Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, I can use my flashlight to see if any chickens have missed the coop door closing time while I'm standing on my porch.

Oh, poo poo.... I'm soooo white...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
genuinely surprised sunscreen is so low

would have figured the predictive capacity of "using sunscreen means you're worried about skin cancer which means you're much more likely to be melanin deficient" would be higher

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Anyway I think you could make even stronger predictions, such as "owns a Confederate battle flag or a swastika flag 97%" or "owns a sauna 99.9%" or "owns McNaughton painting prints 100%"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

genuinely surprised sunscreen is so low

would have figured the predictive capacity of "using sunscreen means you're worried about skin cancer which means you're much more likely to be melanin deficient" would be higher

Here's the thing: white men are dumb as poo poo and refuse to use sunscreen even though it's obviously a good idea.

Source: I'm a white man who's actually more pink than white right now.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume the percentage is the predictive capability of the ownership of the product rather than absolute ownership percentages because that is a very weird set of products to cap out the "owns an [x]" statistics.

It also suggests the maximum predictive capability of ownership trends is not very high.

What do you mean by "predictive capability"? What does dishwasher owning having a predictive capability of 61 % regarding whiteness mean?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IYKK posted:

What do you mean by "predictive capability"? What does dishwasher owning having a predictive capability of 61 % regarding whiteness mean?

I'm assuming that it's a measure of how well you can predict a person's race if you have that information versus how well you can do without it, but I haven't seen any specific quantity denoted as predictive capability.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

BonHair posted:

Here's the thing: white men are dumb as poo poo and refuse to use sunscreen even though it's obviously a good idea.

Source: I'm a white man who's actually more pink than white right now.

That chart says nothing about how many people use sunscreen or how often they use it. It only describes the predictive power of the usage. Is ~60% predictivity high or low? Dunno, but to me all it suggests is that white people use sunscreen more than non-white people, but non-white people also use sunscreen. Keep in mind that not all 'white' people are lily white redheads and blondes but also Mediterranean complexions, and not all 'non-white' people look like they came directly from equatorial Africa.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

IYKK posted:

Think of a parking lot with lots of cars and you had to look at the bumper stickers on all of them and guess if the owner was an rear end in a top hat or a nice person. Bumper stickers that make it easy to guess right ("TRUMP 2024") have high predictive capability, ones that lead toward random results ("I hate Mondays") are low.

So if you saw 100 MAGA bumper stickers and guessed correctly that they all were owned by assholes, then the MAGA bumper sticker would have 100% predictiveness. If with "Legalize weed" sticker you thought all 100 owners were nice people but turns out that half of them are assholes, then it would only count for 50%.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I'm assuming that it's a measure of how well you can predict a person's race if you have that information versus how well you can do without it, but I haven't seen any specific quantity denoted as predictive capability.

Neither have I, so I'm a bit confused by people telling me that "It's predictive capability, stupid".

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Think of a parking lot with lots of cars and you had to look at the bumper stickers on all of them and guess if the owner was an rear end in a top hat or a nice person. Bumper stickers that make it easy to guess right ("TRUMP 2024") have high predictive capability, ones that lead toward random results ("I hate Mondays") are low.

So if you saw 100 MAGA bumper stickers and guessed correctly that they all were owned by assholes, then the MAGA bumper sticker would have 100% predictiveness. If with "Legalize weed" sticker you thought all 100 owners were nice people but turns out that half of them are assholes, then it would only count for 50%.

If this is how it works, and given that 70% of the US is white, wouldn't no information at all be 70% predictive? Then since these are all below 70%, they actually slightly mean the person is question is less likely to be white if they have them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IYKK posted:

Neither have I, so I'm a bit confused by people telling me that "It's predictive capability, stupid".

If the chart is of products, the ownership of which correlates with race, then certain items will be more or less correlated, and thus more or less predictive, than others. And this would be independent of percentage ownership in the population or within races.

