Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All I wanted was EDF with extra-dimensional dinosaurs and this is the poo poo we got instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it just absolutely kills the atmosphere. The intro actually had me kinda hyped with that one shield bot holding off literally hundreds of raptors, but in practice you only see a couple dozen at a time and it's all just a dumb in-universe exercise anyway. And each time you're kinda getting into the swing of dino-shooting, the game will suddenly grind to a halt and demands you play a round of Worse Overwatch instead.

You just know somebody pitched it to management as a hot new mix between horde shooter and hero shooter that would totally occupy a new niche. Instead it seems we get a game that's just bad at both genres.

That's why I like Dino Stalker on PS2, it does fall out of the whole "You're in the past shooting dinosaurs" idea pretty early, but every twist just makes it even dumber and it is consistently just a lightgun game where you fight dinosaurs, no matter what actually happens in the plot. Also it has a hilarious ending.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Jesus Christ, Exoprimal was one of the most 'we gave a 12-yo from 1995 340M$ to make a game' premises I'd heard in a while and it's shooting itself in the foot that quickly? You're supposed to have the director influencing things quietly in the background like Left 4 Dead not calling out DEPLOYING ADDITIONAL WAVES OF DILOPHOSAURUS

The plot is remarkably dumb and absolutely torpedoes itself from the outset. The basic premise seems solid enough: Sometime in 2043 dimensional tears started opening up all over the place vomiting out dinosaurs, leading to humans building cool power suits to fight them. So far, so good. Lots of potential for good dumb fun and nice setpieces right there.

But then you start the game and it turns out as the player you're not engaging with any of that. Instead you're being sent to a lone island that houses the super AI that humanity relies on to coordinate their defense and development of new suits. Said AI then repeatedly teleports you to a specific time and place to engage in wargames against a controlled opposition of dinosaurs, so it can use the gathered combat data to develop better power suits. And that is all you do, over and over. You start a a round, go to a specified place on the map, the AI spawns in a bunch of dinos, you kill them, rinse repeat like six times per round.

And it's just so completely limp. You're not protecting anything from anyone, none of the battles matter aside from keeping the AI happy. Part of the plot is about the AI clearly going rouge and needing to be destroyed at some point, but who gives a poo poo about that when you could be fighting dinosaurs for real. They completely kneecapped any sort of atmosphere in order to justify the PvP aspect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here's hoping they axe that and make a mode that's just a co-op horde shooter like how Fortnite has a no-build mode. I cannot understand why you would structure a game like this. It's some Back 4 Blood energy (Those characters are bland and boring as gently caress)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dino Stalker's explanation is that you are in cyberspace because the dinosaurs were moved there as a techno-ark to save them from the meteor which is a pretty rad variation.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Why do the dinosaurs always have to end up someplace because of a bad guy. Why can't the plot twist be that the reason velociraptors started showing up to kick your rear end was because the velociraptors invented time travel and decided "this guy right here, this guy fuckin sucks, lets go kick their rear end"

I want a T-Rex in a lab coat and glasses giving the scientist speech about how something can't possibly work, while a Triceratops in a business suit says they dont give a poo poo, makeit work.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

bawk posted:

Why do the dinosaurs always have to end up someplace because of a bad guy. Why can't the plot twist be that the reason velociraptors started showing up to kick your rear end was because the velociraptors invented time travel and decided "this guy right here, this guy fuckin sucks, lets go kick their rear end"

I want a T-Rex in a lab coat and glasses giving the scientist speech about how something can't possibly work, while a Triceratops in a business suit says they dont give a poo poo, makeit work.

Please start a kickstarter for a game where I play a time-traveling velociraptor going to the future to kill Hitler.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

bawk posted:

Ah a Rick and Morty enjoyer.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dienes posted:

Please start a kickstarter for a game where I play a time-traveling velociraptor going to the future to kill Hitler.

In my mind the dinosaurs still all die to a meteor because their time travel is imperfect and can only let them time travel over specifically petty reasons, I was thinking something like a level where they invade a pseudo-jurassic-park-place where the killer dinosaurs all look like lizards (because those are actually haywire killbots), until the real time-traveling birdlike dinosaurs show up to kill all those fake dinosaurs and the roboticists pretending to be geneticists for smearing their likeness

They can still kill Hitler though, every game should have a level where you do that at least once. Hell, it's a time travel game, why not do it a couple times.

Vic posted:

Ah a Rick and Morty enjoyer.

this person too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bawk posted:

Dienes posted:

Also start another kickstarter to make VelociPastor into a game that I can play

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh and one of the dinos you fight is the pachycephalosaurus, leading to at least a couple streamers I've checked out ignorantly give them a nickname that's, well, an ethnic slur from the UK for people from Pakistan.

I mean I don't think it's anyone's fault here but oof.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

It was already a pretty big disappointment that nothing from 1 carried over.

