Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

dipwood posted:

Been reading The Amazing Village Creator: Slow Living with the Village Building Cheat Skill (not on mangadex but on other sites) and it scratches that building sim itch.

with such a common setting, sucks that there isn't that many real games of these types. like village sims and such. I know they are some, but its all mostly military.

its like the villainess type isekais. The otome villaniness setting games...don't actually really exist. its a mix of common tropes smashes together that's easy to write off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this series, I Use High-Level Medicine to Counter Magic, seems interesting. it OPENS with a beastman slave caravan, of course, so it's got that against it. it's also got a surgeon from our world getting struck by lightning and teleported to a fantasy world where basically the first thing he does is perform surgery on a chimera to remove a barbed harpoon head from its side, with the slave catgirl he freed helping as his assistant. it's also got a bunch of little facts about medicine, surgery, general health notes, etc sprinkled about. it seems interesting from the few chapters available, if the "isekai that has slavery in it" thing isn't an instant dealbreaker.

the evil church in this one is one where, since only humans can use healing magic, they extort ridiculous sums from the dying and desperate to heal them, and if they don't pay enough, "can't be saved". they're basically the american healthcare system. I also like the design of the male catpeople, the catgirl is just a catgirl, but the catguys look weird to me, and I like that. It also has yakuza demons, complete with suits :allears:

it's promising. also I didn't expect the forest god to accompany them, but he sure is cute.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GateOfD posted:

with such a common setting, sucks that there isn't that many real games of these types. like village sims and such. I know they are some, but its all mostly military.

its like the villainess type isekais. The otome villaniness setting games...don't actually really exist. its a mix of common tropes smashes together that's easy to write off of.

IIRC there is like one specific game series from the 90s that the villainess stories were originally based on (like, with a magic academy and an explicit "villainess" rival character), but then everyone else started copying that and getting further and further away from games.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 11, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yeah, it's called Angelique. I don't think it was ever officially ported to English.

Kotaku started a Let's Play of it, but I don't think they ever did a second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdUcDBM0s4

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Not bad so far, it has slavery but it doesnt really engage in it nor has the MC justify the institution to themself immediately. He also isnt a super powerful dude who could obliterate the slavers

I’m hoping he breaks out a Trauma Center healing touch time stop surgery, but that’s very much not the tone lol. A Trauma Center isekai would be a interesting

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe one day villainess games and magical girl beat em ups will be a real series we'll see lots of this generation.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Looks neat, though I think to myself if human surgery skills would be as effective on beastmen, and other demi-humans with different anatomy systems. Especially with the Chimera, sounds more like a vet. situation.

Loved the Trauma Center games. Other than the weird Trauma Unit one which was just kind of a hospital mini-game simuator

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

SystemLogoff posted:

Chapter 2, page 7. Dropped reading.

I know what you are thinking. I almost posted that panel. But it never really gets any worse than that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Started reading Akuma Koujo and it's good so far. It's a double reverse isekai. Demon from fantasy world is reincarnated in modern Japan but is sealed by some monks and sent back in time without her fantasy world memories

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Actually on that, does anyone have some good Reverse Isekai recommendations? Been reading through Welcome To Japan, Miss Elf, and some similar things, so I’ve got a bit of an itch.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There doesn't seem to be a lot of actual reverse isekai. Most seem to be where someone was summoned but came back.

The first real one that comes to mind is Orenshi no Kita where a magic knight becomes a farmer in Japan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Antitonic posted:

Actually on that, does anyone have some good Reverse Isekai recommendations? Been reading through Welcome To Japan, Miss Elf, and some similar things, so I’ve got a bit of an itch.

One day Dead Mount Death Play will update.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Antitonic posted:

You are in the wrong thread for good isekai.

There is that demon king working at MC-D one, it was pretty popular.
There were a lot of knockoffs of that one, which are all mid to bad.

There was also one where a mage gets reborn as a Japanese schoolgirl and then gets portal isekaied back to her homeworld. Where she introduces superior Japanese food.

Also, the best isekai ever is also the best reverse isekai:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/6880d356-e892-457b-bb30-0c42b75de073

Actually the "person working at an evil organisation in a superhero world" subgenre has similar story beats as reverse isekai, but is generally better.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

One day Dead Mount Death Play will update.

