Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I've been poking around for random stuff like new nozzles for my 3d printer or camera accessories and to see the shipping price, the storefront forces you to enter your email, and if you don't follow through with the purchase, I now 100% of the time get an email reminding me about the items I "forgot" in my cart. This sucks, I'm clearing carts if I don't actually purchase anything but I'm sure they're still harvesting all that data and selling it to someone regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ProperCoochie posted:

My theory is the rise of content creation and social media stars has led to more dog owners. Because it's such a quick and efficient way to make a scroller pause and watch your content, generate engagement. What quicker way to a person's heartstrings? Same simple reason there's so many babies/cats/dogs in TV commercials.

Remember like a year ago when some YouTube woman bought a new puppy and accidentally posted herself kicking and slapping it because it wasn't cute enough and didn't rocket her to stardom? Dog ownership is on the rise bc it's a career move

I get an endless barrage of this too. Right in my main mailbox, with phone notification and everything. So aggravating.

No but I bet she got really famous all of a sudden in a way she didn't plan for.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The traffic around my city has gotten shittier.

10 years ago, visiting some family was about a 3, 3.5 hour drive. Now it's 4 hours minimum, and the deadlock always happens in the same spot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

10 years ago, visiting some family was about a 3, 3.5 hour drive. Now it's 4 hours minimum, and the deadlock always happens in the same spot.

Don't worry, politicians have been furiously pushing the "just build more lanes!" button.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Also making sure as many people as possible are on the road because fuel retailers and restauranteurs and corporate landlords have to be guaranteed customers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Amazon Prime video used to have a pretty awesome selection of weird old stuff that was free to watch with Prime and now it's all "free to watch with ads on FreeVee." Cool!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Volcott posted:

I made this post during Real Sleep Deprivation Hours and should have specified I meant the copy of Winamp v5.666 that I keep on a flash drive with Media Player Classic-HC and some other stuff in case the internet dies and I need functional apps that just work:tm: by virtue of not being updated in 10 years.

speaking of, does anyone know what i need to add to my hosts file to block this poo poo from nagging me about updating every time i start it up?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Youtube's content ID algorithm got more aggressive. I'm noticing videos where the background music gets cut out with a really bad filter which makes any voiceover sound super muffled. I thought it was my headphones dying at first.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I jknow, everyone proclaims The Mall dead, but not The Maine Mall. Other than the gaping hole which used to be Sears, the Maine Mall is doing great. Bustling foot traffic, bountiful kiosks, a robust food court. Things look good at The Maine Mall.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
"Report spam and unsubscribe?"

That's a really good idea Gmail, let's make sure this scammer knows they have a live email address.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Volcott posted:

I made this post during Real Sleep Deprivation Hours and should have specified I meant the copy of Winamp v5.666 that I keep on a flash drive with Media Player Classic-HC and some other stuff in case the internet dies and I need functional apps that just work:tm: by virtue of not being updated in 10 years.

I've been getting the 'An update is available' popup for a long time now. I'm happy i never hit that button. I've never actually tried the new winamp, but the old school winamp is just still a good player with great plugins.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Youtube's content ID algorithm got more aggressive. I'm noticing videos where the background music gets cut out with a really bad filter which makes any voiceover sound super muffled. I thought it was my headphones dying at first.

ah ok this helps explain things. i was rewatching an old youtube series and i kept getting sections where the audio would suddenly get really low.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I didn't mind using LinkedIn for job-hunting. It helps. People I've worked with lift each other up and post things.

But now job-hunting on there is a mess. Almost every job posting is a "promoted" posting. So if you're looking for new positions to apply to, you'll see 4 promoted jobs that might not have anything to do with you, then one new one, then 4 more promoted jobs. Oh and things aren't immediately arranged by "most recent" postings, so you have to change it from "relevant". An extra couple of menu clicks before having to dig through the promoted stuff.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
80% of the job offers I get on Linkedin require me to be fluent in a language I don't speak and there's seemingly no option to filter those out. At all. Great design there, champs

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
My old Linksys wireless router let me filter what my kids could and couldn’t access on the Internet. Switched to eero mesh; they make you pay for that feature. gently caress eero, I just set up a Linux firewall.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Whenever YouTube wants to try out some way of enshittifying things, they A/B test it, rolling it out to a small number of their users first. Then YouTube will see how those users' metrics vary from everyone else's metrics, and tune the new "feature" so that it's as aggressive as possible without too many people dropping the platform.

