Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's two EBFs. I'm wallsharing them so I can A) make fewer coils, and more importantly 2] share the input and output hatch/buses between them. The little boy is a multismelter.

wtf, hacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's two EBFs. I'm wallsharing them so I can A) make fewer coils, and more importantly 2] share the input and output hatch/buses between them. The little boy is a multismelter.

wait you can share input/output hatches between two now?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Shipon posted:

Across four, even. I have multiple quad EBFs in my base, they're made in 5x5 grids rather than 6x6. They only have one input bus shared between all 4 EBFs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RandomBlue posted:

wtf, hacks

Shipon posted:

we have such wonders to show you

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

:q:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thanks to whoever recommended Create: Astral earlier. It's so well rounded and has so many cute quality of life mods that it may genuinely be the first progression-focused quest pack I've played in years that I've actually taken the time to build a nice base in and pursue goals purely for flavor, rather than just racing up the tech tree as fast as possible. Hell, I even really explored Tinker's Construct fully, something I've not tried in maybe 5 years?
It's got multiple cooking mods, a winemaking mod, and a beer brewing mod, so I made a nice kitchen. It's got Chipped, which is a really impressive decorative block mod, so I want everything to look fancy. It's got some neat farming additions, and a lot of conveniences. I had to add the "stack to nearby chests" mod and a mod for fast leaf decay but otherwise it's very well rounded.

I find Create fascinating and well made but I'm terrible at figuring out how to move and organize things in a 3D space so it's incredibly daunting to get into, and I can't imagine any machines I build will be anywhere near efficient or compact.
I think my biggest issue is propagating "power" through my base. With most mods I just make a central generator bank and pipe that through the facility. In Create I get the distinct impression most machines (or sometimes even parts of machines) should each have their own local power, instead of trying to make one huge windmill bank or something and then spread that through my base. I feel like I need a tutorial here, not on building specific machines by rote, which is what most Youtube videos seem to focus on, but on basic handling and organizing with power setups.
Learn by doing I guess is the best way through?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You can in fact have a big power "bus" in Create. Think the old school pre electricity factories that had mechanical power, with shafts running across the ceiling and belts transferring power down to machines. Exact same idea.

I think the only requirement is that multiple power inputs be at the same RPM.

So for my factory I have multiple windmills on the roof feeding (through a couple big small gear combos to up the RPM) a single belt that drops down vertically and then splits off a branch belt along the ceiling of each floor, which then branches again to feed machines. I add clutches to turn individual machine groups on/off so I stave off the need for more windmills, for now.

These video tutorials helped me out a lot starting out or when I got stuck. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtYeIGFxKzeQ4OKQv3uSnW9mBTnCdcfne though I don't think he had any power system overview videos like you are looking for.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So it looks like GDLauncher just isn't being developed anymore? The last thing they did was announce partnering with curseforge/overwolf and the new GDLauncher Carbon launcher, and then... nothing. No updates to GDLauncher, no Carbon.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is anyone still playing Vault Hunters? I finally started watching a playthrough of it and it definitely seems up my alley. I was just wondering how it's doing now since I remember people here talking about problems they had with progression, then how the mod author was fixing those problems and more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dumb question: I set up a small pink slime farm using delightful dirt and a mob crusher and it's working out great except for one thing: the spawns on the delightful dirt trigger grass growth and after a bit the whole square is covered in grass which in turn stops the spawns. My quick no fuss solution is to set a dispenser+bucket above to drop some water and clear the glass but I'd like to go and automate that so it dumps water every minute or so. Is there a (modded) elegant solution to this or do I need to go figure out how to make a redstone clock?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the grass growing in the dark? I would figure if you had enclosed and no existing grass touched the area that grass would not spread into it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0TVbRcFoSY

On curseforge and you can get up to HV. Here is a fun part in the description.

"Yes, the rumors are true - Beds are gated at EV tier. Dont worry though, you can set your spawn in the Primitive Age."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is the grass growing in the dark? I would figure if you had enclosed and no existing grass touched the area that grass would not spread into it.

