Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Night10194 posted:

The problem is 'we want to sneak our own vision in there' coming from people whose past body of work shows their vision isn't very good.

James is a pedophile now

Edit: his wife was also a murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Also LOL at doing the "you did a bad thing" with Blair Witch of all things. Bloober stinks.

Blair Witch wasn't that bad. The ending in the house was spooky. Observer was also pretty good. The medium and layers of fear 2 stink.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Instant Grat posted:

My big Resident Evil safari has reached RE0 after going through REmake, RE2make, RE3make, and the PS3 release of Code Veronica (thank god the PS3 store still technically works)

The bat boss sucked mondo rear end and I wish they'd give me an item box, but the 4:3 prerendered background static camera thing still totally owns. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to from the Steam reviews

E: Also gently caress the leech mimics

RE fans are wrong about hating RE0

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the biggest pitfall of an SH2 remake is if you get one part wrong, it all goes wrong. dead space was just a pretty good shooter with an “event horizon + zombies” coat of paint, there was plenty of room for innovation and little risk in sticking to the formula, but every part of SH2’s vaunted atmosphere relies on every other part - the muted and spacy voice acting, the animatronic monster design, the sopping wet environmental presentation. the “nightmare” regions are far more subdued than most other horror games and the characters drag themselves through them with detached exhaustion. none of this is a good fit for Bloober, who have what can kindly be called a maximalist approach when they’re not straight-up plagiarizing everything

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

veni veni veni posted:

Blair Witch wasn't that bad. The ending in the house was spooky. Observer was also pretty good. The medium and layers of fear 2 stink.

I thought the Medium was actually good up until the big reveal of dude sexually assaulting a kid, and then the story taking you into this pedophile's brain to show that you the reason he did was it nazi germany killing his jewish childhood crush! Wow! What the actual gently caress??? That part, and the ending. I did actually like that the initial cutscene where the protag seems to be talking about someone was foreshadowing her sitting down to explain it to someone that actually happens later on.

But yeah gently caress the ending. Ugh. Even worse since it's basically just Trolley Problem but you kill yourself or the rape victim, and even if you kill yourself you still left the rape victim to deal with the horrible psychic monstrosity stuck in her head till she dies while also dealing with the guilt that her sister killed herself for her.

What the actual gently caress did I just type out? jfc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never even got the far. I just thought the whole thing was super boring and quit after about 4 hours

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Professor Wayne posted:

RE fans are wrong about hating RE0

i agree. that leech man is loving creepy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

There are plenty of other issues, but in some respects the Lakeview Cabin IP does this.

It does but Lakeview is just in another world entirely in its vision

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing the OG Dead Space and this turret section can eat my butt to smithereens

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sponges posted:

I’m playing the OG Dead Space and this turret section can eat my butt to smithereens

God, that sucked. Maybe Bloober Team can take some solace in not having created a gameplay moment that was that bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sponges posted:

pretty sure it's doing exactly that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxxidation posted:

the biggest pitfall of an SH2 remake is if you get one part wrong, it all goes wrong. dead space was just a pretty good shooter with an “event horizon + zombies” coat of paint, there was plenty of room for innovation and little risk in sticking to the formula, but every part of SH2’s vaunted atmosphere relies on every other part - the muted and spacy voice acting, the animatronic monster design, the sopping wet environmental presentation. the “nightmare” regions are far more subdued than most other horror games and the characters drag themselves through them with detached exhaustion. none of this is a good fit for Bloober, who have what can kindly be called a maximalist approach when they’re not straight-up plagiarizing everything

You're correct, there's a lot of "subtlety," for lack of a better term in the Silent Hill games. It's all just atmosphere and nothing was really in your face but god drat did they ramp up the tension. SH1 and 2 are Slow Burn: The Game, but everything Bloober does is more in line with like modern horror films with vibrant colors and a jump scare around every turn.

Another place where I feel a remake will ruin the game is the ugliness. Silent Hill 2, (and 1, but that's not getting a remake) looks like dogshit in HD, they're one of the few games where I think being in ugly and in standard definition allows your brain to fill in a lot of the gaps. I know there's a really good "Enhanced edition" that has high res textures and all that, but it makes the game way too clear. I dunno, maybe it's my old brain being dumb but a lot of creepiness of SH1 and 2 was letting my imagination go wild when it came to filling in the details. I'm really liking the recent renaissance of PSX style indie horror.

sponges posted:

If you're on PC, just do this with a mouse, it trivializes the whole thing. I swear to god they had to have designed this with a mouse in mind because it's awful on a controller. I'm so glad they aborted that poo poo with the remake.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

I agree there isn't much to be optimistic about with SH2. Just saying that those statements are mostly pretty standard for remakes. The big issue is that a lot of people don't like the developer to begin with, not that they plan on putting their own spin on parts of the game.

