Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i've gotten to the actively dying of tuberculosis (and possibly aids) part of my replay of RDR2 and i swear to loving god the guttural throat-oyster noises arthur makes whenever he eats anything are just the worst noise to listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

The thing about Bloodborne is that any weapon can be viable for the entire game, and the stinginess with upgrade materials (past +6 at least) is to make you use the same weapon and get familiar with its moveset.

It also leads to a general lack of build variety (do you want to do an Arcane build? gently caress you).

This reminds me, I really genuinely love that they made Arcane in Elden Ring the “Bloodborne stuff stat, and also Luck”. Builds in BB do seem like they require more know how if you go beyond strength/dex/quality though. Iirc you can make any weapon scale off Arcane with a fire/lightning/magic blood gem, but the stones that boost the damage are a lot rarer. And iirc Bloodtinge is just weird because you have to be using specific attacks for it to work, you can’t just use the gunblades and have them use it by default.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

4REAL posted:

(and possibly aids)

loving what

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah no that's not a thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Philippe posted:

The thing about Bloodborne is that any weapon can be viable for the entire game, and the stinginess with upgrade materials (past +6 at least) is to make you use the same weapon and get familiar with its moveset.

It also leads to a general lack of build variety (do you want to do an Arcane build? gently caress you).

The saw cleaver and axe starting weapons are top tier, even.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hunter Axe spin2win charged R2 is probably one of the stronger attacks in a From game that I can remember off the top of my head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did cowboys have AIDS?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

The saw cleaver and axe starting weapons are top tier, even.

The nice thing about bloodborne is that there's a ton of weapons and, even moreso than Dark Souls 1, almost every one of them can carry you through to the endgame with the right build. The downside is that some of the weapons require extremely loving specific builds and you'll only get to them when you've probably maxed out all the weapons you can and already committed to a build super late in the game, because the boss/area the weapon is in is super hard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philippe posted:

This combined with how you just straight up don't get access to some of the more unique weapons until like halfway through the game are by and far my biggest issues with Bloodborne. At least in Dark Souls even if you can't get your favorite boss soul katana, or whatever fancy magical poo poo you want to build for you can at least find a weapon that plays similarly or uses similar stats and the like so you're always working towards your goal. In Bloodborne a lot of builds are just specifically locked away behind ultra niche weapons you might never find if you don't know where they are and even the regular strength and dex options can get frustrating because of how every weapon is effectively unique, if you don't like how the starting strength weapon plays and go dex, if you find a strength weapon you really like it's going to be time consuming to swap your stats.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Things dragging down Elden ring,my computer can’t handle it.

That starting area? Choppy as gently caress 6 fps,then i’d turn around to face the wall and it would jump to 30,i’ll wait for a discount until i can find a way to mod out the fog.

Was this a recent experience? They added ray tracing to ER and it defaults to on and even for most graphics cards that can do RT it runs like rear end.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Lobok posted:

Did cowboys have AIDS?

they had ranch hands and stuff sure

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

(they caught AIDS off the ranch hands)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

John Murdoch posted:

Was this a recent experience? They added ray tracing to ER and it defaults to on and even for most graphics cards that can do RT it runs like rear end.

Goddamnit seriously? I played 40 minutes and refunded,when it gets discounted properly i’ll try it again.loving raytracing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The raytracing in Elden Ring can also cause frame drops on PS5. I'm not even a guy who notices framerate most of the time, but I definitely felt the chugging walking around until I turned it off.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

raytracing is a scam right? like you buy a six million dollar graphics card and it either shits the bed entirely or looks, like, a bit better

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

This combined with how you just straight up don't get access to some of the more unique weapons until like halfway through the game are by and far my biggest issues with Bloodborne. At least in Dark Souls even if you can't get your favorite boss soul katana, or whatever fancy magical poo poo you want to build for you can at least find a weapon that plays similarly or uses similar stats and the like so you're always working towards your goal. In Bloodborne a lot of builds are just specifically locked away behind ultra niche weapons you might never find if you don't know where they are and even the regular strength and dex options can get frustrating because of how every weapon is effectively unique, if you don't like how the starting strength weapon plays and go dex, if you find a strength weapon you really like it's going to be time consuming to swap your stats.

