Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That part felt a lot like a TOS thing similar to how NOMAD talks in 'The Changeling'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

"Ugly! Ugly! Giant bags of mostly water!"

Home Soil, I love it, I'm crying with laughter. A reasonably compelling mystery, an inorganic lifeform Picard and Co. are slowly coming to understand, then they finally make contact with it and it starts ROASTING in a hilarious "I! AM! A! ROBOT!" voice.

A classic moment, but I still wish they hadn't said the thing was being powered by the room lighting, which should be barely enough to run a solar-powered calculator. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a bit of technobabble to plaster over that. Here, I'll spitball a line of dialogue for Data right now that does exactly that: "Captain, the crystal is somehow siphoning power from the high-energy plasma in the ship's EPS conduits. I do not yet completely understand this process, but it appears that the energy transfer is being catalyzed by... photons in the visible-light range." Boom, plausibility restored and the rest of the episode can play out as written, complete with starving it by turning off the lights.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean it also could just be an extremely efficient photovoltaic or something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean it also could just be an extremely efficient photovoltaic or something

There are only so many joules of energy in the photons from the light bulbs, so even if you catch 100% of that, it wouldn't be enough to shake the ship around like it was doing. Like you couldn't invent an "extremely efficient paddlewheel" that would power a factory from the water flow in your kitchen sink. There just isn't that much energy there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrMojok posted:

Perfectly stated.

On a different topic, I was just looking up “Funniest Star Trek episodes” and found out about Little Green Men, which is a Ferengi episode that I’ve never seen.

And a couple of different lists called it “The funniest Trek episode ever” so man… I am pumped up to see this now.

The lists need to be updated, this week's Strange New Worlds, s2e5 "Charades", is hilarious. There are just so many great little character moments throughout the episode. Anson Mount is killing it in scenes where he doesn't have any lines. It's also one of the best Spock episodes ever, and definitely the best Amanda episode ever. If you're sleeping on SNW, fix that, s2 has some all-time great Trek.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

mllaneza posted:

The lists need to be updated, this week's Strange New Worlds, s2e5 "Charades", is hilarious. There are just so many great little character moments throughout the episode. Anson Mount is killing it in scenes where he doesn't have any lines. It's also one of the best Spock episodes ever, and definitely the best Amanda episode ever. If you're sleeping on SNW, fix that, s2 has some all-time great Trek.

I’m not sleeping on SNW, but I am two episodes behind. Sounds like I need to get caught up!

Little Green Men wasn’t the funniest Trek ever. It certainly had a couple of funny moments, and I did like the episode, but it didn’t make me LOL as many times as The Magnificent Ferengi did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I’m not sleeping on SNW, but I am two episodes behind. Sounds like I need to get caught up!

Little Green Men wasn’t the funniest Trek ever. It certainly had a couple of funny moments, and I did like the episode, but it didn’t make me LOL as many times as The Magnificent Ferengi did.

There hasn't really been a dud episode this season like there was last year, but this last episode was uniquely amazing in its own special way. Though even when it came to season 1, the episodes that people thought were the clunkers were never universally agreed upon like how you could point to certain episodes of TNG, DS9 or Voyager and go "That one sucked, we all agree on it", so there's something for everyone in SNW.

Also I guess a head's up for the next SNW episode you're up for: don't watch it with headphones on and have your hand hovering over the mute button for the first half of it, there's some very obnoxiously loud ear-ringing noises in it, some of them really prolonged.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I skipped that one and watched Charades instead, and it did not disappoint!

Now I’ll grab my earplugs and go back and check out The Lotus Eaters

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I've started watching Star Trek again, having left off early in series 2 a few months ago and holy poo poo The Changeling just dives in head first with the sexism:

"That unit is a woman."
"A mass of conflicting impulses."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

if janeway was a man voyager would have never gone to the coffee nebula

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

ERROR! ERROR! THE FEMALE SAYS NOTHING IS WRONG BUT CLEARLY SHE IS UPSET!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nomad is a huge prick anyway

Oh lol I forgot that it completely wiped away Uhura's every memory and so they just retaught her everything and she was fine

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Nomad is a huge prick anyway

Oh lol I forgot that it completely wiped away Uhura's every memory and so they just retaught her everything and she was fine

The fact that when she was frustrated she broke out in Swahili leads me to believe it wasn't really full-on wiped.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

it do be like that

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
finished s5 of voyager and there wasn't anything really standout, "gravity"/"bliss"/"dark frontier" were alright

"Survival instinct" from the start of s6 was pretty good but then was followed a few episodes later with paris really wants to gently caress a spaceship in "alice" and before that they kinda whiffed what could have been a good klingon episode in "barge of the dead"

Arivia posted:

a Very Good Episode.

