Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's like there was a messy divorce and the UK got the good covers and the US got use of the baru name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...and I really liked it! I was complaining a few months ago about how the modern noirish first-person urban fantasy has a problem with snarky, overly modern dialog and internal monolog. I was glad to find this was not the case with All-in. Really liked the main character as well, which was a surprise because I tend to loathe the protagonists in these types of books.

Mild premise spoilers for anyone who wants to go in completely blind:Great choice to take the protagonist from literally the LA noir era, and really nice job with his voice in that regard, and mixing modern and quaint ways of talking. I like that you trust you audience to understand certain character arcs and motivations without spelling them out, and I like the world-building, I love anything that has real historical figures laid on top of its secret magic vampire underworld.

Questions to the author and full spoilers: I loved Eddy's Henry Hill arc, and how he didn't even realize he was spiraling at the end. At first I was more interested in the modern story so I was like "make with the vampire siring already" but by halfway through I was equally invested in both, so having them both payoff at the end of the book worked very well. What's your theory of vampire evil? Eddy's kind of a hard-luck dirtbag, but he's a good guy who tries to do right by people. All the other vamps are just straight up bad guys. So is Eddy good because he was a somewhat bad guy before, or is that something that comes with age, or a secret third thing you want to save for the book?

Is Felix a jötunn?

Who's that guy in your amazon author pfp and does he have any hot racing tips?

I liked this quite a bit more than Jim Butcher and taste is relative but this is at least as good as that series so I'd definitely recommend the book to fans of that type of urban fantasy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 15, 2023

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

zoux posted:

...and I really liked it! I was complaining a few months ago about how the modern noirish first-person urban fantasy has a problem with snarky, overly modern dialog and internal monolog. I was glad to find this was not the case with All-in. Really liked the main character as well, which was a surprise because I tend to loathe the protagonists in these types of books.

Hah! I recall seeing that comment and thinking "ah hell. They're not going to like my book if that's the case. Eddy's a total wise rear end." Glad you found it to your taste after all.

zoux posted:

Questions to the author and full spoilers:. What's your theory of vampire evil? Eddy's kind of a hard-luck dirtbag, but he's a good guy who tries to do right by people. All the other vamps are just straight up bad guys. So is Eddy good because he was a somewhat bad guy before, or is that something that comes with age, or a secret third thing you want to save for the book?

It's a third thing.

zoux posted:

Is Felix a jötunn?
Holy poo poo! I didn't think anyone would pick up on that.

zoux posted:

I liked this quite a bit more than Jim Butcher and taste is relative but this is at least as good as that series so I'd definitely recommend the book to fans of that type of urban fantasy.

Honestly thank you! This sort of recommendation is so, so gratifying. Especially since Butcher's work is one of my inspirations, albeit in a "come on. I can do better than this stuff!" sort of way.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

I read that essay a few months ago, and I've been turning it over in my mind ever since. Near as I can tell, it was one of the last pieces Jonathan McCalmont wrote before he left online sff criticism entirely, though he did briefly return to his blog almost a year ago to pen a memorial for Maureen Kincaid Speller, longtime senior reviews editor of Strange Horizons.
I have been away from this scene for a few years so your post is how I learned Maureen died. drat. :( She was a wonderful person.

Marshal Radisic posted:

What I keep coming back to in the piece is McCalmont's central assertion that the relaxation of genre boundaries that kicked into high gear in the 2000s was not due to the success of the New Weird as a movement, which in McCalmont's estimation was aiming for something more ambitious but ultimately never got a chance to cohere.
McCalmont always had interesting things to say and I was sad he stopped writing but surely in hindsight it's easy to see the New Weird wasn't going to impact anything as a movement because a vanishingly tiny number of people ever even knew the term. Most readers didn't read science fiction and fantasy and most genre readers didn't read genre criticism. I say this as someone who also was immersed in that critical scene to a degree, albeit less so than McCalmont, and it seemed more important than it was because by 2008 or so a bunch of impressive-seeming institutions were controlled by this tiny community: fanzines like Vector, the BSFA and its awards, online zines like Strange Horizons, fun blogs like Niall Harrison's Vector Editors, and so on. These things felt important and vital and there were passionate arguments. Then online culture moved from blogs to Twitter and suddenly the follower counts rubbed it in your face that no one was reading many of these authors, much less the essays by the critics who celebrated them. I know subcultures are only cool when they are tiny but I think I genuinely thought more people were "in the scene" than there were because of the asymmetries of blogging and such.