Bloobers recent output has been straight up rear end so I'm not holding my breath for it to be good, but I do think they have had ok moments, so I might not trust them to pull it off but I guess I'm low key rooting for them to make something that doesn't suck.

I'd love it if they could do a good job of it but I have 0 confidence that they will based on past output

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Morpheus posted:

James is a pedophile now

Edit: his wife was also a murderer

James repeatedly walks up and down the same hallway to see Laura running into a wall over and over

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SH2 is a good example of working within limitations to produce something better looking because the infamous fog layer looked really great on tube televisions and absolutely horrible in HD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sigher posted:

If you're on PC, just do this with a mouse, it trivializes the whole thing. I swear to god they had to have designed this with a mouse in mind because it's awful on a controller. I'm so glad they aborted that poo poo with the remake.

I played it on PS3 and never had any problems with that section. Iirc it's randomly generated so you may get a smooth ride or you may get just blasted in a way that you don't stand a chance

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I was such a huge fan of Silent Hill 1 when it came out that when I first saw the previews for 2, I was actually let down since I thought it'd be more of the rust-and-cult of the first game. I got my wish with 3 on that, but I did immediately love 2 when I played it because of how intense the horror ended up being from the other direction. 2 was a much more slow, suffocating, 'drowning' kind of horror, compared to 1 being a lot more heated and menacing in its approach.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be honest I feel like SH2's success ended up being kind of a poison pill for the series because so many of the later games end up trying to recapture that magic rather than doing something new. It's an odd thing where at some point someone got it in their head that Silent Hill's "thing" is that it's an evil town that reflects the protagonist's own traumas back at them but of the original Team Silent games it was actually just SH2 that was like that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tbf evil, sentient towns who hate and lure people to them like a venus flytrap rules as a concept

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played Barotrauma, which I think constitutes a horror game, but also is just one of those comedies where everything absolutely goes wrong and aliens tear everything apart. Poke having your reactor run out of fuel just as you're watching a pack of sonar pings rush towards the ship, or trying to repair things without realizing that there's something in the ballasts absolutely tearing poo poo apart. Or when, after fighting a husk of a person being puppeted by a parasitic organism, you suddenly realize there's something wriggling in your throat and maybe you need to get to a doctor Right Now.

We've only done the easier missions but I've seen some gameplay from later when the things you're fighting are distressingly big.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Tbf evil, sentient towns who hate and lure people to them like a venus flytrap rules as a concept

Imo they should have just stuck with that and not kept spinning off into all kinds of things. Ever game is some hosed up person getting lured into the town like a bug flying towards a zapper. And like a zapper the town ultimately doesn't care if the people die or not, and largely they could leave at any time.

If anything "expanded" from SH2 I'd be interested in spending more time in Eddie's world. Not Angela's, I don't trust them with that, but seeing how the town was working over Eddie, going from weakly puking in a toilet to full blow murder mode. What do his monsters look like, is the whole town an ice box for him? How does he see Laura?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
supplemental materials explain that laura hitchhiked with him into town

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Finished RE0 and started RE4 (original version with the bonkers detailed HD fan restoration mod).

I see now why people call this "the good one". Took a few minutes to get used to the controls but once I did, I almost couldn't put it down. I haven't even gotten to the fabled Midget Napoleon that I've heard so much about

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Morpheus posted:

I played Barotrauma, which I think constitutes a horror game, but also is just one of those comedies where everything absolutely goes wrong and aliens tear everything apart. Poke having your reactor run out of fuel just as you're watching a pack of sonar pings rush towards the ship, or trying to repair things without realizing that there's something in the ballasts absolutely tearing poo poo apart. Or when, after fighting a husk of a person being puppeted by a parasitic organism, you suddenly realize there's something wriggling in your throat and maybe you need to get to a doctor Right Now.

We've only done the easier missions but I've seen some gameplay from later when the things you're fighting are distressingly big.

There's definitely moments of horror in that game when you KNOW there's something lurking out there, you're down to your last box of coilgun ammo, there's ballast flora creeping through the ship that you need to deal with and you really, really need to get outside and fix the hull but there's a really good chance if you do the lurking thing is going to eat your face.

Edit: vvvv They're going to make everyone a pedo, especially James who will learn he's a pedo in a flashback that he'd forgotten.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 17, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Oxxidation posted:

Oh no. They're gonna make Eddie a pedo :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The original SH2 thankfully isn't going anywhere. If they gently caress it up really bad it'll be an interesting trainwreck to talk about, and if they actually nail it it'll be a pleasant surprise. But as long as no-one's coming to take my PS2 copies away, I'm cool either way.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Would be cool to see a Silent Hill Remake that remixes stuff like RE4 does where if you've played the game it's kind of like a Lost Levels-type deal.
Unfortunately RE4 was made by talented people both times, while SH2 is stuck with people whos main takeaway from SH2 is that In Water ending is the greatest thing a flawed human being can strive to achieve.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Instant Grat posted:

Finished RE0 and started RE4 (original version with the bonkers detailed HD fan restoration mod).

I see now why people call this "the good one". Took a few minutes to get used to the controls but once I did, I almost couldn't put it down. I haven't even gotten to the fabled Midget Napoleon that I've heard so much about

both RE4 og and RE4Make are good on their own merits imo. The remake has tighter design with a more serious tone whilst og hams it up and has a lot more fluff and "what if we added in THIS?".

That said, have fun if you've managed to grasp the controls! OG is a fun, if a bit long, of a ride!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

SH2 really seems like, and I’m already embarrassed to say this, a games version of Velvet Underground … actually I don’t think it was as truly visionary as VU, but I mean that in terms of “wasn’t actually that successful or critically beloved during its time but gained such a cult afterward that its secondary influence has far outstripped its original stature.”

There are probably better comparisons with grindhouse film, tbh. But I already wrote that out, so now you have to live with it.

As much as I expect Bloober Team to make a mediocre game, I do kind of wonder if the best that could be hoped for from a SH2 remake is something like the System Shock Remake — a highly playable and appealing revisiting that nevertheless reveals the limitations of its the original design compared to modern games, simply due to the limitations of time and hardware.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SH2 was critically adored on release. I still remember some of the spreads Gamepro had for it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think Japan didn't like it as much upon release since they expected more of the cult elements of sh1 but slowly also grew to enjoy it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think Japan didn't like it as much upon release since they expected more of the cult elements of sh1 but slowly also grew to enjoy it

Cult elements in any supernatural horror are always the worst parts. Like, there's eldritch entities and things beyond your understanding and dark forces you can't possibly comprehend and also here is jim with a knife.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxxidation posted:

Sure, I meant more how things changed as they went along. Surely Eddie wasn't eating pizza with Laura one minute then full Meat Locker Murderer the next, he must have been fighting monsters.

My headcanon is that while James was in a life or death struggle against the monsters with only what the town was giving him to slightly survive, the town gave Eddie a gun and let him go full First Person Shooter on a bunch of monsters to desensitize him to killing and making it feel "easy" and fun.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Evil Kit posted:

The remake has tighter design with a more serious tone whilst og hams it up and has a lot more fluff and "what if we added in THIS?".

Based on what I'm actually enjoying about RE4 it sounds like I picked the right version then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played the remake yet because I tend to like dumb Resident Evil more than scary Resident Evil.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Make no mistake, the RE4 remake is "more serious" than RE4 OG, but it still has some ridiculousness in it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, there's plenty of goofiness even if it cuts out a fair amount of specific stuff from the original. But honestly don't skip it based on that, the gameplay is just phenomenal. I finally decided to just live with both versions of RE4 being tied for my top spot in the franchise, they're both so much fun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Instant Grat posted:

Based on what I'm actually enjoying about RE4 it sounds like I picked the right version then

To clarify, I only played OG about a year before remake and without the goggles of nostalgia? Frankly, OG drags it out and not in a way that adds much value. You end up with long periods of no story and just gameplay, and the amount that gets dragged out kinda sucks imo. It smacks of the design of games at the time where as much content was shoved into a disc as possible, and not all of it was steller.

OG is still very good and deserving of praise, but it has some faults and imo the remake cleans up those faults very nicely while also getting to be its own thing. You should def play both.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Once I've journeyed through the rest of the series, maybe :zombie:

I got 0-7 + Revelations 1 & 2 for basically no money in a Humble Bundle a while back, and later picked up Village for crazy cheap too, so I'm not exactly lacking for RE. And Fatal Frames 3-5, Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 3 & 4, Clock Tower 3....

Related: "Resident Evil" is an amazing translation of "Biohazard". It's so evocative. It's some "Nothing here is sacred" type stuff

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

The controls were perfect on the GC controller :colbert:

It's a great game, and like others have said it does drag at times because it was released in 2005 and they made sure you got all $60 out of that purchase, even if some of that time is kind of wasted on bits that aren't great.

The remake was fantastic, tightened up the controls, dialed down a lot of the goofy stuff (which is a shame) but also managed to make Ashley not the worst escort NPC ever. I did a lot less "God drat It Ashley what are you doing?!" yelling at my screen while playing remake than I do playing the original, because good lord is Ashley annoying as hell in the original.