Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If the Angels offered a 10/600 deal they could sign Ohtani but Moreno won't low past the luxury tax so they're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If the Angels offered a 10/600 deal they could sign Ohtani but Moreno won't low past the luxury tax so they're hosed.

This goes against what every talking sport head has said the last 4 years. The Angels have to show they are winners to keep Ohtani. It's not the money, the Angels probably are the best example of throwing money away on players doing nothing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol

lol

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Any Ohtani deal should include Rendon as well.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

DeepDickPizza posted:

It has to be the FO, obviously, but I’m just sooooooooooo loving over it. I hated the amount of hype people had for obvious filler like Frank Schwindel and Patrick Wisdom in lieu of actual stars, but now it’s not even that. It’s just straight garbage and I don’t know how they expect anyone to root for any of these loving losers.

Fangraphs recently posted their review of the Cubs system and it’s like the weirdest top 10 system. There’s no apparent stars in the system,especially after Brennan Davis screwed up his back, and gets by with the sheer bulk of solid pitching prospects. The one 55 rated prospect in the system, PCA is really a 55 because he is incredible defensively, but might have a massive hole in his swing at the top of the zone so gets a Jackie Bradley comparison. Shaw looks cool as a hitter, but every 1st round pick sounds great until they start playing.

But hey can never have too much pitching so it wouldn’t be an issue if the Cubs used their money to sign premiere hitting. I don’t see them actually doing that though and it will be second tier FA guys instead of stars.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Interesting thing I heard on the A's broadcast tonight. The A's have fielded 91 different lineups in 92 games played this year, that seems almost impossible.

There are 1,133,836,704,000 different lineups of 9 players in a 26-man roster :eng101:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There are 1,133,836,704,000 different lineups of 9 players in a 26-man roster :eng101:

Yeee permutations!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

not if half those players are pitchers, then it’s only about 260 million

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

not if half those players are pitchers, then it’s only about 260 million

What if half of them are Shohei Ohtani

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Q not E

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think the A's can do it this season

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Just a rules question. I was only able to watch highlights of the Astros game this morning but Ohtani was pitching and then taken out in like the 6th. Then I see him batting in the 8th. How is that possible? After they took him out did they switch him out with another fielder?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

kolby posted:

Just a rules question. I was only able to watch highlights of the Astros game this morning but Ohtani was pitching and then taken out in like the 6th. Then I see him batting in the 8th. How is that possible? After they took him out did they switch him out with another fielder?

They made the Ohtani Rule that lets the pitcher stay in the lineup if they’re DHing in the game.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Ah interesting, thanks

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Hand Row posted:

Fangraphs recently posted their review of the Cubs system and it’s like the weirdest top 10 system. There’s no apparent stars in the system,especially after Brennan Davis screwed up his back, and gets by with the sheer bulk of solid pitching prospects. The one 55 rated prospect in the system, PCA is really a 55 because he is incredible defensively, but might have a massive hole in his swing at the top of the zone so gets a Jackie Bradley comparison. Shaw looks cool as a hitter, but every 1st round pick sounds great until they start playing.

But hey can never have too much pitching so it wouldn’t be an issue if the Cubs used their money to sign premiere hitting. I don’t see them actually doing that though and it will be second tier FA guys instead of stars.

I’ll have to check out that Fangraphs article. PCA is the only guy that gives me any sort of hope, but yeah, he’s not going to be a stud, just an above average player, hopefully.

Having a million pitchers and hoping some stick is always a decent idea. But they are just not serious about building a real offense. The core is just okay and the depth behind them is absolutely abysmal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jake Marisnick is an LA Dodger.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Interesting opener to the article about Zack Gelof on the Athletic

quote:

OAKLAND — Freshly out of law school and newly married, Adam and Kelly Gelof didn’t have plans for a honeymoon, but their wedding party surprised them with a trip to San Francisco and the Napa Valley.

On that trip, the baseball-loving couple made a stop at the Oakland Coliseum, where Adam surprised his new bride with a message on the scoreboard, thanking her for marrying him. Twenty-five years later, the Gelofs found themselves back at the Coliseum when plans to see their son, Zack, play in Stockton were waylaid by a COVID outbreak. Adam, naturally, bought another scoreboard message. This time, Zack took a picture of the happy couple with the sign in the background.

Sitting with his son that day, only a few months into Zack’s professional career, Adam could see just how badly Zack wanted to be on that field himself. Less than two years later, that dream was realized, and the entire Gelof family was back at the Coliseum to witness it. This time, the A’s handled the scoreboard messages.

This is a pretty cool story that would be so much cooler if not for the fuckery

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1680014584617349120

Kind of feel like you can't boo a pitcher for 3 ER in 5IP. Especially when you put up zero runs.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Kind of feel like you can't boo a pitcher for 3 ER in 5IP. Especially when you put up zero runs.

Mets fans and Yankee fans are 99% genetically similar

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

6 walks/6 Ks a weird line

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

New Amsterdam -> New York -> Boo York

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

If Verlander didn't want to get booed in half of his starts, he should have stayed on the Houston Astros

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right but like, why aren't Mets fans spirits utterly broken at this point in history.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zoux posted:

Right but like, why aren't Mets fans spirits utterly broken at this point in history.

Oh they are don't worry.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Right but like, why aren't _________ fans spirits utterly broken at this point in history.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

rickiep00h posted:

Right but like, why aren't _________ fans spirits utterly broken at this point in history.

Goms :smith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Intruder posted:

Interesting opener to the article about Zack Gelof on the Athletic

This is a pretty cool story that would be so much cooler if not for the fuckery

Fighting the urge to restructure that lede.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

goms

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hal is batting a guy hitting .147 cleanup and wondering why fans are so upset!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Right but like, why aren't ___ fans spirits utterly broken at this point in history.

They are. Alas....

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/milbpromos/status/1680273706164027394?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I always wanted a NOOGA jersey from when they were the Twins affiliate. Just an absolutely silly thing.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Hal is batting a guy hitting .147 cleanup and wondering why fans are so upset!

If only you had Aaron Hicks and his .836 Orioles OPS

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
the Reds should put any prospect that isn't already up on the table and let Ohtani eat in GABP

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
oh and Luis Arraez, who I understand will finish the year hitting better than .400, went 4-5 tonight

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I was in a jury pool this week with an elder baseball boomer. When asked if he watched Ohtani, he chuckled and said he didn't watch the junior circuit. Huge cubs and Dodgers fan, I haven't seen that tandem before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

zoux posted:

Spirits might have been broken tonight for this season. That baty error :negative: