Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Even ignoring those worst bits, everything I've seen from Frontier has been absolutely dreadful, like they tried to recreate a modern Call of Duty campaign in fallout.

Now, that's not true at all

a bunch of it is also just straight up stolen from Wolfenstein: The New Order

But seriously though it's very very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The frontier sucks lol

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Even ignoring those worst bits, everything I've seen from Frontier has been absolutely dreadful, like they tried to recreate a modern Call of Duty campaign in fallout.

The map is apparently pretty cool, but every single main quest seems... pretty awful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's an excellent, massive modded story campaign with several completely separate faction storylines, driveable vehicles, and custom weird wasteland flags that let you do things like "fight" the antagonist by beating him at caravan. The full version (which had to be taken down because of IP controversies) is still available here.

lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Of course Discendo Vox, the poster who ran a Media Literacy thread despite having zero critical reading skills, likes The Frontier.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Please do not play The Frontier.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Of course Discendo Vox, the poster who ran a Media Literacy thread despite having zero critical reading skills, likes The Frontier.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

it's a loving joke chill out

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
cant believe they didnt bring up the unity store lizard people who are addicted to drugs and will have sex for mentats

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 16, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

watho posted:

it's a loving joke chill out

It's this, y'all, christ. I was the source of the current thread name, remember?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

no

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Hattie Masters posted:

Now, that's not true at all

a bunch of it is also just straight up stolen from Wolfenstein: The New Order

But seriously though it's very very bad

Come on now, be fair.

They also stole a lot from Dead Space. Even that asteroid shooting section that NOBODY LIKED.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Also all the casual misogyny in it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The frontier almost works as a parody of the Fallout modding scene.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The Frontier had an impressive worldspace, interesting enemies, downright magic when it came to the game's engine (cars is nice), and some theoretically-interesting ideas. Shame what they did with all of them, and that they felt the need to package them with Giant Tiddy Mod.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am from Portland so I was interested in seeing how well they recreated the area. I remember getting through the intro and thinking it sucked, but then my next mission was to go on patrol. A good opportunity to see the area, right? Nnnnnnope.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I still can't believe famous nazi Richard Spencer was the lead developer on the Frontier. Fuckedd up....

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

I still can't believe famous nazi Richard Spencer was the lead developer on the Frontier. Fuckedd up....

yikes, etc

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It was just a guy also named Richard Spencer, not the Nazi Richard Spencer. It's a joke, jest, etc.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

oh really

watho
Aug 2, 2013

nothing gets by this thread

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

had to look up my own posts for my own frontier experience writeup because i couldnt remember a lot besides the ncr main questline being a technical marvel and a comedically up it's own rear end shitshow of writing alongside the world map/non-main quest stuff having an absurd amount of unique stuff that really highlighted how the thing definitely had a ton of folks working on individual bits in the map for massive tonal and quality whiplash
also way, way too many horror gimmick quests, though some are also really wild from a technical side too like one that pulls the 'geometry constantly subtly changing in the map until it starts just outright shifting the map as a whole so you look behind you and the rooms are entirely different' poo poo

but also, to steal from one of those trip report posts:

edit:
remembering why i came into the thread in the first place and it was to ask the same question that the other guy asked before it got derailed, any cool mods in the past year or two that are worth a look or a big upgrade in overall feel for the game? i've seen folks have been goin nuts with animation stuff but was curious about anythin else

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Has anyone tried the New Vegas Multiplayer mod? Kinda seems too good to be true.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
if you didn't realize, Nexus halves your download speed if you adblock

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Still worth adblocking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJ1hLeYIys&t=40s

Dramatic Inertia - 3rd Person Movement Overhaul

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

This YouTube channel has some crazy stuff. Here’s the FO4 weapon mod system and an in game map editor https://youtu.be/ui-5Geztlfw

https://youtu.be/0J2QwGzn3pg

Man, the editor could be so good if someone were to mod in the settlements system. NV has real time settler but it hasn’t been updated since 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Psychor has done some really neat stuff, but they usually end up just a smidge too jank for me.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Just got New Vegas installed on my SteamDeck. What mods would you recommend for playing NV for the first time in a long time?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

hadji murad posted:

Just got New Vegas installed on my SteamDeck. What mods would you recommend for playing NV for the first time in a long time?

