Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
For anyone that travels a bit, what do you use for a travel kettle? Do you use one? Do you just get hot water somewhere? I've got my aeropress and my hand grinder but I'm realizing I've basically only used it at other people's houses where I know I have access to a kettle and a stove. Would be nice if it was plug in and easy to store, so no goosenecks and I'd also prefer stainless steel interior. Do any of the big names make one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Anybody with an Ode2 find they have to have it at full fine most of the time? Like, it’s just barely fine enough turned all the way CCW. V60’s are coming in at 2:50-3:00 using Hoffman’s technique. Using light roasts.

Have you recalibrated the burrs since you bought it? There’s a video from Fellow that shows how to do it but I don’t have it handy.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I hope this isn't a question asked too often (so feel free to berate me if it is), but is there ACTUALLY a grinder that can do a good job of running the gamut of different grinds from French press coarse to espresso (or, dare I dream, Turkish) fine? When I was first shopping ages ago, my Virtuoso was billed as being a solid choice for most grinds, but not so much for espresso shots. I desperately want to get a nice espresso machine so I can start practicing roasting darker and brewing shots, but I constantly get stymied by the space usage of buying an additional grinder for an already fairly bulky espresso machine (even the smallest ones are tough for our little kitchen). I don't mind spending money on the grinder. It's just space constraints that keep stopping me from pulling the trigger.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MASSIVEBoonus posted:

I hope this isn't a question asked too often (so feel free to berate me if it is), but is there ACTUALLY a grinder that can do a good job of running the gamut of different grinds from French press coarse to espresso (or, dare I dream, Turkish) fine? When I was first shopping ages ago, my Virtuoso was billed as being a solid choice for most grinds, but not so much for espresso shots. I desperately want to get a nice espresso machine so I can start practicing roasting darker and brewing shots, but I constantly get stymied by the space usage of buying an additional grinder for an already fairly bulky espresso machine (even the smallest ones are tough for our little kitchen). I don't mind spending money on the grinder. It's just space constraints that keep stopping me from pulling the trigger.

The issue isn't finding a grinder that can grind fine enough or coarse enough, the issue is the retention means you can never really go between extremes in a way that will give you good results. Even on the ultra-low retention grinders, there's enough retention and it's annoying enough trying to dial back in as you do both that most people don't bother.

For what it's worth I have two Eureka Mignon Chronos. One has the espresso burrs and the other the Filtro Pro burrs. I could absolutely go fine enough with the espresso burrs for Turkish - I ground fine enough on my first try to choke the espresso machine completely with no water exiting the basket at all. These two grinders are perfect for me and they're super cheap for what you get.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MASSIVEBoonus posted:

Would you be willing to run a hand grinder? They’re extremely compact, and you can get very nice (if tiring) results from the expensive ones.

The above poster talks about switching, which is a huge issue in general, unless each bag of coffee is gonna be used for one method. Then it might be doable.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MASSIVEBoonus posted:

Niche duo is an option. (You have to switch burrs for coffee vs espresso).

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Easychair Bootson posted:

Have you recalibrated the burrs since you bought it? There’s a video from Fellow that shows how to do it but I don’t have it handy.

I have not, thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The issue isn't finding a grinder that can grind fine enough or coarse enough, the issue is the retention means you can never really go between extremes in a way that will give you good results. Even on the ultra-low retention grinders, there's enough retention and it's annoying enough trying to dial back in as you do both that most people don't bother.

I guess this would explain some of the inconsistency I have been seeing with my espresso shots - I use the same grinder for moka pot coffee.

What's a good manual grinder for moka pot coffee?

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth I have two Eureka Mignon Chronos. One has the espresso burrs and the other the Filtro Pro burrs. I could absolutely go fine enough with the espresso burrs for Turkish - I ground fine enough on my first try to choke the espresso machine completely with no water exiting the basket at all. These two grinders are perfect for me and they're super cheap for what you get.

Ahhhhh, ok. This makes sense. The definite issue I have right now is how much space I can spare for more coffee equipment and that's been a struggle. I might need to try another approach.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Would you be willing to run a hand grinder? They’re extremely compact, and you can get very nice (if tiring) results from the expensive ones.

The above poster talks about switching, which is a huge issue in general, unless each bag of coffee is gonna be used for one method. Then it might be doable.

For some reason, I hadn't considered this option before. For the first couple years after I started drinking good coffee I actually had a hand grinder but because I was grinding for multiple servings every morning, I quickly justified an electric. But I didn't mind the workout and that would solve my space issue very easily. I also imagine grinding for a single or double shot would be the equivalent for grinding for a pour over or French press, so that wouldn't be unusually difficult. This might be my answer!

nwin posted:

Niche duo is an option. (You have to switch burrs for coffee vs espresso).

I like the look of that one. I'll do some more digging and see what I think. I like the look and the size seems more compact than most.

