Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone got a good formula for a picnic ham? Want to take my sweet time with it and really bail things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't have the Masterbuilt, but I have the Chargriller and I love it. Glad I got it over a pellet grill. I had an issue recently where it was taking a long time to get to temp, but pulling the inner hopper basket and emptying it out completely fixed the issue. I think a lot of small charcoal bunched up at the bottom and blocked airflow. Otherwise it has been excellent to me and I'd encourage everyone looking at a grill to check out a gravity grill.

I have a gas grill that I'm about to throw off my balcony; for some reason it doesn't really get hot (struggles to hit 400).

I have a MES30 (that currently has 2 pork butts in it, coincidentally) and so I was looking at may even just a relatively simple charcoal grill.

Really just need something I can get good and hot for a good sear, but if a gravity thingy is a better buy than a standard piece of metal to put briquettes in then, well, I'm listening.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Check your burners for blockage or corrosion. Also make sure you light the burners one at a time. A gas grill should hit 550 or 600 no problem unless its very windy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ZombieCrew posted:

Check your burners for blockage or corrosion. Also make sure you light the burners one at a time. A gas grill should hit 550 or 600 no problem unless its very windy.

Yeah. It's only a year or two old and the burners look fine to me.

The flames seem real small, even on max.

My dad was thinking maybe a bad regulator but I don't know why it would have gone bad so soon.

I could try lighting it up again one at a time to see if anything changes I suppose.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zarin posted:

Yeah. It's only a year or two old and the burners look fine to me.

The flames seem real small, even on max.

My dad was thinking maybe a bad regulator but I don't know why it would have gone bad so soon.

I could try lighting it up again one at a time to see if anything changes I suppose.

Could be the safety valve on the tank. If you connect the tank to the grills gas hose and turn the knob on the tank too quickly, it will activate and reduce the flow.

Try turning the valve on the tank closed, disconnectthe tank from the hose, leave it off for one minute. Then reconnect the gas hose and slowly turn the valve to fully open.

Now try the burners and see if they’re working better.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone got a good formula for a picnic ham? Want to take my sweet time with it and really bail things

Last time I bought one by accident and just cooked it like a pork butt. It was really good! So that's a backup option.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

sinburger posted:

When I do briskets and pulled pork I wrap, maybe adding some tallow/lard as appropriate.

I don't think ribs benefit from a long rest as much as a big chunk of meat would, but I works just wrap them in butcher paper to keep them from drying out and see what happens.

I covered the ribs in tinfoil, let them sit for 15 minutes, then I put them in 170 degree oven for 45 minutes. Normally I just slice them and eat, but I had people coming over for dinner and was trying to keep them warm. It did the trick, but I can see how leaving them in there for more than an hour would start to dry them out.

These ribs came out great though!

Two racks of baby backs. Lawry’s, pepper, rub. Basted one with regular BBQ sauce and the other with a mustard BBQ sauce. Spritzed dry spots with apple cider vinegar/water every hour until done.

Smoked on WSM with Kingsford briquettes and a few chunks of pecan wood at 275 degrees. No wrap. They were done at after 5 hours.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

nwin posted:

Could be the safety valve on the tank. If you connect the tank to the grills gas hose and turn the knob on the tank too quickly, it will activate and reduce the flow.

Try turning the valve on the tank closed, disconnectthe tank from the hose, leave it off for one minute. Then reconnect the gas hose and slowly turn the valve to fully open.

Now try the burners and see if they’re working better.

Well then! That seemed to do the trick:

I had no idea the tank had such a safety on it! I suspect the tanks my dad had that I grew up using had no such thing haha.

Bonus thread content: a pair of 9.5 lb pork butts that have been in since 10pm last night; I'm guessing they'll be ready to pull and rest around 3 or 4pm:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Charcoal question:

Well, now that my gas grill seems to be behaving, I still wish it was hotter for quicker sears.

I'm not sure I want to get too deep into the charcoal rabbit hole, but maybe! Is there any reason I can't put some briquettes in a 17" cast iron pan (using the gas grill as the enclosure/shroud), then putting some grates or a pan over that to see how I like it before buying something specifically for it?

The only thing I could think of is that the airflow might be wrong or something and it'd be a bad test.

I used to do all my outdoor cooking over an open fire pit, but since selling that home and moving into an apartment I've had to make some concessions :(

The real answer is I just need to get back into a house again - whether that's buying or renting

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

Charcoal question:

Well, now that my gas grill seems to be behaving, I still wish it was hotter for quicker sears.

I'm not sure I want to get too deep into the charcoal rabbit hole, but maybe! Is there any reason I can't put some briquettes in a 17" cast iron pan (using the gas grill as the enclosure/shroud), then putting some grates or a pan over that to see how I like it before buying something specifically for it?

The only thing I could think of is that the airflow might be wrong or something and it'd be a bad test.

I used to do all my outdoor cooking over an open fire pit, but since selling that home and moving into an apartment I've had to make some concessions :(

The real answer is I just need to get back into a house again - whether that's buying or renting

If you’re just searing one steak at a time or something, you can get a big charcoal chimney and just stick your cast iron on top of that when it’s got red-hot coals in it. I did that a few times when I was renting and still building up my outdoor cooking gear collection, and it works really well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lawnie posted:

If you’re just searing one steak at a time or something, you can get a big charcoal chimney and just stick your cast iron on top of that when it’s got red-hot coals in it. I did that a few times when I was renting and still building up my outdoor cooking gear collection, and it works really well.

Usually when I'm going to the effort, I'm cooking for 4-6 adults and a kid or two; might not be a bad idea just to try it out though!

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
grilling again today, doing most of the same stuff I did the first time but got some pork neck bones on sale and thawed out a whole turkey breast i've had for a while too. i basically just let the wal mart meat sales guide what I'm gonna cook today. which means I have two tritips to grill lol. they were 50% off!!!!

I also have a picnic roast I was thinking about grilling but it might be too thick really. maybe I'll just cut it in half or fourths and do it that way? kinda just want to get it cooked and I got the grill goin' so gently caress it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lawnie posted:

Depending on what you're going for, you don't even need the pan. Put a rack over the top of the chimney and you can get a really great sear on the steak.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Update: just confirmed with the landlord that charcoal is perfectly fine.

Guess I'll start trawling FB Marketplace, Craigslist, or some buy-nothing groups to see if I can't find something to dip my toes into the water coals and see how I like it.

. . . I'm deeply afraid this ends with me buying that $1200 Weber monstrosity Ace had on display (some Komodo/Green Egg analogue), or something else equally silly :v:

Somehow I think I'd keep my MES30 for awhile just because of how hilariously simple long overnight cooks are now that I feel I'm starting to get the hang of using it.

Definitely gonna start paying more attention to the charcoal/gravity posts in this thread, that's for sure.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fwiw that Weber Kamado is… actually really good. (It was a 40th birthday splurge present for myself.). Sips charcoal like a Kamado but doesn’t weigh 900 pounds and won’t break if you look at it wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I smoked the meat I had curing for like three weeks, looks like despite that it didn't want to penetrate all the way to the center. Cut thin slices and made bacon. Not that this was pork belly, leaner cut.

Turned out well though my fried eggs failed, broke both yolks so not as over easy as I wanted.

(sriracha & jalapenos)

I dunno if this might be something like canadian bacon. At any rate it tastes like bacon and the 2.5% instead of th 3% I tried this winter was better, 3% is too salty. And I like this cut, more meat less fat, so much fast on the last one.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I smoked the meat I had curing for like three weeks, looks like despite that it didn't want to penetrate all the way to the center. Cut thin slices and made bacon. Not that this was pork belly, leaner cut.

Turned out well though my fried eggs failed, broke both yolks so not as over easy as I wanted.

(sriracha & jalapenos)

I dunno if this might be something like canadian bacon. At any rate it tastes like bacon and the 2.5% instead of th 3% I tried this winter was better, 3% is too salty. And I like this cut, more meat less fat, so much fast on the last one.

Fancy meats with eggs in the morning are always good. Did you need to hit it with high heat to get some crunch?

The product sold as "Canadian bacon" in the US is different from "peameal bacon" sold in Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peameal_bacon. It's quite good.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 21, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tend to fry on setting 7 of 9 so I guess that's kinda high, I do like them crunchy. What I got here seems to be also called "back bacon":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_bacon

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went from no grill to a wifi / automatic kamado so I don't know anything. Bought some Royal Oak charcoal lump and cherry wood chunks and already had some great results just grilling at 550 last night. Anyone have some killer 'set it and forget it' recipe for smoked chicken thighs that would be 3 hours or less?The kamado will take care of the temp maintenance and my phone will let me know when it is ready, but I'd love a go-to thing I can start when I'm wrapping up work.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I went from no grill to a wifi / automatic kamado so I don't know anything. Bought some Royal Oak charcoal lump and cherry wood chunks and already had some great results just grilling at 550 last night. Anyone have some killer 'set it and forget it' recipe for smoked chicken thighs that would be 3 hours or less?The kamado will take care of the temp maintenance and my phone will let me know when it is ready, but I'd love a go-to thing I can start when I'm wrapping up work.

Chicken thighs cook pretty fast, I smoke them at 225 and it takes about 90 minutes.

I just found this recipe and I've already made it three times this month. I just can't seem to get it spicy enough though.

https://youtu.be/Ju7OBp9yNXA

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I do them a bit hotter to crisp up the skin a little, 350-400 or so. I go by temp, but maybe 45 minutes?