It wasn't the worst by far (damning with faint praise) I was just a bit taken aback by how little you would need to cut to turn it into a generic seasonal xmas romance

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

need retail therapy after being punched during pregnancy by bones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barge of the Dead was RDMs second and last VOY script, and I imagine that the tension he had with a now power-mad Braga probably hurt both the script and the episode itself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Barge of the Dead was RDMs second and last VOY script, and I imagine that the tension he had with a now power-mad Braga probably hurt both the script and the episode itself.

I thought you meant Robert Duncan McNeill and was very confused

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

That explains why the cold open is a bunch of Klingons storming the Voyager set and brutally murdering the rest of the crew and dragging B'Elanna away to Hell. He was probably working out some issues with that one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got to Day of the Dove on my TOS watch and while Trials and Tribble-ations is of course the ultimate tribute, bringing back Michael Ansara, William Campbell, and John Colicos back to play modern-era Klingons in DS9 was such a good nod. And they all deliver, Colicos especially.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Even then, he only worked on the story. Moore had already quit before the actual scripting began (Bryan Fuller took over for that role).

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I also decided to watch Voyager and I'm sort of enjoying a lot of the episodes and a few are quite good. I guess a couple of decades of distance from the hype machine about how different it would be and comparing it to the dire poo poo that came after it has improved my opinion somewhat.

One thing I that really amused me is Chakotay being pissed that he had two spies in his crew and then Janeway and Tuvok don't clue him in on their plan to use Paris to find the spy. Dude is the most gullible man in the galaxy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I also decided to watch Voyager and I'm sort of enjoying a lot of the episodes and a few are quite good. I guess a couple of decades of distance from the hype machine about how different it would be and comparing it to the dire poo poo that came after it has improved my opinion somewhat.

One thing I that really amused me is Chakotay being pissed that he had two spies in his crew and then Janeway and Tuvok don't clue him in on their plan to use Paris to find the spy. Dude is the most gullible man in the galaxy.

I agree with Ronald Moore that Voyager should have kept at least some of the fatigue and experience permanent losses at times while Voyager gets more and more jury-rigged during its travels back home, but seeing what he did with the BSG's "everything always turns for worse and this nice thing was in fact the worst part of it" again and again I am also glad Voyager didn't do *that* either.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

I agree with Ronald Moore that Voyager should have kept at least some of the fatigue and experience permanent losses at times while Voyager gets more and more jury-rigged during its travels back home, but seeing what he did with the BSG's "everything always turns for worse and this nice thing was in fact the worst part of it" again and again I am also glad Voyager didn't do *that* either.

I agree. I was also thinking that recently when I was watching some Enterprise. I think they got some replacement parts from some aliens and I thought it would be neat if they had picked up some noticeable parts from other species over time. At least they remembered damage sometimes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I agree. I was also thinking that recently when I was watching some Enterprise. I think they got some replacement parts from some aliens and I thought it would be neat if they had picked up some noticeable parts from other species over time. At least they remembered damage sometimes.

Of course they remembered damage, it was the first time there was serialization in Star Trek. :v:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think being armed with foreknowledge that the show will rarely engage with its premise is helping me enjoy the generic trek episodes more.

A standout bad episode was The Cloud. The idea of the nebula being a living organism was neat but they barely give it any time because there are two B stories and two scenes establishing the French holodeck watering hole that have nothing to do with the plot of the episode. One of those scripts with freshman screenwriting mistakes that makes me curious about the production.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I think being armed with foreknowledge that the show will rarely engage with its premise is helping me enjoy the generic trek episodes more.

A standout bad episode was The Cloud. The idea of the nebula being a living organism was neat but they barely give it any time because there are two B stories and two scenes establishing the French holodeck watering hole that have nothing to do with the plot of the episode. One of those scripts with freshman screenwriting mistakes that makes me curious about the production.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

Got to Day of the Dove on my TOS watch and while Trials and Tribble-ations is of course the ultimate tribute, bringing back Michael Ansara, William Campbell, and John Colicos back to play modern-era Klingons in DS9 was such a good nod. And they all deliver, Colicos especially.

Day of the Dove is a great one, indeed. And I'll also always remember Colicos as Baltar in the original Galactica.

My Trek of the day (but with many more to come, I suspect) was the TOS episode The Doomsday Machine (s2e6). This is one that I think really holds up, to this day. I love the idea of the Doomsday Device having been created by intelligent beings, their civilizations long since destroyed, but this thing has just kept on chugging, perhaps for thousands of years, because that's what it was programmed to do.

I also think William Windon had one of the great TOS acting performances. Sure, he's a bit over the top at times, but I love him as the completely unhinged Commodore Matt Decker. The man has lost everything, because he tried to do what he was supposed to do... stop this horrible planet and system-killing machine. If 1701 had encountered it first, it's not unreasonable to believe that Kirk would have done the same thing, resulting in the loss of his own ship.

