Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

90sgamer posted:

Why does Sonys marketing deal prevent Microsoft from putting their old call of duty games on game pass?

I'm guessing they're not allowed to promote anything in the franchise on other platforms beyond what's already been agreed and GP counts as a promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

External Organs posted:

I dunno man, naming your game after a Nazi website ... Bad!
we're taking it back

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

External Organs posted:

A-Are you confusing Stormgate with Stormfront?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Waaaiiit.

You mean I'm not supposed to play Stardew Valley with 10 wiki tabs open for reference at all time like it's a Paradox grand strategy game?

Early Minecraft conditioned me that checking the wiki is a necessary part of gaming.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend played through elden ring for the first time with the wiki open the whole time, pure cringe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean stormgate is coming soon

External Organs posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

A-Are you confusing Stormgate with Stormfront?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean stormgate is coming soon

Yeah but it's free to play, which could be yuck, also hero units that may be too close to warcraft 3's level, which I did not enjoy.

Total War Warhammer has mostly supplanted and surpassed what I enjoyed (BIG BATTLES) from classic RTSs for me. Also SC2's coop mode was tons of fun I played that a lot, I'd like to see that come back and expanded upon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

homeless snail posted:

I played starcraft 2. im okay with there not being a sc3

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

VostokProgram posted:

i am loving up the aliens in xcom 2 but even though i put it on easy difficulty i think i might lose the campaign. the spooky chosen assasin lady's bar is close to full and i dont have anyone ranked high enough to finish her hunt operations.

If the chosen fill their bars it doesn't end the game, you just have to fight a special avenger defense mission.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/team-behind-playstations-patapon-reveal-successor-game-ratatan/

quote:

A spiritual successor to PlayStation’s classic rhythm action game Patapon was unveiled at BitSummit in Kyoto, Japan on Saturday.

‘Ratatan’ is being developed for unspecified platforms by Patapon creator Hiroyuki Kotani, with audio by original Patapon musician Kemmei Adachi. The game will be crowdfunded via Kickstarter with the campaign due to start on July 31.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't particularly. Being a fan project retrochivement avoids a lot of the more odious aspects of modern game development in regards to achievements and also offers insight into the sometimes nebulous fan outlook regarding the games that they love; inside jokes, challenge runs, masochistically difficult challenges all these can find purchase inside of an achievement set and it says a lot about the culture of that game to see what is added, adored, or denigrated in that subset.

Well said, and I've been digging this aspect of RetroArch a lot. I've been pleasantly surprised with how pleasantly the Megaman X achievements have been designed, and I'm interested in how the communities have tackled tactical rpgs like Fire Emblem.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

If the chosen fill their bars it doesn't end the game, you just have to fight a special avenger defense mission.

oh that's good to know.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1680328917809242112?t=OWct3d6EiOc2uOQy56Qn5A&s=19

drat 20 years of a game I really like but can't stand actually playing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a remake :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Biggest twists in all of gaming?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone clearly never played Metal Gear Solid 2

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Biggest twists in all of gaming?

I'm struggling to remember what the twist even is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a remake :v:

Yeah if only there was one in development, preferably by a studio that actually makes video games. Would suck if you threw a port house in the deep end of that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm struggling to remember what the twist even is

(Is it worth spoilering this after 20 years) The player character is the villain, mindwiped

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

TFW it’s revealed that sgt iroquois plisken was snake this whole time 🤯

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Iroquois Pliskin was a Lieutenant Junior Grade, do you even metal gear

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s not actually a lieutenant junior grade. He’s made up

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you're just mad because he brought you coal last Christmas

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KOTOR 1 is kinda bad honestly

Bioware sucks at writing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dabir posted:

KOTOR 1 is kinda bad honestly

Bioware sucks at writing

i think people remember it primarily because the whole "you are reven" thing was honestly a novel twist for video games in 2003, even if the rest of it was stock standard bioware stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was the first Bioware game I played so not something I'd really notice

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Vermain posted:

i think people remember it primarily because the whole "you are reven" thing was honestly a novel twist for video games in 2003, even if the rest of it was stock standard bioware stuff

Gonna point out that the only notable game Bioware made before that was Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 so stock standard bioware stuff wasn't run into the ground yet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's also just not good on its own merits. They have a shallow well of tropes they go back to and that well tastes like the dog's been drinking from it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vermain posted:

Also people loved HK-47

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Best thing about HK-47 is in KOTOR2 where he does imitations of 1's crew, including,"Let's go press our disgusting bacteria infested lips together!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HK-47 is the most original thing in KOTOR 1 and he's just Bender

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
KOTOR2 was such a disappointment that I wasn't surprised there wasn't ever a real KOTOR3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was also a pretty big novelty in a Star Wars RPG, which is what got me to play it despite being mostly a JRPG player.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the voice cast of war of the chosen is like a star trek reunion

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1680328917809242112?t=OWct3d6EiOc2uOQy56Qn5A&s=19

drat 20 years of a game I really like but can't stand actually playing

When i played it 20 years ago it was amazing, but I cant see myself wanting to play now. I would rather play Star Wars the Old Republic, or Star Wars Galaxies.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

There sure were a lot of Star Wars games around that era

I liked the RTS that had some neat space combat. You could damage individual bits of say, a Star Destroyer, and the damage would show. Knock out its engines and you could leave dead in the water, for example. Everything died a bit too fast from what I remember, so it wasn't a big enough factor

There was also ground combat portion that I just remember as being insipid

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kotor still largely holds up imo; I couldn't put it down when I tried the iPad version a few months ago. It's really a very simple game, especially in terms of the levels and their limited asset variety, and yet it's enough of a veneer. The writing is cartoonish, and most characters are cardboard thin, but somehow it all comes together well enough to transport you into this other world. And the carrots of loot and leveling make the prospect of adventure all the more enticing.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of it has aged poorly, and it started getting stale in the second half, but I don't think you'd need to update the formula that much. I'd welcome a return to slightly more modest (in terms of scope) character driven rpgs in the vein of old Bioware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Kotor still largely holds up imo

with the caveat that you'll have a poor time if you don't get it's d20 rpg mechanics (combat was pretty miserable in my first playthrough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite BioWare game is that one where you assemble a crew of people from diverse backgrounds and skillsets by going from a hub with access to three areas with their own self contained stories and quests, then to another hub with access to three areas with their own self contained stories and quests, before a final level where the big plot revelations occur.

I also like how in that game you can choose between good choices and not-good choices in dialog.

Also you can gently caress some of your crew by talking to them a couple times between these areas.