Forgot about that one. It got licensed and everyone dropped it. So you'll either have to buy it or pirate it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Antitonic posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer is pretty good. The premise is that all the traits that made the Demon King rise to the head of the demon army also make him a fantastic employee and WcDonalds, which he believes will be his springboard to world domination

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I liked the implications of the sources of magic in that too. Angels drew power room harmony, happiness and contentment, so were incentivised to keep human civilisation stable.
Demons drew power from fear, panic and pain so became more powerful when doing wars, but also made pretty fantastic emergency responders.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Antitonic posted:

I like this one: https://mangadex.org/title/a28036e8-cdd4-4f43-8fa8-1f5469e40d3f/boukenka-ni-narou-skill-board-de-dungeon-kouryaku

Only has up to ch 26 on mangadex but there are scans up to 40

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I remember liking this. Thanks, never thought to look on other sites.

I should probably go through my mangadex reading list and see if any other series are behind.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
There's also this one, where whole troops of monsters from a fantasy world invade Japan and the MC is a kid on the run who gets caught up in it and also happens to be a skilled assassin and the Chosen One. Pretty dark and gory though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mirage posted:

There's also this one, where whole troops of monsters from a fantasy world invade Japan and the MC is a kid on the run who gets caught up in it and also happens to be a skilled assassin and the Chosen One. Pretty dark and gory though.

I've been reading this, its semi-decent so far, but yeah super gorey.

Antitonic posted:

Are we counting Gate? Its kinda both? They come and go to and from Japan, although the main story is in the other world, significant plot points happen in Japan with people from the other world transferring between the two. Its also fairly brutal and a lot of traumatic :nms: :nws: poo poo happens, so be warned.

https://mangadex.org/title/3b8e4dc5-bffa-4382-a23c-be97c44ab4e2/gate-jieitai-kanochi-nite-kaku-tatakaeri

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 14, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Reposting Academy’s Undercover Professor because the current heist arc is shaping up to be quite entertaining with the introduction of genderswapped anime Sherlock Holmes and Watson, who spend their introduction scene deducing the MC’s whole backstory in the isekai world

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-academys-undercover-professor/list?title_no=4636

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

thetoughestbean posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer is pretty good. The premise is that all the traits that made the Demon King rise to the head of the demon army also make him a fantastic employee and WcDonalds, which he believes will be his springboard to world domination

God, the first season of the anime is just immaculate.

Don't bother with the second season, in my opinion.

Does Ya Boy Kongming count as Reverse Isekai? That was fun. So's stuff like Restaurant to Another World which is super loving cozy watching. Just turn that on for an afternoon when you wanna relax and you get elves and vampires coming to an earth restaurant and marveling at the miracle that is modern cuisine and global supply lines--which honestly really makes you appreciate that sorta stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the fact that you can get katsudon and carbonara in the same restaurant as one of those ridiculous parfaits the chef loves to make would be mind blowing to your average fantasy inhabitant. Yet the restaurant to another world is only extraordinary because of its dimensional magics. Another restaurant Isekai is Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" although it has the dumb natives flaw.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Fellis posted:

Reposting Academy’s Undercover Professor because the current heist arc is shaping up to be quite entertaining with the introduction of genderswapped anime Sherlock Holmes and Watson, who spend their introduction scene deducing the MC’s whole backstory in the isekai world

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-academys-undercover-professor/list?title_no=4636

I like anything dealing with the teaching and students, but bored of anything dealing with the underground organizations that the MC turns out it have another named persona to introduce

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I agree the school parts are better, but I’m a sucker for a good heist gone wrong. Especially as it seems he won’t be able to just violence/bluff the complications away this time

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the fact that you can get katsudon and carbonara in the same restaurant as one of those ridiculous parfaits the chef loves to make would be mind blowing to your average fantasy inhabitant. Yet the restaurant to another world is only extraordinary because of its dimensional magics. Another restaurant Isekai is Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" although it has the dumb natives flaw.

Dumb natives? Nobu? What makes you say that?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Does Ya Boy Kongming count as Reverse Isekai? That was fun.
Not really but I think going by this and the other thread people are willing to discuss time travel stories as I think there's a significant overlap between isekai and hopping at least a couple centuries forward/backwards in time. Hell, if you filed off a couple things even the average chapter of Nobu could just be a modern japanese store being displaced to medieval Europe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are a couple of times in nobu where the fantasy people seem woefully ignorant of food preparation methods, like grilling eels instead of boiling them. Like apparently nobody had ever tried alternative cooking methods like baking or frying for an unappetizing food, despite the fact that the first thing humans usually do with a new food is try every preparation methods they've heard of on it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

There are a couple of times in nobu where the fantasy people seem woefully ignorant of food preparation methods, like grilling eels instead of boiling them. Like apparently nobody had ever tried alternative cooking methods like baking or frying for an unappetizing food, despite the fact that the first thing humans usually do with a new food is try every preparation methods they've heard of on it.

