Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So Flooded Tokyo made me reload and check a guide on what I missed. I'm Level 58. You need to be Level 65 to unlock the special Chaos armor. I don't think that is happening. This game is not good enough to warant such grinding. I'm beginning to think Press Turn is the best thing that happened to SMT, even more than the focus on story and characters.

I don't like when people talk about gameplay being "outdated." I still regularly replay Final Fantasy VII and IX and they're fun. Games like this and Persona 2 just weren't good to begin with in terms of battle systems. But maybe SMT2 improves on this like Eternal Punishment improved on Innocent Sin. I actually did have fun with EP's combat, at least at times. Great final boss.

EDIT:

Also even though she's Neutral, Heroine will stay in your party no matter what. I have even more respect for Isabeau now and how she will fight you to the death on the Law/Chaos routes.

In SMT1 and 2 IIRC, everything can pretty much just be autobattled through and every boss you can just spam Tarukaja and attack, outside of the rare enemy that is immune to physical attacks. And the encounter rate is so high that you tire of wanting to engage with the combat and want to always use Estoma where possible. I think they're still pretty cool games due to the overall atmosphere and the narrative twists they pull which are IMO made cooler with the game's low-tech presentation. Like when the Chaos hero fuses with a demon a modern game would just make it be a big cutscene but this game just pops up the same demon fusion screen that you use except you can't control it on your own, for instance.
Agreed that Press Turn is the best thing that happened to the series, the older games feel kind of simplistic combat-wise and I don't even really like the combat in some of the newer non-Press turn ones like Strange Journey.
The early Megaten games were really big on having a heroine that is always accompanying the main character, starting with Yumiko from the novel series and MT1. Even though they subvert it a little bit with "fake" heroines like Yuriko in SMT1. They didn't really abandon the idea until Nocturne where they got rid of human party members and even that game has a non-party member heroine. It does undercut the idea of "your party members betray you" a little bit. I guess outside of being a story archetype, it does also ensure that your party will always have basic healing spells etc in the earlier games where demons were pretty fixed and you had less ability to freely customize your demons with the compendium, skill inheritance etc.
For some reason to me Isabeau always felt more like a normal party member/alignment rep than a traditional SMT heroine to me, maybe since Jonathan and Walter leave the party much later in the game than the SMT1 law/chaos hero do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Burroughs is the true heroine of IV

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gaius Marius posted:

Burroughs is the true heroine of IV

I’ll add that as a new quest on the list!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

In SMT1 and 2 IIRC, everything can pretty much just be autobattled through and every boss you can just spam Tarukaja and attack, outside of the rare enemy that is immune to physical attacks. And the encounter rate is so high that you tire of wanting to engage with the combat and want to always use Estoma where possible. I think they're still pretty cool games due to the overall atmosphere and the narrative twists they pull which are IMO made cooler with the game's low-tech presentation. Like when the Chaos hero fuses with a demon a modern game would just make it be a big cutscene but this game just pops up the same demon fusion screen that you use except you can't control it on your own, for instance.
Agreed that Press Turn is the best thing that happened to the series, the older games feel kind of simplistic combat-wise and I don't even really like the combat in some of the newer non-Press turn ones like Strange Journey.
The early Megaten games were really big on having a heroine that is always accompanying the main character, starting with Yumiko from the novel series and MT1. Even though they subvert it a little bit with "fake" heroines like Yuriko in SMT1. They didn't really abandon the idea until Nocturne where they got rid of human party members and even that game has a non-party member heroine. It does undercut the idea of "your party members betray you" a little bit. I guess outside of being a story archetype, it does also ensure that your party will always have basic healing spells etc in the earlier games where demons were pretty fixed and you had less ability to freely customize your demons with the compendium, skill inheritance etc.
For some reason to me Isabeau always felt more like a normal party member/alignment rep than a traditional SMT heroine to me, maybe since Jonathan and Walter leave the party much later in the game than the SMT1 law/chaos hero do.

Like Junpei I'd also like actual party members to come back but I think IV and IVA are clearly more character-focused than these older games. Betrayal only hurts if you have some sort of attachment to a character and, as you said, CH and LH leave so early, and there's so little interactions with them, it's not really possible to form an emotional bond. Although, interestingly, I guess IV and IVA subverted the trend. YOU betray THEM in those games on the non-standard routes. And boy does it hurt. Literally too as in JVA the game has made you come to rely on the power your friends give you and as soon as you betray them you are thrust into possibly the hardest fight in the game all on your own. Good storytelling, this.

And Takao being the "new Heroine" does kinda fit, being Neutral and all, and also written to be sympathetic in a way none of the other Reason reps are. Her character "arc" is also being forced to confront her own lack of agency or conviction, the cause of Freedom having to be picked up by the MC. Kind of a trend I'm seeing here with that, too.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Also even though she's Neutral, Heroine will stay in your party no matter what. I have even more respect for Isabeau now and how she will fight you to the death on the Law/Chaos routes.

