Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Danann posted:

Concurrently, Pentagon leaders have acknowledged that getting startup tech to the warfighter is a national security imperative

Literally everything about this phrase is incredibly cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Concurrently, Pentagon leaders have acknowledged that getting startup tech to the warfighter is a national security imperative"

The Pentagon has entirely forgotten what user and acceptance trials are eh? You're going to put out nightly hot fixes for military equipment?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

"Concurrently, Pentagon leaders have acknowledged that getting startup tech to the warfighter is a national security imperative"

The Pentagon has entirely forgotten what user and acceptance trials are eh? You're going to put out nightly hot fixes for military equipment?

whoops all scams too

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

lessons learned from theranos = not enough theranos

An economy based around countless scams is far more useful than one that actually produces.things. Russia has a.smalled economy than California

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Warfighter is one of the most ridiculous words. How did it take off?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My favourite recent trend here is that they only get Operators to test gear being developed at DRDC and then it's either too expensive to actually procure, or r-slurred (the helmet that needed a bracket added to rifle sights to be able to look through them), or actually sucks like the pants with kneepads because I guess door kickers wear Crye pants with kneepads and lol Canadian soldiers can't get an ouchie on their knees.

It's so dumb that everybody is enamoured by the light infantry that were exclusively used to terrorize civilians at night, because they rode around in helicopters and looked cool doing it.

mawarannahr posted:

There's actually a dumb reason that escapes me but the American Army was having a hard time motivating soldiers during the GWOT and literally had focus groups and consultants come in to help them develop the term in the early 2000's. It's supposed to be the ethos for the 21st century soldier, which is basically a piggish, narcissistic, individualistic American - rather than a professional that is part of a team. Remember the senior brass of the 2000's all had MBAs so dumbass marketing stuff was their preferred solution to institutional problems.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jul 16, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

buddy you need a lot of courage calling unopposed airstrikes on defenseless brown people

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

There's actually a dumb reason that escapes me but the American Army was having a hard time motivating soldiers during the GWOT and literally had focus groups and consultants come in to help them develop the term in the early 2000's. It's supposed to be the ethos for the 21st century soldier, which is basically a piggish, narcissistic, individualistic American - rather than a professional that is part of a team. Remember the senior brass of the 2000's all had MBAs so dumbass marketing stuff was their preferred solution to institutional problems.

lol figures it was something like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

Remember the senior brass of the 2000's all had MBAs so dumbass marketing stuff was their preferred solution to institutional problems.

Israel was so indulgent on ”Effects-Based Operations" word salads that they effectively disarmed their entire reservist cohort prior to their historic 2006 humiliation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem with America after 9/11 is that it's hard to enjoy Starship Troopers the same way:

You can read it if you want

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was seeing what else I had on this and discovered that the US military was investigating ways to make warfighters feel better about killing kids.

The problem was not killing the kids, but feeling bad about it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
"We might speculate that these marines felt rationally appropriate guilt for having incurred unjustified collateral harm, yet..."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem with America after 9/11 is that it's hard to enjoy Starship Troopers the same way:

"See these kids right here? Here is our plan to arm and train them to die for Obama's oil profits."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This hits way too close to home. (Unlike Excalibur :tipshat:)

Though I kind of want to see if I can order and frame a paper copy, because it's the most "2008-in-Artillery" thing I've ever seen.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jul 16, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

If you want a good laugh go look at the front page of the Military Sealift Command website. Massive bonuses for almost every rate. They only run all the dry cargo, ammo and fleet oilers that supply the USN.

They're offering a 22k signing bonus + an annual salary over 130k for steward-cooks. Anyone want a job? You'll be stuck on a ship for 10 months out the year though. Wonder why they cant get people.

that’s all normal. you need SCTW and/or a license.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The term "warfighter" is clearly dated and won't inspire Gen Z to serve their country and protect freedom. More importantly, it does not accurately reflect the flexibility that modern combat requires. We need a new term that better encompasses the reality that soldiers face on the ground. Instead of single large wars against defined enemies, global conflicts are now composed of numerous smaller encounters with constantly shifting battleground and opponents. And the term "fighter" brings to mind someone like Rocky Balboa lashing out with his bare hands, rather than modern soldiers who employ cutting-edge communications and weapons technology.

There's only one word which can describe the sort of soldiers required by this new modality: fightwarriors.

Pentagon, PM me for Paypal deets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Karia posted:

The term "warfighter" is clearly dated and won't inspire Gen Z to serve their country and protect freedom. More importantly, it does not accurately reflect the flexibility that modern combat requires. We need a new term that better encompasses the reality that soldiers face on the ground. Instead of single large wars against defined enemies, global conflicts are now composed of numerous smaller encounters with constantly shifting battleground and opponents. And the term "fighter" brings to mind someone like Rocky Balboa lashing out with his bare hands, rather than modern soldiers who employ cutting-edge communications and weapons technology.

There's only one word which can describe the sort of soldiers required by this new modality: fightwarriors.

this is my fight song

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I disagree, I think it's better than ever in the context of the current climate

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s all normal. you need SCTW and/or a license.

Hiring bonuses and wages of that size are not normal on government ships. They might be in the commercial world, I dunno.

I sailed with an ex-MSC mate on my last ship who came over to the union crewed government ships and took a 40k pay cut to get a consistent rotation. He quit after 10 years of service because they stranded him in Diego Garcia for 9 months and kept gaslighting him about a relief coming in two weeks so he missed the birth of his kid. Then they tried to call him back to a ship at short notice after less than 2 weeks of leave.

To hear him tell it people are quitting in droves, and thus the desperation bonuses.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

Hiring bonuses and wages of that size are not normal on government ships. They might be in the commercial world, I dunno.

when I graduated people couldn’t get MSC officer billets, I remember a couple of 03 grads taking unlicensed billets just to get in the door.

MSC was what people who wanted to get sea time ASAP with a big check to advance their licenses did. most people only did it a couple of years. the churn is a feature, because there is always the new graduates from KP and the state schools looking for jobs every year.

Polikarpov posted:

I sailed with an ex-MSC mate on my last ship who came over to the union crewed government ships and took a 40k pay cut to get a consistent rotation. He quit after 10 years of service because they stranded him in Diego Garcia for 9 months and kept gaslighting him about a relief coming in two weeks so he missed the birth of his kid. Then they tried to call him back to a ship at short notice after less than 2 weeks of leave.

That’s also normal for MSC. And DGar sucks. Guam/Saipan and the Baltic were always the better places to get on the union crewed chartered vessels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/roadtoserfdumb/status/1679939989193334789?t=rZfjoc3g_uJMoze5PrugTQ&s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly how could they tell? I thought the one feature of a US Marine was being a total moron?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I imagine it's some study where there's an increase in "vouchers" or whatever they give to officers as an exception to the mental standards a marine is allegedly supposed to pass. Maybe they're just grading the tests more rigorously, or covid makes people stupider idk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

This hits way too close to home. (Unlike Excalibur :tipshat:)

Though I kind of want to see if I can order and frame a paper copy, because it's the most "2008-in-Artillery" thing I've ever seen.

You know that scene from Iron Man where Robert Downey Jr says the best weapon is the weapon you only have to fire once

People actually believed that was a good idea

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking that, but you nailed it. Goddamn.

Nah, it's totally real

Sequoia Capital posted:

Hydrogen offers many benefits: it’s a versatile fuel that can be easily manufactured in the field, it can be interchangeable across all Mach systems, and, most importantly, it enables major advancements in range and power for projectiles as well as unparalleled loiter time and speed for aerial systems. Leveraging this, Mach is focused on developing a suite of oxyhydrogen defense platforms, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and aerial protection devices. With this innovative approach, Mach ultimately aims to solve the challenging problem of hypersonic defense.

