Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A rundown of the issues over which negotiations broke down at the SAG-AFTRA/AMPTP talks

There are three points on which the two parties are at a total impasse:

Streaming residuals: SAG-AFTRA members would like a cut of the ongoing revenue that streaming shows produce, which they do not receive at all today. However, there is no standard way to quantify the income of a streaming show right now, because the streamers keep their own ratings private and it's hard to tell what shows convinced a particular viewer to buy a subscription. There are third-party streaming analytics companies, which SAG-AFTRA suggests using, but this is the main sticking point and the union's top priority.

Increases to guaranteed pay: SAG-AFTRA would like the minimum rates for projects to be increased significantly to track recent inflation; the studios would like a smaller increase.

Rights and compensation for the use of AI: SAG-AFTRA would like an airtight guarantee that performers are fairly compensated for the use of their work in AI content generation and give consent to every use of their likeness and recordings. The studios have put a proposal on the table which, according to the union's head of negotiations, gives them an easily foreseeable loophole, so that's out. This is the hardest point on which to negotiate because it's such a rapidly evolving field that neither side is sure what will be possible in the future.

And a number of lesser issues that they would also like to hash out and/or tweak:

Self-taped auditions: This practice has gotten a bit out of control, especially after its use was forced to expand by the pandemic. The union says the level of effort demanded today of performers who haven't even been hired yet is unreasonable.

Pension and health insurance payments: I assume this is standard unremarkable stuff all unions negotiate all the time.

Actors Access: An inside-baseball issue regarding the service that acts as the de facto marketplace for performers and casters seeking to be matched with each other.

Option periods: The union would like an enforceable guarantee of timely notification of whether actors will be retained for further production of streaming shows.

Background actors who aren't located in NY or LA: SAG-AFTRA would like to expand its representation to all background actors throughout the US; today it only represents them in the two named regions.

Performance capture: SAG-AFTRA would like to represent people like Andy Serkis whose likeness doesn't actually appear in the result.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The USA really seems to be outright on a Civil War trajectory, where on partisan lines there are states actively not recognising basic human rights and clearly gearing up to engage in active genocide. How long can Democrat leadership sit back while that happens?

Not even close. The split isn’t regional (none of Trump’s top 6 states are even in the south), it’s rural vs urban.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Not even close. The split isn’t regional (none of Trump’s top 6 states are even in the south), it’s rural vs urban.

From what it appears to be it seems more like "Urban vs Suburban" tbh. Most of the loudest folks in favour of a civil war seem far more invested in being petty tyrants in their own petty fiefdoms of suburbia rather than, lets say, Appalachian people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Either way, the important part is that there's no natural boundary for the nation to cleave along like the Mason-Dixon Line. We aren't headed for an old school civil war where one faction takes half the territory, the other faction takes the other half, and they raise armies that go at each other until one side surrenders. The sides cannot be extricated from each other geographically so whatever happens is going to be much more irregular and much messier

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

From what it appears to be it seems more like "Urban vs Suburban" tbh. Most of the loudest folks in favour of a civil war seem far more invested in being petty tyrants in their own petty fiefdoms of suburbia rather than, lets say, Appalachian people.

Keep in mind that suburbia is arguably half the US population compared to 20% or under rural.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's not even urban vs rural. It's "watches right wing media vs doesn't".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Not really sure I have enough to go on to make a real judgment about how a civil war would come about because the people that most insistently bring it up and excitedly draw lines are Jan 6-ers and Twitter-brained left wingers.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Balkanization is our destiny, the question is really how violent the breakups will be.

Considering the US military's role in contributing to climate change and innumerable war crimes and oppression, it's probably a net good for humanity to have it happen sooner rather than later.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not even urban vs rural. It's "watches right wing media vs doesn't".

How is it not urban vs rural? Even on dating apps you can clearly see a difference in values and interests once you get a good 20-30+ miles outside of the city and into the smaller communities. Living in a city, I struggle to find anything that I have in common with someone out in the countryside.

