Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm just gonna level doing renown since we have to do it again anyway and there is no bigger power boost than the 20 paragon, when it slows down I'll be golden for smashing out 3 levels over without a sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This fucker is so cringe

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Koirhor posted:

This fucker is so cringe

Why even post it then? So people can have the same argument on repeat? gently caress that.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Have they announced the "zoom out" feature yet?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I'm a bit late to the party so please excuse the noob question but do you Friend list the clan officers then whisper them? I figured its some anti-spam measure that I can't just /w. Battlenet name thingy is Platemale

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I finally completed all the shrines. I'm sure it's been talk about in here but who the gently caress thought that was a good idea to have 160 shrines. Who wants to do that at all. Maybe like 25 shrines would be cool to encourage world building but 160 was dumb .

Who ever thought of that and implemented I should get a poor score on their yearly work review bc it was a bad idea and they suck

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

EmbryoSteve posted:

I finally completed all the shrines. I'm sure it's been talk about in here but who the gently caress thought that was a good idea to have 160 shrines. Who wants to do that at all. Maybe like 25 shrines would be cool to encourage world building but 160 was dumb .

Who ever thought of that and implemented I should get a poor score on their yearly work review bc it was a bad idea and they suck
Some people enjoy exploring the world, and not everyone is a completionist. It's aggravating for a subaet of folks who play this game, and fun for others.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My whirlwind bleed build was feeling weak at 55 so I respecced to robs latest ww build but its clearly for a higher level than im at. Biggest issue is fury gen. Anybody recommend one that can clear the capstone at around 60? I don't want to redo all my aspects and still not have a strong build.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Busy Bee posted:

I know that you can respec your skill points and paragon board but how about the XP you receive from completing nightmare dungeons that you add to the skills in your paragon board sockets? Is it possible?
No. Glyph XP is allocated permanently and irrevocably.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Ersatz posted:

Some people enjoy exploring the world, and not everyone is a completionist. It's aggravating for a subaet of folks who play this game, and fun for others.

What was aggravating for.me was the sheer amount of them and how they were tied into renown. Like if you want the renown bonuses they are required. And there are like 30 per zone. I'm down to explore the zone but I gwt the same experience with 10 per zone vs 30.

I know "to each their own" but after the first 60 altars it didn't feel cool or new or interesting for me.

Would have been cool to have fewer overall altars but have each one be a mini boss battle to make them more interesting

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EmbryoSteve posted:

Like if you want the renown bonuses they are required.
????

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

flashman posted:

I'm just gonna level doing renown since we have to do it again anyway and there is no bigger power boost than the 20 paragon, when it slows down I'll be golden for smashing out 3 levels over without a sweat

I think they did the renown reset ok. Stuff you'd probably do anyway for xp gets reset but not the "yeah I'm good only doing this once" stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's already incentive to explore the whole map (+renown for finding an area). The Shrines are just too darn hidden, and there's too fuckin' many, IMHO. It's a huge waste of time to look for them blind, and just silly busy work to find them all on Good Screen while you have the shrine map up on Bad Screen

Oh well, only gotta do it once (or twice)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ARPG gamers tend to confuse “required for progression” and “required for optimization”.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I maxed renown in one region with 6 altars by just… playing the game. I know because I just checked last night to see how many altars I was missing before the season starts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

I think they did the renown reset ok. Stuff you'd probably do anyway for xp gets reset but not the "yeah I'm good only doing this once" stuff.

