Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"worldbuilding" is the mark of the trash writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Worldbuilding is cool if you actually then write something worth reading

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“I’m doing fine as a engineer” oh honey

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Worldbuilding is fine but if you want to go down that road you have to really commit and I don’t think many trash writers realize how much commitment that will take

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

teen witch posted:

“I’m doing fine as a engineer” oh honey...

...they won't even let ME do fine as an engineer!..

Is... is that the meme? Did I do it right?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah speaking as an engineer we don't exactly tend to be the type that makes a good writer.

Plenty of arrogance that would make you think you would be a good writer though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Plenty of people think that world building is just “there’s vampires” or “it’s in space” and never bother to walk down the avenues that branch off from that decision.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

like what if "there's vampires...in space"

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
That's just blindsight

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kazil posted:

Sounds like you’re pitching a sequel to Lifeforce, please let me donate to your gofundme.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Roblo posted:

Yeah speaking as an engineer we don't exactly tend to be the type that makes a good writer.

Plenty of arrogance that would make you think you would be a good writer though.

Yeah if you're an engineer who writes we get The Martian or xkcd.

But I repeat myself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Roblo posted:

Boy do I feel this

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I thought as an engineer you're supposed to be saddled with imposter syndrome, am I not doing that right too??

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Worldbuilding is the thing you take care of after you’ve come up with a cast of characters and an interesting story to tell with them. It’s the icing on the cake. Terrible fantasy and sci-fi writers just have a habit of making their cakes out of nothing but icing and then acting surprised when they aren’t hailed as the next Tolkien.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I often feel like the Culture series is better for its setting than its characters because I can't remember any of the characters but the setting is neat.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Philippe posted:

Yeah if you're an engineer who writes we get The Martian or xkcd.

But I repeat myself.
Andy Weir consulted with a bunch of NASA engineers etc when writing The Martian to make it as realistic as possible, not the same thing.

He also wrote The Egg.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You don't remember Zakalwe?

But yes, the characters in The Culture mostly exist to demonstrate what interesting dilemma Banks has come up with. The real character is the Culture itself, that's why the books jump in time so much. The unimportance of individuals is a recurring plot point – they are pawns, weapons to be used, pieces to be played in a game.

I think coming up with an interesting setting first is perfectly valid. That's the approach taken not just by Tolkien. Disco Elysium is a product of that approach.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

You don't remember Zakalwe?

But yes, the characters in The Culture mostly exist to demonstrate what interesting dilemma Banks has come up with. The real character is the Culture itself, that's why the books jump in time so much. The unimportance of individuals is a recurring plot point – they are pawns, weapons to be used, pieces to be played in a game.

I think coming up with an interesting setting first is perfectly valid. That's the approach taken not just by Tolkien. Disco Elysium is a product of that approach.

It's possible that is a character in one of the ones I didn't read. I started at Consider Phlebas, read The Player Of Games, then I think I got partway through Excession and gave up.

Mostly I came to the conclusion that I think I would prefer some sort of light romance novel written by someone who can write interesting and likeable people, but set in the same universe. The actual plots of the books were the worst bit.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is some light romance in Use of Weapons :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basically I think Chuck Tingle should write a Culture novel.

Or perhaps he does, perhaps all Chuck Tingle books take place in that setting. It would explain a lot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Lol

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Antigravitas posted:

There are also arts and crafts! Fun for everyone!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kazil posted:

How close to a star do they have to be before it starts affecting them, or does it need to be filtered through an atmosphere to be "sunlight"?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

kdrudy posted:

How close to a star do they have to be before it starts affecting them, or does it need to be filtered through an atmosphere to be "sunlight"?

Um, it's always nighttime in space, that's why the vampires are more dangerous

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bakeneko posted:

Worldbuilding is the thing you take care of after you’ve come up with a cast of characters and an interesting story to tell with them. It’s the icing on the cake. Terrible fantasy and sci-fi writers just have a habit of making their cakes out of nothing but icing and then acting surprised when they aren’t hailed as the next Tolkien.

Been working my way through the Tolkien Professor back catalog and there's a comment he makes offhand in the middle of his series on Ender's Game, that a hallmark of modern fiction (particularly sci-fi/fantasy) is a much heavier emphasis on character than on story. He says he enjoys good character work as much as the next guy but his first love is always a good story; and often these days, whether it's TV or movies or a novel, what you get is more character study than compelling story that you can retell or summarize without necessarily being invested in the particular characterizations you're given. Whereas in previous time periods, your sci-fi or fantasy story would be a story first and foremost, playing with the universe and its rules in a particular way, and characters are all but an afterthought.