Season with your favorite rub, salt/pepper/garlic, or lemon pepper. Toss in your favorite wing sauce after a brief rest.

You will get a range of responses, and they'll all be right because it is honestly impossible to mess up thighs or drumsticks

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I loved the taste of my first batch but I definitely burned the skin while waiting for internal temp to come up. Ran at 550 but I stole that from a breast recipe

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
We talkin bone in or boneless? I typically grill boneless around ~500 and smoke bone in if I ever get them. I more often get thigh quarters instead and smoke them.

Experiment a bunch. High indirect heat I found is always the answer with smoking chicken. Also, take dark meat above 165 or it’ll look raw or have a raw texture. I typically aim for 175.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, bone-in. I also didn't have the deflector bits put in below. Going to take a lot of experimenting but at least it was actually edible and tasted good (sans the burned bits)!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had my first grill where I think it all went right! Did two hours mostly at 225 with the chicken higher over one of the ceramic deflectors. I cut back on charcoal and the cherry wood went under for a cleaner smoke. I’ve got a soapstone coming for veggies and fish, but until then fitting an awkward cast iron pan in there. I just put veggies in with ~30 mins left lower down over the coals and they cooked nicely, then boosted to the low 300s for the last few internal degrees.

Hoping to try something with a good hunk of meat this weekend!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 1, 2023

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I'm going to smoke a brisket flat for the first time this weekend. I was looking at the NYTimes and they suggested this, which I had never seen on any other smoked brisket guide:

"Create a platform for cooking the brisket by cutting a flat piece of cardboard the size and shape of the brisket. (There’s no need to make it any larger; the brisket will shrink considerably during cooking.) Wrap the cardboard template in 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Using an ice pick, a metal skewer or other sharp implement, poke holes in the foil-covered cardboard at 1-inch intervals. The idea is to create a perforated platform for the brisket. Set the brisket flat on the foil-covered cardboard, lean side down. (This prevents the lean bottom of the brisket flat from drying out and burning, while the holes still let in the smoke.)"

Is this superfluous or would actually help prevent the brisket from drying out? Also, do you keep a constant flow of hickory wood chips during the whole course of the process? Because of the longer smoke time, it won't overwhelm the meat? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, is it worthwhile to salt the meat and leave it over night uncovered in the fridge and letting it get up to room temp the day off cook before putting it in the smoker?

Ramms+ein fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 10, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Good luck on the brisket flat! How big is it?

I would not do that NYT instruction at all. You’re going to end up with a pale, sad, zero bark side. The solution to dried out/burned spots is spritzing with water. You’re flat should also cook faster and be done way before that is much of a concern. I’d bet your sharp corners are the only thing that might need a little spritz.

The dry brining overnight is personal preference. I like it, and we always did it at the joint I worked at, some of the top places in Texas do, but some of the other top places do not. Aim for 1.5-2% weight of salt to meat depending on how salty you like it. Less salt if you plan on serving with BBQ sauce IMO.

I think with it being just the lean flat, and it being your first time, it’s good insurance, and I’d recommend it. If you really get into smoking, and get your technique down, experiment with it from there IMO.

Edit: I would wrap it in plastic/bag it, not leave it uncovered though. It’s going to get plenty of time to dry out in the smoker.

Make sure to let us know how it turns out!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2023

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

NyTimes: loving LMAO at this bullshit you don't need.

Only add smoke for the first 4 hours or so if you are adding chips. (IE: electric/propane smoker)
The rest is slow and low without additional smoke.

Salting/dry brining overnight: YES. This is a good idea.

Resting to room temperature before cooking: Old Wives Tale. Same is true for doing it for a steak.
Just throw it in the cooker once the smoker is at temp.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Echoing toplitzin with a bit more detail on how I get things started. My steps look like this:
1. Trim and season to dry brine overnight
2. Get the brisket out the next morning while starting the smoker (WSM so it takes 30+ minutes total)
3. Put brisket on once up to temp.

I can only assume the NYT article was suggesting a heat deflector for when you somehow only have direct grilling options. It's still wild to me though.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

Doom Rooster posted:

Good luck on the brisket flat! How big is it?

I would not do that NYT instruction at all. You’re going to end up with a pale, sad, zero bark side. The solution to dried out/burned spots is spritzing with water. You’re flat should also cook faster and be done way before that is much of a concern. I’d bet your sharp corners are the only thing that might need a little spritz.

The dry brining overnight is personal preference. I like it, and we always did it at the joint I worked at, some of the top places in Texas do, but some of the other top places do not. Aim for 1.5-2% weight of salt to meat depending on how salty you like it. Less salt if you plan on serving with BBQ sauce IMO.

I think with it being just the lean flat, and it being your first time, it’s good insurance, and I’d recommend it. If you really get into smoking, and get your technique down, experiment with it from there IMO.