Actually lol, it's orange guns:

TechCrunch posted:

At some point along the way, he developed what he called an “[obsession] with electrolysis.” Electrolysis is a process by which water is split into its constituent elements — one of which, of course, is hydrogen. The first result of that obsession was a small arms device he made while still in high school. The entire thing cost around $200 — funded by his parents, after he pitched them with a 20-page paper — and consisted of a couple of deer feeder batteries and an electrolyzer, all powering what was essentially a bazooka.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
wunderkid must know more than japan who betted their entire economy around hydrogen for 30 years and still got nothing out from it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Karia posted:

In honor of I vote for Warfacer. Kids these days can't wait to face war and become Warfacers!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

Honestly how could they tell? I thought the one feature of a US Marine was being a total moron?

i guess they've moved from scraping the bottom of the barrel to kicking the whole thing over and scooping up the scum and grime that's congealed underneath

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

i guess they've moved from scraping the bottom of the barrel to kicking the whole thing over and scooping up the scum and grime that's congealed underneath

i mean why would they even need aptitude tests when their only real job is being uncontrollably horny and high in and around camp

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Palladium posted:

lessons learned from theranos = not enough theranos

Theranos 2: Grift Harder

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

I’ve attended conferences on this and posted the book that resulted from them Rethinking Professionalism in Today’s Changing Armed Forces but the short answer is that western militaries suck so bad and pay so little that even if you joined out of love for King and Country, why the gently caress would you stay in if you could do anything else?

An absolute blockhead dumbass I worked with who only ever talked about golf was hired by Raytheon to be a sales guy and made like x3 his salary as a captain his first year.

Neoliberalism destroys institutions. Intelligent, capable, career-minded PMC strivers do not want to join or remain in an institution that is falling apart, they want a more appropriate vehicle for their ambitions, like the 2lt that went to work for FitBit right before they were acquired by Google and is now living the Bay Area Top 30 Under 30 whatever bullshit Patagonia vest dream.

Improving the quality of the military and officer corps not only costs money but involves making, essentially promises to workers. Increased pay, pension, benefits, housing etc. It’s anathema to the ruling class and the McKinsey consultants DND hires to say actually the problem is that CAF is not diverse enough. Which is true - but why would a woman chose to enter or stay in the military compared to any other career field and deal with the existing sexism? They wouldn’t, neither would an upwardly mobile go getter Asian person, or Inuit person, or sexual minority, so they’re under represented because anyone driven enough to face the barriers in the Old Boys Club could just do something else, make more money, have more social cache for it and not have to deal with the workplace culture or abuse.

Last thing: Female Canadian military spouses make 50% of their peers with equivalent educational attainment. It’s impossible for them to have stable, let alone successful, careers with the nightmare posting schedule. Male military spouses (dudes rock) make even less.

Okay, so:

- The military does not pay enough to support a single income household

- Particularly for the university graduate officer class

- They stopped building family housing in 1995 because developers got mad, so now you have to buy or rent at Canadian prices on one, lower than average income

- You have to do this every 3 years

- Ambitious, intelligent people usually meet and marry similarly ambitious, intelligent people in university, for Millennial couples, studies say their spouses career is “Very Important” to like 90% of them

- Are you going to tell your equally educated career minded partner that she has to be an Army Wife? And you can’t even support a 1950’s Officer’s Wife lifestyle on the pay anymore, remember?

- Are you going to tell her to work at Best Buy or whatever retail job because she can’t really have a compatible professional career?

- Are you going to ruin your own career and get threatened with a “failure to progress career” discharge annually if you pass up postings to support her career? I have several friends that either released voluntarily or got the axe for this.

- Or, lol the increasing number of terminal Captains who have given up ever having a military career that demonstrates their intelligence and ambitions by finding a position that can only ever be in Ottawa or Kingston and staying there for 25 years.

- Most of my friends’ wives make at least double what they do if they went down this track. They have real jobs as academics, doctors, nurses, in neoliberal think tanks, whatever, and get paid accordingly. This is fine for Millennials, I think (putting this to the thread) but their Boomer dickhead bosses will make them pay a price for that socially, as well as the above mentioned professional cost.