They missed one important thing you should only have to do once: the sidequests.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I really hate it when a game includes too much to do and explore.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I bet some people maxed renown in Eternal without finding all the shrines. But, I gotta imagine anyone who cares about Shrines is thinking about the Seasonal Ramifications

Dat sweet sweet +5 skill points and +68 main stat upon login each season to make the first 15 levels fly by :discourse:, every 3 months for the next 10 years

It's worth it to get 'em, and it sucks to get 'em, so you'll see a lot of chat about how it sucks to get 'em, even though you could simply not get 'em

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
They also seemed important for my first character to use paragon boards. I wasnt hitting stat requirements until doing a bunch of altars

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Eventually there’s no way around that going for more shrines is going to be more time effective than going for new levels for paragon points. Whether you call getting the shrines at that point mandatory is subjective. Or if you’ve hit 100, then sure they are required for more points.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Dungeons and strongholds are ok, quests are atrocious lol

withoutclass posted:

Lol love to ride my horse around in my monster killing game just enjoying the 30sq ft vistas granted by the zoom

flashman fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 15, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SettingSun posted:

They missed one important thing you should only have to do once: the sidequests.

They give gobbles of XP and mats. Some are lol this is dumb. Some are great.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Level 85 now without ever seeing a single Rainment of the Infinite

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Estel posted:

I like this build and it's great once you get used to point your tramples so mobs eat all the landslides, if you get some cooldown reduction on your gear most of the time you have trample off cooldown before the effects of the first trample have ended and it's constant charging through enemies activating landslides, lightning storms, hurricanes, etc. Also if you add Petrify sometimes Cataclysm will activate too when you use it and when everything is going you can't see anything at all. It's great :dance:

yeah it's really fun. idk how trampleslide works mechanically but the tooltip says it spawns 6 landslides which is kinda misleading, in a good way? it fills the whole screen with landslides lol, just deletes groups of mobs. the trample itself does good damage too, feels good to just charge into elites, shove them into a wall then the ground opens up and eats everything. I think I killed the boss with like 2-3 trampleslides targeted underneath it. very fun and pretty effective.

you're also resetting the cooldown on earthen bulwark too so you're pretty tanky and can just throw that up all the time.

i have a couple nightmare sigils i think ill try this out tonight.

edit: right now I have this set up with storm strike, landslide, trample, earthen bulwark, hurricane, and cataclysm. i might try petrify instead, cataclysm is alright but idk that it's doing much for me rn

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The high IQ band knows it's a net good for side quests to reset, since they help you level up to 50 so much faster

My hardcore characters love getting that free level from cheering on the troops

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there any mechanical reason to go for more side quests once renown is covered other than new character leveling? As far as I can tell there’s no downside to ignoring them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't plan on doing any of the sidequests again unless they lead to a stronghold or dungeon (useful list)

If that prevents me from getting level 5 renown I'm not too bothered

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

found a fun combo on my druid. idk if this is similar to the trampleslide build folks have mentioned?

my druid is set up with nature's fury key passive and double-hit landslide as main nuke. if you use the trampleslide aspect (trample drops 6x landslides and also counts as earth magic) and the aspect that causes nature's fury procs to reduce ability cooldown, you get a trampleslide that does massive damage and you're reducing its cooldown all the time.

Those three plus a bar of nature skills (and poison creeper) shits all over with landslide.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gejimayu posted:

My whirlwind bleed build was feeling weak at 55 so I respecced to robs latest ww build but its clearly for a higher level than im at. Biggest issue is fury gen. Anybody recommend one that can clear the capstone at around 60? I don't want to redo all my aspects and still not have a strong build.

Haven't rolled a barb yet, but currently levelling my 3rd char into WT4, and the best advice I can give anyone is this:

Lvl 50-58 is basically the awkward adolescent stage for a lot of builds, and the less time you spend there the better.

Drop nightmare difficulty and until you can clear reliably and quickly even with shittier aspects, and run WT3 helltides whenever they're up.

Most of the meta endgame builds suck until you can roll more vuln crit and CDR/ resource gen than sacred quality gear has to offer. You also have maybe one Paragon board and are missing key glyphs/nodes that start to come online around 60-70 and give you a big boost.

