Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay, I'll just try it out if it's still active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygSCAAREoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9gvqrkK2og

Only reason you need to play DBD this summer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Okay, I'll just try it out if it's still active

It still has like 40k concurrent players on steam alone. Far from inactive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DBD is still great, and popular, it's just an old game at this point so there are layers of built up history that makes it a bit weird to get into for the first time. Just turn off after game chat and do your best without expectation of victory and you'll have fun.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
People said the fan base is pretty toxic so I might pass :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

There's definitely toxicity but it generally is reserved for the more experienced players and MMR. Just have fun, don't expect to win for a while.

We have a thread for DBD, feel free to come join us

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

That's why you just turn off chat and you only see the chat at the post match screen.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
okay I will trust you goons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tired Moritz posted:

It isn't toxic like DOTA, it's just that people get it in their heads to yell at you if you don't play by the perceived e-bushido rules they made up. There are some general community "rules" that most people follow to avoid a bad game for all sides but if you're playing honestly then you won't have an issue. Just turn chat off, *especially* if you are playing killer.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll be devil's advocate then, as a person who enjoys playing games somewhat seriously and getting better at them:

I would not recommend DbD. DbD is a very high investment game with a huge burden of knowledge, especially if you're at all competitive or like to improve at games you play. 100 hours is the minimum to become even halfway competent in either role and still only scratches the surface of the maps, perks and killer powers combinations that you'll see. The game is also ever changing with balance patches and mechanics changes from the developers who, putting it politely, have their heads up their asses when it comes to actual balance issues or problematic gameplay.

Tribalism is also rampant and there's enough ways in game that people can be lovely that it can still cause issues even with post game chat turned off. With post game chat turned off you don't see the text from an angry survivor telling you to kys for daring to look at them or not play how they think you should, and vica verse at the very least. If you are not prepared mentally for this and you've gotten over the initial on-boarding hump of learning and the honeymoon of novel fun has worn off, it can really grind you down.

All that said, there really isn't any other game out there where Michael Myers can hoist Ash from Evil Dead onto a meat hook while Cheryl from Silent Hill and Leon S Kennedy from Resident Evil desperately repair a broken generator. Meanwhile Steve in a Mr Whippy outfit from Stranger things lurks around to try and unhook Ash.

And Nic loving Cage is getting added soon so yeah. Even I'm tempted to play again. DbD does have a really unique charm.

Edit: if you do pick it up, never ever look at the official forums for anything but patches notes. This goes without saying for most games but seriously do not for DbD.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 13, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd also not recommend dbd. I've had to ban friends from talking about dbd. That game turns everyone who plays it into some weird raging psychopath (which is very in universe, i guess) and you'll be better off playing anything else.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

I'd also not recommend dbd. I've had to ban friends from talking about dbd. That game turns everyone who plays it into some weird raging psychopath (which is very in universe, i guess) and you'll be better off playing anything else.

This is the exact reason I stopped playing. The people I played with were baffled at how zen I was about the game and that I didn't rage out or get bothered by how others played. Meanwhile they just would get so angry about the most benign poo poo.

Eventually it wore even me down, so I just uninstalled after hitting 1000 hours. And that amount of game time is just a fraction compared to some of the big streamers and long term players, I dunno how they do it. :shrug:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I would be happier if DbD, as a game that's become a weird clearing house for horror as a genre, was not also built around a story that explicitly condemns all of these characters to an infinite cycle of hopeless suffering.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was playing DBD every single day at least one match for the daily, while working on the challenges for the battle pass/rift. I had some work stuff come up in late 2022 that prevented me from playing, and I missed out on finishing the pass/rift. I was bummed, but then I realized I'd been playing the game like it was a job and not for fun, so I've been on a break most of the year. I still do enjoy logging in and playing it, but I will agree that if you really want to get everything in it and be competitive with all killers, there's still a ton of grinding needed. It's leagues better than it was this time last year, they made some fantastic QOL changes, but it's not "simple".

It's a lot more fun when I *do* play now that I stopped worrying about FOMO.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I really loved that ft13 game in its early days a lot, wish I’d gotten into DBD. Didn’t realize it had licensed characters. Hopping into a 7 year old game that appears to be built around a Skinner box doesn’t sound like something I could do now.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Actually_Tina/status/1680236795555090432?t=YYglb6QJZpbJ-nHBWcLmLw&s=19

Okay I'm sorry, I think I was very very wrong.

It's a translationnfrom a polish article so potential accuracy issues but..."smuggling in some visions of ours" is not what I wanted to read.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it might not be the worst game released that year but it’ll almost certainly be one of the most despised

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eh, I can't blame anyone for being wary of Bloober handling it in general, but that is par for the course with remakes. The onus is still going to be on the game to actually capture the spirit of the original, and if it fails it'll get panned for it. But I'm sure the Resident Evil Remakes are made largely by different people than the originals and take a ton of creative liberties. Dead Space remake throws in a handful of it's own ideas and isn't by the same dev team, but the ideas were good and imo it's even better than the original game.

Seems unfair to expect SH2 to just be a 1:1 recreation. It really just comes down to whether or not they can pull it off, which...maybe? Probably not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think the difference is that Silent Hill 2 isn't really renowned for being a great game mechanically, it is beloved due to it's dark as gently caress story and the music.

Making the game have a more modern feel is fine, but messing with the story is risky. Most people remember the beats of Resident Evil 2 but expanding it didn't bother us as much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I do agree that is some pretty dangerous waters for them to step in lol. But the Dead Space remake did the same thing by adding subplots and imo it was not only fine, but actually pretty good. I think adding new alternate endings can't end well though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can’t be bothered to get mad about any of this because, again, Silent Hill is pretty much a dead franchise anyway. If the Bloober SH2 remake is bad it’ll be like Weezer releasing another bad album. And unlike the music of Weezer, there’s still a small chance it won’t be that bad.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The REmakes were also coasting a bit on the the reputation on the original REmake, despite the many years between. They were also seen as a return to form after RE5-7. So Capcom had proven they were capable of doing a great job as long as they were willing, which Bloober and Konami really hasn't. The Dead Space remake was also contrasted against the Callisto Protocol and won that comparison by a large margin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was gonna say, the Resident Evil 4 remake pretty much fits right into those types of changes, and it was exceptional. Granted, it was Capcom devs on a string of solid hits, so it comes across differently from a more divisive studio who Konami farmed out the work to.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

I can’t be bothered to get mad about any of this because, again, Silent Hill is pretty much a dead franchise anyway. If the Bloober SH2 remake is bad it’ll be like Weezer releasing another bad album. And unlike the music of Weezer, there’s still a small chance it won’t be that bad.

I'm torn. I've been vocal about the remake because the Silent Hill fanbase as a whole is just...exhausting. You have people who only ever played 2 and everything else is poo poo, you have the people who the decades of saturation of 'the villain was YOU' has made poisonous anything psychological or introspective. No one knows what they want the next game to be or the franchise itself as a whole, and as a result everything shown is met with a lot of pessimism.

I get it, it's just all such a mess.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 15, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Silent Hill remake should really just not be a thing at all at this point. If it's good, cool. It probably won't be though.

I guess my only inclination to defend it is based on the Dead Space Remake devs being largely unproven, they did all of that stuff, and came out proving themselves to just about everyone. So imo I'll just give Bloober the benefit of the doubt until it's confirmed to be bad. Maybe I just pity them because Silent Hill has possibly the most insane fanbase in all of video games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The problem is 'we want to sneak our own vision in there' coming from people whose past body of work shows their vision isn't very good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah Silent Hill remake should really just not be a thing at all at this point. If it's good, cool. It probably won't be though.

I guess my only inclination to defend it is based on the Dead Space Remake devs being largely unproven, they did all of that stuff, and came out proving themselves to just about everyone. So imo I'll just give Bloober the benefit of the doubt until it's confirmed to be bad. Maybe I just pity them because Silent Hill has possibly the most insane fanbase in all of video games.

I just think they should have remade the first one. It has a lot of potential for growth that the second one doesn't. Plus it's graphics absolutely do not hold up.

I'm also spoiled because the fan project Enhanced Edition for SH2 really has done a fantastic job of a remaster for the game

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Night10194 posted:

The problem is 'we want to sneak our own vision in there' coming from people whose past body of work shows their vision isn't very good.

and has been a desperate attempt to recapture what Silent Hill 2 was.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sometimes you have to kill a rape victim to ensure their evil projection can’t hurt anyone else, or kill yourself. It’s deep. You guys wouldn’t GET it.
:goonsay-except-even-a-goon-would-never-defend-the-medium:

vv Tales of WHAT

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 15, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are you talking about Tales of Zestiria?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My big Resident Evil safari has reached RE0 after going through REmake, RE2make, RE3make, and the PS3 release of Code Veronica (thank god the PS3 store still technically works)

The bat boss sucked mondo rear end and I wish they'd give me an item box, but the 4:3 prerendered background static camera thing still totally owns. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to from the Steam reviews

E: Also gently caress the leech mimics

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Instant Grat posted:

My big Resident Evil safari has reached RE0 after going through REmake, RE2make, RE3make, and the PS3 release of Code Veronica (thank god the PS3 store still technically works)

The bat boss sucked mondo rear end and I wish they'd give me an item box, but the 4:3 prerendered background static camera thing still totally owns. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to from the Steam reviews

E: Also gently caress the leech mimics

0 LOOKS gorgeous, it's just painful to play.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It could use some of that Code Veronica voice acting to liven things up. Steve was the uncontested star of that game

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There needs to be a game that starts as a short and sweet Silent Hill-alike, with the twist being as soon as you finish, the game begins again but feels and looks a little more Hollywooded, then repeating into more cycles of absurdity that has nothing to do with the original. With the horror-comedy of the ending being escaping through gigantic hordes of 4th wall invaders screaming for ‘remakes’ or to destroy said remakes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Black August posted:

There needs to be a game that starts as a short and sweet Silent Hill-alike, with the twist being as soon as you finish, the game begins again but feels and looks a little more Hollywooded, then repeating into more cycles of absurdity that has nothing to do with the original. With the horror-comedy of the ending being escaping through gigantic hordes of 4th wall invaders screaming for ‘remakes’ or to destroy said remakes.

There are plenty of other issues, but in some respects the Lakeview Cabin IP does this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

The big difference here is that the devs on DSR were constantly touting "It's Dead Space 1:1, but with some QOL stuff and extra things but everything from the original is there. Also no microtransactions." And they delivered on that, Bloober is going "Ehhh, we're remaking the game how we see fit." And considering their track record, that's a terrible sign.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My biggest problem with dbd is that it focused on 'Chase until you die or Killer gets bored'. There should be more options to hide. Ways to throw run tracks ahead of you, let the killer charge past while you sneak away.

Run around a corner and pretend you're a set of armour, and then when you check to see if the killer has passed, oh no, they too are in a suit of armour next to you!

You should also be able to eat a big sandwich to run faster.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

The big difference here is that the devs on DSR were constantly touting "It's Dead Space 1:1, but with some QOL stuff and extra things but everything from the original is there. Also no microtransactions." And they delivered on that, Bloober is going "Ehhh, we're remaking the game how we see fit." And considering their track record, that's a terrible sign.

I agree there isn't much to be optimistic about with SH2. Just saying that those statements are mostly pretty standard for remakes. The big issue is that a lot of people don't like the developer to begin with, not that they plan on putting their own spin on parts of the game.

Bloobers recent output has been straight up rear end so I'm not holding my breath for it to be good, but I do think they have had ok moments, so I might not trust them to pull it off but I guess I'm low key rooting for them to make something that doesn't suck.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Murder House was dope. Gonna take a break before really starting Stay Out of the House.

I bought Lakeview Valley on the summer sale and I am looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Also LOL at doing the "you did a bad thing" with Blair Witch of all things. Bloober stinks.