Also confirms Atsuro is Devil Survivor's true heroine :cheeky:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And it's over! A tragic end for Chaos Hero. I guess that would have happened to me if he hadn't taken the Ring though so it worked out.

I just gotta say thank YHVH I accidentally had an Orthrus. Without its Estoma, I would not have bothered to finish this game. I swear the encounter rate was suped up 10x in Flooded Tokyo and the idea of going through the huge rear end Cathedral while being attacked every single step is unfathomable. I would have quit.

Also I joke about Chaos Hero but I did feel kinda bad. I think there's the trappings of an interesting story here. Like, all the stuff with Lilith/Yuriko? Focus more What does it mean we were supposed to be Adam and Eve? Also why does he keep acting like I love Heroine? She's just my healer and the lady who gets me out of dungeons. Oh well. This game remade with modern Press Turn and attention to story and characters could be amazing.

I think I see what the earlier poster meant though about not getting my hopes up about Gotou. I didn't think he was dead, honestly. I figured he had to show up again in the future. He has come up more than just about anyone in any discussions I've ever seen of SMT1. but no, he really did die in the first few hours of the game and that was that.

Final Thoughts: Strange Journey is a much better game than the games it was paying homage to, kinda like FFIX compared to the old school FFs.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 4, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotou does show up in II

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the heroines a cool lady

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Gotou does show up in II

Interesting to know, thanks. Still, think I need a break. I can't jump into SMT2 right now after SMT1 left me so...worn out by the end.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

NikkolasKing posted:

Interesting to know, thanks. Still, think I need a break. I can't jump into SMT2 right now after SMT1 left me so...worn out by the end.

It's good to take a break, SMT2 is the superior game, but there feels like more dungeons so you can go even more cross eyed.

I really wish we'd get a SMT 1 remake I just love the story of it and the later ones don't hit the spot like that did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 does generally have easier, shorter dungeons with less gimmicks. There's really nothing as insane as the Cathedral again until Final.

2 feels a lot more focused on exploring the over world. That said. Write down the passwords and mark anything that feels suspect or you will regret having to backtrack blind.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did we ever learn why Digital Devil Saga 1 licensed a song by an obscure New York trip-hop group for it's opening?

Was that in the Japanese version or did it replace a song in Japanese? It's weird because DDS2 keeps it's Japanese OP intact.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
IIRC Atlus also did a thing with Tsunami Bomb for Disgaea around the same time, they were trying some new things with localization.
Honestly the song works really well in this case.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I think the JP version just plays Sera's Pray there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DiiMnBCTo

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I didn't mean that as a criticism, I do think Danger works really well, I was just confused was all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I like Danger better, honestly

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It's a song which is based on it,, not the version used in the main game. The song in the English version is decent but the JP opening song uses the game's main musical theme and the English one loses this by using a different song.

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Thoughts: Strange Journey is a much better game than the games it was paying homage to, kinda like FFIX compared to the old school FFs.

Eh, I'm sure it's a more tightly designed game with more modern sensibilities, but it's still a personal preference what game is more appealing. I've tried to like Strange Journey and bounced off it early on many times. Even though the theming of the setting is very minimal, in SMT1-2 I think there is a big appeal to wandering Tokyo overrun by demons and I liked it more than going through a linear series of "allegory worlds" that are just mazes literally called Sector A, B, C, etc. (Heck I even prefer SMT1 to 2 because of the difference in setting). And I don't really like Strange Journey's long scenes of military guys dryly delivering exposition and same-y orchestral music everywhere and such. The overall atmosphere feels kind of boring and turns me off from the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

It's a song which is based on it,, not the version used in the main game. The song in the English version is decent but the JP opening song uses the game's main musical theme and the English one loses this by using a different song.

Eh, I'm sure it's a more tightly designed game with more modern sensibilities, but it's still a personal preference what game is more appealing. I've tried to like Strange Journey and bounced off it early on many times. Even though the theming of the setting is very minimal, in SMT1-2 I think there is a big appeal to wandering Tokyo overrun by demons and I liked it more than going through a linear series of "allegory worlds" that are just mazes literally called Sector A, B, C, etc. (Heck I even prefer SMT1 to 2 because of the difference in setting). And I don't really like Strange Journey's long scenes of military guys dryly delivering exposition and same-y orchestral music everywhere and such. The overall atmosphere feels kind of boring and turns me off from the game.

I do know where you're coming from as that was exactly my criticism of SJ when I first played it. I distinctly remember talking about "wow, this game doesn't have much character or story compared to what I'm used to." Then I played other SMT games like Nocturne and V and now 1. Compared to all those games, SJ might as well be Xenogears.