Kirk being isolated on Constellation while Decker takes advantage of Starfleet rules/chain of command to take control of Enterprise, was a great touch. As was Decker committing suicide by driving a shuttle into the great maw of the beast, with Kirk being inspired by that, to solo-pilot the wreck of the Constellation and make a bigger bang.

When I watch these TOS episodes, I do it using P+ or my excellent TOS blu-ray set, which gives you the option to watch the episode with the 60s effects shots, or the updated CGI ones. I always watch with the updated ones, myself.

I do know a couple of people who insist on watching them as they originally aired, but I have never really understood that. The CGI changes to TOS are nothing but great IMO, none of them are intrusive, or make any significant changes... the ship scenes just look a lot better.

I won't make a habit of doing this ITT, and I'm sure a lot of you or most of you have seen the original shots, but here's how the damage to Constellation looks with the CGI updates:

And lastly, Kirk's heroic charge into the maw of the planet-killer

i dearly love TOS and while a lot of it is terribly dated today, and I'm not talking about the effects shots now, it will always hold a special place in my heart. And this episode definitely places in my top ten of TOS.

e: i forgot, it also gave us some great lines

Kirk: Bones, did you ever hear of the doomsday machine?
McCoy: No. I'm a doctor, not a mechanic.

And what is to me one of the best TOS lines ever:

Spock: You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore. The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 15, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

The CGI changes to TOS are nothing but great IMO, none of them are intrusive, or make any significant changes

Um, yeah, no. There are some decent ones but by and large they're terrible, especially in The Doomsday Machine, with the Enterprise zipping around like a fighter jet firing phasers at it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Yeah the original stuff is obviously extremely dated but I find it charming compared to the syfy original level CGI.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

holefoods posted:

Yeah the original stuff is obviously extremely dated but I find it charming compared to the syfy original level CGI.

The TOS Remastered CGI was also done extremely quickly, on a low budget. The Okudas and the team at CBS did their best, but the finished work was rushed, low-res (I think it was only finished at 720p) and generally looks like garbo. It was far from the labor of painstaking love that the TNG HD project was.

Edit: Like, so many of the changes in this particular episode are unnecessary at best and flat-out ugly at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cij2kF5SU1Q

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 15, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is it weird for me to say that I'd like to see SNW have Matt Decker show up, just to do a character study on him when he's not mad with grief?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

Um, yeah, no. There are some decent ones but by and large they're terrible, especially in The Doomsday Machine, with the Enterprise zipping around like a fighter jet firing phasers at it.

Mr Timby, you have harshed my sentimental and pharmaceutical buzz here. Prepare to be boarded and account for your actions in front of a Starfleet Command tribunal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Is it weird for me to say that I'd like to see SNW have Matt Decker show up, just to do a character study on him when he's not mad with grief?

With the hit/miss ratio on new trek takes on old characters maybe it would work, maybe he'd have always been a murderer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MrMojok posted:

e: i forgot, it also gave us some great lines

"Gentlemen, I suggest you beam me aboard."

A.o.D. posted:

I would love the gently caress out of that. Accompanied by a bright, happy rendition of the Constellation's leitmotif.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MrMojok posted:

i dearly love TOS and while a lot of it is terribly dated today, and I'm not talking about the effects shots now, it will always hold a special place in my heart. And this episode definitely places in my top ten of TOS.

100% same.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"the doomsday machine" is awesome. i love the idea of this gigantic, ancient thing just going around the galaxy and gobbling up planets. it's an incredibly simple premise, but it's an effective one. william windom is definitely a little hammy and over the top in the episode, but he sells it. decker is supposed to be a broken man, of course he's gonna act oddly. the music is used very effectively too. i think it's a great episode

and yeah TOS owns hard. i don't care if its dated, i love it :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

and yeah TOS owns hard. i don't care if its dated, i love it :colbert:

TOS' gender politics have aged like milk, but in that respect it's a product of its time.

It still holds the uncontested championship of "best first season of a Trek TV series," though, and it isn't even close.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yes it does! I've always thought that TOS' first season is exceptionally strong, even with turds like Mudd's Women and Alternative Factor. I do wish the season had ended with City on the Edge of Forever, though. Operation: Annihilate! is not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
TOS season one is an incredible run of episodes with only two (Conscience of the King and The Alternative Factor) that I have no full opinion of whatsoever, since they both genuinely put me to sleep every time I tried to watch them. Maybe they're great? I do not know!

Just had a pretty excellent two-fer of TNG eps, Coming of Age and Heart of Glory. Both good stuff! Not sure about the clear upper walkways in engineering being fragile enough that you can just fall face first through them onto the lower level, seems like a health and safety blunder. Otherwise, TNG Klingons are metal as gently caress.