Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I'll take any physical release of Buster Scruggs at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just popped in my copy of Double Indemnity and disc 1 is a Blu-Ray instead of a 4K disc.

LOL never mind, the disc was behind the booklet. Goes to show you how often I look at the booklets

dorium fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 14, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Barton Fink is one of my favorite films ever, it just rattles around in my brain. I've enjoyed a lot of the Coens' work, most recently thoroughly loving O Brother Where Art Thou. The Big Lebowski has the cult following to make it a priority so I get it, but here's hoping for more in the future.

In a funny physical media story, I found a LOT of anime DVDs at Goodwill today and ended up picking up a Blu-Ray of a bad yaoi series for $1 to amuse my friends. But more interestingly I found a perfectly-working Sharp BD player for $6, just needed a remote and HDMI cable, all of which I have. It's nice to have something that plays discs in my bedroom for now, though I'll eventually replace it with a proper 4K player sooner rather than later. Treasure hunting. :science:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

These are all the Coen Bros. films known to have 4K DCPs:

Blood Simple (Criterion/Janus)
Barton Fink (Fox/Disney - restoration by Universal due to owning worldwide rights)
Fargo (MGM - with Shout! Factory, coming soon)
The Big Lebowski (Universal, already out)
No Country For Old Men (Paramount)
Burn After Reading (Universal)
A Serious Man (Universal)
True Grit (Paramount)
Hail, Caesar! (Universal)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix)

Disney owns Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, The Ladykillers, and Intolerable Cruelty via Fox and themselves, Warner owns The Hudsucker Proxy here (Universal elsewhere), O Brother Where Art Thou? is Disney here and Universal elsewhere, The Man Who Wasn't There is Paramount via Miramax (Universal worldwide),

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just bought A Serious Man on Blu so expect a 4K to be announced shortly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1679515253623619584?s=20

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would sell all of you out for a good 4k of blood simple. Love that movie

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dorium posted:

I just bought A Serious Man on Blu so expect a 4K to be announced shortly.

Sy Ableman's fits in 4K HDR might just melt everyone's TVs

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I uhhhhhh, hit the Criterion sale pretty hard. Don't shop after going to the bar is the lesson, I guess. Or do, I ain't mad at myself.

Ranown Westerns and One False Move still to come as well.

:sickos:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hell yea, I actually have a pretty substantial Vincent Price collection but it's almost all DVDs, so any 4k is an automatic upgrade for me. My dream Price 4k would have to be Masque of the Red Dead.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

esperantinc posted:

I uhhhhhh, hit the Criterion sale pretty hard. Don't shop after going to the bar is the lesson, I guess. Or do, I ain't mad at myself.

I watched my new copy of Le Cercle Rouge the other night. That movie absolutely rocks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1679919226088194072

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

OMG Kino is actually going with the movie poster for the cover of their Hardcore release

that's awesome.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium posted:

OMG Kino is actually going with the movie poster for the cover of their Hardcore release

that's awesome.

That rocks

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

esperantinc posted:

:eyepop: holymoly

I just got Time Bandits. And it arrived crushed, waiting for a replacement.

It would be swell if other labels didn't all choose the same goddamned time to have sales as Criterion. Just once. There are vast expanses of time between march and july and november. Pick one of them.

dorium posted:

that's awesome.

*eck yea

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

that's awesome.

Solid contractual Name in a Box, Peter Boyle!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Hoping that Kino has a booklet like the Indicator release did. I'm not counting on it, but here's to hope.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hardcore-Blu-ray/170576/#Packaging

There are tiddies so, NWS and all that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

dorium posted:

that's awesome.

The only way it could've been better would be if it had a slipcover that was just totally black with that quote on the front.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino actually is doing a slip for Hardcore that's similar art to the Twilight Time and Indicator editions.

for that matter, I think all of their Sony licenses have had slips so far. The Lady from Shanghai has this gorgeous European poster for the slip, while the case sleeve is reversable and has the classic art used by Indicator)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino actually is doing a slip for Hardcore that's similar art to the Twilight Time and Indicator editions.

for that matter, I think all of their Sony licenses have had slips so far. The Lady from Shanghai has this gorgeous European poster for the slip, while the case sleeve is reversable and has the classic art used by Indicator)

I should pick up that Lady From Shanghai, I don’t own it but I love that film

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PinkoBastard posted:

I should pick up that Lady From Shanghai, I don’t own it but I love that film

Great release. One of Sony's 4K restorations (it's the same one as seen on Indicator's UK disc). Mill Creek technically used the same master, but it was a bare-bones disc. Kino added two new commentaries, plus brought over all the extras from Sony's edition released years ago. They wanted to release it on UHD, but Sony wouldn't license the rights (good chance it's going to be in the next Columbia Classics UHD box set).