I don't know how true that is (since among other issues I'm woefully under-read when it comes to the genres in question), or how setting (or worldbuilding) play into this—after all it's involved with story but it's hardly the same thing—but certainly it's true that LotR as one example is way less character-driven than it is story-driven or indeed setting-driven, but at the same time the setting was added incrementally as the story went on, accreting bit by bit as necessary (mostly by borrowing from his own premade library which is sure handy), but by no means planned out in advance as a detailed backdrop or lore compendium upon which to paint characters or even a particular story. He worked on the story first and let the characters and then the setting flow in turn from how it developed.

Again, these are all unformed thoughts that I'm trying to grapple with in real-time so I don't know how accurate any of it is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Skios posted:

https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/1680089192418750465

A Tweet so broke-brained that even the bluechecks getting filtered to the top by Elon's Twitter are calling OP a piece of poo poo for it.

Just a reminder that Nixon's DOJ went after Donald Trump for discriminating against Black tenants, the same era of DOJ that cooperated in the assassination of Fred Hampton and tried to get MLK to commit suicide through threatening letters.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Data Graham posted:

Been working my way through the Tolkien Professor back catalog and there's a comment he makes offhand in the middle of his series on Ender's Game, that a hallmark of modern fiction (particularly sci-fi/fantasy) is a much heavier emphasis on character than on story. He says he enjoys good character work as much as the next guy but his first love is always a good story; and often these days, whether it's TV or movies or a novel, what you get is more character study than compelling story that you can retell or summarize without necessarily being invested in the particular characterizations you're given. Whereas in previous time periods, your sci-fi or fantasy story would be a story first and foremost, playing with the universe and its rules in a particular way, and characters are all but an afterthought.

I don't know how true that is (since among other issues I'm woefully under-read when it comes to the genres in question), or how setting (or worldbuilding) play into this—after all it's involved with story but it's hardly the same thing—but certainly it's true that LotR as one example is way less character-driven than it is story-driven or indeed setting-driven, but at the same time the setting was added incrementally as the story went on, accreting bit by bit as necessary (mostly by borrowing from his own premade library which is sure handy), but by no means planned out in advance as a detailed backdrop or lore compendium upon which to paint characters or even a particular story. He worked on the story first and let the characters and then the setting flow in turn from how it developed.

Again, these are all unformed thoughts that I'm trying to grapple with in real-time so I don't know how accurate any of it is

Probably something that's different for everybody, but personally I'll forgive a mediocre story if it has great characters, but the greatest story possible would still suck if I didn't give a crap about the characters. The first one seems a lot more common than the second though, I can think of a bunch of weak stories with good characters, but every story with weak characters I've read has been bad as well. Closest thing I can think of is a story that was pretty mediocre by itself, but could have been made decent with interesting characters. Sadly they were barely one-dimensional.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kdrudy posted:

The vampiric aversion to sunlight (when it exists) should be understood as a spiritual condition, not a scientific one. So the answer is 'if it's the light of a star that supports an inhabited world it will be 'sunlight' and burn, otherwise it's fine'. Same as their lack of reflections.

If you're doing purely scifi vampires than you can do what you want. I'd say make it particular wavelengths that are dangerous.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
LotR is setting-driven, and it's one of the really quite few instances where it works because the setting is both novel for its time and described by someone who has a competent and practiced grip on the language he used to construct it. Whether you like Tolkien's writing or not, it is very lush, and in a way that makes easy to be invested in that setting, and constructed as such that it sort of doles the world out to you as the characters encounter it in a naturalistic way rather than giving dry infodumps the way a lot of fantasy fiction does. It's also a world that isn't out to impress you with how cool it is. There's a kind of coziness to it that is modeled on the author's real world proclivities and fondness for countryside quietude that is represented in miniature by the hobbit society that the books start in and that those characters carry with them. Basically everyone who followed Tolkien missed the forest for the trees and expanded on the fantastical magical elements when really what Tolkien focused on was the feel of things. That's why the trilogy really adapted well to movies (though not without the hands of a competent filmmaker.) I remember seeing the movies for the first time, having just read the books a few months before Fellowship came out and being shocked at just how well the environments I saw in my head were represented on screen.