It's encased in glass with no other dirt/grass touching the delightful dirt.

(mob farm next to it)

maybe tinted glass would do the trick here as well?

edit: nope, need sunlight for things to spawn

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 16, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Holyshoot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0TVbRcFoSY

On curseforge and you can get up to HV. Here is a fun part in the description.

"Yes, the rumors are true - Beds are gated at EV tier. Dont worry though, you can set your spawn in the Primitive Age."
I wasn't sold until they mentioned the MASS TROLLING and custom trollface emojis, now I'm all in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think I am ready to build out my Platline finally. Got my building done for it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sunlight for pink slimes? Do you actually need dirt?

I think my knowledge on pink slimes is outdated now.

Edit: Hmmm I dunno, I think a Blightfall-esque pack of incomplete Greg stuff could actually be a lot of fun and take off a great deal with the whole edge with it too.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 17, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hmm... modpack that has multiple tech mods but you only have limited access to blocks from each of them...

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's encased in glass with no other dirt/grass touching the delightful dirt.

(mob farm next to it)

maybe tinted glass would do the trick here as well?

Industrial Foregoing mob slaughter factory and an Ender IO powered spawner, imo. I did this when I needed reinforced pink slime for Tinkers Construct and it worked perfectly, but it might be different for you if you need solid pink slime balls

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

Industrial Foregoing mob slaughter factory and an Ender IO powered spawner, imo. I did this when I needed reinforced pink slime for Tinkers Construct and it worked perfectly, but it might be different for you if you need solid pink slime balls

I do need the solid pink ones but that part I have figured out: I send the fluid pink slime to my network and I already have recipes to use a crafter+dissolution chamber to change it into solid pink slime. All I need is a solid pink slime generation. The ender spawner sounds like a good idea. Hell, I can provably just use dreadful dirt instead I’m not sure why I’m trying to make this work with delightful dirt outside of trying something different for each thing I build.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So is the reason people don't like GT++ is because of how annoying it is to craft the machines? They seem to work really well but take a lot of mixing of advanced metals and having to work with the new metal in liquid form and making a bunch of sub mats of those metals combined into new mats to build the thing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Holyshoot posted:

So is the reason people don't like GT++ is because of how annoying it is to craft the machines? They seem to work really well but take a lot of mixing of advanced metals and having to work with the new metal in liquid form and making a bunch of sub mats of those metals combined into new mats to build the thing.

Yeah I think it's like regular GT machines work within the tier. If it's an HV machine you know you're putting it together with stainless steel things and gold or silver cable. GT++ says you have to make a specific alloy for every different machine that only ever gets used for the one machine so you never have the materials ready from another process and you don't want to set up a dedicated production of fuckalloy-26 because you'll never use it again.

Also the multiblocks don't void overflow like base GT multis which might be good but also why is it different?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Toggleable void protection has been added to most/all the regular GT multiblocks in the recent dev versions, for what it's worth. There's a hell of a long wishlist of QOL features on the dev versions in general. Unfortunately, none of the dev versions post 2.3.0 have been stable enough to recommend without major caveats. The wait for the new stable version has been driving me up a wall.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

^ :argh:

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also the multiblocks don't void overflow like base GT multis which might be good but also why is it different?

Recent dev versions actually added void protection to a lot of the base GT multis. You can even selectively tell it to void only items or fluid, or turn it off. This feature is going to eliminate a TON of boilerplate work for me in IV+.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So I went back to ME^5 and I'm in Summerhaven, and I went down to the catacombs and the spawners down there are hyper spawners or something. I've got a silver sword and a cactus shield, which is not enough to clear out the area. Anyone experienced with the pack and still remembers how to make good weapons?

...maybe I'm not really supposed to be here yet. Summerhaven got moved to a more advanced lootbag in the last patch.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 19, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

So I went back to ME^5 and I'm in Summerhaven, and I went down to the catacombs and the spawners down there are hyper spawners or something. I've got a silver sword and a cactus shield, which is not enough to clear out the area. Anyone experienced with the pack and still remembers how to make good weapons?

