Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just found your own monastery in the French Alps taps_forehead.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Data Graham posted:

Just found your own monastery in the French Alps taps_forehead.jpg
I tried to follow these instructions but I ended up with the Priory of Sion.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SubG posted:

For diamondbacks (and Jack Roses) I like E&J apple brandy better than applejack, but that could be because the only applejack most places carry is Laird's, which I think is kinda bland.

Are we talking about just the regular 80 proof Laird's Applejack or their 100 proof bonded apple brandy? Or both?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

my kinda ape posted:

Are we talking about just the regular 80 proof Laird's Applejack or their 100 proof bonded apple brandy? Or both?
Both, I guess. I think their applejack is fairly meh. Their apple brandy is better, but if we're talking about apple brandies instead of just applejack, then there are other apple brandies I prefer.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Laird’s bonded is very good. Non-bonded Laird’s products are generally not worth buying.

I prefer yellow Chartreuse specifically in a Diamondback, but also gimme an Alaska, a Nova Scotia, or a Fourth Regiment instead.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Scythe posted:

Laird’s bonded is very good. Non-bonded Laird’s products are generally not worth buying.
Can someone educate me on the intricacies of bonded spirits vs non-bonded?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Wikipedia’s article is a good starting point.

As for Laird’s BIB, yeah, it’s less apple-forward than an apple eau de vie or even an aged Calvados, but it works for those drinks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do like the BIB brandy but i am morbidly curious to try that white lightning stuff they make sometime. it sounds awful lol

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Can someone educate me on the intricacies of bonded spirits vs non-bonded?

Government gets involved in guaranteeing the provenance, aging, and proof of a spirit. Basically, a quality statement that you’re not selling poison in exchange for tax collection. Adulterated spirits were a big problem in young America.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm tryna put my new Vitamix through it's paces tomorrow. Anybody have a favorite blended cocktail or two?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm dialing in on one of my favorite negroni/boulevardier variations I found at a bar near me. They stopped making it when the head bartender left, so I've had to recreate it myself. It was called a grey matter and it was listed as James E. Pepper Rye Whiskey, Tempus Fugit Creme de Banane Liqueur, Campari, Sweet Vermouth Blend. Currently using Sazerac rye and just cocchi, but am pretty close with a 1 bourbon, .75 compari, .75 split of vermouth/banane. It's shockingly good, and the banane fades into the background but is there when you look for it. So nice!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

I'm tryna put my new Vitamix through it's paces tomorrow. Anybody have a favorite blended cocktail or two?

My favorite is a banana batida. In the vitamix go, per serving, 2 oz cachaça, .5 oz banana liqueur, .75 oz of lime juice, one ripe banana, and a handful of ice. Blend til smooth. I like to do 3-4 servings at a time.

Runner up is my British Egyptian - in the blender goes, per serving, 2 oz gin, 1.5 oz lemon juice, 1 oz demerara syrup, a handful of mint leaves, and a few dashes of cardamom bitters along with a handful of ice. Again, blend til smooth and serve it up. Absolutely hits the spot when it's hot out.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Carillon posted:

I'm dialing in on one of my favorite negroni/boulevardier variations I found at a bar near me. They stopped making it when the head bartender left, so I've had to recreate it myself. It was called a grey matter and it was listed as James E. Pepper Rye Whiskey, Tempus Fugit Creme de Banane Liqueur, Campari, Sweet Vermouth Blend. Currently using Sazerac rye and just cocchi, but am pretty close with a 1 bourbon, .75 compari, .75 split of vermouth/banane. It's shockingly good, and the banane fades into the background but is there when you look for it. So nice!

I’d try
1.5 rye
.75 campari
.75 vermouth
.25 banane

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Doctor Bird rum has a *very* pronounced mushy bananas flavor and works incredibly well with Cocchi in a Kingston Negroni variation, somewhat related to banana negroni talk

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I do like the BIB brandy but i am morbidly curious to try that white lightning stuff they make sometime. it sounds awful lol

It’s beautiful and if you don’t like it then more for us.

When the elasticity crisis hit smaller producers of brown spirits a decade ago, Lairds dropped the BiB label on their apple brandy, then decided to release an un-aged brandy to fill the gap- that’s the white lightning.

A handful of cocktail bars in NYC bought the first shipment in days. It was briefly discontinued while North Garden spun up production to keep the white lightning from depleting the pipeline to the aged Brandies. If you see the 12+ years on the shelf DM me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

It’s beautiful and if you don’t like it then more for us.

When the elasticity crisis hit smaller producers of brown spirits a decade ago, Lairds dropped the BiB label on their apple brandy, then decided to release an un-aged brandy to fill the gap- that’s the white lightning.