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Homeybeef posted:

I'll take any physical release of Buster Scruggs at this point.

Would love this too. Along with a 4k of Shaolin Soccer.. or even a blu ray really. I've seen blu ray versions of Shaolin Soccer on sale on ebay but I don't know that any of them are legit.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The last time I watched Shaolin Soccer, the subtitles were not as good as the DVD. Specifically something about the Shaolin Kung Fu Ho Yay song was off.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/jbromovies/status/1680319556529840128?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just now realized that Death Wish 4 and Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects are two different movies. I guess I should have been tipped off by Bronson having a wife and daughter in Kinjite. But he has a girlfriend in Death Wish V, so it’s plausible that he could have remarried four times

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
A24 put up the store page for the collectors edition of EEAAO, out in august.

oct criterion titles announced too, I'm in for videodrome for sure..probably grab The Others, though that doesn't really feel criterion ish, but it was still a decent lil ghost flick.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a Tod Browning collector's set of Freaks, The Unknown and the Mystic
The Others
Nanny
and 4Ks of Videodrome and Don't Look Now

Goddamn this might be another month where I get all the non-4K stuff (I already have Videodrome and DLN). Nanny's the surprise of the month, definitely don't sleep on that one if you like new horror

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Special Edition UHD of True Romance is $24 on Amazon. Go crazy y’all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Chris James 2 posted:

a Tod Browning collector's set of Freaks, The Unknown and the Mystic
The Others
Nanny
and 4Ks of Videodrome and Don't Look Now

Goddamn this might be another month where I get all the non-4K stuff (I already have Videodrome and DLN). Nanny's the surprise of the month, definitely don't sleep on that one if you like new horror

I want everything minus the Videodrome set (since I've got that Arrow edition from a year ago).

Boywhiz88 posted:

Special Edition UHD of True Romance is $24 on Amazon. Go crazy y’all.

Boy, that's still tough to be saddled with all the extra paper. Good price though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

zer0spunk posted:

A24 put up the store page for the collectors edition of EEAAO, out in august.

oct criterion titles announced too, I'm in for videodrome for sure..probably grab The Others, though that doesn't really feel criterion ish, but it was still a decent lil ghost flick.

Good to know collectors edition of EEAAO. I’ll have to buy it again I suppose. Don’t care about the legal papers but booklet and packaging looks cool. And love more commentaries.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

checkplease posted:

Good to know collectors edition of EEAAO. I’ll have to buy it again I suppose. Don’t care about the legal papers but booklet and packaging looks cool. And love more commentaries.

I've got the now out of print shitton of eyeballs cover version that was a walmart exclusive already..so I guess I'll keep that one when I grab this new deluxe

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dorium posted:

I want everything minus the Videodrome set (since I've got that Arrow edition from a year ago).

What Arrow edition?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

What Arrow edition?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Videodrome-4K-Blu-ray/321094/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1681347478266822680

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Get in. I wonder how they are handling the special effects...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Get in. I wonder how they are handling the special effects...

probably not as decently as the fan edit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/comments/leqlbs/babylon_5_fan_remaster_comparison_with_dvdhbo_now/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm dead..I got a loose disc twice in a row on a KL disc, and every other title I have from them shipped just fine..so I aksed if there's an insert or something and I'm just dumb on the bluray forum for the movie..and my dude replied he also had a "rattle" in his copy but it was a dead cockroach that got sealed in there.

OK nightmare fuel, cool QA at that one plant I guess

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Have people received their To Live and Die in LA 4K's? Mine just got its tracking number from BBY. I really hope to get it before I get out of town. Great loving flick.

Also, there's a guy on Physical Media twitter complaining about some dents that his Arrow Bruce Lee 4K box received, and IDK. I'm a little incredulous. There's a part of me that gets it, and there's another part of me that says "that's life!" It's also funny because one of their points is that it cost $150, but the Office Blu-Ray set was $100+ until last week, ya know. Like, you got an insane value at that price point already!

I think it bugs me just because it's soooo consumerist. Like, do the discs work? Did it come with whatever extras you wanted? Then shut up!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

unless those boxes are looking like they got put in a cement mixer before they got to your home a couple dents should be expected tbh. you dont know what those things go through and unless retailers start charging like $20+ for just shipping packaging and the manpower needed to do delicate shipping I dunno what anyone expects. Especially from big box retailers that will never invest in something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Have people received their To Live and Die in LA 4K's? Mine just got its tracking number from BBY. I really hope to get it before I get out of town. Great loving flick.

Mine was supposed to come in today but I haven't even gotten a shipping notification yet, so it's probably delayed. I kinda expected it because there were some similar things happening with their recent Ronin release.