Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Can someone link a timeline chart of Russian foreign currency and gold reserves? I want to try to compare this to past shocks.

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/gold-reserves

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/foreign-exchange-reserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm sure this will be great for future investment in Russia

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1680642137757569025

https://www.ft.com/content/95530b86-dd98-4f26-b115-3f6e8cca6ce5

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I can't believe America forced his hand like this

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

Carlsberg basically wrote off their Russian investments in April :

https://www.carlsberggroup.com/newsroom/accounting-impact-of-developments-in-russia-and-ukraine-and-new-earnings-guidance/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

huh, i never realized that baltika had been acquired by a foreign group, though i guess that's pretty much par for the course in the macrobrew industry

i guess that does explain why tuborg and zatecky gus are the other decent-ish beer you can reliably find in the former USSR

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-social-media-war-hero-accused-stolen-valor-in-ukraine-2023-7?amp

Article here goes into detail about how James Vasquez basically faked his volunteer experience in Ukraine.

We used to watch his tweets here last may.

He apparently faked his entire military career.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah that's come out several times over at this point and iirc even NYT reported on it at one point

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kraftwerk posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-social-media-war-hero-accused-stolen-valor-in-ukraine-2023-7?amp

Article here goes into detail about how James Vasquez basically faked his volunteer experience in Ukraine.

We used to watch his tweets here last may.

He apparently faked his entire military career.

Hi Peg Leg! :)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Sounds like last week was a good week to drive out of Crimea and right now it's a good time to sit and hope the bridge reopens again

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1680762931674226690

Looks like it was damaged again.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

I had to check the date on this

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Multiple videos out, but they're not that clear.

Video removed.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 17, 2023

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Multiple videos out, but they're not that clear.

Thanks for posting a bunch of dead or dieing civilians in a car.

Ik edit: removed nsfw video from quote

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 17, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah that second video on the OSINT tweet is not good stuff. Tag your post right dude.

EDIT: Oh good, you did.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 17, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

adebisi lives posted:

Thanks for posting a bunch of dead or dieing civilians in a car.

Sorry, legit did not see that. Had a hard time seeing anything in these videos.

Removed the link in the original post, would appreciate it you removed the link in the quote.

stir up trouble
Mar 14, 2022

Ynglaur posted:

Hi Peg Leg! :)

maybe he deleted the posts but basically every photo pegleg posted included him wearing black rifle coffee gear so its probably for the best we haven't heard from him itt

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Just a day or two ago I was reading an article about Ukraine's desire to cut the bridge but that they didn't have permission to use western cruise missiles to do it. I wonder what happened this time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My understanding is it's probably the biggest strategic target in the occupied territories. I'm very curious about the extent of the damage.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bridge Most Likely To Randomly Explode

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Just a day or two ago I was reading an article about Ukraine's desire to cut the bridge but that they didn't have permission to use western cruise missiles to do it. I wonder what happened this time.

They could have used their naval drones

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Discendo Vox posted:

My understanding is it's probably the biggest strategic target in the occupied territories. I'm very curious about the extent of the damage.

At least one span

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

You've lost another Kerch bridge?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

They could have used their naval drones

Whatever it was, if it knocked out a span it was something very powerful. Would a drone be enough?

Given Ukrainian knowhow it's not even out of question that they would have built a special version of Neptun for the job.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

The Kerch Bridge is essentially two parallel bridges, a road bridge and a rail bridge. Strategically, wouldn't the rail bridge be the most important one? From what I can seen in the videos it appears it's probably the road bridge that's hit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Whatever it was, if it knocked out a span it was something very powerful. Would a drone be enough?

Given Ukrainian knowhow it's not even out of question that they would have built a special version of Neptun for the job.

Ukraine has drone boats and you could pack a lot of explosives into that

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Drakhoran posted:

The Kerch Bridge is essentially two parallel bridges, a road bridge and a rail bridge. Strategically, wouldn't the rail bridge be the most important one? From what I can seen in the videos it appears it's probably the road bridge that's hit.

Did they ever fully restore the rail bridge that got hit last year?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drakhoran posted:

Hard to tell, but it’s possible there’s only videos of the road bridge because it’d be a lot harder for civilians to get footage of the rail bridge.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ukraine has drone boats and you could pack a lot of explosives into that

But are they any good at damaging bridges?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tiny Timbs posted:

Hard to tell, but it’s possible there’s only videos of the road bridge because it’d be a lot harder for civilians to get footage of the rail bridge.

If it took out both it must have been one hell of an explosion.

Edit: To give an idea, this is what it looks like:

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Big enough to pack a couple of hundred kilos of explosives so probably

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bremen posted:

If it took out both it must have been one hell of an explosion.

Edit: To give an idea, this is what it looks like:

The prior truck-bound IED attack caused significant damage to both spans. It's certainly possible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Dunno, but they're apparently not very good at damaging warships.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did they ever fully restore the rail bridge that got hit last year?
In one of the video clips, you can see a train going across the rail bridge in the background, so it’s been at least partially restored.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stir up trouble posted:

.... wearing black rifle coffee gear...

:chloe: :barf: :chloe: Bugger that.

---------------------

Nice to see the bridge out of action in any form, eternal confusion to their logistical deployments.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

https://twitter.com/Israel1Il/statu...mber%3D641pti15

Guess there's the answer, missiles

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
iirc the rail bridge was restored and operable (possibly at reduced weight) in relatively short order. I think a footing support would need to be taken out for it to become genuinely difficult to repair.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaUIyvy8E8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Crossposting, looks like it was a pair of cruise missiles. What air defense doing?

https://twitter.com/Israel1Il/status/1680790711170375681?s=20

e.f.b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

mllaneza posted:

What air defense doing?

let's let history be the guide: expected to defend the bridge with broke rear end equipment whose functionality hasn't been properly accounted for since you could catch the clash on tour, then more and more of what they even had probably got skated off to the front as replacement gear, until eventually they're a handful of beleaguered insomniacs standing there holding glorified flyswatters and 100% of the culpability for anything getting through