Yeah, that's the worst thing about the game's replayability. I think there are 2 bloodtinge weapons, one locked behind a very difficult optional dungeon and one deep within the extremely difficult DLC. Since there's no way to respec you have to go through MOST of the game with a big handicap if you don't want to "waste" stats building for the weapons you'll use up until you get them. They are crazy strong though.

I think if you're paying for PS+ you can use seeds people have generated to get them through the chalice dungeon, at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc all of the “normal” base game weapons have rigged chalice dungeons, but that doesn’t apply to the DLC. But I think you can just do corpse runs for a decent chunk of them without fighting the first DLC boss even at “managed to beat Amelia” stats. Sucks to be you if you want anything past Ludwig though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

raytracing is a scam right? like you buy a six million dollar graphics card and it either shits the bed entirely or looks, like, a bit better

In theory it's a genuine step forward in graphics tech, but it showed up at the worst possible time for the GPU market and also requires a paradigm shift on the development side to make good use of it and on the technical side requires proper implementation.

But gently caress that, just slap it onto any old game and now it looks next gen!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I actually like how some raytracing looks on really old games because you can at least see it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Philippe posted:

arcane builds are really really fun in Bloodborne actually if you know very specifically what you’re doing and start pumping it early, since it boosts item discovery a ton . If you pump it early and do some grinding (shut up, killing poo poo in Bloodborne is a fun way to kill a few hours) you get way more weapon upgrade materials as drops and can gently caress around experimenting with a lot of stuff until you like, actually get some arcane attacks to clean up with. You still only get two chunks or whatever the final upgrade material is in a normal playthrough but you can get a much wider array of weapons upgraded close to the top to gently caress around with.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

4REAL posted:

(and possibly aids)

Philippe posted:

Yeah no that's not a thing.

for reference, HIV/AIDS literally did not exist during the time when RDR2 takes place.

Wikipedia timeline of HIV/AIDS posted:

Researchers estimate that some time in the early 20th century, a form of Simian immunodeficiency virus found in chimpanzees (SIVcpz) first entered humans in Central Africa and began circulating in Léopoldville (modern-day Kinshasa) by the 1920s.

and it first came to the Americas much later than that. Google tells me that RDR2 takes place in 1899.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think it's a broke back mountain reference idk

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think they were making a joke about certain airborne diseases being called "X aids" on these forums.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway the complete lack of respecs + really limited upgrade materials in Bloodborne is a shame if only because there are so many cool weapons, it feels bad not being able to play with them more. There's some strategy in itself in planning out a build that can survive before you can beeline the specific weapon that makes it complete, but still.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The period appropriate sex disease would probably have been syphilis, not that that's in any way limited to the Old West.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Arthur Morgan is canonically an incel :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc all of the “normal” base game weapons have rigged chalice dungeons, but that doesn’t apply to the DLC. But I think you can just do corpse runs for a decent chunk of them without fighting the first DLC boss even at “managed to beat Amelia” stats. Sucks to be you if you want anything past Ludwig though.

Most of the cool ones are, in fact, past Ludwig. Whirligig Saw is the big exception.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
There's an event in Dragon Quest XI that essentially puts the main character into a coma for a few months, during which he's hidden away by an ally while the villain takes over the world. In the meantime, another character essentially takes his place in the story, protecting the remnants of humanity against the forces of evil while the MC has a nice long snooze. The other NPCs literally call him The Hero and when the MC returns to action it's essentially as his sidekick, the narrative shifting to revolve around the new guy and his tragic relationship with the villain's main underling. Also, it's not like this happens at the beginning and serves as a twist to the basic hero origin story, this occurs like 80% of the way through with the MC already well established as the protagonist.

The game's story up to that point was mostly inoffensive but also not especially interesting, and I was so annoyed by this development that I quit playing the next time I died. Maybe the game goes back to being about the MC right after that battle but by that point I really could not have cared less.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

There's an event in Dragon Quest XI that essentially puts the main character into a coma for a few months, during which he's hidden away by an ally while the villain takes over the world. In the meantime, another character essentially takes his place in the story, protecting the remnants of humanity against the forces of evil while the MC has a nice long snooze. The other NPCs literally call him The Hero and when the MC returns to action it's essentially as his sidekick, the narrative shifting to revolve around the new guy and his tragic relationship with the villain's main underling. Also, it's not like this happens at the beginning and serves as a twist to the basic hero origin story, this occurs like 80% of the way through with the MC already well established as the protagonist.

