Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Binary Domain is not on your list and you should rectify that immediately.
Yeah, seconding that. It's janky but it just nails the feeling of a cheap action flick.

You might want to include the Ace Combat series? It's fighting planes but they are heavily story-focused and do pathos and escalation really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Metal Wolf Chaos has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating. BECAUSE I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA :byodood:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

What are great, more obscure Ameriboo games?

I'm talking games made in Japan and set in America, or with a very heavy inspiration from American 80's action and horror movies. I pretty much always love this tone and style, and I'm open to games that are in the vein even if they're not from Japan or take place in America.

Here's a list of ones I've played/tried

Resident Evil (series)
Metal Gear Solid(series)
Death Stranding
Dead Rising (series)
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Deadly Premonition (series)
No More Heroes 3
Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Vanquish
Die Hard Arcade
Dynamite Cop
D2
Blue Stinger
Illbleed
Wanted:Dead (takes place in Hong Kong but scratches this itch)

Somethings I like that pops up in a lot of these games are big villain characters, good voice acting, stories that are constantly escalating, stories that are confined to one location (helps the pacing) and jacked bros getting kinda homoerotic with eachother.

God Hand
Shadows of the Damned or Resonance of Fate, maybe
Yakuza 0 is not USA-inspired but it is in the 80s and checks off every item in your last sentence

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 14, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Hwurmp posted:

God Hand
Shadows of the Damned or Resonance of Fate, maybe
Yakuza 0 is not USA-inspired but it is in the 80s and checks off every item in your last sentence

drat played all of those. God Hand is an all timer for me. I've contemplated playing Resonance of Fate again, but how are the cutscenes?I

'm not a huge fan of Yakuza personally. Wish I was but I ain't.

Generally the games I'm looking for take place in a day or two, like most action movie's do and Yakuza's story is longer. It gives the whole thing a less urgent feel.

However, if you have an intro level where the main character's best friend dies and then do a "1 year later" thats awesome. Bonus points if the villain of the game is secretly the main character's dead friend.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 14, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fighting Elegy posted:

Lost Planet 2
Metal Slug
Doublecheck to make sure you played Metal Gear Rising
Kingdom Hearts
Time Crisis
Maybe EDF? A lot of the more militarized things will be heavily American-influenced. Often when tracking down american influences, you'll often run into entire genres of things born out of American influence and fermented on their own within Japanese pop culture into something else (Spiderman somehow is key in the formation of the sentai genre). Japan is exposed to way more American pop culture than America is exposed to Japanese pop culture.

Dragon's Dogma has a similar thing going where it's clearly heavily inspired by western RPGs and trying to emulate that, but all fantasy is British by default, so there's not a whole lot of direct American references.

I keep wanting to say Valkyria Chronicles, but I'm not really sure how specifically American it feels even though it is clearly a retelling of the European front of WW2 from the allies' perspective. I guess VC4 has more American feel maybe? Definitely not 80s.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fighting Elegy posted:

drat played all of those. God Hand is an all timer for me. I've contemplated playing Resonance of Fate again, but how are the cutscenes?I

'm not a huge fan of Yakuza personally. Wish I was but I ain't.

Generally the games I'm looking for take place in a day or two, like most action movie's do and Yakuza's story is longer. It gives the whole thing a less urgent feel.

However, if you have an intro level where the main character's best friend dies and then do a "1 year later" thats awesome. Bonus points if the villain of the game is secretly the main character's dead friend.

Sleeping dogs tells the story of one man trying to balance his experience in america with his new life in Hong Kong. Admittedly not a Japanese made game, but it tells a good story and the gameplay is top notch.

I think the entire story takes place over about 6 months? Certain parts feel very urgent

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I really need a fun, single-player time waster. I have a lot of spare brain cycles while I monitor readouts, wait for alarms or processes to finish, sit on conference calls where I never speak, or listen to podcasts. I love games where the physics feel responsive, the controls are simple but satisfying to master, and that encourage playing over and over. Because I'm always playing on mute, sound can't be required, so no rhythm games or the like.

Here's a list of some stuff I've played and enjoyed that worked for this purpose, but I've gotten tired of:

-Rocket League. This has by far the most hours (an obscene amount) I've ever spent on a video game because of this use case. However, with the toxic community and the influx of bots, I had to leave the game behind.
-Dead Cells. A fully amazing game that I still go back to once in a while, but I now get bored of pretty quickly because I've done it all.
-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Unfortunately, I don't usually care for mining / farming / crafting games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley.

Thanks!

Reo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 15, 2023

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Reo posted:

I really need a fun, single-player time waster. I have a lot of spare brain cycles while I monitor readouts, wait for alarms or processes to finish, sit on conference calls where I never speak, or listen to podcasts. I love games where the physics feel responsive, the controls are simple but satisfying to master, and that encourage playing over and over. Because I'm always playing on mute, sound can't be required, so no rhythm games or the like.

Here's a list of some stuff I've played and enjoyed that worked for this purpose, but I've gotten tired of:

-Rocket League. This has by far the most hours (an obscene amount) I've ever spent on a video game because of this use case. However, with the toxic community and the influx of bots, I had to leave the game behind.
-Dead Cells. A fully amazing game that I still go back to once in a while, but I now get bored of pretty quickly because I've done it all.
-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!

Have you tried Risk of Rain 2? Fun both solo and with friends. And what you're describing sounds like how I put over 200 hours into that game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Unfortunately, I don't usually care for mining / farming / crafting games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley.

Thanks!

Nova Drift

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!

What about Penarium? There's a demo to see if it clicks with you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Nova Drift

gently caress yes hard agree.

To add a little info here:

It’s asteroids, but with builds. Dead is dead and you restart. Every so many kills, you get a bundle of upgrades to pick from like in Hades with its boons. There are lots and lots and lots of synergies, and furthermore you can decide on the chassis of your ship, which enables some specialized upgrades while locking out others. There are so many ways to play that game it’s insane, and they all feel good to play.

Wanna turn the game into Joust, increasing the damage of a flaming lance sticking out the nose of your ship as you gain speed and distance? Fully supported.

Wanna have a bunch of turrets that help you out in a range of different ways and combos? Go for it.

Wanna blanket the screen in cluster bombs? Hell yeah buddy.

Want the flame trail off the back of your ship to get longer and longer and longer so you’re playing psychadelic Snake and burning everythign to death? You got it.

I’ve barely said anything. There’s so much stuff.

It has metaprogression but that’s probably a good thing cause it mostly widens the drop pool.

It also looks incredible.

The controls take a bit of getting used to, since the drift in the title is no joke and you have to manage your inertia.

Once you get the feel it’s pure dopamine, explosions, and flow.

End of the game will need a good build. From what I’ve seen anyway I never got there.

Everyone should play it really. It’s in EA but don’t let that scare you off it gets updates somewhat infrequently but it’s pretty much a complete game as is, I think. And apparently there’s more planned though I haven’t kept up.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 15, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!

Slay the Spire
[Insert warriors game of choice] Warriors if you're at all into Musou games, I'd recommend Hyrule Warriors but really whatever one is based on something you're interested in is probably the best bet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!

Rogue Legacy 2?

e: if you've never played it you can get Rogue Legacy 1 for cheap and try it out, RL2 is the same thing just more of it and nicer graphics.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I forgot to mention Risk of Rain 2. I've also played that one out. Rogue Legacy 2 wasn't to my tastes unfortunately. Nova Drift reminds me I also forgot to mention Everspace 2, that one was good for a while.

I'll look into these others. Keep 'em coming!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

maybe a little outside of your listed games (other than XCOM2) but Battle Brothers and Into the Breach have both absorbed countless boring work hours for me

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!
If you liked Desperados 3, you should enjoy Shadow Tactics.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, Sproggiwood, and Tangledeep are all goonmade roguelikes, so turn-based dungeoncrawling tactical combat.

Peglin is roguelite Peggle, which in turn is Pachinko turned into an actual game instead of gambling.

Sky Rogue is roguelike Ace Combat, swooshy arcade airplanes.

Cryptark is a twin-stick shooter about exploring and looting derelict alien ships. Also roguelike. You may be detecting a theme with my suggestions :v: Roguelikes are good for replayability.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Reo posted:

-Hades. See Dead Cells.
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Skate 3
-X-com 2
-Desperados 3

Thanks!

Noita?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Reo posted:

Thanks!

vampire survivors

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Art of rally? It gets even better with the sound on, but can definitely play it with sound off and there's a lot of love that went into it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
OlliOlli World feels great to play.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Reo posted:

I forgot to mention Risk of Rain 2. I've also played that one out. Rogue Legacy 2 wasn't to my tastes unfortunately. Nova Drift reminds me I also forgot to mention Everspace 2, that one was good for a while.

I'll look into these others. Keep 'em coming!

If you liked Everspace 2 you might like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for a game with a lot of emphasis on character builds and a lot of clever compound equipment/skill effects. Basically Diablo but I'm already playing too much Diablo.

I'm addicted to switching up skills and changing out equipment to either trigger a cool combination or just eke out a little more effectiveness. But not another overhead arpg, which is where this type of gameplay lives as far as I can see. Also the Souls games and soulslikes might fall into the description, but again I've played them to death.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a game with a lot of emphasis on character builds and a lot of clever compound equipment/skill effects. Basically Diablo but I'm already playing too much Diablo.

I'm addicted to switching up skills and changing out equipment to either trigger a cool combination or just eke out a little more effectiveness. But not another overhead arpg, which is where this type of gameplay lives as far as I can see. Also the Souls games and soulslikes might fall into the description, but again I've played them to death.

Monster Hunter
Dragon's Dogma

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm talking games made in Japan and set in America, or with a very heavy inspiration from American 80's action and horror movies. I pretty much always love this tone and style, and I'm open to games that are in the vein even if they're not from Japan or take place in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1HahKYZzc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not at all the kind of game you're strictly talking about but have you ever played Noita? There's no characterbuilding but your wandbuilding is awesome and has all kinds of crazy combinations.