Really the only thing I've seen in common between urban and rural people is they both tend to highly value their local shops and restaurants over big corporate chains, and preserving the things that keeps their communities unique.

The suburbs seem to be where most of the action is, where both sides are more evenly split.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustang posted:

How is it not urban vs rural?

It's a mix everywhere it's just that rural areas have a LOT more people who just watch fox news. Even in the heart of left wing cities though you'll find, you know, cops for example.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Should this country balkanize, it won't be red states vs. blue states. It will be places with all the money against the places with no money. Hope you live in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or maybe Houston when it happens. They'll still be ran by the ultrawealthy, they won't actually address any of their social or economic problems that affect the majority. It would be more of the same, but with signs all around the perimeter of those city states that say, "gently caress off, we're full."

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Star Man posted:

Should this country balkanize, it won't be red states vs. blue states. It will be places with all the money against the places with no money. Hope you live in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or maybe Houston when it happens. They'll still be ran by the ultrawealthy, they won't actually address any of their social or economic problems that affect the majority. It would be more of the same, but with signs all around the perimeter of those city states that say, "gently caress off, we're full."

Solar Will Save Us.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/11/marjorie-taylor-greene-district-climate-biden-00104848

Politico posted:

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s deep-red district is part of the Biden administration’s best bet for keeping the president’s signature climate law in place.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Who's that money actually going to go to?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Star Man posted:

Hope you live in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or maybe Houston when it happens.

I can't tell if Chicago is left off this list deliberately or if it's implicitly included under "big cities etc"

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Star Man posted:

well you have to have an employer but if your gripe is w/ Corporate, I can't help you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I can't tell if Chicago is left off this list deliberately or if it's implicitly included under "big cities etc"

Chicago isn't the global center of anything. It's important to the Rust Belt, but nothing else. Houston is a contender because of the energy sector.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

haveblue posted:

Rights and compensation for the use of AI: SAG-AFTRA would like an airtight guarantee that performers are fairly compensated for the use of their work in AI content generation and give consent to every use of their likeness and recordings. The studios have put a proposal on the table which, according to the union's head of negotiations, gives them an easily foreseeable loophole, so that's out. This is the hardest point on which to negotiate because it's such a rapidly evolving field that neither side is sure what will be possible in the future.

Thanks for this rundown, trying to get non-Hollywood folks to understand this stuff has been challenging.

My kids do background work, and have worked on some awesome stuff including Star Wars projects including the upcoming Skeleton Crew show. I am a nerd, I am stoked my kids are in the Star Wars universe, but part of that work included being digitally scanned. Now, my kids are a part of the universe and could be used forever and ever. When we worked on the big Volume stage for The Mandalorian, the digital background was filled with either completely AI figures or other background actors who had been previously scanned. We have no control over their scanned images, we have no idea what will be done with them, and there is nothing we can do about it. It was a cool concept at first, who wouldn't want to be a part of that world?! But it makes me sick to think I signed over my kids' likenesses without any safety net. I am so grateful the union is taking this stuff seriously, my kids have been scanned on multiple jobs and I wish I had the foresight to question what would happen to their images.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Star Man posted:

Chicago isn't the global center of anything. It's important to the Rust Belt, but nothing else. Houston is a contender because of the energy sector.

It's the third largest city in the country, one of the biggest logistic hubs, and the biggest railroad hub, this is an incredibly bad post and you should feel bad for making it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Originally from April, but 1) the comments period appears to have closed so it's presumably under final-ish review, and 2) some of the worst AGs in the country have been whining about it. HHS proposed rule to (basically) prohibit sharing abortion or gender affirming care data across state lines with law enforcement et al: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/04/17/2023-07517/hipaa-privacy-rule-to-support-reproductive-health-care-privacy

In the course of googling the link up, it looks like Secretary Becerra's also been pretty straightforward about wanting to protect gender affirming care in general.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It is unclear that the proposed rule would cover gender-affirming care; even opposed comments in the docket seem to be focused on abortion. And, hoo boy, there are some opposing comments, including congressional ones.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hm, now i'm wondering where i read the gender affirming care part

The letter from the attorneys general I'm pretty sure I was thinking of does seem abortion-focused. Maybe I misread an article about the letter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's the third largest city in the country, one of the biggest logistic hubs, and the biggest railroad hub, this is an incredibly bad post and you should feel bad for making it.

