Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

TOS' gender politics have aged like milk, but in that respect it's a product of its time.

It still holds the uncontested championship of "best first season of a Trek TV series," though, and it isn't even close.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MuddyFunster posted:

TOS season one is an incredible run of episodes with only two (Conscience of the King and The Alternative Factor) that I have no full opinion of whatsoever, since they both genuinely put me to sleep every time I tried to watch them. Maybe they're great? I do not know!

Just had a pretty excellent two-fer of TNG eps, Coming of Age and Heart of Glory. Both good stuff! Not sure about the clear upper walkways in engineering being fragile enough that you can just fall face first through them onto the lower level, seems like a health and safety blunder. Otherwise, TNG Klingons are metal as gently caress.

lol, i usually skip "conscience of the king" too. honestly, mostly because i don't like barbara anderson's voice, but the plot is kinda meh too. obviously there's lots of shakespearean acting, if that's your thing you'll probably like it. personally i find it kinda boring

and yeah "the alternative factor" kinda sucks. it's pretty nonsensical

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I make no bones about the fact that a lot of my love for TOS is nostalgia.

Like, I think it bears mentioning that the TV series of the early to mid 1970s consisted of stuff like Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, Columbo, Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, and The Waltons.

2001: A Space Odyssey had been done, although you weren't going to see that on network TV at the time. There was also, I guess, Space 1999? And the TV show Lost in Space. But it's all really insignificant as far as what you could see on TV at the time.

So Trek was a really big deal, back then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Conscience of the King is pretty good. The Alternative Factor is awful

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Conscience of the King is pretty good. The Alternative Factor is awful

:hmmyes:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The alternative factor is unintelligible and it's also repeated beats: the episode where the same thing happens over and over again without moving the plot forward.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have always liked the 'overloading phaser inside the red alert light' scene from Conscience of the King. Fun fact: that's the only time in any series (that I know of) where a "double red alert" is called.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Double red alert on you!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Coulda killed Lt Riley tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Alternative Factor is a total mess, maybe the worst episode in the entirety of Star Trek. There’s a lot of other bad episodes but very few that are so flimsy. The guest star was having a breakdown/bender and didn’t show up so they wasted a bunch of time waiting for him, then replaced him and rushed through filming what they could in the time they had left. It’s a poo poo show and the only good thing about it is the ending where Shatner stands up and basically goes (in a very intense voice), “well, how about that”

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How could you pass up such nuanced scenes as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qT1efW8BT4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Alternative Factor is a total mess, maybe the worst episode in the entirety of Star Trek

Turnabout Intruder would like a word.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

TOS' gender politics have aged like milk, but in that respect it's a product of its time.

It still holds the uncontested championship of "best first season of a Trek TV series," though, and it isn't even close.

Yes to the first, but I'd put Prodigy up there for best first season honors. That show started good and ended great with no stinkers in the entire run.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Conscience of the King is pretty good.

Conscience of the King's premise is quite a bit better than its actual execution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Turnabout Intruder would like a word.
Turnabout Intruder is also terrible but in a story way. The Alternative Factor is nearly incomprehensible at times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Conscience of the King's premise is quite a bit better than its actual execution.

Disagree, it's honestly top 5 in the season... maybe for all of TOS for me. Shatner's great in it, the guy playing Kodos/Karidian is good, Kelley/Nimoy nail their roles, and even the dude playing Riley is solid.

Hell, the premise is ropey as hell and clearly makes way more sense as an episode of, like, The Rifleman or something. But the execution elevates it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Conscience of the King didn't do much for me but I know it's pretty generally well regarded. Alternative Factor certainly isn't though! It's the Manos of Star Trek, just a complete failure to ever get off the ground. It's not even funny-bad unless you're really into that sort of thing.

