Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Matt141 posted:

Decided to start a second run where I focus on the north side of the map to see how that questline works on my own, though from what I have read saving him apparently doesn't stop the military from taking over the map, though I wonder if you can just delay their appearance by simply not going to the refugee camp when you are told to go there.

I think some of the stuff is triggered based on how many towns/mines you own. I got the 'go to the refugee camp' after maybe two towns, and 'rescue Biff' after three. The military invades immediately after the refugee camp ambush, so delaying that would be a good idea if you're not ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Deltasquid posted:

OK, seriously, gently caress the ghost fight. What the hell. There's just no good positioning.

as long as you get your people on the side of the bunker where they are not setting up the heavy machine guns you are pretty much golden. just kill the closest dudes on your first turn, which having a shotgun makes it pretty easy.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Blue On Blue posted:

this

so far the only way i have found to buy guns ammo or med supplies is the flea market

and i guess crafting bullets but i only have like 10 gun powder seems like it would use all that up in no time making 10 bullets :(

For one gun powder you make 50 bullets

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

yeah my hosed up trait is that I actually want to sit and sort through different helmet coverings and webbing after a minor engagement. I think it's why I ultimately never got very far in modded JA2.

I miss arranging my LBE and figuring out how many grenade vs magazine pouches and medkit pockets I want. Speaking of, I also miss loading up magazines and all that vs the squad ammo pool.

I know, I'm hosed in the head.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Deltasquid posted:

OK, seriously, gently caress the ghost fight. What the hell. There's just no good positioning.

Just spend your first turn running away as far as possible. They are slow on catching up and you can set up overlapping fields of overwatch that will shred them.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Spoilers for fleatown questline ending:

Has anyone done the questline involving this games kingpin analogue? I've just done his quest and feel like I missed something. Rescued Luigi (Jackhammer is a real piece of poo poo, hiding in his room getting automatic reaction shots with his AA-12) and headed back to the mansion. Get the option of supporting either Luigi or Kingpin but to be honest I feel like I don't really know why I would want to support one over the other. Choosing the option to support neither turns both groups hostile.

Played through twice, once signing with kingpin which seems to get me a bunch of loyalty with fleatown, some money and the promise of a future quest. The other time I killed them both, that fight is an absolute monster, as soon as you select the dialogue option you are insta-surrounded by over 20 guys, first time I did it my entire team was stood in the middle of the square and got absolutely evaporated on the first turn. You can cheese it pretty easy though since combat doesn't actually start until you talk to someone so I dropped some remote detonated TNT in the middle of both groups, ran everyone up to the roof and had my fastest merc initiate the conversation and the sprint up to the roof once combat starts. First turn I blow both of the TNT which absolutely decimates both groups and makes it actually winnable. Still got banged up real bad though because some of the dudes have a lot of health and can apparently take a TNT blast to the face and keep attaching. However after doing it I'm not sure its even a good idea? You get way less loyalty, and no one seems to care. Feels like you should get something for winning such a huge fight but it kinda seems like you don't? Feel like I missed some story beats here.

Game is cool, I miss the variety of 1.13 though. The gameplay is probably better than JA2 but its missing army man dressup simulator. I also don't love a lot of the outfits that mercs wear, some of em are look like goofy costumes. I made my team Raider, Raven, Wolf, Grizzly, Scope and an IMP focused on Medical/Explosive/Mechanical skills since they were the only mercs I could find who bothered to put a vest on.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Holy God, the shotguns in this game have actual range. I grudgingly bought the Auto-5 for sale in Fleatown for Barry to make better use of the ammo variety and holy poo poo, Barry is even more of a killing machine.

Love the guaranteed bleeding + Exposed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay after playing a whole lot more of this game (13 hours arleady sheesh) here is the single biggest tip I can give to anyone who is struggling: Learn how the Hidden status works.

Pressing H switches your soldiers into Stealth mode, which makes them Crouch (unless they are Shadow, who can stealth while standing/running) and gain the Hidden status. This is notably not the same thing as just "being out of line of sight" and understanding how it works is a huge, huge tool in your arsenal.

Your soldiers can go into Hidden status any time they are not currently visible to an enemy, this includes hiding while in combat. Doing so takes I think 2 AP? Maybe 3. Plus any cost necessary to crouch if you're not already crouched/prone.

While you are Hidden, the enemy cannot see you even if they have line of sight to you. They have to detect you before they can see you or take any actions targeting you (e.g. shooting at you).

The enemy can detect you if:
  • They get close to you
  • You fire a Stealth Attack at them and it does not kill the target - this includes both missed shots and non-fatal hits

As far as I know, using a Suppressor does not affect Hidden status - it reduces/removes the radius where enemies will hear your shot which places them into Alert status, but does not necessarily make them detect you.

In short, you can (and should, whenever you can) enter Stealth mode, including when you are in combat and not currently in line of sight to an enemy. This brings me to why this is so strong:

• Enemies cannot take any actions that target (or consider the position of) one of your units while it is Hidden.
  • If all six of your mercenaries are hidden, the enemy can't take any actions at all except running toward where they think you are
  • This is also true of mercenaries who are completely out of line of sight of enemies (the requirements for Hiding).

So for example, if your entire squad is hidden and you take a stealth headshot on a target and it kills that target, the enemy has not detected you and cannot take any hostile actions targeted at you even if you have alerted them. If there's a group of three enemies standing around looking at each other, you can stealth headshot one which will alert the enemies who saw him die and, here's the big part: they will run straight at you, wherever you shot from, not bothering to take cover along the way. They will also not enter Overwatch or anything else like that, literally the only thing they will do is blindly run straight at you. This includes e.g. Snipers who are on a tower - they will climb down the ladder off the tower and run straight at you.

So during combat, you can sneak around taking stealth headshots that instakill things they hit (mostly) without ever losing your Stealth status. When you miss, or get a non-fatal hit and lose your stealth status, all you need to do is crawl out of line of sight, wait for the next turn, and hide again.

If you keep your distance from enemies and use strong weapons capable of one-shotting them on stealth hits (i.e. single-shot rifles) you can effectively (and easily) clear almost every combat encounter in the game without the enemy ever having a chance to even fire their guns at you.

This even works in most cases where you get thrown into unexpected combat without the ability to position yourself - like the Ghost ambush? Just crawl out of line of sight and hide everyone on the first turn.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
You know how after you take Ernie Town, the Fort sends a squad to retaliate? Well, I was in the Rust when that happened, and got pulled into combat with the squad before I could make it back to the village. I just laid Grunty down in the road outside the bunker with the machine gun and he laid waste to the few survivors of a Barry Special when they came running towards the source of the explosion that killed 3/4 of their squad. Barry did the same thing to another squad heading for the port near the Diamond Red mine - killed 7 out of the 8 squad members and severely wounded the leader.

Barry Unger!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm tempted to turn off the mine depletion but I also kinda want to play "legit" the first time through just to see what was intended. I really prefer to play nice and slow and I love the infinite money endgame of JA2. I guess I'll see what happens.

Militia seems to be of pretty limited usefulness. My first two militia-only autoresolves were both predicted to be defeats, one of them turned into a win and the other was lost. Both had the full 8 militia but the win came on one that had 3 veterans, so I guess getting vets even right at the start is pretty useful. Expensive though, hence my thoughts about the mines.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Once I take Ernie, should I immediately go after the fort on the island, or should I train some militia, get that machine gun placement for Basil, and maybe find Herman, then go over to the mainland to secure a diamond mine first?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think mine depletion is probably less of a big deal when i'm done doing the 'exploring' of what's possible in the game and instead am gunning for important points and running multiple squads, etc.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There seems to be a bug with the perk "hit and run". It's suppose to give free movement when you score melee hits, but you can use the free movement to do more melee attacks. So if your merc is good at melee, you can kill anyone if you can get in range. Couple with the perk that gives grit (shield) when you score melee hit, you just become invincible as you go from enemy to enemy stabbing them all to death while tanking all the shots at you.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

Once I take Ernie, should I immediately go after the fort on the island, or should I train some militia, get that machine gun placement for Basil, and maybe find Herman, then go over to the mainland to secure a diamond mine first?

The bunker has a lot of useful weapons and I believe doing it first lowers the shield rating on the fort.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Unlucky7 posted:

The world is your oyster.

That said, the fort's function is to send out attack parties to reclaim territory. Other forts can also do this from the mainland, so bolstering Ernie's (and any other forts/towns/mines you take) defenses is pretty key. I am not sure if the MG is just there to make played out defenses easier or not, but you'll get plenty of MG42s.

You should definitely secure the island first. Doing so will take, like, a few hours, so it's not an issue for your bottom line. And unless you're on hell mode your money isn't that tight anyway.

Also something to keep in mind; only one or two mercs can actively train militia, and it's based off leadership. You could just hire some other merc and keep your brute squad trucking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The hospital at H12, the Sanatorium, is bugged.

When you get there, some zombies attack, and will attack you or the guards. Once you kill them all, the guards will identify the bodies as allies and turn hostile towards you lmao.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

The world is your oyster.

That said, the fort's function is to send out attack parties to reclaim territory. Other forts can also do this from the mainland, so bolstering Ernie's (and any other forts/towns/mines you take) defenses is pretty key. I am not sure if the MG is just there to make played out defenses easier or not, but you'll get plenty of MG42s.

You should definitely secure the island first. Doing so will take, like, a few hours, so it's not an issue for your bottom line. And unless you're on hell mode your money isn't that tight anyway.

Also something to keep in mind; only one or two mercs can actively train militia, and it's based off leadership. You could just hire some other merc and keep your brute squad trucking.

Since Ernie is on an island, if I capture the fort, does that mean that I do not need to train militia or can other forts send attack parties across the water?

I also do want to heal my current wounds (Got 3), but that would take about 5 hours with my team so it’s not prohibitive I think.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As far as I can tell, outside of a couple scripted story events the only thing enemy squads go after is enemy-controlled diamond mines to pick up diamond shipments. You only need to worry about defending the settlements that they pass through on the way - in practice for me this has meant that Fleatown is the only location they have ever passed through and it's the only place my militia have ever been in fights.

The only two scripted story events I've seen so far that sent a squad somewhere else was one squad that got sent on Ernie as part of the village defense, and the military squads rolling through after the big wave defense event in the north.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 17, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You really should not worry about mine depletion. It is not a real problem unless you are serially loving around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Urgh these darn mines at Emerald Beacham I just poo poo out of luck disarming any of them if my highest explosives is 45?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't tried but I assume that you can just shoot the mines to detonate them after you've detected them :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Urgh these darn mines at Emerald Beacham I just poo poo out of luck disarming any of them if my highest explosives is 45?

45 is not enough. Prioritize hiring an actual explosives expert. It is an important role.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Having a blast so far, Blood and my Imp scout and stab ahead, then fall back to wolf and grunties mg spot. Works everytime.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Since Ernie is on an island, if I capture the fort, does that mean that I do not need to train militia or can other forts send attack parties across the water?

I also do want to heal my current wounds (Got 3), but that would take about 5 hours with my team so it’s not prohibitive I think.

You will get attacked across water. You really don't need to worry about 5 hours lol, just explore the whole starting island, it has a lot of good quests and stuff to find. There's plenty of time.

deep dish peat moss posted:

As far as I can tell, outside of a couple scripted story events the only thing enemy squads go after is enemy-controlled diamond mines to pick up diamond shipments.

Forts generate random assaults on your controlled sectors just like JA2

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
One of those moments where its just basic AI stuff but it felt so much like a straight up spite action where I cleared most of Diamond Red and then in the last two guys one decided to chuck a pipe bomb right into a cluster of civilians.

I think the main complaint about the game I have right now is just the general UI jank. Its hard to click interactables, too easy to click others (love spending all my AP to close a door I was trying to go through). Also feel like half my problems with the stealth mechanic are just the UI.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Unlucky7 posted:

Attack teams can leave by ports (and path through ones held by you, too, for some reason) to attack Ernie. At the very least the one inland to the direct east of it will. Militia also just cost a little time and 800 bucks, ooooh, scary scary, so train them all the time.

Also you are too worried about time. You will have to stop twelve hours eventually to rest because your gang is tired. Contracts by default are measured in five days, and you can easily set them up for 14 days without worry, especially after a single mine. You have a time table in the form of several months, if even that.

deep dish peat moss posted:

As far as I can tell, outside of a couple scripted story events the only thing enemy squads go after is enemy-controlled diamond mines to pick up diamond shipments. You only need to worry about defending the settlements that they pass through on the way - in practice for me this has meant that Fleatown is the only location they have ever passed through and it's the only place my militia have ever been in fights.

The only two scripted story events I've seen so far that sent a squad somewhere else was one squad that got sent on Ernie as part of the village defense, and the military squads rolling through after the big wave defense event in the north.

nah forts specifically send out gangs; they're the white highlighted shields in their roster. the diamond crew is technically something else

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Holy gently caress do not go to the refugee camp to talk to Corazon until you are very, very ready, both strategically and tactically. It is very, very bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm about 3 months in to my main save (it's July 8th 2001) and I haven't seen a fort send an attack yet :kiddo:

edit: Oh, the shields on forts are their assault squads. If you do the objectives to remove the shields they stop sending squads, which is why I haven't seen any I guess (confirmed by the fact that if you mouseover the shields while they're empty, it says the fort has no assault squads). And apparently they only get sent from revealed forts? Because if there are any forts on the right side of the map they're not sending any at me.

These are the only moving squads I've seen all game long outside of the scripted ones, just diamond couriers that always take this same route (called "Diamond Shipment" in the squad name):

So I guess the answer is just make the objectives that remove shields a priority and you'll never need to defend anywhere but Fleatown (outside of the army arriving event and possibly any similar events later on)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 17, 2023

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Quick guide to raising loyalty in Port Cacao from personal experience:

The Port (K9):

• You can complete Headshot Hue's quest and pay him for the shotgun for +5.
  • Getting all of the Coffee Beans together actually does not grant you any loyalty.
  • But giving Ma Baxter's Argument Invalidator to Granny Cohani grants you +15 loyalty, and asking them to fight for you grants +10.

The Mine (K10):

• Talk to miners and you will hear about a night crew with guns. At night, talk to the foreman, with a Wisdom check he'll freak out that you've noticed the Major's forces there. Attack and kill the 4 fake miners for +10-15 or so.
  • You can then shoot the foreman guy for another +10.
  • Note that you can complete a prospecting operation to raise the mine income even further.

The Garbage dump (L9):

• Water the flower in the middle for +5
  • Talk about 75% of the people out of fighting for another +15 or so. It's mostly stat checks and loyalty checks. I was able to complete it around 45% loyalty IIRC.

The City (L8):

• If you rob the rich guy using an explosive you get + a few lol. There's an artifact in his safe behind the painting. Use the cash to buy stuff from the junk dealer, he's got some good crafting parts and grenades sometimes.
  • Handing over artifacts gives you + a few as well.
  • At high loyalty you can get intel on The Good Place.
  • You can likely convince the governor to fund the museum with a Negotiator, but I don't have one to test.

Port Cacao may also be a solid first target. It's not too challenging, except for one specific part that would be easier with foreknowledge. It seems quite easy to raise loyalty very quickly.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 20, 2023

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
So far I've gotten pipes from disassembling pistols at 100% condition twice, and disassembling a 98% condition pistol gave me nothing. Can anyone else confirm if the 100% condition seems to matter?

I'm playing on Ironman, which I somewhat regret. My IMP bled out after the fight at Red Mine went bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

So far I've gotten pipes from disassembling pistols at 100% condition twice, and disassembling a 98% condition pistol gave me nothing. Can anyone else confirm if the 100% condition seems to matter?

I'm playing on Ironman, which I somewhat regret. My IMP bled out after the fight at Red Mine went bad.

As far as I can tell pipes mostly come from whether or not the weapon has a preexisting modification that uses a pipe but it may also have an element of chance.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Waiting for the 7.62 mod (was that the name of the jagged alliance esque game ?)

As others have said I want to be swimming in guns parts ammo types and outfits

edit:

yep this one : https://store.steampowered.com/app/289890/762_High_Calibre/

i remember it having a metric fuckload of guns, gun mods, clothing, just 100's of poo poo to pick from

you could sit and play army man dress up for hours, it was glorious !

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 17, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Took over western Grand Chien and got to Refugee Camp part two but I think I am gonna restart. Things are going well but my perk selections and IMP build could have been better I think

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Pantagruel or Fleatown first, what do you guys think?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Pantagruel or Fleatown first, what do you guys think?

Fleatown is more centralized and gives you alot of control of the map.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just had an enemy assault path through that general area so Fleatown it is, cheers!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is the m1014 bugged or am I just misunderstanding how weapon mods work? the stock m1014 has -6 range and none of the mods seems to change it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is there a place to put my guns other than having someone (Steroid) be a mule for them?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
:frogbon:
https://i.imgur.com/VITRVJr.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,