Bonus question here. I've heard some people purge their grinders occasionally with dried parboiled rice to clean the burrs and reduce oil buildup but that sounds crazy...Right? I don't understand why you would do that when you could just tear the thing down and clean the burrs with a brush, but I'm open to new ideas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SlinkyMink posted:

Bonus question here. I've heard some people purge their grinders occasionally with dried parboiled rice to clean the burrs and reduce oil buildup but that sounds crazy...Right? I don't understand why you would do that when you could just tear the thing down and clean the burrs with a brush, but I'm open to new ideas.

https://urnex.com/grindz-grinder-cleaning-tablets

Because it takes 30 seconds to do it this way and much longer to take the machine apart and then reseat the burrs.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Jhet posted:

https://urnex.com/grindz-grinder-cleaning-tablets

Because it takes 30 seconds to do it this way and much longer to take the machine apart and then reseat the burrs.

That makes sense. And parboiled rice is a good option for cleaning, then?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SlinkyMink posted:

That makes sense. And parboiled rice is a good option for cleaning, then?

It’s not going to be ideal honestly. Rice can be really hard, even when parboiled. Just get the Urnex Grindz or there’s a product called Full Circle Grinder Cleaner. They’re $20, but it takes me over a year to use the whole canister on two grinders once a month. Well worth the time saved.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jhet posted:

It’s not going to be ideal honestly. Rice can be really hard, even when parboiled. Just get the Urnex Grindz or there’s a product called Full Circle Grinder Cleaner. They’re $20, but it takes me over a year to use the whole canister on two grinders once a month. Well worth the time saved.

What are some of the tasting notes for those two? Almond? Peaches?

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Jhet posted:

Cool! Appreciate the input. I'll check that out.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

What are some of the tasting notes for those two? Almond? Peaches?

Cereal

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Crunchy with a hint of wheat and oat, like a less satisfying mini-wheat.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why, when you order a latte, do an austrian barista put the milk in first? and why do they steam it to the same consistency as a cappuccino? what a weird country

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What product do folks use for cleaning/polishing the chrome on their coffee machines?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What product do folks use for cleaning/polishing the chrome on their coffee machines?

I've never used it on a coffee machine but barkeeper's friend works well for cleaning and polishing chrome fixtures in the bathroom

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use that to get burnt-on crud off my stainless pans but I'd worry it'd be too aggressive for this. I only want something for the regular water marks that build up. So far I've just been wiping firmly with a cloth but I don't know how long that'll remain effective.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
A little dish soap and a microfiber cloth works well for me.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

PortobelloPirate posted:

A little dish soap and a microfiber cloth works well for me.

I make a spray bottle with a few drips of Dawn Ultra dish soap and water and use that with a tea towel to clean the exterior of my espresso machine. It comes out great every time.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I just use stainless steel cleaner. Works wonderfully. That’ll vary by machine thought I imagine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

I guess this would explain some of the inconsistency I have been seeing with my espresso shots - I use the same grinder for moka pot coffee.

What's a good manual grinder for moka pot coffee?

Any of them will do, just make sure to grind a little finger than you would a v60.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I have a Baratza Encore (and have for a very long time). It serves well, it's a great grinder, but I'm starting to want to change it up.

My question: how are the Opus grinders and how do they compare to the Baratzas?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

fawning deference posted:

I have a Baratza Encore (and have for a very long time). It serves well, it's a great grinder, but I'm starting to want to change it up.

My question: how are the Opus grinders and how do they compare to the Baratzas?

Isn’t the opus meant for espresso? In any case, it has a lower build quality than the Ode.

Why do you want to change it up?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I picked up a very cheap sale Ode gen 1 to replace my ancient Encore and immediately got something more attractive, quieter, and more convenient to use.

Could I have gone in and dealt with whatever was making the Encore grind inconsistent? Sure, but I am extremely happy with this for my (non-espresso) needs.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I use that to get burnt-on crud off my stainless pans but I'd worry it'd be too aggressive for this. I only want something for the regular water marks that build up. So far I've just been wiping firmly with a cloth but I don't know how long that'll remain effective.

My wife cleans our wine glasses with a little white vinegar and a cloth. You can dilute the vinegar a little if you don't like the smell, but it absolutely strips away mineral residue and water marks. Our glasses are literally spotless with just a little wiping. I also use 1:1 lemon juice diluted with water to descale my kettle and it works instantly with one pass every time. I prefer the lemon juice here since I don't like the smell of the vinegar and if there's gonna be a smell in my kettle, I prefer lemon fresh scent.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlinkyMink posted:

My wife cleans our wine glasses with a little white vinegar and a cloth. You can dilute the vinegar a little if you don't like the smell, but it absolutely strips away mineral residue and water marks. Our glasses are literally spotless with just a little wiping. I also use 1:1 lemon juice diluted with water to descale my kettle and it works instantly with one pass every time. I prefer the lemon juice here since I don't like the smell of the vinegar and if there's gonna be a smell in my kettle, I prefer lemon fresh scent.

