Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sure, the US only acts as the humble chairman but its international NGOs enforce favourable free trade worldwide, its currency is the untouchable world standard, and every other western state sets foreign policy in reference to what the Americans will do (with or against).

I'm glad to be part of the club but there is definitely a first among equals benefit and I don't think some of the ruthless bastards running the US though the 20th century were doing it as a charity case.

The fact that American people don't get to share in that wealth is a different problem.

We should absolutely be spending a ton more on the military however.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ChubbyChecker posted:

abloo bloo bloo

dont blame others for your poo poo country

:ironicat:

Strategic Tea posted:

Sure, the US only acts as the humble chairman but its international NGOs enforce favourable free trade worldwide, its currency is the untouchable world standard, and every other western state sets foreign policy in reference to what the Americans will do (with or against).

I'm glad to be part of the club but there is definitely a first among equals benefit and I don't think some of the ruthless bastards running the US though the 20th century were doing it as a charity case.

The fact that American people don't get to share in that wealth is a different problem.

We should absolutely be spending a ton more on the military however.

I'm sorry no one is not going to laugh at the idea that large wealthy western European countries, some still greasily clinging to empire around parts of the globe, and owning nuclear weapons, are underdog servants of America.

It's like listening to millionaires whine about a billionaire.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 16, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Satire is dead

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

First they came for the minorities, and we millionaires did nothing.

Then they came for the poor, and we millionaires did nothing.

Then they came for the middle class, and we millionaires did nothing.

Then they came for us millionnaires... And everyone else laughed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Got dusty in here

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Grape posted:

I'm sorry no one is not going to laugh at the idea that large wealthy western European countries, some still greasily clinging to empire around parts of the globe, and owning nuclear weapons, are underdog servants of America.

It's like listening to millionaires whine about a billionaire.

No, I'm not saying we're underdogs at all. I'm saying the US gets its perks for being the clear senior partner and we're all clearly wealthier together than apart.

This was all in response to the idea that European defence slacking was preventing the US from being able to afford healthcare, public services, etc.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I didn't say it was preventing it. I said the opposite actually. I said the US wasn't getting that regardless but that it enables Europeans to have those things because they can spend the money on that instead of defense because of American defense subsidies.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HonorableTB posted:

I didn't say it was preventing it. I said the opposite actually. I said the US wasn't getting that regardless but that it enables Europeans to have those things because they can spend the money on that instead of defense because of American defense subsidies.

I don't think that they can spend money on healthcare because they were skimping on their militaries, it's just that the US will never spend money on proper healthcare. The US spends more on their health -grifting system and has a big military, and the two are unrelated, just as European nations were skimping on their militaries and had proper healthcare and the two were unrelated.

It's just political rhetoric saying you can have one or the other. I think it's more accurate to say that nations that want massive military spending are more likely to not want to spend on proper healthcare.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Blistex posted:

I don't think that they can spend money on healthcare because they were skimping on their militaries, it's just that the US will never spend money on proper healthcare. The US spends more on their health -grifting system and has a big military, and the two are unrelated, just as European nations were skimping on their militaries and had proper healthcare and the two were unrelated.

True but "luxury bones" is a funny framing.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

HonorableTB posted:

Ridiculous position to claim when the US spends more per capita on healthcare for worse outcomes. They'll never not funnel money to corporations, the argument is a complete fallacy.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1680499500534620160#m

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Shoigu is pretending to pay me and I'm pretending to fight :shrug:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

After the snoozer and driving over mines on purpose, the next level is to fall asleep while driving a tank to a minefield (and not waking up when losing the tracks).

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The most implausible part of that meme is the statement that the mobiks would ever be presented with a mission briefing

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Clearly an officer at minimum. He's got a blanket.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Trump sucked a lot for many reasons but one of the things he did right was correctly calling out NATO states for by and large failing to meet their requirements because they found it easier to rely on the US instead of having to meet their obligations on spending. The US shouldn't have to foot the bill for the majority of NATO defense AND shoulder most of the burden helping Ukraine. We can because someone needs to and it's easy for America to do so but we shouldn't just let everyone else skate on requirements (because NATO doing that is how we got to this position with severely anemic European militaries in the first place). If you wanna be part of the club then pay your dues. As of 2022 only Poland, the US, and UK were meeting that obligation

nah
it was just racketeering to undermine closest allies and curry favors with authoritarians that could have given trumpo money

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think Trump even understood how NATO works, and though that the countries not spending the 2% of gdp were stealing from him.