So, who, demographically, I mean even temperamentally does that leave? People who don’t have much else to do, don’t mind that it sucks and don’t mind loving over their spouse? For no money?

They did this to themselves.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Jul 16, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol wait till you learn about japan's SDF where troops have to pay for lodging, amenities and transport out of pocket inside their own loving camps

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

this is also true for intelligence jobs because they pay public sector wages. in Aus they have to pay 60% ‘skills adjustments’ or massively over tier jobs to get cyber or crypto technical people to work at the spook factory. so you have either ‘assistant technical officer’ making more money than their five layers up boss, or Senior Department Director Secretary who is actually a guy who knows how to configure a firewall and has no direct reports.

(this is also true for the rest of the public service but that’s another matter)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

If you want a good laugh go look at the front page of the Military Sealift Command website. Massive bonuses for almost every rate. They only run all the dry cargo, ammo and fleet oilers that supply the USN.

They're offering a 22k signing bonus + an annual salary over 130k for steward-cooks. Anyone want a job? You'll be stuck on a ship for 10 months out the year though. Wonder why they cant get people.

The last time I turned down a USN cook's sign on bonus, Iraq happened. No thanks.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve attended conferences on this and posted the book that resulted from them Rethinking Professionalism in Today’s Changing Armed Forces but the short answer is that western militaries suck so bad and pay so little that even if you joined out of love for King and Country, why the gently caress would you stay in if you could do anything else?

also specific to marine officers, these problems compound. the us marine corps has always been the place for true blue believers, fanatics of America’s deserved place atop the world. every year that set of beliefs becomes harder to maintain for a thinking person, regardless of ideology. and another problem - the prestige formerly offered by the usmc has now largely transferred to jsoc. true blue believing fanatics are highly motivated by prestige.

in short the there’s fewer of the kind of guy today that would be a marine officer a couple decades ago, and most of that kind of guy today is trying out for SEALs instead.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’ve got the worst possible solution. we’re going to privatize the national guard and turn it into a chud country club for CrossFit/bjj/and church of jorp and joe Rogan. at the higher belt levels you get your thetans cleared and get to pay to go off to private buds

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

in short the there’s fewer of the kind of guy today that would be a marine officer a couple decades ago, and most of that kind of guy today is trying out for SEALs instead.

Every western military has had 20 years of the cult of the Operator steering recruits, resources and promotions to the indigo child branch helicopter parented by Management of Savagery neoliberal governments and it has severely hosed up Big Army as a result. It's way worse even than when you needed parachute wings to get promoted and a US Ranger tab or Jungle Expert course or something for choice assignments.

It's also made the working culture suck. If you were really good at pushups at age 19, you might be a Brigadier General now, basically because of getting into SF at that particular moment, and now you'll somehow be brigade commander in a conventional war against Russia and/or China. God help us.

Didn't the Marines in particular have Operator problems? They had to shut down MARSOC and then rebrand or something?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn't the Marines in particular have Operator problems? They had to shut down MARSOC and then rebrand or something?

the story I heard was the marines were always hostile to the idea of having separate special units beyond those necessary to accomplish their mission (snipers, recon) because it draws talent away and hurts the branding (marines care deeply about branding). If these guys are the real tough guys then what’s the deal with the rest of you?

But when jsoc became a thing it and then became the future, the usmc could either participate or get left behind. and again, the marines care deeply about branding. they’re not going to let a story develop of them getting left behind.

So now you have marsoc in jsoc, but what’s their deal? what makes them special? gently caress. we need branding. there were marine commandos in ww2 right? and they had a badass name. hell yeah. problem solved. marsoc are now “raiders.”

extreme caveat: I am like a billion levels from knowing the actual story, that’s just the story of it all I’ve heard. it’s entirely possible, likely even, that the actual story is on the lines you imply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqJ4LIlQO9s