See what I mean about how awful discussions where people draw civil war lines are?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Everyone forgets Denver exists, but it would end up dependent on Texas or Chicago or Both most likely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

hm, now i'm wondering where i read the gender affirming care part

The letter from the attorneys general I'm pretty sure I was thinking of does seem abortion-focused. Maybe I misread an article about the letter.

It's possible HHS is going to try to use it for gender-affirming care, and that does seem to be at least something raised as a concern by some conservative respondents. I just don't see it in the proposed rule itself.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is also home to ConAgra, Kraft Heinz (with Pittsburgh), Sysco, McDonald's, and Mondelez. And that's just some of the food companies.

Chicago's gross metropolitan product was literally bigger than Switzerland GDP in 2020.

And the urban/rural split is pretty distinctive in Illinois, to the point where splitting Chicagoland out has bubbled up multiple times already.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

I love completely unsupported statements. Are you even from the United States?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Chicago has its own style of pizza and hotdog, theyre clearly big enough to be part of this club or whatever.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mustang posted:

How is it not urban vs rural? Even on dating apps you can clearly see a difference in values and interests once you get a good 20-30+ miles outside of the city and into the smaller communities. Living in a city, I struggle to find anything that I have in common with someone out in the countryside.

Really the only thing I've seen in common between urban and rural people is they both tend to highly value their local shops and restaurants over big corporate chains, and preserving the things that keeps their communities unique.

The suburbs seem to be where most of the action is, where both sides are more evenly split.

I mean a third of rural people voted for Biden. It makes sense that it's harder to find people you connect with on dating sites because there are other things you care about besides how they voted, but it's super easy to find Democrats.

The thing is there just aren't that many rural people, period. If you look at the election maps Republicans mostly won rural counties, but that doesn't mean most Republicans live there.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well yeah, I live in Seattle so finding liberal/left leaning women nearby is easy. My main point was that there is a pretty clear difference in values and interests between urban and rural people, with suburbanites falling somewhere in between.

But even Democratic voters from the suburbs have their differences with cities, the ones from Seattle's suburbs certainly love to complain about the crime, drugs, and unhoused people of Seattle.

Like I can't imagine going to one of small towns of Washington and telling the people I meet there what a poo poo heap their town is, but mention you're from Seattle and they have plenty negative to say despite never living there once in their life.

90% of my family lives in either suburbs or rural areas of the South and Midwest and big cities are a pretty common target for everything wrong with America.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josef bugman posted:

Not exactly. Suburbs have always been somewhat evenly split (the stereotype of American suburbs as being generally affluent hasn't been true in over 30 years) and are trending blue in a very pronounced way in the last few cycles (basically post-escalator.)

What you will typically see in a swing state like PA, MI or WI is the major cities going 75-90% for Democrats, the suburbs in the 50-55 range, and rural areas 90-10 in favor of Trumpism.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a mix everywhere it's just that rural areas have a LOT more people who just watch fox news. Even in the heart of left wing cities though you'll find, you know, cops for example.
I think it's more that people in rural areas tend to be more conservative, and thus watch more Fox News, than that they watch more Fox News and thus tend to be more conservative. But there's always conservatives everywhere, of course. In an actual civil war it would be really strange to see how people in "hostile territory" - either a city mouse in the country, or a country mouse in the city - respond to their situation.