As I stated in the Trump legal trouble thread, the longest book in the world would be a list of simple things Trump doesn't understand.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

As I stated in the Trump legal trouble thread, the longest book in the world would be a list of simple things Trump doesn't understand.

Most of the book would be just dogs, right?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

mobby_6kl posted:

Most of the book would be just dogs, right?

They made a joke about that in that thread and I didn't get it. What does Trump not understand about dogs?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

They made a joke about that in that thread and I didn't get it. What does Trump not understand about dogs?

He constantly uses dogs as a comparison point for how bad something is, like he thinks dogs are thought of as inherently hated animals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

He constantly uses dogs as a comparison point for how bad something is, like he thinks dogs are thought of as inherently hated animals.
Yeah and especially in ways that make no sense for dogs:

There are a bunch of examples in this article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-dogs_n_56b99a5ee4b04f9b57dafa54

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Dude was probably relieved. No chance of dying, gets fed, a real(ish) bed. Not like he was getting paid anyway

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah and especially in ways that make no sense for dogs:

There are a bunch of examples in this article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-dogs_n_56b99a5ee4b04f9b57dafa54

lol the writer gets pedantic about 'sweating like a dog', an idiom that gets four hundred thousand hits on google, and then gets upset about 'begging for money, like a dog'

amazing how lazy huffpo writers became once they could just write about twitter

Burns
May 10, 2008

Basically Trump really like the mafioso in Batman Begins because thats where he learned that line, like a dog.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
wait, that's it. trump's forum name was Iron Crowned.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

... lmao

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Trump was right that NATO nations should pay more but his approach to correct the problem was completely and utterly wrong. You don’t shame sovereign states into increasing defense spending by bullying them about it. It makes the politicians who cave look weak and like they are knuckling in to American bullying. If you have to strongarm someone you do it behind closed diplomatic doors and leave the other guy a way to spin it as a win.

Of course Trump had no intention of actually getting NATO to increase defense spending but this is also Trump’s approach to diplomacy in general. Remember Mexico’s “We’re not paying for your stupid wall” or “We are going to buy Greenland, oh, you won’t sell, then I AM NOT COMING!” In diplomacy you have to leave both sides able to sell it as a win but Trump was trying to score wins and humble his opponents which is why the rest of the world laughed at or manipulated the dumbass.

Trump was factually right (because someone told him the truth) but he hosed up doing both what he was pretending to do (increase NATO defense spending) and what he was trying to do (neuter NATO so the piss tape wouldn’t come out).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ukraine War: We Can't Stop Talking About Trump

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

the popes toes posted:

oh come on, it's relevant. the man was president for 4 years and that's had consequences in the international arena.

it is very funny that for all that effort Putin got so much of the west on his side about drawing down or getting rid of NATO and then not only just annihilated all that progress in a night but swung the pendulum way to the other side. I know a bunch of people who are now "huh drat well looks like democracy literally requires defense by force of arms so we'd better have the sickest loving arms check out this lift dogg :black101:" about it and I can't really claim not to be among them.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

Trump's first impeachment was literally extorting Ukraine over weapons to defend against this very invasion lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Xenocides posted:

Trump was right that NATO nations should pay more but his approach to correct the problem was completely and utterly wrong. You don’t shame sovereign states into increasing defense spending by bullying them about it. It makes the politicians who cave look weak and like they are knuckling in to American bullying. If you have to strongarm someone you do it behind closed diplomatic doors and leave the other guy a way to spin it as a win.

Of course Trump had no intention of actually getting NATO to increase defense spending but this is also Trump’s approach to diplomacy in general. Remember Mexico’s “We’re not paying for your stupid wall” or “We are going to buy Greenland, oh, you won’t sell, then I AM NOT COMING!” In diplomacy you have to leave both sides able to sell it as a win but Trump was trying to score wins and humble his opponents which is why the rest of the world laughed at or manipulated the dumbass.

Trump was factually right (because someone told him the truth) but he hosed up doing both what he was pretending to do (increase NATO defense spending) and what he was trying to do (neuter NATO so the piss tape wouldn’t come out).

Exactly.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

the popes toes posted:

Clone Trump enough times to make a wall out of him between Ukraine and Russia like in that scene in 300.

