Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:thanks:

e: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Haven't watched this in a dogs age, I should go look it up and see if it ever got a HD release.

aeon flux?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

aeon flux?

i have the dvd rips, but sd animation only scales so well

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

lol figures. i do remember it now and was actually going to go back to edit my post

yesss! I could half-picture it but have been binging early 2000s scifi lately and they're all jumbled together. farscape was my other guess, since crichton's head is cut off while he's a statue and gets tossed around

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

i have the dvd rips, but sd animation only scales so well

I bet the next-gen AI powered video upscalers tuned to perfection by desperate weebs will do a good job on it...

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i saw one the other day just for old tmnt episodes, so it's only a matter of time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I bet the next-gen AI powered video upscalers tuned to perfection by desperate weebs will do a good job on it...

i guess it'd have to, it looks like the series only got the one dvd release

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh jfc just turn your phone
https://twitter.com/_akhaliq/status/1679989388191711233

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 15, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks, i hate it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but what if i wanna see roy's d

in the rain

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I gave

https://github.com/AaronFeng753/Waifu2x-Extension-GUI

some test-runs and using the included ESRGAN model it produces some excellent results, takes a while to do (50mins for a 12min episode on my old machine) but I'm having the devil of a time getting the output to be just eg: 'input resolution but doubled' - there's several things in the admin screen I've tweak-tested and every output comes out stretched a bit.

The source file here is 720x480, so I ask the converter for a 1440x960 output, which it produces, but then opening 2 VLC windows side by side and setting the original file to be zoomed 2X, the windows are different sizes / aspects :mad: Do DVD rips retain the non-square-pixel thing?

It's not terribly noticeable when you're watching such stylized animation (and VLC will let you force a 4:3 aspect anyway), but I would prefer to get it right.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 16, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think maybe media info or whatever is lying about the source file resolution, because they're definitely 4:3

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that's anamorphic. the container tells the player to display it in 4:3. what kind of file type did it output as? if it's mp4 or mkv you can easily edit that without re-encoding anything

e: hell even if it's not either one, you could just use ffmpeg and the "copy" codec with either file type. just don't forget the flags to set the ratio

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 16, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

that's anamorphic. the container tells the player to display it in 4:3. what kind of file type did it output as? if it's mp4 or mkv you can easily edit that without re-encoding anything

e: hell even if it's not either one, you could just use ffmpeg and the "copy" codec with either file type. just don't forget the flags to set the ratio

ah nice and easy

$ ffmpeg -i aeon-s01e01.mp4 -aspect 720:540 -c copy aeon-s01e01-43.mp4

This is me right now :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kaIXkImCAM

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pepe dropped his tray

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ah nice and easy

$ ffmpeg -i aeon-s01e01.mp4 -aspect 720:540 -c copy aeon-s01e01-43.mp4

This is me right now :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kaIXkImCAM

well yeah "-aspect 4:3" also works lol

but it used to be more confusing than that with setting -dar -par -sar

pre:
                   display     DAR     picture     PAR    SAR = DAR/PAR
     16:9-2160: 3840 x 2160  16:9 : 3840 x 2160  16:9 :  1:1
      4:3-2160: 2880 x 2160   4:3 : 2880 x 2160   4:3 :  1:1
     16:9-1080: 1920 x 1080  16:9 : 1920 x 1080  16:9 :  1:1
      4:3-1080: 1440 x 1080   4:3 : 1440 x 1080   4:3 :  1:1
      16:9-576: 1024 x 576   16:9 :  720 x 576    5:4 : 64:45
       4:3-576:  768 x 576    4:3 :  720 x 576    5:4 : 16:15
      16:9-480:  853 x 480   16:9 :  720 x 480    3:2 : 32:27
       4:3-480:  640 x 480    4:3 :  720 x 480    3:2 :  8:9 
(from here)

glad you got it though, ffmpeg is great for poo poo like that

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
here are three ways to do this in ffmpeg

one of them should work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sar (sample aspect ratio), dar (display aspect ratio) and par (picture aspect ratio) are all different things. they're similar in that they define an aspect ratio for some element of what you see, but they are absolutely not equivalent

most people want to set the display aspect ratio, but if the others are already set (or set incorrectly) it won't look right. they are pretty confusing so ffmpeg just has an "-aspect" switch to define that and set them all, but there are definitely use cases where you'd have to set one or all of them. most people can ignore them though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
more like ffffffffffffmpeg ami right?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
sometimes libav adds a bunch of padding to the beginning and end of lines in a video frame and i have not been able to google a compelling reason why

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

RokosCockatrice posted:

sometimes libav adds a bunch of padding to the beginning and end of lines in a video frame and i have not been able to google a compelling reason why

presumably some kind of insane compatibility reasons so you can still play divxs on your ps2 and all those weird disc-based players from the 2000s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

RokosCockatrice posted:

i'm not entirely sure what you mean but it sounds like it's padding the frame size? if you crop it to a resolution where one dimension isn't evenly divisible (e.g, 640x479) i think it will do that, but more likely it will just fail (i know libx264 for example won't even process frames like that). next time scale it?

either way if libav does it but ffmpeg doesn't then maybe libav sucks. i haven't used it in probably a decade because ffmpeg owns

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

make sure you don't download ffmpreg, that CLI does something very different

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

misspawned child processes into miracles

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Agile Vector posted:

misspawned child processes into miracles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

good lord

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
lol whoops

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/17/23797379/mali-ml-typo-us-military-emails-leak

"Instead of appending the military’s .MIL domain to their recipient’s email address, people frequently type .ML, the country identifier for Mali, by mistake."

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://twitter.com/declouxj/status/1680580527567298560?s=46&t=2w7hcz5FPFygLmBT4UVItg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holy poo poo i need to see this

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Midjack posted:

same but it's deleted :negative:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Midjack posted:

good news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzNzLeofBQ

e: skimming through this and this setup makes a lot more sense than how I remember the original film, where Dr. Angelo just needed a replacement monkey and looks outside, noticing his simple lovable gardener

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 18, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
SAR = DAR/PAR

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

SAR = DAR/PAR

that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was sitting next to a guy on the train that was using what looked like a ruggedised blackberry with no joke a terminal window open on it, or maybe something like irc chat? Idk. I can't decide if it was extremely cyberpunk or, because he was wearing short shorts, extremely terrible.