This literally put me off playing three. If you are going to make a big "integrated" game respect my loving time.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I was always disappointed that Injustice never included John Constantine in it's roster. He's got more of a chance to beat Superman than, say Harley Quinn

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Exoprimal also seems so poorly timed, all these big multiplayer service games have been flopping and disappearing because the market’s clearly full and they cost money to maintain. It’s like the MMO rush but more expensive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I read some of the Injustice comics, and they were entertaining for a while in an extremely dumb way. Like, you start with a kinda interesting concept in Global Authoritarian Superman, but then it instantly devolves into endless repetition of people getting their hands on Hulk Juice, so normal folks like Commissioner Gordon can punch him in the face. About as stupid as you'd expect from a comic series designed around a fighting videogame putting every character on an equal footing, but they also milked it for way longer than I would've guessed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Maxwell Lord posted:

Exoprimal also seems so poorly timed, all these big multiplayer service games have been flopping and disappearing because the market’s clearly full and they cost money to maintain. It’s like the MMO rush but more expensive.

And since it adds this PVP thing, now they have to worry about balancing all the armor abilities to work against human players as well as dinos, which as we all know is very easy to do.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
juggling my first run of DS3 with another run of bloodborne because i've never managed to finish it and i think the one thing that really drags these games down is that i suck poo poo at them and I constantly give up because they're hard and i'm bad. I'm contemplating throwing a first run of DS2 in the mix just because why not

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DS2 is significantly easier than DS3 and the second half of Bloodborne, at least.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

DS2 is significantly easier than DS3 and the second half of Bloodborne, at least.

It is if you know what you're doing, but I feel like it's maybe the least friendly to non-souls geeks of all of the souls games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not sure if the DS games get progressively easier or if I just got better at playing them but I think it might be a combination of the two? DS1 is loving brutal, fairly linear and gives you zero idea of what to do or where to go. I played them in this order: 1, 3, 2, Elden Ring and if I were to list them by degree of difficulty it would probably be that same order. DS2 has the thing I like where you can actually permanently clear a level and ER allows you to just gently caress off and go anywhere if you find yourself getting owned in a certain area, which I also appreciate and think it makes the game more fun and less irritating.

All of them have "skill check" areas that seem designed to find out if you've really mastered the game's mechanics and, if you haven't, you'll find yourself roadblocked until you do. The main thing that makes them all especially hard for me is trying to figure out NPC questlines without a wiki because none of the games do a great job of guiding you through those. There's poo poo in these games that would never even cross your mind to try, let alone revisit (NPC in a well from an earlier level) but only if you did X and Y first.

I like to play blind on my first run but certain stuff in the entire series is never gonna get done without looking poo poo up ahead of time and I don't think that's great game design really.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS2 has a reputation for being too easy, but that's only true by degrees. The real trick is that once you've played one Souls game you've hopefully internalized all of From's design tricks, which they shamelessly reuse all over the place. (Though frankly Elden Ring really started to wear out some of them; there's drat near always a gargoyle imp waiting around every blind corner in catacombs. Or one hanging on the wall. Or one pretending to be a statue. Or one baiting you in with ranged attacks. Or...)

Re: dino games. Cleary we need a video game adaptation of Dinosaurs Attack!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Murdoch posted:

Dino Crisis Remake. Not sure why Capcom is sleeping on this but IIRC the originals weren't great sellers

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

DS2 has a reputation for being too easy, but that's only true by degrees. The real trick is that once you've played one Souls game you've hopefully internalized all of From's design tricks, which they shamelessly reuse all over the place. (Though frankly Elden Ring really started to wear out some of them; there's drat near always a gargoyle imp waiting around every blind corner in catacombs. Or one hanging on the wall. Or one pretending to be a statue. Or one baiting you in with ranged attacks. Or...)

Little Things Dragging Elden Ring Down: those fuckin stone imps

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dino Crisis Remake. Not sure why Capcom is sleeping on this but IIRC the originals weren't great sellers

They didn't even reuse the name for their dino shooting game Exoprimal that released yesterday, so it's fair to say that Capcom might not even remember that Dino Crisis existed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh wow, I had no idea Exoprimal was a big Capcom game. I saw all the complaints and assumed it was some small studio release.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea Exoprimal was a big Capcom game. I saw all the complaints and assumed it was some small studio release.

Big might be an exaggeration, since it released directly to gamepass.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's fair, I just looked at it on steam and saw it was their usual $60 price.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philippe posted:

Little Things Dragging Elden Ring Down: those fuckin stone imps

When I saw those little bastards my first reaction was "oh no, it's those horrible little fuckers from the undead settlement" as one fell from the ceiling and shanked me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

This has been my dream since RE2make. They have the damned engine, give me my dinosaur game!