Pretty much this with roasting over fire beint the universal method of cooking across the entire species so grilling should not be a surprise.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea, humans have buried stuff into the ground till it ferments and smells and taste like poo poo and still eat it because that's what humans did to survive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new fabiniku and given the last chapter I think it was obvious what would happen

though not in the way one might expect :allears:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Antitonic posted:

This reverse isekai just got a huge drop of 20 some chapters which rocketed it through the second arc where They do a brief stint in the isekai world and the MC introduces :911: magic

https://mangadex.org/title/39ead81d...ansformed-japan

The comic is so-so, but the MC isnt too annoying with the edgy backstory and it isnt too objectionable (but def not wholesome)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fellis posted:

This reverse isekai just got a huge drop of 20 some chapters which rocketed it through the second arc where They do a brief stint in the isekai world and the MC introduces :911: magic

https://mangadex.org/title/39ead81d...ansformed-japan

The comic is so-so, but the MC isnt too annoying with the edgy backstory and it isnt too objectionable (but def not wholesome)

Yeah they almost all dropped yesterday, huge plot jump too.
Some :nws: stuff too, fyi.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
As long as it’s not gratuitous or exploitative, :nws: is fine. I think it was Re:Monster that pushed that line too far for me, but it’s been a while since I read it, so I’m not 100% sure that’s the specific title. (I know it’s the title of A series, just not if that’s the one I remember.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new Ideal Sponger Life

I love that he just casually introduces easily-reproduced printing systems in a civilization that does not have such a thing, without thinking of the consequences. surely a useful tool, but also literally world-changing in scope. they played him like a fiddle with his son as a bargaining chip but his response was so outlandish and useful that it totally threw them off guard. I'm kind of hoping they try to pull some bullshit to possibly kidnap him or blackmail him into working for them, and having it backfire spectacularly.

I continue to thoroughly enjoy this completely unassuming isekai series that is seemingly wish fulfillment but quickly turns into a whole lot of politicking. that's probably why it's only got a rating of 8.28 on mangadex, people see the intro and assume it's going to be a lot more of that only for it to get into extremely dry political discourse

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a new Ideal Sponger Life

I love that he just casually introduces easily-reproduced printing systems in a civilization that does not have such a thing, without thinking of the consequences. surely a useful tool, but also literally world-changing in scope. they played him like a fiddle with his son as a bargaining chip but his response was so outlandish and useful that it totally threw them off guard. I'm kind of hoping they try to pull some bullshit to possibly kidnap him or blackmail him into working for them, and having it backfire spectacularly.

I continue to thoroughly enjoy this completely unassuming isekai series that is seemingly wish fulfillment but quickly turns into a whole lot of politicking. that's probably why it's only got a rating of 8.28 on mangadex, people see the intro and assume it's going to be a lot more of that only for it to get into extremely dry political discourse

Same, its a really good one. And yeah, I think people wanted more harem poo poo rather than political discourse, too bad for them. It occupies the same space as 'How A Realist Hero Rebuilt The Kingdom' although that series has more action/harem junk. I've always liked how the Queen isn't just some side character/piece of rear end but is actually largely the driving force for most of the political intrigue with her guiding the main character rather than the other way around, and he doesn't mind that in the least.

'How A Realist Hero Rebuilt The Kingdom':
https://mangadex.org/title/1ef6ddce-7930-45ae-a335-9a45604b99f7/genjitsushugi-yuusha-no-oukoku-saikenki

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On that line of thinking are there any isekai series that do follow through with the ramifications of the protagonist introducing society-altering technology to their fantasy world? Like after a time the world becomes unrecognizable as the modern technology rapidly changes the cultures affected by it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's that "instant death skill" isekai that literally has cities straight out of Japan, electricity, even entire groups of japanese descendants because of the frequency of isekai'd people in it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

There's that "instant death skill" isekai that literally has cities straight out of Japan, electricity, even entire groups of japanese descendants because of the frequency of isekai'd people in it

Yeah, that one got really tiring after a while, although it had some good concepts. His instant death skill is really just as overpowered as you can get, and kinda makes the story a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That one has the amusing premise that they're in what's effectively the lowest energy state world: it's extremely easy to isekai there, but extremely hard to leave. But, like, there are multiple worlds above it, so their history consists not only of Japanese high schoolers popping in, but also like invasions by extradimensional demons and whatnot, and it's just a mishmash of everything at once.