Viva New Vegas guide but you gotta reinterpret the instructions for Linux of course.

Though you might want to skip the Overhaul section if you want it to stay close to the original experience.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

hadji murad posted:

There's an excellent, massive modded story mission with lots of well-written and acted characters and well-crafted player choices- though it was controversial for some other reasons. It's available here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Psychor has done some really neat stuff, but they usually end up just a smidge too jank for me.

Yeah, I tried it earlier and it did not look all that great.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Less Fat Luke posted:

Has anyone tried the New Vegas Multiplayer mod? Kinda seems too good to be true.
Okay self replying, shockingly this multiplayer mod actually works! It's kinda annoying as it uses Discord to track users so you need that installed but like.. I'm still kind of shocked the thing is functional. NPCs, bad guys, creatures all stayed in sync between my partner and I, we could explore together. The annoyances we found were around kinda wanting a co-op experience a la Borderlands and such where quests could be shared; you *can* do quests together but you basically have to set them up the same and make sure you pick the same branch of quest otherwise that's when things get out of sync (though nothing breaks).

I think it's more conducive to a drop-in/out persistent server with a bunch of friends playing NV together and doing their own thing but banding together for certain parts.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

Viva New Vegas guide but you gotta reinterpret the instructions for Linux of course.

Though you might want to skip the Overhaul section if you want it to stay close to the original experience.

I wanted to put viva on my deck but man that’s a lot of work, and I am very dumb

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

RandolphCarter posted:

I wanted to put viva on my deck but man that’s a lot of work, and I am very dumb

Eh I did it with no Linux knowledge and a bit of help from goons, though I had experience ewith doing it for PC too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What do you all think of the plausibility of this? Oblivion rumored to be remastered in UE5, but still running on (from the sound of it) Gamebryo logic?

quote:

First, there is the "Altar" project, which is the remaster/remake of Oblivion (the discussion for it being a full remake are still ongoing). It is done currently using a pairing system, so it means that the remaster is running using both an Unreal Engine 5 project, and the old Oblivion one. For instance, new graphics are rendered in the UE5 project, but most of the gameplay/physics/etc is still done in Oblivion. It should be released end of next year/early 25 depending mostly on if it's a remake or remaster. It is mostly done in paris, but Blackshamrock also helps the studio for the art.

From Reddit, but supposedly the poster was verified by the mods to be working for the developer in question, Virtuous Games (big porting/support studio, that’s behind the MGS3 remake). The thread has since been deleted by OP.

Does it pass the smell test? It seemed like an unlikely or bad idea to me, but I don’t really know the technical reality.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 31, 2023

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
It's not the craziest thing in the world, the Halo remakes do something similar for instance - the actual game logic runs on the original engine, and there's a new renderer on top of it to actually handle the graphics
If they really were still using the original engine underneath it all though it'd look shiny but still play incredibly janky - which is part of the charm imo but probably not something you want advertised for a flagship remaster that'd maybe be serving as a testbed for adopting UE5 properly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's a game that I'm pretty sure will bring any CPU to it's knees in some situations. When I played it last year, the performance was a rollercoaster, even with DXVK, and capped to 60.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I think the the GTA trilogy remaster did something similar where they replaced the original RenderWare renderer with Unreal Engine 5's.

So sure, maybe it's technically feasible to rip out Gamebryo, while keeping Bethesda's own spaghetti code, and replacing with UE5. But it sounds like a nightmarish chimera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Presumably they'd be able to tweak the Gamebryo backend to get it more stable, like all the engine modifications modders have made to NV.