Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Reveilled posted:

The problem is that it’s presented as true. Repeating just so stories and misconceptions about the past is how you get chuds talking about how we need another Sulla, or that dumb as gently caress “hard times make strong men” canard.

The conventional account of Sparta for example, makes it out to be a strange but fundamentally strong society whose focus on strength, honour, and martial virtues made it relatively incorruptible, and that’s been the conventional account for over two milennia. We now know it’s a load of horseshit and have known that for decades but the conventional view still holds sway in the public consciousness because people uncritically reproduce it and present it as fact.

Or, to bring it to something more recent, the idea that the USA more or less single-handedly won WWII, when in fact the Soviets did most of the work and the Americans mostly just prevented a soviet Europe. Or that the American civil war was started by North because they hated state's rights.

So yeah, repeating the common narrative is okay if it's actually correct, but in many cases, the narrative is in fact propaganda. See also: portrayals of Jews in Christian texts after Christianity became the Roman state religion.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Or, to bring it to something more recent, the idea that the USA more or less single-handedly won WWII, when in fact the Soviets did most of the work and the Americans mostly just prevented a soviet Europe. Or that the American civil war was started by North because they hated state's rights.

That is swinging too far in the other direction. The Nazis would not have been able to defeat the USSR but winning like they did was another thing entirely.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BonHair posted:

Or, to bring it to something more recent, the idea that the USA more or less single-handedly won WWII, when in fact the Soviets did most of the work and the Americans mostly just prevented a soviet Europe.

:ironicat:

My dude lol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hunt11 posted:

That is swinging too far in the other direction. The Nazis would not have been able to defeat the USSR but winning like they did was another thing entirely.
Counterpoint:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is a misleading survey because it excludes the first choice of most responders - France

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Also:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

The problem is that it’s presented as true. Repeating just so stories and misconceptions about the past is how you get chuds talking about how we need another Sulla, or that dumb as gently caress “hard times make strong men” canard.

The conventional account of Sparta for example, makes it out to be a strange but fundamentally strong society whose focus on strength, honour, and martial virtues made it relatively incorruptible, and that’s been the conventional account for over two milennia. We now know it’s a load of horseshit and have known that for decades but the conventional view still holds sway in the public consciousness because people uncritically reproduce it and present it as fact.
I suppose it also depends what people believe as narrative truth and what people believe as material truth. People can believe both that dragons are unlikely to have ever existed and that Saint George killed one.

Some narrative truths are inherently linked with bad ideas (Lost Cause, Clean Hands Wehrmacht) and others are more just part of culture and mythology. Big Strong Sparta, like many stories, has a bit of both.

I'm the giant land snail of Bordeaux.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the good laugh. France at the end of World War II was affronted by the fact that the US and the UK had any part in liberating them so they would have given the praise to Japan before giving any credit to the US or the UK.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Thanks for the good laugh. France at the end of World War II was affronted by the fact that the US and the UK had any part in liberating them so they would have given the praise to Japan before giving any credit to the US or the UK.

exactly. good to know the veil of hatred is lifted in france and they can now accurately describe ww2

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They now have the hatred of veils instead.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

My dude, literally a third of them gave credit to the US and the UK.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am so glad that people read my post which essentially said that it was an Allied victory and took it as saying that the USSR did barely anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absent opening the fronts in Italy and France, and the German allocation of resources to build and staff the atlantic wall, and things like the lend lease program for things like food and logistical vehicles, it is likely the Soviets would have had a harder time of it. And that was apparently the opinion of Soviet command at the time as well because they were always pushing to have western European fronts opened as soon as possible.

They might still have won regardless but it's pretty accurate I think to suggest that it would likely have looked quite different.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

BonHair posted:

Or, to bring it to something more recent, the idea that the USA more or less single-handedly won WWII, when in fact the Soviets did most of the work and the Americans mostly just prevented a soviet Europe.

The US massively outclassed every other country on Earth when it came to industrial output during WWII, and even Soviet leaders admitted that they could not have won against the Nazi's without Lend Lease. Not to mention the US fighting the war both in Europe and the Pacific.

Sure, the US absolutely didn't single handedly win WWII but downplaying it's contribution is equally inaccurate.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose it also depends what people believe as narrative truth and what people believe as material truth. People can believe both that dragons are unlikely to have ever existed and that Saint George killed one.

Some narrative truths are inherently linked with bad ideas (Lost Cause, Clean Hands Wehrmacht) and others are more just part of culture and mythology. Big Strong Sparta, like many stories, has a bit of both.

I'm the giant land snail of Bordeaux.

I'm the little forest guy getting ready to defend Nantes from the Dragon of Tours.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mustang posted:

The US massively outclassed every other country on Earth when it came to industrial output during WWII, and even Soviet leaders admitted that they could not have won against the Nazi's without Lend Lease. Not to mention the US fighting the war both in Europe and the Pacific.

Sure, the US absolutely didn't single handedly win WWII but downplaying it's contribution is equally inaccurate.

Yeah, I made an rear end of myself, and essentially I'm just buying into the neo soviet counter narrative probably. So yeah, please question your sources for stuff, and try not to repeat stuff that's not actually true.

But also, not having the Soviets win alone in Europe was a motivation for USA, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All sides in the war were conscious of wider geopolitical maneuvering after the presumed conclusion, yes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1679926857486204929?s=46&t=KMMfueYvpy-W7VUWexdGpA

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
And re:WW2 I thought at this point that the historiography had mostly settled on the conclusion that WW2 was almost single-handedly won by the Time Lord known as “the Doctor” who interfered in several significant events on behalf of the Allies

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

they really need to clear that panama constriction before their honduras burst

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's what they said.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The french did this

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

The french did this

Goya was Spanish actually

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

EasilyConfused posted:

Goya was Spanish actually

The picture is part of the "Disaster of the war" showing the atrocities that the french comited when they invaded spain. Mass shooting of civilians. Hanging bodies with severed parts from trees. Soldiers raping womans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disasters_of_War

Tei fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 16, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

The picture is part of the "Disaster of the war" showing the atrocities that the french comited when they invaded spain. Mass shooting of civilians. Hanging bodies with severed parts from trees. Soldiers raping womans.

It was a joke...

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lol never change D&D

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Negostrike posted:

Lol never change D&D

lol truly, and goons in general—what is a joke?

p hosed up that goya committed massacres

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BonHair posted:

So yeah, repeating the common narrative is okay if it's actually correct, but in many cases, the narrative is in fact propaganda. See also: portrayals of Jews in Christian texts after Christianity became the Roman state religion.

Without lend-lease soviets would have been fighting Germans with sticks and stones

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

This would be more interesting to see different points between '45 and '91

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zesty posted:

This would be more interesting to see different points between '45 and '91
They had to wait for the Warsaw Pact to dissolve before doing it again.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I’m fairly certain there exists a broader poll, though not in that time frame necessarily, where the major wwii allied participants are polled on a similar question, and the us and ussr (prolly russia for the actual poll) both understandably inflate themselves, France a bit more balanced, but plucky lil Britain was like ya we’re 80% the most responsible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did i clean my sink? no, it was the sponge

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

The french did this

Thank you.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mustang posted:

So the US were the job creators of WWII.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Armacham posted:

Without lend-lease soviets would have been fighting Germans with sticks and stones

ZiS and Tula furiously churning out piles of sticks

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

ZiS and Tula furiously churning out piles of sticks

It's called hyperbole 👍

Seems like without lend lease, tula and zis wouldn't have been free to churn out a drat thing

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
How "lend lease" work anyway?

Like, Ukrania is buying these tanks or are gift (doubtfull) or how that works?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tei posted:

which parts did they sever from the trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Had the US stayed out of the war the Japanese Empire would've overrun Soviet Siberia and opened up an eastern front somewhere in the Urals. Or is this hypothetical that the US would've participated in WW2 but only in the Pacific, and ignored Europe?