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

juggling my first run of DS3 with another run of bloodborne because i've never managed to finish it and i think the one thing that really drags these games down is that i suck poo poo at them and I constantly give up because they're hard and i'm bad. I'm contemplating throwing a first run of DS2 in the mix just because why not

Bloodborne: Always, always dodge into the enemy and to their right (your left), not away. Or into the enemy and to the side that they're holding the weapon on for those few encounters where it's in and to the left.

We Got Us A Bread has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Going through Bowser's Fury for the first time, it's kind of aggravating - it's a decent enough add-on to 3D World, except that I don't like the titular main gimmick. You're running around an open world solving challenges and puzzles to get doodads, as normal for a Mario game. But then, every so often a giant Bowser will start attacking for a while. It looks cool, all stormy with a kaiju sized Bowser walking around in the distance. But it's too disruptive because you generally have to just stop what you're doing and hang around in a place that's protected from his attacks, and it also eventually leads to annoying boss battles. I dunno what exactly the game would be without its central conceit, but I think it'd be better.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nuebot posted:

When I saw those little bastards my first reaction was "oh no, it's those horrible little fuckers from the undead settlement" as one fell from the ceiling and shanked me.

It's a good comparison, because like those guys the imps scale well throughout the game. They're a threat in Limgrave and they're a threat in the Plateau.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Bloodborne: Always, always dodge into the enemy and to their right (your left), not away. Or into the enemy and to the side that they're holding the weapon on for those few encounters where it's in and to the left.

This and "slowly walk around the enemy, hack at their ankles" have been like, key parts of the soulsborne franchise since Demon's Souls. So it always confuses me when someone on youtube gets mad trying to point out that one game or another is bad because the AI is easily fooled by slowly circling around them or that the game is cheap because every time you roll backwards you get caught by the swing of the sword.

Philippe posted:

It's a good comparison, because like those guys the imps scale well throughout the game. They're a threat in Limgrave and they're a threat in the Plateau.

Those dungeon boss rooms are legit more threatening when its one cat statue and like two imps, than when it's just two cat statues.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I think they have the same skeletons and AI. They also both suck bigtime.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm just trying Bloodborne for the first time, so these are helpful tips. I think I may have absorbed a lot of cultural information because I heard Father Gascoigne was a real early skill check but I beat him first time by being aggressive and using the parry shot a lot. Getting my arse absolutely kicked in Cathedral Ward and Old Yharnam now though and have no real clue what I'm supposed to do.

Anyway, the thing dragging it down for me is I'm getting loads of items and stuff, but still only have the saw cleaver that I'm into and I'm not sure whether to save upgrades for later weapons or what. I'm aware that there's a wealth of info online but even that seems confusing when I don't really have the hang of any of that though. Still enjoying it way more than Dark Souls though, which I bounced off at least three times.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bogmonster posted:

I'm just trying Bloodborne for the first time, so these are helpful tips. I think I may have absorbed a lot of cultural information because I heard Father Gascoigne was a real early skill check but I beat him first time by being aggressive and using the parry shot a lot. Getting my arse absolutely kicked in Cathedral Ward and Old Yharnam now though and have no real clue what I'm supposed to do.

Anyway, the thing dragging it down for me is I'm getting loads of items and stuff, but still only have the saw cleaver that I'm into and I'm not sure whether to save upgrades for later weapons or what. I'm aware that there's a wealth of info online but even that seems confusing when I don't really have the hang of any of that though. Still enjoying it way more than Dark Souls though, which I bounced off at least three times.

You will have resources to upgrade about 2-3 weapons to near max lvl (+9/+10) on a normal playthrough.

Upgrading up to +6 is easy if you want to experiment but materials required for +7 and up are significantly more rare.

Saw Cleaver is one of the best weapons, if little vanilla. You could keep upgrading that while stashing rest of your materials until you find something that looks cool.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I sort of gave up my first go a decent chunk further just using my starting weapon upgraded as much as possible so I think you're ok for now. I'm currently playing around with the cleaver and kirkhammer and contemplating which one of those to throw upgrade mats into first. Kirkhammer is pretty fun but not having the gun for parrying when its in its big heavy form is a big downside for me since this is the first souls game that parrying has ever actually clicked with me. I also got pretty lost around about where you got upto and without spoiling too much there's at least one or two things you can find from there that are big upgrades that you can miss easily so take your time and look around.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Things dragging down Elden ring,my computer can’t handle it.

That starting area? Choppy as gently caress 6 fps,then i’d turn around to face the wall and it would jump to 30,i’ll wait for a discount until i can find a way to mod out the fog.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The thing about Bloodborne is that any weapon can be viable for the entire game, and the stinginess with upgrade materials (past +6 at least) is to make you use the same weapon and get familiar with its moveset.

It also leads to a general lack of build variety (do you want to do an Arcane build? gently caress you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lol Bloodtinge