This is it. Water marks are mineral deposits and the way to remove them is to harness the power of chemistry (a diluted acid like vinegar or lemon juice). Feel free to dilute away if you are worried about your surfaces, it doesn't take much to dissolve water marks.

It's the acid in BKF that gets rid of water marks.

You can buy citric acid powder also if you want something that won't have any smell. Those pre-measured coffee descaler packets are mostly citric acid.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 16, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

nwin posted:

Isn’t the opus meant for espresso? In any case, it has a lower build quality than the Ode.

Why do you want to change it up?

I would just like to try something else, I've had a Baratza forever. It's also really loud in the mornings and the Opus is much quieter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I would just like to try something else, I've had a Baratza forever. It's also really loud in the mornings and the Opus is much quieter.

Yeah the fellow ode is much quieter and faster than the baratza virtuoso I replaced it with.

Nothing wrong with switching up to switch up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

nwin posted:

Yeah the fellow ode is much quieter and faster than the baratza virtuoso I replaced it with.

Nothing wrong with switching up to switch up.

Maintenance, consistency, keeping it clean, how does it stack up there?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I like my Opus - it’s much quieter with better build quality than the Encore. The lid has measurements for which grind setting to use for each specific type of brew, which is something I had to look up often whenever I changed it on my Encore.

I definitely wish the Opue was stepless for espresso and didn’t require taking the hopper off for minor adjustments, although I don’t make adjustments often - I tend to do longer pre-infused turbo shots. Retention is okay - Encore was better about that. Opus is easier to clean and pull out the burrs.

Eagerly awaiting for my TimeMore Sculptor 064s to ship. I’ll probably relegate the Opus to pourover.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 17, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maintenance, consistency, keeping it clean, how does it stack up there?

I’ve only had it for about a month but it’s been better than the baratza for consistency. For cleanliness, my barazta’s grounds bin would always walk itself out which would leave grinds everywhere. The ode is better because it can’t move around.

For maintenance, the baratza was pretty easy. Easy to remove the hopper, one screw for the top conical cone I think…not bad.

The ode has 4 plate screws to undo, then that comes off and you can get to the flat burrs. From what I’ve read you shouldn’t have to do that much if ever unless it gets clogged up or you’re switching burrs.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

nwin posted:

I’ve only had it for about a month but it’s been better than the baratza for consistency. For cleanliness, my barazta’s grounds bin would always walk itself out which would leave grinds everywhere. The ode is better because it can’t move around.

For maintenance, the baratza was pretty easy. Easy to remove the hopper, one screw for the top conical cone I think…not bad.

The ode has 4 plate screws to undo, then that comes off and you can get to the flat burrs. From what I’ve read you shouldn’t have to do that much if ever unless it gets clogged up or you’re switching burrs.

Sounds like a good switch to me. And yes, if it's more work to get in there and give it a good clean out or re-calibrate, I don't mind a little more effort once in a while in exchange for a quieter, cleaner, more consistent grinder. Thanks!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you for the chrome cleaning suggestions, I will try vinegar.

Next up, can anyone recommend a tamping stand? I've been having the filter slide off the edge of the counter top. I'm looking for one that doesn't have all sorts of additional spaces for storage of tampers and so on, just something to hold the filter. I've had a look on Amazon and whilst there seems to be examples they are all pretty high priced, very similar to one another, with long lead times and no reviews so I am suspicious. It feels like maybe some suppliers are testing the market or just making a ridiculous mark up on things drop shipped from China.

The main requirement that I've got, which has disqualified some, is that my current filter spout goes off to the side, like so:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think this type is the smallest you can get. If I had to guess, you can't cut off the tamp storage bit since it needs the mass & surface area to not slide around.

This should accommodate the spout no problem.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

I think this type is the smallest you can get. If I had to guess, you can't cut off the tamp storage bit since it needs the mass & surface area to not slide around.

This should accommodate the spout no problem.

For the sake of £6 on Amazon, this was what I got first but it's no good if the edge of the counter top is rounded as mine is - it just slips off.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There's no tamp mat for a rounded edge counter, sorry. What about a tamp stand?

There are some good looking wooden ones, and it looks like the smallest I can find is this

E: there are wooden of that style too, thank goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

There's no tamp mat for a rounded edge counter, sorry. What about a tamp stand?

There are some good looking wooden ones, and it looks like the smallest I can find is this

E: there are wooden of that style too, thank goodness

A tamp stand was what I'd asked about above - that sort of thing looks good but I'd also want to be able to accomodate a bottomless portafilter when I get one. I was mainly asking in case anyone here has one they recommend.