Edit: I would wrap it in plastic/bag it, not leave it uncovered though. It’s going to get plenty of time to dry out in the smoker.

Make sure to let us know how it turns out!

Thanks for your advice! I was planning on getting a whole brisket from Costco and breaking it down myself, but my uncle insisted on grabbing. So he just got a ~7 lb flat from Wegman's hopefully there is some fat left and it's not too lean.

I have a charcoal smoker so does the only use smoke for first 4 hours still stand or is that only a recommendation for an electric/propane smoker?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ramms+ein posted:

Thanks for your advice! I was planning on getting a whole brisket from Costco and breaking it down myself, but my uncle insisted on grabbing. So he just got a ~7 lb flat from Wegman's hopefully there is some fat left and it's not too lean.

I have a charcoal smoker so does the only use smoke for first 4 hours still stand or is that only a recommendation for an electric/propane smoker?

Charcoal smoker is still only use smoke wood for the first 4 hours (though honestly with a charcoal smoker I just throw a few chunks in with the charcoal and call it good instead of micromanaging.)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Colleague of mine invited himself to my place for Friday, and then invited four more folks because I drat straight can't just run the smoker for one person, can I?

So I got cocky and told them to just choose what they want me to make, expecting something chill like the basic load of ribs, pulled pork and some wings on the side.

Sure enough, they go for ribs, but then tell me they want pork belly burnt ends.

I'll drop trou right here and now and say I haven't been able to nail pork burnt ends... ever. Despite all the things I've managed to master since I got my first smoker in 2008, I've never managed to churn out pork belly burnt ends that I was perfectly happy with.

So I figured I'd grab a magnificent slab of pork belly today and do my very best. That plan went right out the window after I ran through five Stores without finding what I was looking for (on the company dime, no less), so now have a bunch of pre-cut pork belly slabs that are entirely too thin for my plans, but hell, I'll try to make the best of it.

(by cheating every inch of the way)

Decided to cook out all the trimmings for a metric ton of hog fat, I'll figure out a use for it my tomorrow, I'm sure

Guests are coming at 4pm, I'm planning on clocking out at 1pm, so six hours for the ribs wouldn't have been an issue, but I forgot that I have to conduct a class from 9 to 12, so I'll probably have to run a fabricated excuse or two to take a break to heat up the smoker and load it up with my ribs and cheated burnt ends.

Will post pics of my success and/or shame tomorrow. I'm somewhat certain that my guests will be happy with the overall package even if I gently caress up the burnt ends because Germans are very easy to please when it comes to slow cooked things.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh, my entire apartment smells like an industrial grease-reclaimer if anyone was wondering

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I had no idea the Masterbuilt gravity app worked over the internet and not just on my local network. Much easier to remotely monitor it so my SIL can pull off the pork shoulder when done.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Maybe just dont nail the burnt ends. Then maybe people wont invite themselves over? I dont know if weve met. I'm Oscar. Oscar the Grouch.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m assuming the self-invited parties will be bringing litres of bier to compensate the pitmaster for their time.

Tbh I’d be into a chopped brisket or burnt end doner kebab.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Update:

Loaded up the smoker with 7 racks of ribs and close to 2 pounds of cubed pork belly

Struggled a bit with the temp in the first couple of hours because on the one hand, I foolishly disregarded that removing all the insulation from my smoker (to prep it for transportation in 2 weeks for my birthday) would require more fuel for a given target temp, and on the other hand it turns out that having the entire smoker full of wet protein means you essentially have a giant layered heat sink. But hey, took a bit of correction to get the temp to a steady 105°C / 225°F, but I eventually got there.

About 3 hours left on the smoke, was a bit worried about the pork belly bits not turning out properly due to the comparatively low temperature.

Decided to pull the pork belly bits about an hour later to cheat them through in the oven.

Sent them into the oven with half a stick of butter, some homemade BBQ sauce, and a shitton of the hog fat I rendered out from all the trimmings yesterday

60 minutes to go. The ribs didn't need any extra consideration (as is customary), threw the pork belly bits back on the smoker after 2 hours of "crutching" them.
(Also snuck a couple of Thuringian bratwurst in there for good measure)

Ribs: wonderful

Pork belly burnt ends: not as crispy on the outside as I would have hoped, but perfect in consistency and taste

Guests: satisfied

tl;dr: Did not nail the burnt ends, did not gently caress them up either :3:
There's nothing like having guests on your couch with the meat sweats, furiously proclaiming they can't eat anymore, but then still eyeballing the fourth serving you slam onto the table

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:3: gently caress you too buddy

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Looks awesome! What smoker are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ZombieCrew posted:

Looks awesome! What smoker are you using?

It's a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel that I run with coconut-shell briquettes and the occasional serving of beech charcoal and wood chips.

poo poo-insulation, but stupid capacity for its small footprint