Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Besides being generally charming as hell, Wandersong has a whole bunch of female characters, both major and background, and I appreciate that a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Jagged Alliance 3 is just a modern JA2 with a new story and my god of that isn't tickling me pink. In love with Livewire :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morpheus posted:

Syndicate also was during the time when multiplayer modes were bolted onto anything and everything, no one played it, and so immediately that mode became dead weight for the game.

I never played it but apparently the co-op mode was extremely good.

It wouldn't need much of a touch up, it is still a really nice looking game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You can't buy it anywhere! Even the torrents I've found are doubtful with no seeders. I'm getting real FOMO right now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Kitfox88 posted:

Jagged Alliance 3 is just a modern JA2 with a new story and my god of that isn't tickling me pink. In love with Livewire :allears:

Is it??

I had rock bottom expectations for that game. JA2 is an experience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Morpheus posted:

Syndicate also was during the time when multiplayer modes were bolted onto anything and everything, no one played it, and so immediately that mode became dead weight for the game.

Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer lmao.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a lot of little things I love in Final Fantasy XVI but the littlest thing is probably how they replicated and included all the classic PS1 era summon animations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Morpheus posted:

Spec ops: the line and its multiplayer mode that completely missed the point

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

credburn posted:

Is it??

I had rock bottom expectations for that game. JA2 is an experience.

It's getting real good reviews and after the initial baby mode island (2-3 hours of play) I'm Invested Baby. It's got some bugs but idk how many are jank and how many are just the fact that my gaming HDD is finally dying after like a decade. :negative:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Spec ops: the line and its multiplayer mode that completely missed the point

I think the director of Spec Ops called the multiplayer something like "a festering tumour on the disc".
He wasn't a fan.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

The Chad Jihad posted:

It is pretty weird isn't it? Like if they made a god of war clone based off of Populous and it was actually pretty high budget and decent for what it was, but the world collectively decided to forget about it

Oh poo poo, I haven't even thought about Populous for...20+ years. That was a great game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh poo poo, I haven't even thought about Populous for...20+ years. That was a great game.

I enjoyed the God of War clone of it more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was another bloom grey shooter at the time of probably peak bloom grey/brown shooter saturation that blatantly had nothing to do with the game it took its name from, using the name of one of the beloved classics by a developer EA had bought up and destroyed years ago.

Back then it was basically the equivalent of yet another open world survival crafting game with stealth elements and gear scores and always-online multiplayer right about now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was another bloom grey shooter at the time of probably peak bloom grey/brown shooter saturation that blatantly had nothing to do with the game it took its name from, using the name of one of the beloved classics by a developer EA had bought up and destroyed years ago.

Back then it was basically the equivalent of yet another open world survival crafting game with stealth elements and gear scores and always-online multiplayer right about now.

yeah, the reaction was understandable, and it was before the current glut of loving revivals of old games so it was taken as a betrayal even though it was p solid.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like we may have had somewhat different experiences of Populous...

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

SerthVarnee posted:

It was so good. Good gameplay and tons of style in its visuals, felt like it wore the RTS/god game tropes (here’s your worker, here’s your preacher, etc) more lightly and with a better sense of humour than a lot of other games.

Doesn’t seem to have had much of an cultural afterlife though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Octopath Traveler 2, Throne's special power allows her to take two turns instead of one. But if you kill the dude on her first turn, she'll keep her power for the next encounter, even after you activate it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm playing through Dave the Diver right now. When I was a little kid, I got to go to a marine biology camp that took us out to go fossil hunting in tide pools, went over the different kinds of fish in the sea, and by the end of it we each dissected a small squid that the college(?) it was at also offered to fry up for us when we were finished (I took them up on that offer, and ate a shitload of fried squid that day lol)

DtD feels like a game that was made by one of the other kids from that marine biology camp, and it was made specifically for the other fuckin nerds that chose to go to a marine biology camp during the summer instead of literally anything else. I've got a notebook that I'm writing down fish facts in so I can try and tell them apart while roaming around underwater with my little harpoon and knife. Only thing missing is Dave himself stealing the cooking/eating mechanic from MGS3 so we can find out exactly how all these different fish taste. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

moosecow333 posted:

One of my favorite things about Black Flag is how Edward spends a solid 85% of the game actively avoiding becoming an Assassin until it aligned with his interests.

Really drove home the ‘gently caress you got mine’ vibe of piracy.

Not only that but he spends the vast majority of the game desperately running from the plot until tragically it catches up with him and forces him to engage with it, which is tragic, because he dies for it. It's really funny how two-thirds of the game are just different characters begging Edward to give a poo poo about something one way or the other and he just shouts NO and gets back on his boat.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

bawk posted:

I'm playing through Dave the Diver right now. When I was a little kid, I got to go to a marine biology camp that took us out to go fossil hunting in tide pools, went over the different kinds of fish in the sea, and by the end of it we each dissected a small squid that the college(?) it was at also offered to fry up for us when we were finished (I took them up on that offer, and ate a shitload of fried squid that day lol)

DtD feels like a game that was made by one of the other kids from that marine biology camp, and it was made specifically for the other fuckin nerds that chose to go to a marine biology camp during the summer instead of literally anything else. I've got a notebook that I'm writing down fish facts in so I can try and tell them apart while roaming around underwater with my little harpoon and knife. Only thing missing is Dave himself stealing the cooking/eating mechanic from MGS3 so we can find out exactly how all these different fish taste. :allears:

I had this exact same experience in middle school! :allears: Including the fried squid (which I refused to try, ha)....their beaks freaked me out so badly. :stare:

I see the game's coming out on Switch later this year, so on my wishlist it goes!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked Black Flag's weird meta present-day bits where you're a code monkey for a huge gaming company making assassin games based on animus reports

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I had this exact same experience in middle school! :allears: Including the fried squid (which I refused to try, ha)....their beaks freaked me out so badly. :stare:

I see the game's coming out on Switch later this year, so on my wishlist it goes!

Ha! I had the same reservation as a like 7-8 year old until one of the staff said "chickens have beaks, you gonna stop eating mcnuggets?" At that moment in my little kid brain, I could I either turn vegetarian or embrace calamari, and like hell was I giving up nuggets because a fish had a beak

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

I liked Black Flag's weird meta present-day bits where you're a code monkey for a huge gaming company making assassin games based on animus reports

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

bawk posted:

Ha! I had the same reservation as a like 7-8 year old until one of the staff said "chickens have beaks, you gonna stop eating mcnuggets?" At that moment in my little kid brain, I could I either turn vegetarian or embrace calamari, and like hell was I giving up nuggets because a fish had a beak

Post/Av combo like drat

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm replaying through Metroid Dread right now, which is just a great game all around, but one of the things I'm appreciating this time around is how fast all of the boss fights are. Bosses can kill you in 3-5 hits (even fewer on hard), so they feel like a real threat, but once you know what you're doing, it's possible to kill a good chunk of them in a minute or less. There are no marathon fights where you can go for ten minutes only to die while the boss has a pixel of health left; you know the result quick.

Every boss ends up following a similar trajectory where on the first couple attempts you get completely owned in the first 30 seconds, then you start figuring out their pattern on attempts 3-5, and then by attempt 6-8 or so you completely own them and you feel like a total badass. And all of this happens in 15ish minutes or less. It's a really interesting approach to boss design and more games ought to try it.

TheOneAndOnlyT has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Jul 18, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's an incredibly good rhythm to bosses, especially given how many Nintendo boss fights seem to mostly waste your time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It feels like far too many games follow roughly this design process for their bosses:

1. This boss should feel special.
2. That means cinematics, big set pieces that interact with the environment, and multiple phase changes.
3. Naturally, we trigger boss events (cinematics, etc) at certain health thresholds.
4. Triggering those things every five seconds would feel terrible
5. Therefore, there's a minimum amount of time that must pass between events, and if the player is too fast then we just freeze the boss's health and refuse to proceed.

Meanwhile, the player on attempt #3 is saying "for the love of all that is holy, please let me just get to the part that killed me in less than an hour."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like it when games let you own bosses so hard that you can completely bypass their phase transitions altogether, ideally cutting them off mid-taunt as they vaporize into thin air.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I like it when games let you own bosses so hard that you can completely bypass their phase transitions altogether, ideally cutting them off mid-taunt as they vaporize into thin air.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4P2N5fyqbo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

FFV's Exdeath wasn't immune to Berserk being applied through the Chemist class, so it was possible to make him so angry he forgot to be eaten by the void. Good times.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randalor posted:

FFV's Exdeath wasn't immune to Berserk being applied through the Chemist class, so it was possible to make him so angry he forgot to be eaten by the void. Good times.

I think in FF4 being berserk’d meant you were immune to Doom. The timer would still count down and hit zero but you’d never actually die.

Can’t for the life of me remember if we ever were able to test that outside of FF4 Free Enterprise though, there’s like two enemies in the game that cast Doom and they rarely live long enough for the timer to hit zero, if the spell even connects at all. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think it's a little more complicated than that, but yeah, there's a number of setups that will just keep Countdown from ever progressing once it hits zero. Since the enemies that use it have no other offense, that makes those fights free.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

FFX has a mid-game boss that's Undead, so you can kill it near-instantly just by throwing two Phoenix Downs at it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

bawk posted:

I'm playing through Dave the Diver right now

Oh my god. I thought the game was about David Shaw.
:psyduck:
I've been avoiding the game because I thought it would be a grimdark sadness simulator. Thank you for this post.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Post poste posted:

Oh my god. I thought the game was about David Shaw.
:psyduck:
I've been avoiding the game because I thought it would be a grimdark sadness simulator. Thank you for this post.

It's quite good! The game gives you some clearly defined goals, but one other thing it does is it will let you progress a goal only a little bit, then give you the excuse "sorry come back tomorrow we have to check this thingy out" so you don't forget the real core of the game: catching a fish with your net gun so you can make a curry so good it makes a drunk fish farmer experience the end of Disney's Ratatouille (2007)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FFX has a mid-game boss that's Undead, so you can kill it near-instantly just by throwing two Phoenix Downs at it.

I feel like this is practically a series staple. You can do it to the train in FF6, for example, though of course you should wait until after you've suplexed it. I want to say there's a boss you can do this to in 5, and I know you can do it in Mystic Quest, twice.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

In a similar vein, X-Zone in FFVI can instantly kill most anything in the game, including most bosses if you cast Vanish on them first. Now this isn't all that useful generally speaking because it doesn't result in any xp/gold/items dropping. However, X-Zone does have one very funny use regarding bosses. If you cast it on Wrexsoul, it one-shots him 100% of the time and you get full credit. I looked up the mechanics of his fight a few years back and think was intended to be a bit of a tough fight, but I've never beaten him the 'legit' way.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem the game has many flaws, bugs and UI is obviously meant for a mouse and keyboard with little thought given to a console player's UX. However, it also does many things right, and what I most like about the skills is that summoning skills are mostly passive, i.e., the creatures are being summoned simply by having a skill equipped, amd automatically. It also has shrines that let you summon a monster to fight alongside you - it makes no sense, but it's really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like this is practically a series staple. You can do it to the train in FF6, for example, though of course you should wait until after you've suplexed it. I want to say there's a boss you can do this to in 5, and I know you can do it in Mystic Quest, twice.

I swear 8 had a similar thing too. Though it may have just been heals and not phoenix down that worked cant remember