Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bip Roberts posted:

Great movie great soundtrack

Apparently Bill Petersen took some of the fake money they printed for the movie (which was A+ quality) and spent it in bars and restaurants lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also speaking of david mamet, and heist movies, Heist is pretty good for what it is, but kind of weird. its got that kind of stodgy feeling that happens when mamet directs his own stuff. but i love the cast and the dialogue is fun. like, its clearly A Heist Movie For Old People but i guess thats where i am now

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

also speaking of david mamet, and heist movies, Heist is pretty good for what it is, but kind of weird. its got that kind of stodgy feeling that happens when mamet directs his own stuff. but i love the cast and the dialogue is fun.

Ricky Jay was great in that one (as usual) and I always loved Delroy Lindo's performance.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If Al Pacino is in Heat, keep a spray can of water handy for when he starts yowling at 2am.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

haljordan posted:

Apparently Bill Petersen took some of the fake money they printed for the movie (which was A+ quality) and spent it in bars and restaurants lmao

IIRC,Friedkin hired several former counterfeiters to either do the money used in the movie or show the actors how to do it, something like that

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC,Friedkin hired several former counterfeiters to either do the money used in the movie or show the actors how to do it, something like that

Yep

quote:

Despite the crew's best efforts, some of the counterfeit bills made for the film got into circulation. The bills' quality was very, very good, but the Treasury seal on the counterfeits used the letter X, which is not a valid Federal Reserve Bank letter. The Secret Service picked up X bills for quite a while after filming wrapped.

And I apologize, it was the director who passed the money lol

quote:

William Friedkin, in his memoir "The Friedkin Connection", says that the fake money they made was so good that, after some of it left the set, he eventually heard from the Secret Service and a US Attorney. After he avoided a confrontation with them, Friedkin states, "When the film came out, there were news stories about people trying to make counterfeit money after seeing the step-by-step process in our film. I took some of the twenties, those printed on both sides of course, put them in my wallet, and spent them in restaurants, shoe-shine parlors, and elsewhere. The money was that good."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 15, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

haljordan posted:

I thought I read that it was basically perfect but only 3/4 size

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hey maybe someone in this thread can help me with this

i have a very strong memory of a 70s spy thriller. kind of fell somewhere between Ronin and Spy Who Came In from the Cold, atmosphere-wise. cold war paranoia, lots of running around different cities in Europe, and also with a tense scene involving the old shuttle at Dulles airport. in my memory this movie stars Richard Burton and Alain Delon. but i cant see anything in either of their imdb listings that looks like it. does anyone know what im talking about?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

hey maybe someone in this thread can help me with this

i have a very strong memory of a 70s spy thriller. kind of fell somewhere between Ronin and Spy Who Came In from the Cold, atmosphere-wise. cold war paranoia, lots of running around different cities in Europe, and also with a tense scene involving the old shuttle at Dulles airport. in my memory this movie stars Richard Burton and Alain Delon. but i cant see anything in either of their imdb listings that looks like it. does anyone know what im talking about?

Was it Scorpio?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070653/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yes that is it! i guess i confused richard burton and burt lancaster somehow. i guess because burt lancaster's character is a lot like leamas from spy who came in from the cold

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

oh yes that is it! i guess i confused richard burton and burt lancaster somehow. i guess because burt lancaster's character is a lot like leamas from spy who came in from the cold

lol no worries, I only figured it out because you mentioned Alain Delon.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
heres my mann top 5 ranking,

heat
thief
manhunter
collateral
last of the mohicans

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

thathonkey posted:

heat
thief
manhunter
collateral
last of the mohicans

Good call on Thief, a Jimmy Caan classic

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thathonkey posted:

heat
thief
manhunter
collateral
last of the mohicans

I love Miami vice wayyy more than I should but this is absolutely the correct order

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haljordan posted:

Good call on Thief, a Jimmy Caan classic

With that sweet Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkF2hTO8Y0

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Disco Pope posted:

If Al Pacino is in Heat, keep a spray can of water handy for when he starts yowling at 2am.

lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

* Checks the Safety

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Val is the 5th best Batman. But, He was still Batman.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let's see this Batman list

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Let's see this Batman list

1 Chris Bale
2 Michael Keaton
3 Adam West
4 Val Kilmer
5 That guy from ER

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
drat, I guess he was the 4th best Batman

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

drat, I guess he was the 4th best Batman

Ben Affleck doesn't make your top 5 list, or did you just forget about him?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Ben Affleck doesn't make your top 5 list, or did you just forget about him?

should I also include the Twilight guy?
Haven't seen them. No opinion

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

should I also include the Twilight guy?
Haven't seen them. No opinion

Twilight Guy was a great Batman, you should consider.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Twilight Guy was a great Batman, you should consider.

best he can do is no.4
just gonna beat out Val or George.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

1 Chris Bale
2 Adam West
3 Twilight Guy
4 Michael Keaton
5 Ben Affleck
6 Val Kilmer
7 Clooney

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

1 Chris Bale
2 Adam West
3 Twilight Guy
4 Michael Keaton
5 Ben Affleck
6 Val Kilmer
7 Clooney

this is the difference between me and you as a child. Michael Keaton will always be at least #2 for me.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I thought Batman dont use guns

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If Beetlejuice Batman and Madmartigan Batman squared off in a no holds match, who would win?

I got 5 on Mr. KILLMORE

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The winner of a Batman Royale would be Affleck Batman. He machine gun straffed a bunch of private security guards from a plane just so that he could steal a rock they were transporting, without even knowing exactly what it was. No way he’s gonna lose against a bunch of “no kill rule” Batman

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

haljordan posted:

Ricky Jay was great in that one (as usual) and I always loved Delroy Lindo's performance.

Recently watched House of Games, also directed by David Mamet with a Ricky Jay appearance. Enjoyed it quite a bit, had a very young William H. Macy appearance.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

The winner of a Batman Royale would be Affleck Batman. He machine gun straffed a bunch of private security guards from a plane just so that he could steal a rock they were transporting, without even knowing exactly what it was. No way he’s gonna lose against a bunch of “no kill rule” Batman

yeah, but Keaton has the best "I'm Batman"

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
No I'm Batman

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You can play Spiderman but IM BATMAN

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm literally 5 steps removed from Kevin Bacon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was surprised how much i liked the pattinson batman. like when it came out i was really tired of batman movies and batman as a concept, and i thought it was stupid that they were making more batman movies with anyone because like come on. but eventually i saw it and actually enjoyed it a lot. colin farell was really good too

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i cant say i enjoyed the movie a ton overall, it was fine, but robert pattinson as batman really worked for me and im looking forward to him doing more of the role

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Kevin Conroy was the best Batman, RIP.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

sock it to me! posted:

Kevin Conroy was the best Batman, RIP.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU