Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
Up to 425 and use parchment paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

Baking a bunch of roots, veg and meat on a sheet pan for like 30 minutes at 350 is one of my favorite things and im mad i didnt really learn it until I was like 32.

That looks good af.

I do this twice a week cause I’m lazy as hell and work too much

Put the meat on top of a cooling rack with the veggies underneath so they get to roast in the drippings

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Up to 425 and use parchment paper.

This too

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've also embraced the idea of prepping potatoes in the microwave for ten minutes rather than deal with boiling them. big time savings.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

made birria in the instant pot instead of the oven and its not as good but still great

birria quesatacos and broth all day for hangover and i have enough left for burritos tomorrow

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I've been perfecting my red Bob's Mill oats recipe lately. is it going to sound like a bit but the first step is not even buying Bob's oats just get store brand

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lpzie posted:

I've been perfecting my red Bob's Mill oats recipe lately. is it going to sound like a bit but the first step is not even buying Bob's oats just get store brand

lol i just looked and i have a giant bag of that brand of the 'extra thick' variety. i never cook oatmeal since the texture is too goopy so i thought these would be better (i like dry oats in granola) but i haven't touched them. what are good ways for this variety?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The secret for Bob's Red Mill is a little salt. That may not be a secret and on the package directions, I don't remember, but it makes a big difference.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I like them cause they're worker owned but I buy in bulk and balk at the prices

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

angerbeet posted:

The secret for Bob's Red Mill is a little salt. That may not be a secret and on the package directions, I don't remember, but it makes a big difference.

O_o, do people normally not put salt while cooking their oatmeal?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone got any good cold pasta/noodle recipes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wash bucket posted:

Antipasta salad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

wash bucket posted:

orzo, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, lots of fresh dill, dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, S+P, olives if you want

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Ive got octopus all cooked and ready to char, but I'm not sure how to season it. Every recipe I see seems nice and light but a little boring (oil, acid, salt pepper). Prob make a salad with the lettuce growing out back.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wash bucket posted:

celery onions bell pepper chicken breast miracle whip rotelle

e: pickles

e: also soba noodles are meant to be served cold and are tolerable

The Voice of Labor has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Jul 13, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AxGrap posted:

Ive got octopus all cooked and ready to char, but I'm not sure how to season it. Every recipe I see seems nice and light but a little boring (oil, acid, salt pepper).

Octopus is delicious, but its flavor is fairly delicate. A light dressing like that gives it a chance to be the star on the plate.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

mllaneza posted:

Octopus is delicious, but its flavor is fairly delicate. A light dressing like that gives it a chance to be the star on the plate.

You're probably right. the first time I made it I used gochujang and could never find the recipe again, I think it made me expect to find a lot of recipes like that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

wash bucket posted:

my extremely lazy pasta salad is

Box of rotini - cook it, strain, throw in the fridge
a few hours later

cut up
grape tomatos
cucumbers
feta chunks
Some some olives in there if you like.

idk just do however much you want

throw it in the bowl with the pasta

Top with either home made balsamic vinegarette or the vinegarette of your choice

Its very good and easy and you can eat left overs of it from the fridge for a few days.
Its super versatile and you can add/remove veggies and flavors very easily.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

e: also soba noodles are meant to be served cold and are tolerable

for each bunch, 2tbsp rice vinegar, 2tsp sugar, 2tsp sesame seeds, tsp sesame oil, 1/2tsp soy. top with literally whatever, the standard is sliced tomato and julienned omelette, deli ham, and cucumber.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
sesame oil toasted or no?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
toasted, definitely, it's finishing. don't kill yourself trying to find stuff specifically labeled toasted, though, plain normal kadoya or kikkoman or probably most east asian (definitely japanese) ones are and just don't feel the need to mention it.

oh, and a "bunch" is around 90-100g dry if you're getting a brand that doesn't come separated.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

teriyaki sauce and peanut butter. cheers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

obsessed with this british cooking group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/359449298384504

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There is something deeply wrong with the British.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's like the xbox 360/ps3 era color palette rendered in food form.

cole: they cookin' us a big ol' dinner

baird: you're gonna get dysentery from that dysentery

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

i get a creepy feeling about eating octopus they are way too intelligent

mystes
May 31, 2006

pandy fackler posted:

lots of animals we eat are pretty intelligent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the confluence of dumbest but yummiest animal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gotta be some sort of abalone

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

going with sheep. anything that can lose the fight for survival to a blackberry bush has got to be down there on the list

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

pandy fackler posted:

I had the same feeling the first time I made it but I was also unable to draw any moral line about what I could and couldn't eat that didn't end up with swearing off meat all together and I'm not prepared to do that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AxGrap posted:

I had the same feeling the first time I made it but I was also unable to draw any moral line about what I could and couldn't eat that didn't end up with swearing off meat all together and I'm not prepared to do that.

Squid is an easy substitute. Any Asian market will have squid tubes in their frozen section. One way I use them is to thaw them, cut into strips, blanche in boiling water for 1 minute, then use them to top a salad. Dead simple, super tasty.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

mllaneza posted:

Squid is an easy substitute. Any Asian market will have squid tubes in their frozen section. One way I use them is to thaw them, cut into strips, blanche in boiling water for 1 minute, then use them to top a salad. Dead simple, super tasty.

Agreed. I like preparing them from whole animals tho, I feel like having to do some of the dirty work really makes you appreciate the animal that died for you to eat a little more. I'm not a huge hippy about it, but I feel like it kinda brings you closer to the food if that makes sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AxGrap posted:

Agreed. I like preparing them from whole animals tho, I feel like having to do some of the dirty work really makes you appreciate the animal that died for you to eat a little more. I'm not a huge hippy about it, but I feel like it kinda brings you closer to the food if that makes sense.

Cleaning a squid can make you amazingly popular with your cats. You can also stuff a whole squid, which opens up vast possibilities for deliciousness.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

garden: tomato, shallot, basil, oregano, chili pepper :)

not garden: salt, olive oil :(

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

i say swears online posted:

oyster?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

i say swears online posted:

Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
It's a small thing but I have houseguests and one is my buddy that was for most of his life a "I don't like vegetables" guy, and I made up some massaged kale salad with oil and lemon juice and Parm , and roasted carrots in honey and oil and he loves them and it was a tiny personal victory for me. Veggies are good!