Star Man posted:

It will be places with all the money against the places with no money. Hope you live in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or maybe Houston when it happens. They'll still be ran by the ultrawealthy, they won't actually address any of their social or economic problems that affect the majority. It would be more of the same, but with signs all around the perimeter of those city states that say, "gently caress off, we're full."
Eh - I doubt it will just be the global cities. People in all urban areas are generally politically aligned with people in LA or New York - even in picayune and economically struggling metros. I imagine that the large city states would try to establish as large of a suburban-rural perimeter around themselves, try to get some of those satellite cities under their umbrella. But even places like Cincinnati or St. Louis, or even Louisville or Little Rock, are going to be major thorns in the side of any bubba insurgency.

Chicago is a gigantic city with a gigantic ring of suburbs, and it's basically coastal, and it's close to a country that would ally with the libs. It's not falling.

Star Man posted:

It's going to alternative energy companies like Hanwha Qcells, for subsidizing aspects of their business operations. And a lot of it is also going to stuff like individuals installing solar panels, which then gooses up business for the solar companies to spin up their new factories. It's public investment for private profit, as per ushe, but the idea is that the services provided by the companies that are profiting are a net environmental good.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

According to the yougov crosstabs 83 percent of Biden's 2020 voters plan to vote for him again while 92 percent of Trump's voters plan to vote for him again.

eta: Dang, I wonder how the student-loan stuff will affect the millennial vote given that it was nearly tied in the yougov polling before the court decision.

etaa: link to yougov poll

No way does that hold; last election (2020) D voted 97% Biden and R voted 93% Trump.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

yronic heroism posted:

Keep in mind that suburbia is arguably half the US population compared to 20% or under rural.

Civil War 2 is gonna be bruncher vs bruncher

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

No way does that hold; last election (2020) D voted 97% Biden and R voted 93% Trump.

And last year's Democratic turnout was bad as expected, the midterm was close because an unusually large number of 2020 Trump voters voted for Democrats.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

James Garfield posted:

And last year's Democratic turnout was bad as expected, the midterm was close because an unusually large number of 2020 Trump voters voted for Democrats.
how does this happen? I cannot even imagine a guy who voted for Trump and then goes on to ever vote for a democrat. Even if you're a soft supporter/just want tax cuts kinda R (these aren't real anymore anyway), you would just stay home, not pull the lever for the other guy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Assuming that’s true, you have any evidence that midterm results predict much about turnout two years later?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

how does this happen? I cannot even imagine a guy who voted for Trump and then goes on to ever vote for a democrat. Even if you're a soft supporter/just want tax cuts kinda R (these aren't real anymore anyway), you would just stay home, not pull the lever for the other guy.

It was the abortion ruling flipping votes in the suburbs.

Like 10% of Trump voters previously voted for Obama. There are more than enough flip floppers to win or lose an election.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Civil War 2 is gonna be bruncher vs bruncher

Bravo.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

A lot of people just don't follow politics closely, the people at the Trump boat parades aren't the average Trump voter.

yronic heroism posted:

Assuming that’s true, you have any evidence that midterm results predict much about turnout two years later?

I mean obviously Democratic turnout will be better in 2024, the incumbent president's party always has bad turnout in midterms. The question is whether the Trump voters who voted for Katie Hobbs because of abortion and election denial will go back to voting for Trump next year.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 17, 2023

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I know 1st and 2nd generation immigrants that regularly crossed the Mexican border for work because they still lived in Tijuana who voted for Trump the first time but not the second. Guess they got tired of the border getting worse instead of better? Never did figure out why they voted for him in the first place beyond their FYGM mentality. Something about illegal immigrants not deserving because they essentially cut in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mizaq posted:

I know 1st and 2nd generation immigrants that regularly crossed the Mexican border for work because they still lived in Tijuana who voted for Trump the first time but not the second. Guess they got tired of the border getting worse instead of better? Never did figure out why they voted for him in the first place beyond their FYGM mentality. Something about illegal immigrants not deserving because they essentially cut in line.

I have an in-law like this and it really confuses me. Like, isn’t it a good enough reward for your hard work that you get to be a citizen without constantly having to look over your shoulder and find work willing to pay you without checking your SSN? That you get to have benefits and retirement options?