Or just get a carry through some lvl 20 nightmares for an hour, replace all your gear with ilvl 700,+ sacreds, upgrade anything good into the ancient bracket and then start farming the top of tier 3 until you're ready for T4 helltides.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

RCarr posted:

:same: except tempest roar

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

RCarr posted:

I got my first one at 82 if it makes you feel any better.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I feel like I'm playing this game wrong. My character feels progressively less powerful as I level since aspects and properly rolled gear can be so rare that I out level my equipment and my ability to farm adequate replacement gear slows down. This is a sharp contrast to Diablo 3, where my character felt increasingly powerful and I had the ability to control whether enemies were difficult to kill or not.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What level are you? There’s also a chance you’re just not itemizing correctly. I used mostly the same equipment from 30-60 and never felt too weak on WT2.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

flashman posted:

Lol love to ride my horse around in my monster killing game just enjoying the 30sq ft vistas granted by the zoom

The true MMO experience!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I find there to be a really weird disconnect with gear versus level. Like, ancestral gear is the exact same whether you're level 68 or level 98.

I understand that, logically, level 70 or so is probably equivalent to, eg, a max-level D3 character, and so it makes sense that the gear doesn't get better as you level up... but also, decades of RPGs have ingrained the idea that higher character level = stronger gear dropping. It's not necessarily wrong, but it also feels uncomfy. It just kinda feels like they should have made character level and paragon level different tracks or something.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

American McGay posted:

What level are you? There’s also a chance you’re just not itemizing correctly. I used mostly the same equipment from 30-60 and never felt too weak on WT2.

49, but I have a necromancer at 57 and had the same experience. I know what I'm supposed to be prioritizing, I just can't find the right items consistently and then I also have to juggle needing aspects that also need to be farmed and seemingly never drop.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

withoutclass posted:

Unironically yes, especially when it is as pointless as it is in D4. Tired of all these open world games touting new massive worlds with so much content. Guys just give me 40-60 hours of good content instead of 80+ of mid poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bio347 posted:

I find there to be a really weird disconnect with gear versus level. Like, ancestral gear is the exact same whether you're level 68 or level 98.

I understand that, logically, level 70 or so is probably equivalent to, eg, a max-level D3 character, and so it makes sense that the gear doesn't get better as you level up... but also, decades of RPGs have ingrained the idea that higher character level = stronger gear dropping. It's not necessarily wrong, but it also feels uncomfy. It just kinda feels like they should have made character level and paragon level different tracks or something.

Gear level maxes out early enough in wt4 for the most part. Then it's a matter of optimization and perfect rolls. Same system as D3 just with different dressing and more bins to roll.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Character level (or technically Enemy level, which is generally influenced by Character level) does increase the average Item Power of drops.

Killing level 100 enemies will drop higher IP loot than killing level 90 enemies

The difference is just TINY-tiny compared to the jump from rare to sacred to ancestral. Character power, past level ~70, mostly comes from Leveling/Paragons, Glyph Levels, and much less so from loot. And when you do get loot upgrades, it's usually because you found a drop with more high priority affixes, higher roll on the highest priority affixes, a high level Legendary affix, etc. Item Power is basically stagnant once you start playing on WT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Gejimayu posted:

rob has some variations on his build for early/mid/late game so my first thought would just be to compare against the early/mid one

otherwise the things that i remember being the most helpful was the marshal glyph coming online paired with the bold chieftain aspect on a ring. i also didn’t use the capstone passive that doubles resource cost until i had most of my fury gen online. i used the one to the left, makes berserk better. also early game, call of the ancients, the ultimate that summons all 3 dudes, is really good for burst amounts of fury. you lose one source of unstoppable but i didn’t really mind it at that level. if you can get into WT3 i think is when fury cost reduction and resource generation start showing up on gear. beeline for that stuff, imo, even at the expense of other dps stays until things start playing smoothly

uh otherwise i do remember waiting around a lot for cooldowns and using the builder a lot unfortunately. once the pieces start coming together it ramps up to sustainable real quick but it has hitches before that.

e: oh yeah and even with nearly perfect gear robs hammer WW build is barely sustainable. it’s good but i kinda prefer the lesser damage of a sword/axe bleed WW where i can just spin forever