Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

One of the great ad campaigns of the 21st century: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kio3t3nXJo

Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth

Peanuts (July 17, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 17, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 23-25, 1942)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

These topical updates really sell the comic being set in 2023. Foob and family circus, take note.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EasyEW posted:

One of the great ad campaigns of the 21st century: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kio3t3nXJo

I honestly didn't know that buying ice cream when you're adult is so taboo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A lot of things are taboo to people who are insecure. Very sad, many such cases.

Jucika "140 - Jucika And The Fair Inspector"

"141 - Jucika Loves Autumn"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

The Curse of Sally Forth

The only way this storyline could get better is if the Forths gradually start losing their idiosyncracies the longer they're away from the house.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It's not, though ice cream trucks are seen as kid stuff. Even so, my co-worker once heard the ice cream truck go by outside and chased that thing a block. It was getting close to the end of the day at the end of the week and she wanted some drat ice cream. She negotiated with the driver to slow down a bit when driving by our office for the rest of the summer.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Youth. Eww.

Luann

Gil Thorp

All the Thorps fixin' to have affairs

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Alhazred posted:

The reason I love those Halo Top ads is that most ice cream pitches aimed at adults blather on about pampering, indulging, the decadence of top-level ingredients. Don't let it being next to the Popsicles fool you, this is properly up-market dairy dessert. The Halo Top ad campaign doesn't even bother. Just a hand on the shoulder. "Listen, we both know you're desperate for one loving win today. Eat this and it'll plug the gap until the real one comes along."

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

A mohawk? A long beard? A mildly nihilistic poster? An OPEN SHIRT? Better watch out for this crowd, kid, they might listen to punk rock music and say curse words!

FOOB never stops surprising me with how utterly milquetoast it can get.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do we know if they're roadside, y/n

what is the state of their roadsidedness

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Toto’s Big Plan

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

1. Those tracking tags for luggage, your wallet, or whatever aren't advertised as something that keeps your stuff with you.
2. I despise this inner child bit. It's really unnerving to me. It looks more like he's being haunted.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

:same: Ninjino :same:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/1-3/51

Archie 9/28/47

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

1. Those tracking tags for luggage, your wallet, or whatever aren't advertised as something that keeps your stuff with you.
2. I despise this inner child bit. It's really unnerving to me. It looks more like he's being haunted.
It's a great reminder that small kids are gross.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mild Sense of Unease Gary

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

It would be funny if the bull and the boy were never explained, but there's more about them in the future strips.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

"Stop telling this boring story about a woman who tried to kill her husband. I want to know about the flowers."

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 16, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

...Wat?

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jul 15-18, 1959)

Onward to 1960!

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 4-7, 1993)

Big Nate

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wait so the kid isn't really there in Crankshaft?

For ice cream trucks, I presume they have certain set routes and can't go in business lots, because I know they would make loving mint if they went by Discount Tire during the spring and summer here. I mean I see food trucks all over, ice cream trucks make so much more sense in summer time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait so the kid isn't really there in Crankshaft?

No, the kid is like some saccharine manifestation of how The Old Days were so much better, especially the comics! This middle-aged gently caress isn't really interested in the comics he'll find in Comic-Con, he's just coming along so he can feel closer to something from his childhood that brought him comfort.

This isn't even the first time Batiuk pulled this poo poo, either. IIRC, he had this old guy go inside a beach cave in California where a scene from his favorite childhood show was shot in. But he got trapped inside because there was a raging fire outside, so the old gently caress hallucinated his childhood self and him going on adventures in their favorite show that miraculously led him to the other end of the cave and into safety.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

amigolupus posted:

No, the kid is like some saccharine manifestation of how The Old Days were so much better, especially the comics! This middle-aged gently caress isn't really interested in the comics he'll find in Comic-Con, he's just coming along so he can feel closer to something from his childhood that brought him comfort.

This isn't even the first time Batiuk pulled this poo poo, either. IIRC, he had this old guy go inside a beach cave in California where a scene from his favorite childhood show was shot in. But he got trapped inside because there was a raging fire outside, so the old gently caress hallucinated his childhood self and him going on adventures in their favorite show that miraculously led him to the other end of the cave and into safety.

Comic strips were a mistake.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wherein Fiona Decides To Get A Useless Degree

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Hostile V posted:

Drive in movies, by definition, are something you are mobile and go to. For some reason this is the stupid holbrook joke that bothered me the most in ages.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Anyway, I'm on vacation the coming week, so here's a pre-catch-up:

Get Fuzzy 7/15-22/03

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9GDM6U1dM

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

amigolupus posted:

Was that the weird underground empire with goofy looking robots? That whole scene sucked because it could have been cool... but then it just loving ends without anything happening.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Toto’s Big Plan

Ah...! Monya! :neckbeard:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 12, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

What a horrible place to work. Don't bring your kid there!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Alhazred posted:

It's not, but ad campaigns love inventing new problems for their product to solve. (I suppose this sort of "creative" angle is necessary when you manage to gently caress up making decent tasting ice cream. I'm glad I had a coupon to try it for free, because I was disappointed enough with it without wasting the $4-5 they wanted for a pint of it.)

Kid Fenris posted:

A mohawk? A long beard? A mildly nihilistic poster? An OPEN SHIRT? Better watch out for this crowd, kid, they might listen to punk rock music and say curse words!

FOOB never stops surprising me with how utterly milquetoast it can get.
Look, this is college you're supposed to be respectible now, everyone knows college kids normally run around wearing nice slacks and buttonup shirts.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 16, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EasyEW posted:

The reason I love those Halo Top ads is that most ice cream pitches aimed at adults blather on about pampering, indulging, the decadence of top-level ingredients. Don't let it being next to the Popsicles fool you, this is properly up-market dairy dessert. The Halo Top ad campaign doesn't even bother. Just a hand on the shoulder. "Listen, we both know you're desperate for one loving win today. Eat this and it'll plug the gap until the real one comes along."

It's a bold strategy to say that "our product is poo poo, but you're poo poo too".

Hostile V posted:

Well, that's certainly a bunch of horrifying strips.
"I want a degree so I can make what's essentially snuff films."
"A bunch of people devouring what we know is a sentient creature."
"A couple killing what we know is a sentient creature."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Uusimme vihkivalamme = we updated our marriage vows
Uusimme vihkivalamme = we renewed our marriage vows

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Val loves killing, but he really loves plotting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Metal Gear Valiant: Thulian Espionage Action

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "142 - Jucika Was Sent To Attend A Patient"

"143 - Jucika Doesn't Want To Be Late"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Val loves killing, but he really loves plotting.

Plotting killing.