Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guy willing to let this go for $200 :negative: it's supposedly complete Buick 320ci "fireball" straight 8

Anyone want to hazard a guess what that short block weighs? 400 lbs? My trunk is at least 31" wide, I could probably crane it out of my trunk? I don't have an engine hoist

"But don't you already have a 300+ ci straight 8 without a project car to put it in?" I hear you asking. Yes but this is an OHV and aftermarket support for the fireball is pretty good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Probably closer to 550.

the whole engine is 750 and a loaded head is probably only 150

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I have no idea what, if anything this is meant to be pulled behind. Too heavy for a bicycle, tyres look too dinky for a motorbike/car.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 13, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It was a bicycle trailer cart originally, definitely not over it's own load capacity

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My favorite parts are the fire extinguisher and old glory there with 19 stars and 15 stripes.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

boxen posted:

My favorite parts are the fire extinguisher and old glory there with 19 stars and 15 stripes.

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura Mississippi"

Nitrox posted:

It was a bicycle trailer cart originally, definitely not over it's own load capacity

Yeah, they do look like bicycle cart wheels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats the new Oceangate sub.

For sale: Billionaire sub, think outside the box and take trips to the Titanic!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

This is right up the road from my house...

I'm guessing it's 90% Crown Vic so parts would be cheap. I have no reason to buy this other than it's my style. I have an '07 Legacy now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than not being a beautiful couch on wheels. Someone talk me out of this.

It is 90% Crown Vic. Literally all the mechanical bits. Biggest difference other than body panels is that it's 6" longer in the rear seat footwells, and like a foot longer in the butt than a standard Crown Vic/Grand Marquis (there is an extended CV intended for Taxi service that is also 6" longer in the rear footwells, BTW.) I'd say that's a pretty good value. Fuel mileage is not great (16/21 or so,) but parts are cheap, and most fixes are simple, if not easy. It's not quite bailing wire and sledgehammer simple (there are some electronics, but generally older well understood stuff) but they made a billion of them for like 3 decades with not a lot of changes.

It's not just a beautiful couch on wheels, it's a *V8* couch on wheels. I love my V8 couch. 250 HP isn't a lot, but it's enough, and the torque is there.
That's going to have airbags in the rear. The fact that it's not squatting says they are currently good!

Powershift posted:

Depending on the climate, it's probably got a poo poo ton of idle hours, too.

The ford mod motors get a bad rap for their common glaring failures, but i can't think of a passenger vehicle engine out there that has moved more people/stuff more distance.

I don't think there's an engine out there that more people have been personally been transported by, at least in North America.

a 400k mile ford would still give me pause. Even if the engine and trans are solid, all the switch gear and stuff, ugh.

Eh, stuff seems to be solid in these things.
You're probably right about the engine moving more stuff and people. They've been making the mod motor since, what, '96? and it's been in literally every Panther chassis, a whole lot of Mustangs, a poo poo-ton of F-whatevers and Expeditions, etc. in some flavor.

Only thing that's been in more stuff *might* be the small-block Chevy. I'd say probably if you include all the non-LSx ones (gen 1-4?). Certainly if you do include LSx.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Darchangel posted:

Eh, stuff seems to be solid in these things.
You're probably right about the engine moving more stuff and people. They've been making the mod motor since, what, '96? and it's been in literally every Panther chassis, a whole lot of Mustangs, a poo poo-ton of F-whatevers and Expeditions, etc. in some flavor.

The Mod motor debuted in the 91 Town Car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Plus if you want more than 250HP I’m sure there’s a ton of parts you can buy for it since it was in the Mustang.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If you end up buying it, there's also the Panther Thread!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

The Mod motor debuted in the 91 Town Car.

Wow. Older than I though. I was being lazy not looking it up.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Plus if you want more than 250HP I’m sure there’s a ton of parts you can buy for it since it was in the Mustang.

Absolutely, though some stuff has to be modded for the chassis. Not a lot of performance stuff directed at the Panthers. Headers, for example, have to have the EGR, I believe it is, either capped or moved to the other side, except for one set of quite expensive Doug's headers. Actual engine stuff is usually good. Cams, heads, etc. Intake is sorta unique, but pretty good as-is.

I would *love* to have a supercharged Cobra 4-cam 4.6L in mine. That would be just silly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Darchangel posted:

I would *love* to have a supercharged Cobra 4-cam 4.6L in mine. That would be just silly.
I remember reading an article (I think it was Car & Driver) in the late 90s that talked about the vehicles the Secret Service used. It mentioned a custom version of the Crown Vic that was made by Ford that had a supercharged Cobra 4.6 in it (I assume it was a precursor to the Terminator) with a F-250 transmission behind it to handle the torque.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hadlock posted:

Guy willing to let this go for $200 :negative: it's supposedly complete Buick 320ci "fireball" straight 8

Anyone want to hazard a guess what that short block weighs? 400 lbs? My trunk is at least 31" wide, I could probably crane it out of my trunk? I don't have an engine hoist

"But don't you already have a 300+ ci straight 8 without a project car to put it in?" I hear you asking. Yes but this is an OHV and aftermarket support for the fireball is pretty good actually

Rent a cherry picker and a uhaul truck.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good motor 2JZ-GE
Good transmission
Runs and drives
Can test drive
Started as project but don’t have time
Asking 1,250 OBO

Hablo español y inglés

Buen motor
Buena transmisión
Corre bien todo funciona
Era un projecto pero no tengo tiempo
1,250 o mejor oferta

Recently reduced to $1000

I'm honestly kind of alarmed how much this looks like an EZ-GO brand golf cart

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 16, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm amazed it hasn't folded in a variety of different ways yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The seller is a bus/limo service so i'd imagine everything was serviced well over the years. With that kind of mileage the engine would have been replaced or rebuilt at some point right? Heads at the VERY least. I don't know of any regular engine in any car that will go 430k with the OG internals intact. I've been making some calls about selling a few things. If the planets align and it's still there once I gather $3k, and it drives Ok I'll buy it. Who knows, I might fall in love with the thing and sell my Subaru. Or I could throw a stereo in it and flip it to someone at work and pocket a few hundred bucks. Or it does a blues brothers the moment I hand over the cash.

Also, I got a pic of the interior and VIN...

lol there's absolutely no reason to believe its well maintained because its a limo company

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cage posted:

I'm sorry to inform you guys, but this car has gained $300 in value since it was last posted two years ago.

It also lost two model years and removed 20k miles!
He updated the ad with pictures of the actual car.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/660111695961993/

Yeesh.

Theres also this pic:

Enhance:

:confused: what?? :confused:

I google "old goat pickleball" and find this website - https://oldgoatvideo.com/

I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. What is this.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

lol there's absolutely no reason to believe its well maintained because its a limo company

A little update on that car. I just had to get a bunch of dental work so I just don't have the extra money to buy a car I don't really need at the moment.

I told a buddy at work about it though. He actually went and took it for a drive. He said the transmission was definitely hosed. A noticeable delay going into gear and it was slipping like mad. Aside from that it's fine. Now I understand why it been sitting there so long.

I imagine replacing the Trans in one of those isn't a horrible job but nobody I know has the time or resources to do it. As far as I know it's still there for anyone that may want it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

A little update on that car. I just had to get a bunch of dental work so I just don't have the extra money to buy a car I don't really need at the moment.

I told a buddy at work about it though. He actually went and took it for a drive. He said the transmission was definitely hosed. A noticeable delay going into gear and it was slipping like mad. Aside from that it's fine. Now I understand why it been sitting there so long.

I imagine replacing the Trans in one of those isn't a horrible job but nobody I know has the time or resources to do it. As far as I know it's still there for anyone that may want it.

It's not (as far as jobs like that go) and the transmission is *extremely* common.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

That's unfortunate. Very slim possibility that its a tuning issue, I know my Town Car is a little slow shifting into gear, or changing gear when I put the pedal down, I've always chalked it up to it being old-people-car syndrome. Grandpa and grandma don't want quick, crisp shifts.

It was mentioned though that the car had the transmission replaced what, 60k miles ago? That seems like not enough time for it to go bad again unless the replacement transmission was also bad or the job was done badly.

But

Darchangel posted:

It's not (as far as jobs like that go) and the transmission is *extremely* common.

This is also true.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.maauctions.com/auctions/24484/lot/57933-1986-aquavette-air-boat

batman vibes

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Yes, but Adam West Batman.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

Aka the best Batman. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Carth Dookie posted:

Aka the best Batman. :colbert:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I love that it's a 1-seater. You're not out on the lake with friends to mess around and have some fun. In this, you're on a mission.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nice thing is you can fire it up for some extra oomph traveling on the road.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

NoWake posted:

I love that it's a 1-seater. You're not out on the lake with friends to mess around and have some fun. In this, you're on a mission.

Now, pay attention 007 -

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pass by this pristine mid-80s AMC Eagle, walk on from this 1978 Mercury Zephyr coupe, shun this really good looking early 1980s AMC Concord wagon.

Instead, look, possibly even L@@K, at this 1979 AMC AMX Spirit V8.

PS> I thought AMC was using galvanized steel for lower bits by now, why is it rusty down there

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Honestly on those you're better off with the Straight 6 than the V8, unless you want to swap in a 360 (AMC, not Dodge) or a 401. At least you could get a 4 spd with the 6 and the V8 wasn't really even faster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I just think it's weird to say by now referencing 45 years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I just think it's weird to say by now referencing 45 years ago.

Yeah, galvanizing only works for just so long. It’s sacrificial, so limited by how much zinc there is. Salt will kill it tout de suite ( I think I spelled that right. )

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

That Mercury Zephyr is a fox body, I imagine that has a lot of possibilities.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Zephyr and a Spirit are the first two cars i remember my family having where my memories start in mid-1984.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fornax Disaster posted:

That Mercury Zephyr is a fox body, I imagine that has a lot of possibilities.
Definition of generic "car" in the dictionary.

Super basic, but looks clean as hell too.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1983-mazda-rx-limited-edition/7645149897.html

Practically the same condition and previous owner history as when I got my RX-7 a dozen years ago, except asking nearly quadruple the price. If only Giselle wasn't turning into Frankenstein's monster now, I'd have an investment. just kidding, I'm not planning on selling my car once the repairs are complete so she's technically priceless

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I don't know who is buying these cars at prices like that. People are insane.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would understand if this was 1985 with a 13b engine and super low miles. But I don't think there's anything special about that '83 other than the sticker.

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know who is buying these cars at prices like that. People are insane.

Nobody, since it's still listed for sale. But we can revisit this conversation if it actually sells at anywhere close to that amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I would understand if this was 1985 with a 13b engine and super low miles. But I don't think there's anything special about that '83 other than the sticker.

Nobody, since it's still listed for sale. But we can revisit this conversation if it actually sells at anywhere close to that amount.

Yeah, the insane people are the sellers. I've been casually browsing cars to get something newer and it's baffling too. Seeing a few year old used cars with 120k miles for not much less than new is nuts to me. Just gonna end up running my car into the ground at this rate.