The game's story up to that point was mostly inoffensive but also not especially interesting, and I was so annoyed by this development that I quit playing the next time I died. Maybe the game goes back to being about the MC right after that battle but by that point I really could not have cared less.

I always want the protagonists to be less nice about those kinds of characters. "Oh, well if it wasn't the overly credible dickhead that destroyed the world because he was so easily gaslit into thinking I was the badguy! Good to see you've pulled your head out of your rear end finally!" They're always too nice for their own good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Raytracing is beautiful and everything without it looks like loving garbage

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

mycot posted:

I think they were making a joke about certain airborne diseases being called "X aids" on these forums.

this

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm having a lot of issues with how buggy Alien Dark Descent is. I've had multiple bugs since starting it yesterday. The two big ones I remember is I had a guy with a drone and the drone just stopped following him after a cutscene. I tried multiple ways of making it move, even trying to hit it with a grenade but I guess it isn't effected by friendly fire. I ended up having to make a shelter because it's the only way to save, then reloading. Also I had several aliens get stuck underground where I can't get the nano points. I really like the game but the bugs are killing me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wow, I guess it was another bug hunt.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Curious how the Aliens videogame franchise is faring these days with respect to animated mouth movement for its human characters, considering the previous entry lacked this feature.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

lol if you thought you were 80% of the way through the game. You probably made the right call though if Dragon Quest doing World of Ruin, and the Luminary being temporarily framed as the legendary hero who beefed it wasn’t the one thing to make the story more than serviceable for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

lol if you thought you were 80% of the way through the game. You probably made the right call though if Dragon Quest doing World of Ruin, and the Luminary being temporarily framed as the legendary hero who beefed it wasn’t the one thing to make the story more than serviceable for you.

Yeah that's Act 2 of 3. You're only a smidge over halfway

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
To be fair to that guy, the game puts a lot of effort into the fake out ending.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm so burned out on trial and error instakill platforming gauntlets. Souldiers has a fire temple with a rising lava level that you're racing against, and it fumbles it in two big ways. #1 is it clearly had different areas focusing on different elemental powers that you pick up through the game, so there are distinct individual puzzle sections, but no checkpoints. When you beat one puzzle, you move straight to the next one, which you'll likely need to spend a couple attempts figuring it out because your first attempt likely won't give you enough time, even if you already understood exactly what to do with that particular puzzle. So while figuring out the goal, you die. Then you do the previous puzzle slightly faster, so you have enough time to solve the puzzle this time, then die trying to figure out the goal of the next puzzle. Every time you die, you start back at the cutscene trigger that begins the lava. There's at least four different puzzles I've encountered so far before I decided to take a break.

Fumble #2 is the pathing, because it's constantly zigzagging you left and right across the screen while going up, and getting turned around once is a reset. There is no world in which a player will pick this game up for the very first time, reach this point, and make it to the end with the feeling like they barely escaped. You have to learn the path through memorization and repetition, because there's also no points where the lava slows down or rubber bands a bit. You are not participating in an exciting setpiece, you are solving a puzzle (the puzzle is everything either looks the loving same, or the things you grab on to blend into the background)

All of this in a game that sometimes feels like controlling a sidescrolling Zelda title

e: and I just died standing on a platform, waiting for another platform to move to where it's supposed to, because it stands completely still for 2 seconds after being activated. jesus christ

bawk has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Jul 17, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m playing Nioh and it just has too much stuff. Kill an enemy and they drop a leg armor with 6 defense and perks of 2.2% health regen and -7% fire damage. Then 44 seconds later the same thing with perks of 6% faster li regeneration and 4% poison defense. Same with weapons. There’s too much stuff! And I have to pick it up! I can’t not pick it up!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

oldpainless posted:

I’m playing Nioh and it just has too much stuff. Kill an enemy and they drop a leg armor with 6 defense and perks of 2.2% health regen and -7% fire damage. Then 44 seconds later the same thing with perks of 6% faster li regeneration and 4% poison defense. Same with weapons. There’s too much stuff! And I have to pick it up! I can’t not pick it up!!

Best practices for Nioh is just use whatever has the biggest armor/attack number for your favorite armor/weapon type and ignore all the little +% extras, and bulk disassemble/sell everything else. Gear perks and synergies are exclusively an NG+ concern.

You can also go to the options and deactivate the ability to pick gear up below a certain rarity which I highly recommend once you get rolling with all yellows/blues/purples/???