But bigger.

A LOT bigger.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If Ukraine takes back all of Bakhmut, how much of a boon is it for Ukraine, assuming Ukraine doesn't lose too much taking it back? I feel like no matter what Russia is going to forever ramble about how Bakhmut Was The One Big Win Nobody Can Deny even if Ukraine can take it back, but it seems like Russia is really keen on keeping it as a meatgrinder by tying up a lot of troops for some...reason.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EorayMel posted:

If Ukraine takes back all of Bakhmut, how much of a boon is it for Ukraine, assuming Ukraine doesn't lose too much taking it back? I feel like no matter what Russia is going to forever ramble about how Bakhmut Was The One Big Win Nobody Can Deny even if Ukraine can take it back, but it seems like Russia is really keen on keeping it as a meatgrinder by tying up a lot of troops for some...reason.

Maybe the defensive lines between Bakhmut and Lysychansk/Severodonetsk are badly prepared since there was never a single clear frontline to fortify there? If so there's a theoretical chance taking the entire town back would be a useful breakthrough point in the Russian defenses, on top of the morale reasons to take it back.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

fatherboxx posted:

nah
it was just racketeering to undermine closest allies and curry favors with authoritarians that could have given trumpo money

Yes. Also it's not like Trump was the first president to complain about this, he's just the loudest. Complaints about NATO members not spending enough on defense are almost as old as NATO.

Coolguye posted:

lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1680533457385013248#m
Monke continues winning so much that these appeals have increased more than I've ever seen before during any given period of time.

quote:

Rashist mobiks in Bakhmut refused to complete "suicide orders" and are now threatened with shooting by their leadership. The men hit all bingo cards: terrible commanders, no ammo, no artillery and aviation support, delays in payments, and no rotation or rest:

"Hello. We’re the mobilised from the 85th Brigade. Together with us are also contractors whose contracts ran out, but they’re still fighting here with us, now for 10-11 months.

We’d like to say that during all this time, we’ve been mobilised for 7-8 months, we always unconditionally completed all orders at fronts near Kreminna and Belohirivka, without fear.

But now, we’ve been thrown to Bahkmut to unprepared unmined positions, with a drunk company commander who led us to these positions. We didn’t reach them, we were shelled with tanks, mortars, Polish missiles.

We came to the company commander and explained that we won’t pass there. We came across employees of PMC “Hurricane” who were leaving those positions, they were the first with losses.

They explained to us that we’re simply suiciders, we won’t pass there. To which the company commander said we needed to complete the order. But as we’re the mobilised, not stormtroopers or spetsnaz, without ammo, without food, without evacuation, without vehicles, we were thrown in like stormtroopers.

We refused, only laying down weapons by the order of the Brigade commander, under threats of shooting, accused of betrayal, and threatened with imprisonment.

We didn’t reach those positions. We are now sat in Svetlodarsk, in some strange building. But as they didn’t take away our phones, we’re trying to record a video for our relatives who could help us.

We do not refuse to fight, we can take weapons again, but not in this direction, and not in the first line of defence. As I already said, we always followed our orders without being afraid, under mortar and enemy bullets.

But now, after this time, we’re simply defeated psychologically by our command. We don’t even have medals for the SMO, we were not given any payments. By the way, our salaries come late and not in full.

There’s no rotation, no rest provided to us. So that’s what it is. And we’re now accused of betrayal and cowardice forgetting about our previous achievements.

We were sent there without artillery and aviation support which are unable to suppress the enemy fire. We came under shelling, and after all that happened, the commander, answering why our artillery and aviation were silent, said there’s no ammo - “Go die an honourable death”.

But we’re not suiciders, we’re simple mobilised, workmen, just like anyone else.

We were called P.O.W.s and threatened with killing, threatened to be sent to Storm units containing unprepared people, or sent back to the zero line. But we’re simply afraid that our commanders will shoot us there.

We do not refuse to serve and complete combat tasks, just not in this direction, not on the first line, and not with these commanders."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mikojan posted:

Satire is dead

that's not satire that's palo alto, it's way worse

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1680533457385013248#m
Monke continues winning so much that these appeals have increased more than I've ever seen before during any given period of time.

I want to know how they identify Polish missiles? Do they have the Polish hussars wings on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I want to know how they identify Polish missiles? Do they have the Polish hussars wings on them?

How else do you think they fly?