...maybe I'm not really supposed to be here yet. Summerhaven got moved to a more advanced lootbag in the last patch.

Buckets of water are the cheese way to break the material energy packs but if you want to play legit then iirc it's still on the version where you can get both a cactus weapons and shield to stack the spikes to just block-kill everything. Judicious use of dirt blocks to creep forwards will also carry you a while.

E: Looking at it it's 1.12.2 so it'll be death shuriken time. Use the highest durability materials you can with one having jagged (bone, iirc), take it down 1 durability, make it infinite durability, and stack damage. Machine gun death.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 19, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

FPzero posted:

Is anyone still playing Vault Hunters? I finally started watching a playthrough of it and it definitely seems up my alley. I was just wondering how it's doing now since I remember people here talking about problems they had with progression, then how the mod author was fixing those problems and more.

I am and it's doing great at the moment, it's constantly getting better and better, there are so many options to cater for different play styles now and Iskall and the dev team actually listen to the community feedback now (it did start off as a "this is for SMP, suck it up solo players").

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Buckets of water are the cheese way to break the material energy packs but if you want to play legit then iirc it's still on the version where you can get both a cactus weapons and shield to stack the spikes to just block-kill everything. Judicious use of dirt blocks to creep forwards will also carry you a while.

E: Looking at it it's 1.12.2 so it'll be death shuriken time. Use the highest durability materials you can with one having fracturing (bone, iirc), take it down 1 durability, make it infinite durability, and stack damage. Machine gun death.

I can kill things pretty easily with the cactus shield yeah but the problem is it doesn't kill very fast. There's a long delay between blocks, though enemies can't hit me during that time either. I'll likely do the shuriken though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

I can kill things pretty easily with the cactus shield yeah but the problem is it doesn't kill very fast. There's a long delay between blocks, though enemies can't hit me during that time either. I'll likely do the shuriken though.

The exact way it works is that fracturingjagged makes the weapon do more damage based on lost durability and the durability is saved when making it infinite so you want it to have 'lost' as much as possible. Shurikens are also great in general with being unbreakable as just holding down rightclick will throw out a constant stream. Make sure you don't use a material that randomly causes durability loss as it overrides the unbreakable (manyullin, iirc, has this). Redstone does nothing so only do reinforcements and quartz.

E: Jagged. Not fractured. Memory, etc.

For the cactus stuff - don't just use a cactus shield. With a sword that also has a cactus part it should also gain the spiky trait and does the sword's damage per retaliation on top. Stack quartz on the sword and things can one shot themselves on you.

TiCon is always completely broken and no pack that ever wants combat to be a main focus should allow it without heavy restrictions :v:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 19, 2023

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I’m playing vault hunters too. The new quest book is nice to point out all the features.

I still don’t quite understand the gear progression though. I mostly just collect everything in chests because nothing seems like an upgrade but maybe I should be recycling and crafting new / better gear constantly? I need to really look at all the stats and figure out a plan there.

I set crystal mode to infinite because I got sick of it asking for stuff that’s hard to farm like moss blocks or raw cod, so having that option is nice instead of cheating in the supplies.

Knowledge points and gems are still a bit of a roadblock even with fortune enchant. I don’t like how the ores aren’t guaranteed to drop a gem. Finding the ores is the hard / random part. Doesn’t need more random on top of that.

Running vaults is fun though. I made a grid on paper so I can keep track of my position.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

VegasGoat posted:

I’m playing vault hunters too. The new quest book is nice to point out all the features.

I still don’t quite understand the gear progression though. I mostly just collect everything in chests because nothing seems like an upgrade but maybe I should be recycling and crafting new / better gear constantly? I need to really look at all the stats and figure out a plan there.

I set crystal mode to infinite because I got sick of it asking for stuff that’s hard to farm like moss blocks or raw cod, so having that option is nice instead of cheating in the supplies.