A lot of writers now get so hung up on the minutiae of worldbuilding that they end up believing the world is much more interesting than it really is, but they lack the chops to invest it with feeling the way Tolkien did. (Not to say Tolkien didn't also do this, but he had the sense not to include what didn't advance the story he meant to tell.) If you like LotR, I suggest picking up the Gormenghast series, which actually predate LotR but have a similar degree of intimacy with the setting since they take place primarily in a giant dilapidated castle, although I'd say they're a lot more pessimistic than the LotR books. Pre-LotR fantasy is an interesting little spot to visit because it's free of LotR's influence.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

UV light is what hurts vampires. Naturally, as long as they're not starving, they've got a regeneration factor going on and thus a low level of exposure is tolerable but something like full exposure to it like with daylight will rapidly destroy them. Thus, a vampire on a spaceship would be perfectly fine unless they fly really close to a star and stand in front of a window. Also spacesuits would probably be really good at protecting them

There you go, now you've got everything you need to write Carmilla X: 3025 aka Space is the Sweetest Blood

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Probably something that's different for everybody, but personally I'll forgive a mediocre story if it has great characters, but the greatest story possible would still suck if I didn't give a crap about the characters. The first one seems a lot more common than the second though, I can think of a bunch of weak stories with good characters, but every story with weak characters I've read has been bad as well. Closest thing I can think of is a story that was pretty mediocre by itself, but could have been made decent with interesting characters. Sadly they were barely one-dimensional.

That's why I like the Croods movies, even if the first one isn't as funny as the second in jokes per minute or whatever I respect it because Grug has a great arc with a strong emotional punch towards the end, and most of the characters have consistency between the movies outside of Thunk not having much to do and the Grandma's backstory being retconned in the second movie. Also the second movie's final act is absolutely hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As an accompaniment to reading Lovecraft, I read "The Fortress Unvanquishable Save For Sacnoth" by Lord Dunsany and it's almost psychadelic in how it reads, everything just drifts from scene to scene and everything is very dreamlike and unfixed. It's a fun read, reminds me a lot of Caves of Qud actually. It's very much about the place but it's written in such a way that the place being described is tenebrous and built out of impressions and feelings.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Welleran_and_Other_Stories/The_Fortress_Unvanquishable,_Save_for_Sacnoth

If you need further encouragement, there is a dragon called "Wong Bongerok" which frankly is the ideal name for a dragon.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Jul 16, 2023

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I think if you’ve got a genuinely new and well thought-out concept for a world and you have the skill to deliver exposition in an engaging way you can definitely make it work. It’s just that a lot of less skilled and experienced authors attempt this and bite off more than they can chew, because they think just rattling off a bunch of details is enough.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I think if you’ve got a genuinely new and well thought-out concept for a world and you have the skill to deliver exposition in an engaging way you can definitely make it work. It’s just that a lot of less skilled and experienced authors attempt this and bite off more than they can chew, because they think just rattling off a bunch of details is enough.

Honestly the best case scenario for those authors is to get some mates together and let them be the characters, just be a TTRPG nerd

Sometimes this works out into a series too, like The Expanse, which has at least one or two decent characters

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lmao

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Honestly the best case scenario for those authors is to get some mates together and let them be the characters, just be a TTRPG nerd

Sometimes this works out into a series too, like The Expanse, which has at least one or two decent characters

It's usually the reverse, people take their RPs and try to spin it out into a narrative and it doesn't work for some reason

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Vampires In Space. They like chocolate chip cookies, and have to stop an invasion. Lots of fun.
https://www.amazon.com/McLendons-Sy...ps%2C150&sr=8-1

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I've read lots of good art projects that are about worldbuilding as an excuse for illustration, or speculative biology, or horror, but the thing that makes them good isn't that they have a ton of unnessecary details, it's that they are executed with creativity and passion, and have a unifying theme or aesthetic that helps it hang together. I think even something that is specifically an exercise in making up and sharing a world is carried by things other than just raw worldbuilding, in this way.

(Rust and Humus is a really beautiful one that's all about endings and beginnings.)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

CharlestheHammer posted:

Worldbuilding is fine but if you want to go down that road you have to really commit and I don’t think many trash writers realize how much commitment that will take

You ain’t poo poo unless you have at least one fully developed language and alphabet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thank God engineers don't have unions