Today it feels like even Mieville, who seemed like such a giant, is being forgotten. I guess it doesn't help that he was canceled to some degree and he hasn't published much in a decade. But I don't know. In the 90s there were all these people that still revered Clarke and Heinlein and Niven even though it was decades since their good work. Maybe attention spans are shorter. Or maybe I'm still confused about popular vs. critical darlings and Scalzi is today's Niven.

Anyway, it's funny reading those excerpts and seeing how aggressively M John Harrison was fighting for his artistic independence against evil labels. Recently a friend read Perdido Street Station for the first time and asked how he could read something similar. If only there was one of these evil marketing categories available! Especially since we somehow have ChatGPT but no flying cars Amazon still can't recommend a book you'll like. But I guess it worked out because I got to deploy my Comic Book Guy-style knowledge of the genre and felt like a valuable friend since I recommended him a book (Senlin Ascends) and he loved it. It never occurred to me to mention "New Weird" to him or even use it myself to think about recommendations, though looking back I did come up with Steph Swainston as one of the suggestions.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

It's a third thing.

It seemed like it was because most vampires start vampire life at the rough end of a shovel party.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Danhenge posted:

Cleverness.

Buncha sharp cookies 'round here. BTW, can I steal that phrase? I'm stealing that phrase.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lex Talionis posted:

Though looking back I did come up with Steph Swainston as one of the suggestions.

Apropos of nothing, but I am reorganizing my library and came across the Castle Omnibus and goddamn I remember loving that book, and never hearing anyone say a word about it. I wonder if it holds up to a reread.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I am reorganizing my library and came across the Castle Omnibus and goddamn I remember loving that book, and never hearing anyone say a word about it. I wonder if it holds up to a reread.
Were there more than three books? I remember the first two being decent and the third one basically going nowhere.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Foreigner (#1) by CJ Cherryh - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JHXPDW/

The Pariah (Covenant of Steel #1) by Anthony Ryan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PV49R1G/

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5L7H71/

Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy #1) by Jacqueline Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DLCAY/

Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CQUL4U/

Tales of Pirx the Pilot by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077FC55Y/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Were there more than three books? I remember the first two being decent and the third one basically going nowhere.

The omnibus has 1-3, and then there’s a prequel called Above the Snowline which I picked up but never finished. And apparently one more called Fair Rebel that came out fairly recently.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Buncha sharp cookies 'round here. BTW, can I steal that phrase? I'm stealing that phrase.

I kind of assumed you were referring to this : https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Shovelhead

Although I guess the phrasing might be my own misremembering? You're welcome to it either way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, just finished Fine Structure by qntm. That went places. Thought it was a bunch of unconnected short stories at first.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Groke posted:

Well, just finished Fine Structure by qntm. That went places. Thought it was a bunch of unconnected short stories at first.

It’s so good and weird, oh my god what a trip. Between Fine Structure, There Is No Antimemetics Division, and their excellent short fiction, QNTM is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. Anyone who wants Big Ideas SF from someone who can also write, pick up their stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Danhenge posted:

I kind of assumed you were referring to this : https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Shovelhead

Although I guess the phrasing might be my own misremembering? You're welcome to it either way.

Oh, wild. No, I never actually got into VTM other than a cursory read of the sourcebooks back when it first came out. Mostly for the kickin' rad pen and ink spot illustrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Battle Mage Farmer

I stuck this series on my list after reading your post, and recently did a free trial of Kindle Unlimited. Pretty fun series, I like how quick of a read they are, only took me about 2 weeks to get through the series so far. Pretty excited for the 6th one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really liked em. It was a nice change of pace from the usual "oh I'm in a new world, let me become a god" books that usually come out. Great companion piece to "beware of chicken".

I really loved the last book where he got back from the other world and was literally destroying the world around him by just existing because he had way too much mana. Sort of a walking nuclear explosion in a way.

Made an interesting mental image.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thatsgoodweb/status/1680277550843527170

Ah yes the Uplift War

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I know nothing about this book but I was immediately imagining a pitch meeting where someone goes "ok so what if we take the cyber dolphin from Johnny Mnemonic and mash it up with Planet of the Apes, but also Star Wars... wait where are you going"

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Not horny enough for David Brin, back to the drawing board

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kestral posted:

It’s so good and weird, oh my god what a trip. Between Fine Structure, There Is No Antimemetics Division, and their excellent short fiction, QNTM is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. Anyone who wants Big Ideas SF from someone who can also write, pick up their stuff.