Also way back in the retro world there's FF5. "Clever compound equipment/skill effects" is exactly why it's still the basis of four job fiestas 30 years later

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

Roguelites seem like the ideal way to do this. Specifically I will mention Nova Drift as having a very wide range of viable builds and generally not being RNG-dependent for accessing builds.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Destiny 2

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh my god Troubleshooter is amazing for this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Monster Hunter
Dragon's Dogma

My Monster Hunter build is "must perform louder and bonk harder" :gaz:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

The first thing that really springs to mind is Backpack Hero, which is a turn-based roguelike thing where you must arrange your character's backpack to have items to use to get through the dungeon. You need to arrange things to get bonuses from the interaction of different items. In a similar vein, there's a lot of card-based things where you can get lost trying to arrange your deck to have interacting effects, like the Guild of Dungeoneering or Slay the Spire.

If you really want more action RPGs, I dunno, the Bioware back catalog might have something with Dragon Age or Jade Empire or Knights of the Old Republic? Maybe even Megaman Battle Network, a weird card turn-action rpg hybrid.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here's a tricky one.

I enjoy survival crafting games. I love being stranded with no resources and having to craft my way to victory. Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, etc.

But.

I want to build for other people besides just myself! I got this a bit with 7DTD where I crafted for a whole bunch of people but then I got bored because we all played different times and basically when I was around usually only a couple others were also around and it wasn't very satisfying.

So I was thinking - what about a game where you build for NPCs? I have plenty of fun 'base building' games and they're great (And postapoc base builders like Surviving the Aftermath and Endzone and the like feel close to survival crafting but really aren't), but are there any survival crafting games where you can build a base that other NPCs move into?

The only one that comes to mind is Fallout 4, and that is one of my favorite games, but I've played a LOT of it. I know Terraria lets you build a base that people can move into, but that's also not really survival crafting? I mean kind of but not really?

Is there anything else out there or coming soonish that might fit that bill?

khy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 18, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Dragon Quest builders series I think is built around the concept, but I don't really know anything about it aside from the demo.

You can sort of do it in Minecraft, but I don't think there's really many systems worth engaging with when making villages for Minecraft villagers. Back when I used to play Minecraft I did just kinda build towns just for the hell of it. It's also the point of Spiritfarer, but you don't really have much design decisions with that, you just build the houses that your passengers want. Maybe the Stronghold series?

Maybe you'd like just playing a citybuilding game? I think Timberborn lets you build on a small enough scale that you might be satisfied seeing the movements of individual beavers. Tropico is bigger scale, but doesn't really inundate you with too many economic systems, and is just good fun for getting into the genre. Cities Skylines is there if you wanna design traffic systems. Frostpunk is a more challenging game where you have to do your best to keep people alive.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

khy posted:

Colony Survival is the closest I can think of but it's only shakily related. You build a base for npcs to give jobs to which does include bunch of different craftings and tech tiers that you go through. At night you have to have dudes who defend the base and its gets harder the more wealth you have. You can still run around with a bow yourself to help defend or whatever but most of the time you'll be placing down crafting stations and telling your dudes where to build. The only non-combat 'survival' aspect is having to feed your dudes or they die, though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

khy posted:

Here's a tricky one.

I enjoy survival crafting games. I love being stranded with no resources and having to craft my way to victory. Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, etc.

But.

I want to build for other people besides just myself! I got this a bit with 7DTD where I crafted for a whole bunch of people but then I got bored because we all played different times and basically when I was around usually only a couple others were also around and it wasn't very satisfying.

So I was thinking - what about a game where you build for NPCs? I have plenty of fun 'base building' games and they're great (And postapoc base builders like Surviving the Aftermath and Endzone and the like feel close to survival crafting but really aren't), but are there any survival crafting games where you can build a base that other NPCs move into?

The only one that comes to mind is Fallout 4, and that is one of my favorite games, but I've played a LOT of it. I know Terraria lets you build a base that people can move into, but that's also not really survival crafting? I mean kind of but not really?

Necesse maybe. It’s sort of top down terraria but with more of a colony management vibe. It’s not quite what you’re describing tho

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Dragon Quest builders series I think is built around the concept, but I don't really know anything about it aside from the demo.

This is what I was going to suggest. It isn't a survival crafter per se, it's more of a town builder rpg. You have to go out and fight monsters and gather materials, and then come back and build up your settlement. You're building a functional settlement, so food, crops, lodging, workshops etc, and there are NPCs that work and live there. DQBuilders 2 is a really awesome game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What are cool life sim games? Less The Sims and more.. I dunno, Friends of Ringo Ishikawa or Growing Up? Aside from Persona.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

What are cool life sim games? Less The Sims and more.. I dunno, Friends of Ringo Ishikawa or Growing Up? Aside from Persona.

I Was a Teenage Exocolonist

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shine posted:

My Monster Hunter build is "must perform louder and bonk harder" :gaz:

This is also my guide to sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

khy posted:

Here's a tricky one.

But.

My Time at Sandrock.