Knowledge points and gems are still a bit of a roadblock even with fortune enchant. I don’t like how the ores aren’t guaranteed to drop a gem. Finding the ores is the hard / random part. Doesn’t need more random on top of that.

Running vaults is fun though. I made a grid on paper so I can keep track of my position.

You get your best gear from completion crates, crafting is useful if you're really hurting for something but bear in mind at early to mid levels you're unlikely to roll rare+ and you straight up can't get omega level gear from crafting.

Gear should almost build itself progression wise, because you'll find yourself thinking things like "I need more mana" or "these mobs are hitting hard" then you can start making certain stats a priority. Also you really need to be using the Artisan Station for gear you like the look of, the cost for vault plating was increased this patch but there's a reason why you get a LOT of the various focus' from runs, just watch out for the "crafting potential" on the gear your re-rolling, if it gets too low it becomes super expensive and the % chance of getting good rolls drops. I normally stop rolling at about 50 crafting potential.

Player gems are annoying, but with 2 points in the "fortunate" expertise and fortune 3 enchant that's a base level fortune 5 and while you'll still get the odd 0 roll on an ore, it becomes less likely.

Also make sure you've always got a bounty going and don't be afraid to reroll lovely ones with bounty pearls, some of them can give loads of knowledge essence. Knowledge Essence is also found primarily in living chests, there's no shame in skipping wooden POI's and just hyper focussing on stuff you need.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Recently I have started to get latency that builds up over time. Prior to this the server would run fine for days on end but now after about 3-4 hours of playing. Or playing for a few hours then logging out I start to get errors like this. I notice when these issues start to crop up my ram usage is 1-2gb over what I told my xms/xmx to use. I am on java 17 for my server. I originally gave the world 6gb of ram and that worked flawlessly until recently then after I started to get these issues, I tried 10gb, 14gb, and back down to 8gb. All produce the same issue. The 6gb did crash saying out of memory eventually (while i was asleep) which is why I jumped it up higher. The rest of the ram amounts I have rebooted before it had a chance to possibly crash. Here is how I know its starting.

quote:

[10:08:28] [Server thread/WARN]: WARNING: Possible Lag Source at [-28, 77, -534] in Dimension 0 with 164123000ns caused by an instance of class gregtech.api.metatileentity.implementations.GT_MetaTileEntity_Hatch_InputBus
[10:39:56] [Server thread/WARN]: WARNING: Possible Lag Source at [-25, 69, -531] in Dimension 0 with 135561900ns caused by an instance of class gregtech.api.metatileentity.implementations.GT_MetaTileEntity_BasicMachine_GT_Recipe
[11:20:30] [Server thread/WARN]: WARNING: Possible Lag Source at [-47, 71, -531] in Dimension 0 with 181850300ns caused by an instance of class gregtech.api.metatileentity.implementations.GT_MetaTileEntity_Hatch_Output

It's random every time which machines it is, it also does not matter if I am logged in or not. This example I was not but had played a few hours prior just fine. I had another one the other day and when I teleported to the entity it was an unused canning machine. So I don't think this is an actual indicator of the problem spot. Maybe GC? Also this is my java argument I use

java -Xms8G -Xmx8G -Dfml.readTimeout=180 @java9args.txt nogui

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Rynoto posted:

The exact way it works is that fracturingjagged makes the weapon do more damage based on lost durability and the durability is saved when making it infinite so you want it to have 'lost' as much as possible. Shurikens are also great in general with being unbreakable as just holding down rightclick will throw out a constant stream. Make sure you don't use a material that randomly causes durability loss as it overrides the unbreakable (manyullin, iirc, has this). Redstone does nothing so only do reinforcements and quartz.

E: Jagged. Not fractured. Memory, etc.

For the cactus stuff - don't just use a cactus shield. With a sword that also has a cactus part it should also gain the spiky trait and does the sword's damage per retaliation on top. Stack quartz on the sword and things can one shot themselves on you.

TiCon is always completely broken and no pack that ever wants combat to be a main focus should allow it without heavy restrictions :v:

it's so funny, it just looks at the total attack damage of things that you're holding that have jagged, it starts to be just faster to just hold right click and wait for things to die to reflect damage

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Manyullin doesn't break unbreakable weapons in 1.12.2.

My favorite shuriken recipe is shamelessly stolen from here. IIRC mods needed are the Thermal series, Nuclearcraft, Actually Additions, and PlusTiC. (non-evil fork linked btw)

Enderium: Faster projectile speed, no projectile drop, can hit Endermen, can be used in water, can teleport drops to a chest without having to be picked up. Best utility material for a shuriken, easy

Restonia: does more damage when you're at full health, which will be always with this weapon

Manyullin: extra damage on first hit, and on subsequent hits

Boron Nitride: Jagged, and even more damage on subsequent hits

Milk chocolate emboss: 2 extra modifier slots allowing it to be unbreakable, plus tasty, allows consumption of durability instead of food

So the Nuclearcraft parts are going to be the most annoying part to set up, but it's totally worth it for essentially unlimited food. Doing the 1 ammo trick before making it unbreakable lets it 1-shot most non-endermen trash mobs

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, builds just got a pretty big shakeup in Vault Hunters update 11. Now there's basically a physical/special split for if you want to do more casting than sword slashing. I went pretty heavy into magic and swapped to a wand and it's pretty fun so far. We've only run a few vaults, but I did just open my first Treasure Door, which was exciting and profitable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Recently I have started to get latency that builds up over time. Prior to this the server would run fine for days on end but now after about 3-4 hours of playing. Or playing for a few hours then logging out I start....

Fixed my issue. Looks like it was an opencomputers setup I was using to monitor my power called NIDAS.

On another note what kind of energy hatches and amount do you guys throw on your GT++ machines in GTNH? I've got two with two HV energy hatches and the rest have 1 HV energy hatch but I was going to go 1 EV hatch for each. This would be for Macerator Stack, Industrial Centrifuge, Eletrolyzer, Orewashing plant and the sifter.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Are there any good reasons to make autominers in Create? It seems like they're worthless.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

On another note what kind of energy hatches and amount do you guys throw on your GT++ machines in GTNH? I've got two with two HV energy hatches and the rest have 1 HV energy hatch but I was going to go 1 EV hatch for each. This would be for Macerator Stack, Industrial Centrifuge, Eletrolyzer, Orewashing plant and the sifter.

Whatever you can afford. Your ore processing stuff will more or less run continuously if you are on the ball with keeping your MBMs working, so you need to plan for that. Stuff that's related to autocrafting mostly runs in bursts, so you can give them very high power use and lean on your LSC to provide excess power for burst usage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

samcarsten posted:

Are there any good reasons to make autominers in Create? It seems like they're worthless.
Depends on the pack, but from what I can tell, Create is more about using cobble generators + drills and processing lines to create infinite resources that way, rather than manually drilling out the earth.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
its weird, i'm having fun with gtnh, but I just can't wrap my head around create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

samcarsten posted:

its weird, i'm having fun with gtnh, but I just can't wrap my head around create.

Not that weird, really. GTNH says "here is a block or multiblock that does a thing, put item in, take different item out, link them together." It's a lot more akin to Factorio or other factory games.

Create does give you similar tools (this one mixes, this one crushes) etc, but the input level devices all have to be in world contraptions. A GTNH cobblegen is a rock breaker block, plug it in, satisfy the lava/water adjacency, it outputs cobblestone. A Create cobblegen is a mechanical drill contraption that interacts with actual minecraft lava-meets-water cobblestone generation.

Just started playing Create: Astral with my kid today and it took me a few tries to get an automated cobblegen contraption working the way I wanted it because I had to wrestle with the lava and water, glue the thing properly, remember which type of chassis I needed, etc. It still just dumps into a chest but bedtime hit before we could even start planning further automation. It really does take a much different style of thinking to make Create contraptions versus a GTNH factory.