Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, your post count is still going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grassy Knowles posted:

WWE announcer style Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodbeard

CMLL announcer style Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrodbeard

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Taeke posted:

After my appendectomy I got a couple of oxy tablets to get me through the first day or two. It gave me a slight buzz but mostly just made me tired, but worked wonders for the pain. Only needed like 8 tablets over 2,5 days or so and after that paracetamol did the trick.

Still, for a week or two after that I'd get these random thoughts/cravings about how an oxy would be nice right about now.

These were 4mg tablets and apparently in the US 10s of mg tablets are routinely prescribed just to take home with you and take as needed? loving insane

So based on your genetics you can have several variations of your opiate receptors. This is why some people will claim they make them tired others don't get much effect outside pain relief and an (un)lucky group feel like god jizzed into their brain. I'm in that last group, nothing feels better than that euphoria. Sober 6 years!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So based on your genetics you can have several variations of your opiate receptors. This is why some people will claim they make them tired others don't get much effect outside pain relief and an (un)lucky group feel like god jizzed into their brain. I'm in that last group, nothing feels better than that euphoria. Sober 6 years!

Hence the story of the homeless druggie who told your friend's cousin's sister's uncle, "never try heroin, you'll love it!"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Taeke posted:

These were 4mg tablets and apparently in the US 10s of mg tablets are routinely prescribed just to take home with you and take as needed? loving insane

Not any more they aren't. The extremely poor management of the opioid crisis has meant that a) lots of people were harmed by opioid abuse and b) lots of people are now unable to access effective pain management.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Taeke posted:

After my appendectomy I got a couple of oxy tablets to get me through the first day or two. It gave me a slight buzz but mostly just made me tired, but worked wonders for the pain. Only needed like 8 tablets over 2,5 days or so and after that paracetamol did the trick.

Still, for a week or two after that I'd get these random thoughts/cravings about how an oxy would be nice right about now.

When I had mine out they also offered me a scrip for oxy. This was at the same time the company was getting fined to poo poo and I looked at the nurse like :psyduck: I went home with no pain meds and had a very miserable few days.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Congrats!

Yeah, I had the same thing basically with another opioid (tramadol) that I took for like 12 days or so after shoulder surgery. Relieved the pain, made me drowsy but none of the euphoria. Still, in that case I'd get a regular craving for months afterwards and even a couple of years later it'd pop into my head. Morphine does make me feel happy and confident and poo poo.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Narcotics just kill pain for me. Percocets, liquid codeine phosphate, oxy, Demerol, never felt anything odd, except Demerol made me feel chill. Called it "my Sunday afternoon pill". Nothing stronger as a reaction. I kinda feel left out.

I had a couple surgeries. Returned the last Demerols to the pharmacy, kept the leftover codeine phosphate as the world's greatest cough syrup.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I probably wouldve died without morphine so im a p big fan

Also morphine is euphoric but tramadol is barely even pain relieving so idk what that means

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

After going through post fentanyl and Dilaudid withdrawals in the hospital I'm leery about anything stronger than aspirin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've never been prescribed an opiate and at this point I'm afraid what will happen if I am.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've never been prescribed an opiate and at this point I'm afraid what will happen if I am.

Awareness of the impact of opiates does a good deal.

Also nearly all of them have little to no effect on me, including in terms of addiction, and I was a TERRIBLE alcoholic so your experience with something else might not describe your experience with this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've never had an issue with alcohol other than being a cheap drunk. Which is more a feature than a bug.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you're in actual, real agony, give opiates a chance (in collaboration with your doctor)
If not, stay far the gently caress away

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was on 10mg hydro after some surgical complications and I didn't get a hint of euphoria from it. It worked on the pain, but that's it. Then when the pain went away, I just slowly tailed off to half and then quarter pills to avoid withdrawal. Don't miss 'em. Actual opium doesn't do anything for me either. Cilantro doesn't taste like soap so I guess I got some good genes.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
None of the painkillers they've ever injected or prescribed me have really worked. The closest is morphine which makes me euphoric but also I still hurt like crazy without the proper ability to process it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Opiates are almost never going to addict you the first time. Physical addiction takes multiple uses to get bad.

What I found in my addiction and sobriety journey is the dangerous part is when you start using them for mental pain instead of any physical pain you may be going through. I had used opiates recreationally very occasionally, like once every few months, for years and never had a single issue. But then one day some very hosed up poo poo happened in my life that destroyed me emotionally and increased my depression by 1000% in a time when I had no support network and my brain said "hey I remember something that makes me feel better" That was the danger point to me and I was addicted badly before I even realized what was happening. I wasn't really able to make any progress getting clean until I addressed the underlying issues I was using the opiates to treat or avoid.

That rat park heroin experiment is exactly on the money.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not get addicted to drugs

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
More like oldpainless

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Teach posted:

More like oldpainlessnessless

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teach posted:

More like oldpainless

Finally the curse is broken

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Meanwhile I went to the ER for an abscess and when they pumped me with morphine I was like "so when does it kick in" while the nurses looked at each other in concern. :sigh: meanwhile oxy helped my pain and also made me mentally not give a poo poo so if it hasn't been for a friend doing a bit of an intercession for me I might have been on that train ride like lots of other Americans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

zimbomonkey posted:

None of the painkillers they've ever injected or prescribed me have really worked. The closest is morphine which makes me euphoric but also I still hurt like crazy without the proper ability to process it.
Hello fellow painkiller resister. Do you also know what having your tooth drilled feels like?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splicer posted:

Hello fellow painkiller resister. Do you also know what having your tooth drilled feels like?

Lol, that was my entire childhood because my dentist apparently didn't know how to use the anasthetic correctly. I never said anything because I assumed it just hurt that much after painkillers. Getting a full root canal elsewhere as an adult was downright relaxing in comparison.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, that was my entire childhood because my dentist apparently didn't know how to use the anasthetic correctly. I never said anything because I assumed it just hurt that much after painkillers. Getting a full root canal elsewhere as an adult was downright relaxing in comparison.
It's weird, the idea of someone else getting no drugs dentistry makes me tense up and feel awful, while last time I myself got a filling replaced I was just all "get in there" because I didn't want a sore jaw from getting useless chemicals stabbed into it.

In a very real sense reading about little ensign hygiene getting your tooth nerves scraped hurt way worse than my own actual scraping experiences.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I probably wouldve died without morphine so im a p big fan

Also morphine is euphoric but tramadol is barely even pain relieving so idk what that means

Tramadol relies on your body metabolizing the drug to get the opioid bit. If you are one of the 'lucky' people that has lower activity from the enzyme in question, then it'll be less effective than a drug that throws you the good stuff from the get go.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My dad has some kind of mutation that means most drugs don't work very well on him, my sister inherited it to. He has had a lot of surgeries and every time we beg and plead with the anesthesiologists to give him more than they normally would and every time they nod along and act like the agree but its obvious they think we are bullshitting and then everytime he wakes up on the operating table and fights them. He even woke up during open heart surgery.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Tramadol relies on your body metabolizing the drug to get the opioid bit. If you are one of the 'lucky' people that has lower activity from the enzyme in question, then it'll be less effective than a drug that throws you the good stuff from the get go.

This is actually super useful info thank you

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I had my wisdom teeth taken out under local anaesthetic and the worst part was (presumably from bad experiences in the past) the dentist wouldn't show me them until after the procedure was done. Then after personally walking in to the pharmacy to get my percocet (oxycodone) prescription and getting home, I took one after the anaesthetic wore off. I only took halves as necessary after that because woo boy suddenly I understood why oxys are abused.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm glad I did wisdom under local instead of general since he dropped one straight down my throat and if I hadn't been awake to violently cough it out I might have legitimately choked.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D-Pad posted:

I'm glad I did wisdom under local instead of general since he dropped one straight down my throat and if I hadn't been awake to violently cough it out I might have legitimately choked.

:stonk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

D-Pad posted:

My dad has some kind of mutation that means most drugs don't work very well on him, my sister inherited it to. He has had a lot of surgeries and every time we beg and plead with the anesthesiologists to give him more than they normally would and every time they nod along and act like the agree but its obvious they think we are bullshitting and then everytime he wakes up on the operating table and fights them. He even woke up during open heart surgery.

lol my dad, sister, and I all have that poo poo and its infuriating. My dad woke up swinging (with his good arm) during his rotator cuff rebuild surgery and my sister woke up during her knee surgery while they were scraping the damage out. I jumped out of the chair and almost bit a doctor during my wisdom teeth removal at 14. We all warn them every time. I also got the "opiates just make me itchy and angry and dont help much" issue. Almost scratched myself bloody coming up from esophageal surgery. Luckily i stayed out cold for that one. Woulda been real awkward to wake up during that one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of my intelligence. But because, I am hosed-up on morphine.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Splicer posted:

One time my dentist dealt only a "glancing blow" with the novocaine.

I was honestly too poor to correct her.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Dale-Taco posted:

Its 2003, I am a junior in high school and my friends are showing me a video on newgrounds.

Its 2023, I am scrolling through a page on a dead internet forum and click on a video.

Its 2063, I am being interrogated by the historical inquisition about the meaning of a video.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Biplane posted:

If you're in actual, real agony, give opiates a chance (in collaboration with your doctor)
If not, stay far the gently caress away

I keep some hydrocodone in my backpacking first aid kit in case anything horrible happens that needs immediate and serious pain relief. As an example, a few years ago my girlfriend broke her shoulder and had to hike out 10 miles with her arm in a sling, shoulder still broken, with only advil to dull the pain. Needless to say I have no intentions on having a similar experience.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Paladinus posted:

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of my intelligence. But because, I am hosed-up on morphine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
M'orphine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baller Ina posted:

One time my dentist dealt only a "glancing blow" with the novocaine.

I was honestly too poor to correct her.
Please don't tell me that US dentists charge per shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Splicer posted:

Please don't tell me that US dentists charge per shot.

I think you’ll be best ignoring the US health system if this information disturbs you.