As noted, owning a confederate flag is probably a very low percentage of the population, regardless of race, but I would wager it is extremely predictive of being white and would thus score a high predictive capability. But that would not mean that say, 90% of the population, or 90% of white people own a confederate flag, but if you own one you're 90% more likely to be white than black, for example.

The fact that all of the percentages are very close together, suggests to me that they are probably limited to a range of common consumer products and thus, being common consumer products, there is probably not a very strong racial divergence between owning them, and so the range of possible predictive capability is quite compressed, presumably topping out at around 60%, however that is calculated.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jul 15, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
"owns a smoke alarm"

yeah man i own something that's legally mandated in every dwelling. you could say i'm pretty white

while the chart is stupid and i think its predictive power is negligible, it may also be saying some sad things about landlords and racism

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Xenoborg posted:

If this is how it works, and given that 70% of the US is white, wouldn't no information at all be 70% predictive? Then since these are all below 70%, they actually slightly mean the person is question is less likely to be white if they have them?

According to Wikipeida, the USA is 59.3% white as of 2021, not counting Hispanic white people, or 61.6% white including Hispanic according to the 2020 census. That these numbers are all slightly above 60% tells me that it presumably means "X% of people who [own a dishwasher or whatever] are white", and the slight excess above that 59.3% (or whatever the number was at the time of those surveys) is explained by actual slight racial correlation.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Nenonen posted:

Phone flash can be handy in some situations, but if I have to do anything at all outdoors in dark especially when it rains or is cold, I'm not going to gently caress around with a several hundred buckaroo phone that barely illuminates a few feet ahead when I have more convenient, cheaper tools for that.

Headlamps or gtfo (I am very white)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

It has nothing to do with how many people are white, or how many people are assholes. It only tells you how well you can predict from one aspect that a person is [something].

To continue the car analogy, in a parking lot with 100 cars there's one car with a sticker that says "Hitler was unironically right 1488 卐" and 99 cars with bumper stickers like "support trans rights" and "black lives matter". The one car with the nazi sticker has 100% predictibilitivinessihood of belonging to an rear end in a top hat despite being 1% of the cars.

Think of it as a coin toss is perhaps a better explanation. If in the year of 1992 you toss a coin on if a pet owner is white, there's a 62% chance that you will get the right answer and 38% chance that you get it wrong. How many white people own pets, how many non-white people own pets, or how many white people there are vs. non-white people is irrelevant to how predictable it is that a pet owner is white. (I mean by themself, combined together you get... this.)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nenonen posted:

It has nothing to do with how many people are white, or how many people are assholes. It only tells you how well you can predict from one aspect that a person is [something].

To continue the car analogy, in a parking lot with 100 cars there's one car with a sticker that says "Hitler was unironically right 1488 卐" and 99 cars with bumper stickers like "support trans rights" and "black lives matter". The one car with the nazi sticker has 100% predictibilitivinessihood of belonging to an rear end in a top hat despite being 1% of the cars.

Think of it as a coin toss is perhaps a better explanation. If in the year of 1992 you toss a coin on if a pet owner is white, there's a 62% chance that you will get the right answer and 38% chance that you get it wrong. How many white people own pets, how many non-white people own pets, or how many white people there are vs. non-white people is irrelevant to how predictable it is that a pet owner is white. (I mean by themself, combined together you get... this.)

There's probably some sort of foundational error this touches, but this is how statistics is used to describe reality. Because of the influence of mathematics on statistics, statisticians pursue the precision of mathematical definitions, but because statistics deals specifically with inference from incomplete data, predictability is a precise way to describe vague concepts.