Yeah, the idea density was pretty high. Some of the chapters set at various points in the future would have been whole books in the hands of some other authors.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok baru 1 down, on to 2 hell yeah

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Good post. I liked a lot of McCalmont's stuff. He was often pretty acerbic but the quality was there.

Agreed about that whole blogging scene. You're probably right that ultimately the numbers game meant its influence was going to fade (or was illusory to begin with) but I'd also put that decline to the increased intertwining of marketing, reviews and similar that accompanied twitter becoming the 'main' space, which brought with it, or maybe just foregrounded, a different and more 'positive' critical culture. Could also be a British vs American critic thing too, you can look at the reaction to the Clarke awards 'Shadow Jury' in 2017/18; a lot deeper and more outright critical than many other critics and that seemed to get a lot of "if you can't say anything nice..." pushback.

But yeah, just on numbers, in retrospect I guess it was unlikely that capital N New capital W Weird was ever going to be a tidal wave.

Lex Talionis posted:

But I guess it worked out because I got to deploy my Comic Book Guy-style knowledge of the genre and felt like a valuable friend since I recommended him a book (Senlin Ascends) and he loved it. It never occurred to me to mention "New Weird" to him or even use it myself to think about recommendations, though looking back I did come up with Steph Swainston as one of the suggestions.

That's cool! Tbh it's the obvious comparison but Senlin Ascends reminded me of Gormenghast, so obviously well before Mieville, Swainston and co. Feels like it takes the pressure off a little when you don't have to situate it in a larger genre history but also don't have to just fall back on a broad "it's fantasy but not knights and dragons".

Marshal Radisic posted:

As it happens, there was a recent piece by Moreau Vazh which caused a stir by looking at the recent attempts to make "cozy horror" a thing and drawing similar conclusions McCalmont did. I don't think his argument entirely holds up for the decades between the emergence of the New Wave and the turn of the millennium, but his discussion of the evolution of genre culture from the year 2000 to the present complements and expands McCalmont's argument.

Agreed on the patchiness of some of his timeline but it's a good article. His pointing out of the defensiveness and wagon-circling behaviours of at least a bit of the Very Online SFF Authorship in the years after the whole puppies thing is spot on.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I don't believe it's been mentioned here yet, but the new short story Detonation Boulevard by Alastair Reynolds, is available to read here
https://www.tor.com/2023/07/12/detonation-boulevard-alastair-reynolds/
(yes, it's a Sisters of Mercy reference)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sebmojo posted:

Ok baru 1 down, on to 2 hell yeah

How the gently caress is "hell yeah" your response to the end of Baru 1 lmao

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Hell yeah wasn't a response to the end of Baru 1, but the fact that they are starting Baru 2. Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm gonna "Hell yeah" when 4 comes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fermun posted:

Hell yeah wasn't a response to the end of Baru 1, but the fact that they are starting Baru 2. Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm gonna "Hell yeah" when 4 comes.

It's like an all u can eat treachery buffet and her plate is loaded

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Leng posted:

I've now moved on to The Burning God and I don't immediately hate anything so far, so yay?

Have now finished The Burning God.

It's better written at the sentence and scene level but the character work remains lacking and it's kind of a structural mess. The best written portion is Part I, which actually did build decently and looked like we were going to get some semblance of actual character development for Rin and get some series level payoffs for the Trifecta. Then it all basically falls apart from there.

Rin continues to flip back and forth more often than a seesaw. Kitay continues to be ineffectual at checking Rin's worst impulses and has no agency of his own. Nezha continues to have no clear and consistent motivation of his own.

(Note I haven't read the side story The Drowning Faith okay I have now read this and it's less a side story and more 15 pages of what looks like deleted first draft Nezha POVs and his motivations still make no sense because none of the character work necessary to make those convincing happened.)

The plot is...random isn't really the right word for it seeing as how it's basically copy pasted from recent history but the weird uncanny valley of not being historical fiction and not truly an original fantasy really magnifies all the flaws. It's like someone got a puzzle, took the pieces they liked and left the other 80% in the box, and then tried to build it by mashing similar-looking but definitely not the right pieces together and papering over the rest with DIY cardboard cutouts. You can tell what they were trying to do but the final picture just makes no sense.

The entirety of Part II is incredibly :wtf: to the point where it seems like it was a plot contrivance to a) shoehorn in an analogy to a historical event for ??? reasons and b) get out of a corner caused by introducing the original fantasy elements because Rin literally had no way of getting rid of the Trifecta on her own.