Take the sectors for example. I also thought of them as generic and forgettable - they're literally just A, B, C... But here in SMT1, you kinda just bumble about and go to place after place with little or no reason why. You will find a new location and enter it and nothing really happens until you stumble upon what you're supposed to find. Even in Nocturne you'd get a little cutscene or explanation from Hijiri or a scene with a Manikin or... You get me, you got some structure to your adventures. Sj meanwhile is SUPER structured in comparison to all of these games, even IV as I realized upon my recent replay. Every new world has purpose and introduction and you find demons or your space marine allies in it and after a while you start regularly interacting with Mastema, Zelenin, Jimeenz, or the bosses in the area.

Like you said it probably is just personal preference but I really like having that structure as I call it. Maybe its' from growing up with games like Xenogears or Final Fantasy where if you arrive in a new location, it's usually contextualized and whatever else you wanna call it.

Diabetic posted:

It's good to take a break, SMT2 is the superior game, but there feels like more dungeons so you can go even more cross eyed.

I really wish we'd get a SMT 1 remake I just love the story of it and the later ones don't hit the spot like that did.

Gaius Marius posted:

2 does generally have easier, shorter dungeons with less gimmicks. There's really nothing as insane as the Cathedral again until Final.

2 feels a lot more focused on exploring the over world. That said. Write down the passwords and mark anything that feels suspect or you will regret having to backtrack blind.

Also, on the topic of dungeons, the map in SMT1 not showing you dungeon hazards really sucks. Even Persona 2 knew to show you markers for trapdoors, poison traps, etc. I guess I'm not pro gamer enough but I can't remember where all this stuff is entirely on my own. Maybe one or two at a time but a permanent mark for if I hav to come back later is nice.

Although, to be honest, SJ has a lot more in the way of dungeon gimmicks than this game. I just don't mind it because I felt it was better implemented, especially in SJR. I do remember in the original it does not tell you where teleporters go after you use them, you gotta remember that poo poo on your own, but I'm pretty sure they'd at least be marked on the map. At least I think so, it has been a while and I doubt I'll ever replay the original SJ now we have Redux.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 4, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I like Danger better, honestly

It was a great song off a great album from a band who shoulda done more.

NikkolasKing posted:

n gimmicks than this game. I just don't mind it because I felt it was better implemented, especially in SJR. I do remember in the original it does not tell you where teleporters go after you use them, you gotta remember that poo poo on your own, but I'm pretty sure they'd at least be marked on the map. At least I think so, it has been a while and I doubt I'll ever replay the original SJ now we have Redux.

One thing that differentiates SJ from I and the rest of the series generally is the early establishment of a Home base. When you have an area that you're constantly returning to for quest turn in, replenishment, chatter from the locals, item buying, etc. It becomes easier to accept the hostility of the outside world in relation to your safe haven; you end up planning your routing through "loops" or "runs" where your intention is to uncover X square or gather Y materials or do Z quest. Always in the back of your mind is the safety guaranteed to you buy the Home base.

It lends a feel of expedition rather than migration onto your journey; the multi day hike rather than the exodus of the Israelites out of Egypt for example. Even if there is little game play difference mechanically, the psychological priming sufficiently changes the context dramatically.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just had the thought that I'd never heard a cover from Strange Journey's OST before and found this guy doing some good work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWCRvHH1Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMkVlPBZBs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like videogame music a lot but I also generally like music a lot and I have fun comparing a videogame soundtrack to a genre - smt4 is clearly synth wave/dark wave stuff and there are bands you’d love if you want something similar

I never figured out what the cool ominous reverse chanting of strange journey is similar to

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like videogame music a lot but I also generally like music a lot and I have fun comparing a videogame soundtrack to a genre - smt4 is clearly synth wave/dark wave stuff and there are bands you’d love if you want something similar

I never figured out what the cool ominous reverse chanting of strange journey is similar to

tell me the bands 👀

SMT4, and 4A amd 5 if u got any ideas!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wizard2 posted:

tell me the bands 👀

SMT4, and 4A amd 5 if u got any ideas!

Not a perfect start but try this playlist

https://open.spotify.com/track/20ztml2STRF7Sq1UaBB6ox?si=vGsGLD83T0u8OMWGgv1hNg

Perturbator, Carpenter Brut are very clear in 4’s ost influence to me. Give it a listen see if you hear it too, 4 has a couple of different styles it goes between but a lot of it feels around this

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.tumblr.com/thegreatcrowdragon/718442370189967360?source=share

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Consider that there is a persona thread

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Neeksy posted:

IIRC Atlus also did a thing with Tsunami Bomb for Disgaea around the same time, they were trying some new things with localization.
Honestly the song works really well in this case.