A handful of cocktail bars in NYC bought the first shipment in days. It was briefly discontinued while North Garden spun up production to keep the white lightning from depleting the pipeline to the aged Brandies. If you see the 12+ years on the shelf DM me.

that's a hell of an endorsement tbh

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Why do so many nice restaurants stock bog standard vermouth?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've started using grapefruit zest instead of orange as garnish for my negronis and I don't think I'm ever going back.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Why do so many nice restaurants stock bog standard vermouth?

Because most bog standard vermouths are very well made?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, honestly I love Noilly Prat, it's great stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

not gonna re-ignite the M&R debate again lol

but yeah I picked up a bottle of Noilly Prat a couple weeks ago and was really shocked at how good it was vs how cheap it was

also I dunno why but Cocchi has been really hard to find around me lately

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

not gonna re-ignite the M&R debate again lol

but yeah I picked up a bottle of Noilly Prat a couple weeks ago and was really shocked at how good it was vs how cheap it was

also I dunno why but Cocchi has been really hard to find around me lately

I actually love Noilly Prat. The fact that it's inexpensive is a bonus.

poo poo doesn't have to be expensive to be good. But I'm just on the good side of actively disliking M&R, and if that's what they use, I order something else after I finish that Manhattan.

Cocchi Torino is my favorite Manhattan vermouth, though. I loving love that stuff.

Noilly Prat with Aztec chocolate bitters makes a fantastic Manhattan spin as well.

And Carpano Antica if I need to placate my sweet tooth.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Noilly Prat with Aztec chocolate bitters makes a fantastic Manhattan spin as well.

literally did this last night haha

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

literally did this last night haha

It's so good. Comes out like a chocolate covered cranberry for me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what bourbon did you use?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

what bourbon did you use?

Jack Daniel's Rye. I always use rye for Manhattan

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Myman.gif

I actually mixed it up and used woodford reserve bourbon but yeah I use rye in Manhattans 99% of the time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also my parents went to Argentina and brought me back stuff I'm so happy

e: the Fernet 1882 is a local brand from Cordoba where Fernet first got big in AR. It tastes like a cleaner, drier Fernet-Branca I'm really excited to mix with it

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I use rye in Manhattans 99% of the time

same here, but this sounds halfway between a manhattan and a left hand so bourbon sounds like a good way to go!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also my parents went to Argentina and brought me back stuff I'm so happy

e: the Fernet 1882 is a local brand from Cordoba where Fernet first got big in AR. It tastes like a cleaner, drier Fernet-Branca I'm really excited to mix with it

:eyepop:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I made a Turf Club tonight:

2 oz Plymouth Naval Strength Gin
.75 oz Noilly Pray Extra Dry Vermouth
.25 oz Luxardo Maraschino
2 dashes Bitter Housewife Orange Bitters
2 sprays of Absente 100
Served in a chilled martini glass, Lemon peel expressed over top

Stir this one a lot to dilute. A very dry drink, not bad if you like strong herbal cocktails.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a couple friends coming by this weekend. I asked if there were any drinks they like.

Whiskey sour
Moscow mule

I try to make people what they want/like but this has me feeling depressed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can make them things that are similar to what they like, but which include more fun ingredients. Like a Pisco sour and a Gin-Gin Mule. Most people don't have any taste, not in the sense that they can't appreciate nice things, it's more that they've never had cause to do so, so they stick with the handful of things they know. Such people are often delighted by new things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whiskey sour is a great drink (always with the egg, few drops of Peychaud's on the foam) and a mule also is if you swap the spirit for something else. Gin and rye are my favorites.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i don't really see the issue with either of those drinks.

vodka is meh but i don't get feeling sad or upset that people like things I don't

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not that I don't like them, it's that I don't like making them. I just find them uninteresting to create. I was hoping they would ask for something I'd never heard of that I had to look up and then was surprised to find I had everything I needed already.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also i'm settling into a rum blend I really like for a quick daiquiri:
1oz smith & cross
1oz dark Barbados (I have this random bottle I got but when it's done probably Plantation 5-year would be perfect for this)
1/2oz rhum agricole

then the usual 3/4oz lime juice and 1/2 demerara syrup

I usually save the agricole for a full-on mai tai but it really adds a whole nother layer of depth to the daiquiri

VVVVVVV i've started getting used to adding 1/2oz of OFTD to a lot of my rum drinks lol, I like em strong as hell

e: my one friend who's a huge rum guy describes OFTD as rum ketchup - add a little bit to lift up virtually any mediocre rum-based drink

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 18, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's a dark and strong daiquiri.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smith & Cross owns.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it is not the rum I would recommend to anyone but it is my favorite rum by a good margin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone had the Pierre Ferrand Yuzu Curacao? It seems like it could be awesome and I've generally loved their stuff, but curious if they delivers.