Part III was straight up nonsensical. The climax fight scene of the battle at Arlong was an rear end pull. Lampshading it did not make it any better. The final scene and the epilogue could've worked if the character work was there, but it wasn't and so everything fell flat. Every time "I love/d him/her" came up made me :rolleyes: and go "Really? When did that happen?"

Is it super bad? No, I guess, in that I'm not hopping mad like I was after DNFing Babel at the end of Ch 1. I genuinely do not get the hype though. I hope I enjoy The Grace of Kings more.

I have also started A Day of Fallen Night and so far it's been like four world building prologues in a row.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Oh, wild. No, I never actually got into VTM other than a cursory read of the sourcebooks back when it first came out. Mostly for the kickin' rad pen and ink spot illustrations.

I never really played myself, but this was described to me as a teen by another teen and it stuck with me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fermun posted:

Yeah I know I was just jokin around

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTSL3843/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pradmer posted:

The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTSL3843/

Haha I went to find this on Amazon UK and the blurb was obviously AI generated. It started with 'Certainly!' and then continued with text. I just looked again seconds later and it's been replaced with a row of hashtags. Somebody's cheaping out on their ebook descriptions.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Haha I went to find this on Amazon UK and the blurb was obviously AI generated. It started with 'Certainly!' and then continued with text. I just looked again seconds later and it's been replaced with a row of hashtags. Somebody's cheaping out on their ebook descriptions.

It’s (e: likely) out of copyright (at least in the US) so this is probably just someone trying to make a quick buck, not surprising.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kalman posted:

It’s (e: likely) out of copyright (at least in the US) so this is probably just someone trying to make a quick buck, not surprising.

Yeah, it's on Gutenberg. I prefer his shorts but it's good old stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's like there was a messy divorce and the UK got the good covers and the US got use of the baru name.

What are you guys taking about? The US covers at least for books 2 and 3 are way better than UK. UK cover is just some generic bronze mask with badly photoshopped fire or water or waves. The US covers are actual illustrations.
The first isn’t my favourite cause it makes Barus face look too light but I guess it’s supposed to be made of porcelain or something.

Also I watched Never Let Me Go. One advantage of a movie is a book can’t make me cry but put the right score over that same story and it’s the waterworks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that us cover is pretty good.

Still baffled by the name change, it's worse in every way.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I really liked em. It was a nice change of pace from the usual "oh I'm in a new world, let me become a god" books that usually come out. Great companion piece to "beware of chicken".

I really loved the last book where he got back from the other world and was literally destroying the world around him by just existing because he had way too much mana. Sort of a walking nuclear explosion in a way.

Made an interesting mental image.

Do you have any thoughts on Dungeon Crawler Carl? I always see it recommended along with those.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sebmojo posted:

It's like an all u can eat treachery buffet and her plate is loaded
yeah if you were waiting for the traitor to drop then it was totally a "hell yeah"

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Do you have any thoughts on Dungeon Crawler Carl? I always see it recommended along with those.
personally I like them less than the two Dominion of Blades books that we will never get more sequels to because he's finishing DCC first but I cannot argue that Matt Dinniman Good (not like, an incredible writer, but way above the usual KU sea of garbage level)

Dominion of Blades was the only actually good execution of the "stuck in a vr mmo" premise I've ever read, since by the end of the first book you have both a coherent reason why and actual stakes for pain and death

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's one I keep seeing stuff about but I haven't managed to read any of them. I guess they kinda have to be good to be popular. I think there's even a screenplay being workshopped.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

buffalo all day posted:

This book is incredibly good!! Not sure why he doesn’t get nominated for hugo/nebulas as his last three books have been increasingly straight SF or Fantasy but he won the noble prize after putting out this book! I won’t spoil what’s SF about it (teenagers going to a boarding school in England where something strange is definitely going on), read it!
Kazuo Ishiguro is an amazing author and he's never going to win a scifi award writing near-future science fiction because nothing explodes and nobody gets murdered, despite probably being the best living near future scifi author.

It's like cradle in that it's generally competently written non stop action and it takes zero effort to read. There's enough jokes in the litrpg stat dumps that it's not unreadable. That makes it the best litrpg series on KU by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah if you were waiting for the traitor to drop then it was totally a "hell yeah"

"The" traitor? I think every character in that series is a traitor to someone/something and it is glorious.