I had no idea this happened (because Disgaea is for nerdz), but Tsunami Bomb fucks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcBfdFn0sU8

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://personacentral.com/fangamer-announces-shin-megami-tensei-30th-anniversary-vinyl-sets/

1, 2, if, 4, and 5 are getting vinyl sets from FanGamer. I already have their 3 set and it's gorgeous.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How's it sound. I can't say that fan pressed albums inspire me with much confidence, but I'd love to have them if they're quality.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

How's it sound. I can't say that fan pressed albums inspire me with much confidence, but I'd love to have them if they're quality.

They're official collabs between Atlus and FanGamer. I only listened to disc 1 side of my set for Nocturne few months back but it sounded good. The boxset presentation and vinyl colors are fantastic, with each LP representing a Rider.

Discogs reviews of the set are positive as well. Also it was only 80 bucks for a 4xLP.

Need more info on release dates for the other sets but I def wanna grab 4 and 5's.

edit: came home and put on disc 1 side A and it sounds great. Doesn't sound compressed at all.

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 4, 2023

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Hello demon summoning colleagues, I just got SMTV and have a couple mechanical questions. I have played all the other games so it's just new stuff I'm confused about.

Essences: when exactly do I get them? Do you just find them in chests, or do you get them on recruitment, or at a level up, or is it just all of these things for different demons? Can I "level up" existing essences, e.g. I started the game with an Onmoraki essence but it only teaches Agi, and now I have an Onmoraki with Pulinpa and Mudo from level ups. Or if I use the existing essence, can I get another one? The only thing the help screen really clarified is that you can only have one at a time for each demon.

Miracles: what exactly are the skill boosting ones doing? Does that just add a +1 to each skill of a skill type, e.g. Agi +1? I am currently prioritizing demon and skill slots, is that generally the best way to start? Or is there something in there I really need early on?

Stat spread for MC: as this is a mainline SMT game, I should go Strength, right?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Do you know what fangamer is bro....

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

OzFactor posted:

Hello demon summoning colleagues, I just got SMTV and have a couple mechanical questions. I have played all the other games so it's just new stuff I'm confused about.

Essences: when exactly do I get them? Do you just find them in chests, or do you get them on recruitment, or at a level up, or is it just all of these things for different demons? Can I "level up" existing essences, e.g. I started the game with an Onmoraki essence but it only teaches Agi, and now I have an Onmoraki with Pulinpa and Mudo from level ups. Or if I use the existing essence, can I get another one? The only thing the help screen really clarified is that you can only have one at a time for each demon.

Miracles: what exactly are the skill boosting ones doing? Does that just add a +1 to each skill of a skill type, e.g. Agi +1? I am currently prioritizing demon and skill slots, is that generally the best way to start? Or is there something in there I really need early on?

Stat spread for MC: as this is a mainline SMT game, I should go Strength, right?

It's been a while so I'm mostly going off memory here:

IIRC Essences are obtained after a demon finishes their level-up learn list. Essences are set and based off the individual demon, so a stat-maxed Onmoraki built like an endgame demon would still just give you Agi with their Essence.

Those stat boosting ones increase those stats when the demons level up, but they have a cap. Unlike most SMT games it's fairly easy to keep old demons current with your protagonist, so they're not useless, but prioritizing them is still a bad idea. Increasing demon stock and max skills is better. The big Miracle is that eventually you'll get Knowledge of Tools available, which lets demons use items. However good you think that is now, it's better than that.

Magic is workable but strength is better. One thing to remember for Strength MC in particular: you can change your party order to change who moves first every round. A strength MC is usually going to be worse at getting extra turns than your demons because they can hit fewer weaknesses, so having them second or third is usually a good idea.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there a limited amount of glory available or at some point will I be able to grind it? And if it’s grindable, is it a reasonable grind?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Is there a limited amount of glory available or at some point will I be able to grind it? And if it’s grindable, is it a reasonable grind?

There is an absurd amount of glory. You could grind it in theory but you will never need to unless you must have everything as soon as it appears.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

OzFactor posted:

In addition to the level up essences, there are some essences in chests and a couple of quest rewards. There's unique ones in chests that get you the MC's unique skills. Yes you can get more copies of the normal demon essences after using them.

There's a way to get more out of essences it's a miracle series. You probably won't miss it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Apologies if this has been discussed or answered elsewhere: but I have a home brewed Nu 2DS XL and it’s essentially a Zelda and Altus RPG machine at this point. Are there any options for playing SMT I and II with English translations on this device? TIA

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I haven't looked into 2, but the translation patch is out there for 1-GBA. You should be able to inject them as .cias and go from there since the 2DS can handle gba stuff natively. No savestates or speedup, though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think almost all of the SNES megaten games have an English translation patch available now. Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, SMT 1 and 2, if..., the two SNES Majin Tensei games, and probably some poo poo I'm forgetting like some Last Bible games or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I bought the official iOS release of smt 1 but now it’s unavailable lol.