Regarding the updated effects in the remaster, they're pretty bad and I definitely avoid them, but with the relatively low amount of effects shots in the show, I wouldn't say it really makes or breaks the experience. You're not really missing out on much. It's more just unnecessary.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, if it wasn't for legal bullshit I'm sure fans would've done substantially better updated episodes. (Along with multitudes of really terribly done ones)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s me, I’m the one who enjoys The Alternative Factor. It’s a mess but it’s a weird mess that tickles my brain idk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Hell, if it wasn't for legal bullshit I'm sure fans would've done substantially better updated episodes. (Along with multitudes of really terribly done ones)

I wonder if it's now possible to clean up, re-composite and upscale the original VFX shots

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've only watched 95% of TOS in adulthood, but I love it. The "heh, women" and "women :argh:" comes at you out of left field sometimes, and there's a lot of plot recycling between episodes, and I often don't care for the "let's raid the studio lot's wardrobe to save a buck this week" episodes, but most of it's so... goddamn... fun.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree, it's honestly top 5 in the season... maybe for all of TOS for me. Shatner's great in it, the guy playing Kodos/Karidian is good, Kelley/Nimoy nail their roles, and even the dude playing Riley is solid.

Hell, the premise is ropey as hell and clearly makes way more sense as an episode of, like, The Rifleman or something. But the execution elevates it.

Wasn't it originally written for a Western? I thought I remembered reading it somewhere. Either way it would take very little to make it a regular Wagon Train episode.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Sir Lemming posted:

Regarding the updated effects in the remaster, they're pretty bad and I definitely avoid them, but with the relatively low amount of effects shots in the show, I wouldn't say it really makes or breaks the experience. You're not really missing out on much. It's more just unnecessary.

The Botany Bay going into a slow tumble after Enterprise drops the tractor beam was pretty looking. There are also a few shots where glowing orbs were replaced with starships that fit the TOS look fairly well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

There are also a few shots where glowing orbs were replaced with starships that fit the TOS look fairly well.

The design of any replacement assets or ships in TOS remastered was always great. I believe Okuda supervised that stuff. It was the 3D quality and shot direction that was often lacking.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Eh there were certain parts where the designs of the new cgi seemed way out of place with the general aesthetic of TOS. The android showing its insides off comes to mind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, yeah I meant, like, ships and space stations and things. There were some live action or matte inserts I wasn't sure about.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

It was a good choice to use the automated Federation cargo ship design from the animated series in TOS remastered. For the manned version they added an extra module on the front that fit the design perfectly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's me, I'm the other one who likes the remastered effects. I think at worst it's a wash and people are giving the original effects too much of a pass because of nostalgia.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I have no nostalgia for tos but I'd rather see the originals out of historical interest.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

The physical media releases included both versions, so it’s not like the original versions were Lucased out of existence. That would have been an insult to the people who worked on the original effects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

It's me, I'm the other one who likes the remastered effects. I think at worst it's a wash and people are giving the original effects too much of a pass because of nostalgia.
I also thought they were fine....a lot of the original effects were extremely rough and while I'm not going to say that the ones from the remaster are amazing, they are still a step up. I don't think it really takes away from much since any of the space shots are extremely quick.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

cenotaph posted:

I have no nostalgia for tos but I'd rather see the originals out of historical interest.

This is where I am. I'm not expecting anything except lovingly rendered paint backdrops and beautiful model work

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

The physical media releases included both versions, so it’s not like the original versions were Lucased out of existence. That would have been an insult to the people who worked on the original effects.

Yeah, I have the blurays so if I want to watch either version, I can.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cij2kF5SU1Q

I'd say looking at this comparison for this one episode the ship stuff is fine for the most part (the super thick straight line phaser shots in the original made me laugh a bit so any change to them is good) but I think I like the original Doomsday Machine more, I really like the look of the inside of its mouth and I don't know if its just my brain filling in details but it looks like the original prop has like a clear outer coating over it? It seems more interesting, crystalline almost. Also again, I don't know if its just my brain filling in details, but the conical shape of it almost looks more like perspective in the original, like it's an incredibly long thing, whereas seeing it move more in the redone effects makes it more clear its just a cone that's honestly not very large.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
let's be real, both versions of the doomsday machine look kinda stupid

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

that's what they all said. then they DIED.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT?!?

*sobs*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kinda want to put a huge mural of the doomsday machine on the back wall of the garage, and then do the Commodore Decker faces every time I pull the car in.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Kinda want to put a huge mural of the doomsday machine on the back wall of the garage, and then do the Commodore Decker faces every time I pull the car in.

no ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

that's what they all said. then they DIED.

The doomsday machine wasn't always a doomsday machine, it just tired of every planet it went to calling it stupid looking.