What is an apple? Is it the round edible fruit of the tree Malus domestica, often coming in some combination of red, yellow or green? Hard to say. I'd recognize a blue apple as an apple, I'd recognize an inedible apple as an apple, I would recognize something that is absolutely an apple that somehow magically grew from a lemon tree as definitely an apple, and if someone grew an apple into a cube I would recognize it as an apple. A precise statistician may rather do a survey and determine that an object that matched all the characteristics of "being round", "edible", "fruit of the Malus domestica", "red, yellow and/or green", would be "highly predictive" of being an apple, as a way to tell us more about the intrinsic qualities of being an apple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL posted:

What is an apple? Is it the round edible fruit of the tree Malus domestica, often coming in some combination of red, yellow or green?

Granny smiths: not apples because their mother was Malus sylvestris

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Platystemon posted:

Granny smiths: not apples because their mother was Malus sylvestris

Good, granny smiths suck and don't deserve to be called apples

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Piell posted:

Good, granny smiths suck and don't deserve to be called apples

They're great baking apples, but yeah I won't eat them raw either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Granny smiths are the best of a bad bunch.

Walk into a random grocery store in America, and more often than not the best apple in the place is a granny smith.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't eaten an apple other than Honeycrisp in years, every place I shop has them. Baking's one thing, but you'd have to pay me to eat a Granny Smith on its own.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Honeycrisp quality control is poo poo, and the people responsible for the honeycrisp recognize this problem and kept a closer leash on SweeTango.

A good honeycrisp is better than a SweeTango though.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Jul 16, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is able to turn any topic to food chat: yep, 100% goon. :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's weird, I'll complain to no end about quality control for foods I like, but I've never noticed an issue with Honeycrisps. Blessed by fate in a uselessly specific niche, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taxonomy is a pathway to many discussions some consider to be unnatural.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's weird, I'll complain to no end about quality control for foods I like, but I've never noticed an issue with Honeycrisps. Blessed by fate in a uselessly specific niche, I guess.

The problem with Honeycrisps is that they're fragile and get beat up in transit. Cosmic Crisp are just as good (less of that mild tartness if that's what you like about Honeycrisps though) and are more hardy, so there's less bruising and other issues by the time they get to the store shelf.

I also like Ambrosia but they're not available very often at my local stores.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
granny smith are the best apples actually, especially raw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

granny smith are the best apples actually, especially raw
              |  /
              |/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Empire, but only in the threeish months where they're freshly picked out of New York. Growing up near one of those little commercial apple farms where you can pick your own spoiled me. Crisp, juicy, and a very mild but strongly apple flavor. I really hope they're being grown out of somewhere else in other seasons and I've just never seen them in stores, because that would greatly expand the times where I can have good apples.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Nenonen posted:

If that's how the percentage works, then the baseline rate does matter. If 62% of people are white, and 62% of pet owners are white, then pet ownership can't help you predict whether the person is white.

If 62% of people are white, and 60% of dishwasher owners are white, then knowing someone owns a dishwasher means they're less likely to be white.

If you want to combine multiple facts about a person to calculate how likely they are to be white, you need to do the math based on how far each rate is from 62%. If you learn they have a kite, which is 60% white, and you learn they have a hose, which is 60% white, then your prediction of their whiteness chance goes lower and lower.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Demographics aren't built on a single thing. Think of it like a huge panel of toggles labeled "has a dog", "downloaded ocremix", "ever had an ip in x location", "visited mcdonalds", "phone screen resolution", etc. You look in the recipe book for how to make a single white 30s and it tells you which switches to flip to yes/no/etc.

You apply those filters to your databases including the ones you buy/rent from other companies, and it spits out a scarily accurate list if you have enough points of data

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Fuji apples only, you dumb fucks!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is having opinions on apples white, or very white?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

steinrokkan posted:

I think you’re going to find low confidence in terms of ‘cares about the quality of fruit they eat’ and race

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Red Prince.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
how do you like them apples?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

steinrokkan posted:

Ask this guy applerankings.com (as seen on thefplus)

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Quote not edit

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Olanphonia posted:

Ask this guy applerankings.com (as seen on thefplus)

"Opal apples: A tasty unwiped anus. 82/100"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

"Opal apples: A tasty unwiped anus. 82/100"

:wink: