Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I've noticed that a lot of big Eternal fans tend to be fans of like, Devil May Cry, and honestly, I think Eternal would have been better suited as a new IP and marketed as the kind of game it is, a first person spectacle fighter. Doom 3 is the same way, people wanted Doom and got a survival horror. Both are not at all what I'm looking for out of a Doom game, but there's an audience for them, and they can be more enjoyable when you don't feel like you've been bait and switched.

I'm curious to see if iD continues in that mold for their next game, if they do something different, or if they go back to something closer to 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Arivia posted:

I'm curious to see if iD continues in that mold for their next game, if they do something different, or if they go back to something closer to 2016.

Ironically the Quake remake will appear as an immersive RPG set in an open world, just as it was originally advertised in Commander Keen:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The final boss of doom eternal being a dude from Boston was pretty weird

They had a tf2 crossover?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Doomguy vs Jerma

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I sure hope doomguy wins

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The conclusion of DLC 2's final boss is literally Jerma fighting JermaSus.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Wonder what ID is working on now. Pretty sure they said they were shelving DOOM for a bit (and it's been over 3 years!)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, what's Blood West like these days? I played the demo ages back and dug the haunted west aesthetic, didn't dug how punishing it was, especially wrt its finite resources. Admittedly this was from before it even entered Early Access, so I assume much has changed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom 2016 is a pretty good game, especially in the first half, but it's nothing like the original Doom games aside from the general aesthetic and recognizable elements. Probably even less like them than Eternal is because at least Eternal is fast-paced. I don't think a new Doom game attempting it could ever do the original justice simply because the ingredients that made that game so good just won't translate to modern game design, not to mention the fact that the originals are still alive and well and the quality of the community content is probably impossible to surpass. id making the best community stuff semi-official by including it with the re-releases is about the best case scenario I think. If there's another AAA Doom entry, I'd rather it play with the formula again than be a retread of any of the prior entries.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wonder what ID is working on now. Pretty sure they said they were shelving DOOM for a bit (and it's been over 3 years!)

It’s fairly widely known that they’re working on a Quake game. Nothings been announced and there are no details on the form it will take but there have been plenty of tiny leaks and hints.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AirRaid posted:

It’s fairly widely known that they’re working on a Quake game. Nothings been announced and there are no details on the form it will take but there have been plenty of tiny leaks and hints.
Weren't most of those "tiny leaks and hints" people misinterpreting the tea-leaves on the new Machinegames episode for the Night Dive remaster?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I thought the Quake stuff was more a case of “well why wouldn’t they do this after Doom?” than anything particularly concrete?

I think id are in a slightly tricky spot. I don’t think (or even want) every game they make to play like Eternal from here, but at the same time there’s definitely going to be a sense of walking back on that gameplay loop - particularly from the folk who vocally really loved that poo poo.

I think the way around it is to double down on the atmosphere for a Quake reboot, and id’s approach to gameplay will take care of itself from there. Go to town on the gothic horror atmosphere, keep a degree of fast movement and let us fire nails into eldritch-rear end monstrosities and it’ll be just fine. I’d like them to open up the exploration and level design just a touch more, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I think id are in a slightly tricky spot. I don’t think (or even want) every game they make to play like Eternal from here, but at the same time there’s definitely going to be a sense of walking back on that gameplay loop - particularly from the folk who vocally really loved that poo poo.
I remember them saying on one of those director commentary playthrough videos that their next game will be as different from Eternal as Eternal was from 2016.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The Kins posted:

Weren't most of those "tiny leaks and hints" people misinterpreting the tea-leaves on the new Machinegames episode for the Night Dive remaster?

I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure there have been other rumblings about a new Quake project since the release of that., so I don't think they all were, but who knows, really. I do remember one thing was actual job listings at actual Id Software talking about a Quake project, but i can't remember the details of the one that mentioned it directly, and having googled it now there seems to have been several different times when media sites picked up that torch and ran a story with basically no substantial detail to go on.

Like i said, nothing announced but all the pointers seem to be towards a new Quake. And to be honest, giving Quake a reboot in a similar vein to Doom'16 would be a fairly safe move.

E: As an aside while googling I saw a thing about Nightdive staff and I didn't realise they had hired a whole bunch of guys out of the classic doom community, like Quasar and Kaiser. I used to hang and chat with those guys back in the day, cool to see their passion got them actual good jobs in the industry.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AirRaid posted:

E: As an aside while googling I saw a thing about Nightdive staff and I didn't realise they had hired a whole bunch of guys out of the classic doom community, like Quasar and Kaiser. I used to hang and chat with those guys back in the day, cool to see their passion got them actual good jobs in the industry.

They’ve been with Nightdive for quite a while; I know they both worked on the Strife release back in 2014.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

quake already has such an identity crisis that they could do basically anything with it and it would still be on-brand

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AirRaid posted:

david_a posted:

They’ve been with Nightdive for quite a while; I know they both worked on the Strife release back in 2014.
Kaiser and Quasar were bought in for Strife, since they reverse-engineered Strife for Chocolate Doom. They stuck around and formed the core of the remaster/KEX team, which is now staffed with a bunch of other Doom community members and veterans.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

repiv posted:

quake already has such an identity crisis that they could do basically anything with it and it would still be on-brand

Which should be to id’s benefit, really. There’s less scope for fans shouting “this isn’t a Quake game” like they do about Doom.

FPS Bloodborne with a nailgun would be fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bumhead posted:

It really would, which is why I'm afraid they'd go with the Quake 2/4 setting.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Going for the Strogg thing again seems like it'd be pretty tone deaf to the community. I feel like there's been a resurgence of appreciation for just how unique Quake 1 was, but mostly people seem to poo poo on the aesthetics of 2 and 4.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Hey, what's Blood West like these days? I played the demo ages back and dug the haunted west aesthetic, didn't dug how punishing it was, especially wrt its finite resources. Admittedly this was from before it even entered Early Access, so I assume much has changed.

Yeah, that's pretty much what Blood West is.

It's a punishing stealth game with a spooky western aesthetic.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I think the smart thing would be to string the two together in some way - like, start from something quake 2-like that gradually becomes more quake 1. There's value in both, and id doesn't necessarily need to throw either away.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Civvie puts up a SoF video and nobody posts it for 45 minutes? I'm shocked.

https://youtu.be/yS5gJIvD1Ds

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

it's commander keen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Baron von Eevl posted:

oh my god the iraq stuff

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I thought they scrapped Commander Keen because everyone poo poo on it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I thought they scrapped Commander Keen because everyone poo poo on it

oh is that what the pogo stick is for

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kinda disappointed he didn't show the throwing knives, those were just the coolest poo poo to kid me.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bumhead posted:

Which should be to id’s benefit, really. There’s less scope for fans shouting “this isn’t a Quake game” like they do about Doom.

You'd think so, but you might be unpleasantly surprised.

(Although, if not "less scope", then certainly "fewer fans".)

Bumhead posted:

(For example, this wouldn't work for me as a Quake-y thing.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah if there's ever a new Quake game, I'd hope they'd take the weird, dimension-hopping techno-eldritch Quake 1 over the straightforward "war with the Strogg" from Quake 2 & 4. I mean, I enjoyed them both, but I'd much prefer the former over the latter in 202X.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just get the Arcane Dimensions guys to make it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mordja posted:

Just get the Arcane Dimensions guys to make it

Doesn't seem to be going so well for WRATH, unfortunately.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah if there's ever a new Quake game, I'd hope they'd take the weird, dimension-hopping techno-eldritch Quake 1 over the straightforward "war with the Strogg" from Quake 2 & 4. I mean, I enjoyed them both, but I'd much prefer the former over the latter in 202X.

There's scope for both with the setting. Jumping through slipgates could drop you into Stroggified Earth, eldritch castles, demon infested Mars. They could go wild with it.

Just don't involve any of the writers from Eternal, please. That poo poo was embarrassing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Must admit I quite like the idea of the regression of technology and your arsenal.

Start out with traditional/futuristic weapons and the sci-fi, cosmic body horror stuff, then regress as the story develops to working your way through all the eldritch horror castles with a bloodied axe and some rusty nails. A proper descent into the depths.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its really weird the route they went with wrath, just deciding to only ever do three updates then jump to release. like there's a kind of industry meta of how early access for fps games work, and the fact they differed from it makes the game seem dead.

i dont know that the industry meta of early access is the best way to make a game, or the best for developers, or even customers, but its odd to choose to do early access and then have it work against you

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

There's scope for both with the setting. Jumping through slipgates could drop you into Stroggified Earth, eldritch castles, demon infested Mars. They could go wild with it.

Absolutely, I guess I’m just saying I hope they don’t do a Quake 2 where the war with the Strogg is the primary setting.

I can see a less ambitious project where it’s basically another Wolfenstein TNO/TNC except with Strogg instead of Nazis.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Doesn't seem to be going so well for WRATH, unfortunately.

Those are not the "arcane dimensions guys" though (which is a real nebulous group in any case).

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Bumhead posted:

Must admit I quite like the idea of the regression of technology and your arsenal.

Start out with traditional/futuristic weapons and the sci-fi, cosmic body horror stuff, then regress as the story develops to working your way through all the eldritch horror castles with a bloodied axe and some rusty nails. A proper descent into the depths.

This kind of gives me Painkiller vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I've noticed that a lot of big Eternal fans tend to be fans of like, Devil May Cry, and honestly, I think Eternal would have been better suited as a new IP and marketed as the kind of game it is, a first person spectacle fighter. Doom 3 is the same way, people wanted Doom and got a survival horror. Both are not at all what I'm looking for out of a Doom game, but there's an audience for them, and they can be more enjoyable when you don't feel like you've been bait and switched.

I'm a big DMC fan and tbh after playing Eternal the comparisons between the two kind of make sense on a surface level (both being series that are technical and challenging), but they play out dramatically differently in practice. DMC, at least DMC3 onwards, feels way more about player expression and handling situations the way you think is best, the whole sandbox of combat is very open and encourages experimentation. I found Eternal to be far, far more rigid than something like DMC, it's fast and frenetic in the same way, but it doesn't really have the same ability to clown around like you can in DMC.