Now, to me, that seems like YouTube is setting themselves up by tuning everything to the exact point where all of their users hate them and are ready to jump ship as soon as a real competitor comes along, but what do I know, I'm not an MBA

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

erosion posted:

That's a really good idea Gmail, let's make sure this scammer knows they have a live email address.

If it helps at all, your email is probably known to like, hundreds or possibly thousands of scam lists. There are millions of scam messages going out every hour. The people who run these scams are basically full business enterprises, with multiple staff, multiple offices, and multiple redundancies. One positive email ping means nothing.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

VikingofRock posted:

Whenever YouTube wants to try out some way of enshittifying things, they A/B test it, rolling it out to a small number of their users first. Then YouTube will see how those users' metrics vary from everyone else's metrics, and tune the new "feature" so that it's as aggressive as possible without too many people dropping the platform.

Now, to me, that seems like YouTube is setting themselves up by tuning everything to the exact point where all of their users hate them and are ready to jump ship as soon as a real competitor comes along, but what do I know, I'm not an MBA
You have already thought about this more than an MBA working at a big corporation, and I am 100% serious, the common internet bitching about corporations only planning a quarter ahead is absolutely correct. The only things that get focus are dead-simple metrics and their quarterly deltas, and if you are insane enough to suggest impacting those deltas in a negative way for long-term strategic reasons, your career is very limited. The corporate world really is as bad as people think it is.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A/B testing was a thing people did before covid. Now you just push commit at 4:55pm and go home.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

DamnCanadian posted:

My old Linksys wireless router let me filter what my kids could and couldn’t access on the Internet. Switched to eero mesh; they make you pay for that feature. gently caress eero, I just set up a Linux firewall.

Trying to prevent your kids from also pursuing the path of goondom?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
No, they can only access somethingawful.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Despite this place’s problems I would much rather my kids be goons than anything else on the internet.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Despite this place’s problems I would much rather my kids be goons than anything else on the internet.

Legacy posters? Nepo goons?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

teen witch posted:

Legacy posters? Nepo goons?

Children of goons should have their goon parent's username in little letters above their reg date. Maybe a coat of arms of some type involving their parents profile pic.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Children of goons should have their goon parent's username in little letters above their reg date. Maybe a coat of arms of some type involving their parents profile pic.

We can do it Icelandic style. For instance, if I have a kid their username is [username] teen witchsdóttir/-sson/-bur.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Contrary to the other poster, I suspect that while many mid-level managers are unaware of the state of things, there are people with a good overview of the whole company. They know that everyone hates what they are doing. But what is anyone going to do about it? Setting up a company to rival youtube would take billions of dollars for an uncertain reward; we see that platforms like Mixer and Facebook gaming are attempting the same in trying to compete with Twitch and are doing little but wasting incredible amounts of money for their parent companies. The video market in particular is hard to break into not just for infrastructural reasons but also because things like youtube's content filtering, while much-loathed, is a difficult and expensive thing to do and is set up to comply with US & EU regulations. Google/Alphabet lobbied specifically in favor of the laws that require it to implement difficult, expensive things like youtube kids & content strikes because they know that while it's a hit to their bottom line to set it up, it makes it impossible for any competitor to ever enter the field without spending incredible sums of money developing similar systems.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

teen witch posted:

We can do it Icelandic style. For instance, if I have a kid their username is [username] teen witchsdóttir/-sson/-bur.

I've seen the other two but am pleasantly surprised to see there is a gender-neutral suffix (since 2019 it looks like).

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

run on sentience posted:

I've seen the other two but am pleasantly surprised to see there is a gender-neutral suffix (since 2019 it looks like).

that's gróóming

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

GolfHole posted:

A/B testing was a thing people did before covid. Now you just push commit at 4:55pm and go home.

Wait. No. I haven't been in software QA since covid hit. Is that like an acceptable thing that has permeated the industry's mentality or is that just your company?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
One of the last software companies I worked for had no QA department and tested basically nothing before release. Just pushed the changes live at the end of day, and the support team got to deal with customer rage and cleaning up the mess in the morning. Repeat the next day.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Traffic hit peak awesome at the start of COVID, and its been in a death spiral since then. It seems like drivers are resigned to sit in gridlock now.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Maybe it’s just my local barber but..

Booking a haircut.

I can’t walk into my local barber, I’ll be turned away even if they are empty. I have to book online:

Using their app.
Which often circles endlessly (enter your details, now log in, enter your details, now log in)
Which makes you choose the hair cut you want ( if you don’t know or it’s not one of the specific options your screwed)
Now you need to enter an email address, and phone number, and credit card.

Yeah cool, I’ll just give you my details for your lovely glitchy app, I’m sure it won’t be hacked in about ten minutes.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Extra row of tits posted:

Which makes you choose the hair cut you want ( if you don’t know or it’s not one of the specific options your screwed)...

I hope the UI is a lovely version of a create a character menu in something like saints row

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of the ATMs near me have turned to poo poo. I used to be able to go up to one and get a $20 and leave in like 15 seconds. Now they're all touchscreen fuckfests so people with visual impairments can't use them and take 10+ seconds to respond to each button press with no indication that the press even registered. So yeah, they also do the thing where if you press the button again because you think it didn't register it suddenly accepts it as multiple button presses in a row with no way of stopping it and next thing you know you're printing a bunch of paper poo poo you don't want and withdrawing from the wrong account.

A lot of the restaurants near me are cash only and now I barely go to even the places I like a lot because the ATM pisses me off every time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bossy lady posted:

I hope the UI is a lovely version of a create a character menu in something like saints row

Having also experienced this bullshit more and more recently, it’s typically “buzz cut; haircut; haircut w/ shears” or something equally ambiguous but each falls in a range between 20 and 60 dollars so I usually book the cheapest option and then negotiate w/cash when I actually get in the chair

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My barber did reservations in 21-22 but went back to "just walk in" at some point after the rose garden speech.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Dip Viscous posted:

All of the ATMs near me have turned to poo poo. I used to be able to go up to one and get a $20 and leave in like 15 seconds. Now they're all touchscreen fuckfests so people with visual impairments can't use them and take 10+ seconds to respond to each button press with no indication that the press even registered. So yeah, they also do the thing where if you press the button again because you think it didn't register it suddenly accepts it as multiple button presses in a row with no way of stopping it and next thing you know you're printing a bunch of paper poo poo you don't want and withdrawing from the wrong account.

A lot of the restaurants near me are cash only and now I barely go to even the places I like a lot because the ATM pisses me off every time.

It's not just ATMs, around here they have been replacing all card terminals with touchscreen ones that like you said have zero provision for anyone with vision impairment, the old machines had stuff like braille on the keypad and headphone sockets for accessibility but now they replaced them with touchscreens so people can't even go to the grocery store or take a taxi without having to give out their pin number. It's a total gently caress you to the blind community.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The strip mall near me has signs up saying that if I want to use the parking there to visit any of the shops, I have to download their app and register my plate whenever I park up. This includes if I'm using their generous 30 minutes of free parking.

Just lol if they expect me to jump through a bunch of hoops for the privilege of spending money at their businesses, and an even bigger lol if they ever decide to give me an (unenforceable) ticket for not complying because it means I just won't go there any more.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Hey now they always hide an audio jack somewhere and also there's always chewing gum in the audio jack but it's there. (The jack isn't connected to the machine, because that costs money.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

erosion posted:

I just had to solve a goddamned captcha to unsubscribe from emails from my own union.