Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's always worth buying an exotic you don't have, because you can rebuy it at any time in the future even if you hate it and trash it instantly today

Also exotic cyphers are pretty hard to earn normally, the ones in the season pass are no strings attached so make sure you claim and use them all before the season ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The weird thing about ciphers is that they're also hard to spend quickly, if you find yourself with multiple, because Xur will only let you spend one per week (account-wide). Also the item description is out of date because it still says you can only hold one, but I have three.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
You can spend ciphers much faster now that you need it for focused decoding

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

It's always worth buying an exotic you don't have, because you can rebuy it at any time in the future even if you hate it and trash it instantly today

Also exotic cyphers are pretty hard to earn normally, the ones in the season pass are no strings attached so make sure you claim and use them all before the season ends

This is more relevant now that Exotic Ciphers and Deepsight Harmonizers are part of the season pass, but you can actually leave stuff in the season pass for one additional season then go retrieve it from Bungie.net. So for example, you could go get stuff from your Season of Defiance pass until the end of Season of the Deep.

So if anybody is feeling like they don't know what to spend their Harmonizers or Ciphers on, you do still have a few months before you have to decide.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

MJeff posted:

This is more relevant now that Exotic Ciphers and Deepsight Harmonizers are part of the season pass, but you can actually leave stuff in the season pass for one additional season then go retrieve it from Bungie.net. So for example, you could go get stuff from your Season of Defiance pass until the end of Season of the Deep.

So if anybody is feeling like they don't know what to spend their Harmonizers or Ciphers on, you do still have a few months before you have to decide.

There are browser plug-ins (might be Chrome only) that let you go back even father and grab rewards from previous seasons if you earned them but forgot to grab them. . Not sure why Bungie just doesn't allow this by default if it is in the API of the website.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Fortress is a nice change of pace from normal Control. I like that timing matters but kills/deaths don’t, so you can do stuff like anticipate the points or push and die but capture a clutch point. I try to be more judicious about Caiatl’s point. You don’t have to cap it right away. If I can clear the enemy team while they’re distracted with the turrets - that’s a better position to hold the point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ohhyeah posted:

Fortress is a nice change of pace from normal Control. I like that timing matters but kills/deaths don’t, so you can do stuff like anticipate the points or push and die but capture a clutch point. I try to be more judicious about Caiatl’s point. You don’t have to cap it right away. If I can clear the enemy team while they’re distracted with the turrets - that’s a better position to hold the point.

I go back and forth on it. It's a neat idea but it feels like it doesn't really matter - the game's probably been decided already one way or the other as if it were any other control, and pubbies remain incapable of Standing On The Point. I feel like it'd be more fun but dumber if there were just Cabal hanging around the whole time at every point routinely reinforcing all of them instead of just "ok this is the point where you curbstomp the losing team harder now, have fun". Even if the losers DO get it, the winners have more supers because they are winning, and it continues to snowball as usual.

It's fun because Control is fun but it doesn't really do enough imo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 17, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fortress should have been only Caiatl points, a sequence of them, at random places on the map

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I did my first legendary lost sector today. The cosmodrome one is nice because you aren’t trapped in the room with the boss and you can turtle. I got the telesto catalyst.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

This, plus with Marathon coming after Lightfall it doesn't hurt to buy stuff using in-game currency like there's no tomorrow.

Not that the game is going away but you know what I mean.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

smallmouth posted:

I did my first legendary lost sector today. The cosmodrome one is nice because you aren’t trapped in the room with the boss and you can turtle. I got the telesto catalyst.
:toot:

Assuming you mean Exodus Garden 2A, it's one of many lost sectors where the champions are a bigger speedbump than the boss. There's one section where you get a barrier and an overload at the same time and it can be a right pain in the rear end, especially on master where the overload will just about oneshot you while getting shielded by the barrier.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ohhyeah posted:

Both Fortress and Eruption are just way better than normal IB control. Normal control is get a hold on 2 zones, push someone into a spawn camp, then take their 3rd point with a single super, then clean up the scattered remains of the other team as the game can't figure out where to spawn people. This is doable with 3 or more people in a stack, but it's utterly and completely broken in 6 stacks.

Fortress breaks the strat because you can't lock zones and the 4x zone requires different playstyles and super usage timing. Eruption breaks it because it's tdm. I like them both way better than just normal control.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
titan bubble tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When the other team does that I simply fist them as hard as I can

I know what I said

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ex post facho posted:

titan bubble tho

it's not impossible to deal with. most damage supers kill everyone inside the bubble. just dogpile it, throw in a nova bomb, blade barrage, or thunder crash.

Play against your opponents and not any "meta", and you'll find quite a bit of success in Fortress. Lots of "wait thats illegal" moments when you whip out an arc staff or warlock ticklefingers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, as much as I hate Titans in PVP, Fortress still feels like a better mode, and yeah, there are answers to bubble and at least for me it felt a bit fun to play into the meta of the mode.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Strand Hunter, Decoy aspect, Bombardiers, fill that bubble lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
10 minute supers aren't a reliable counter to a 4 minute super, but luckily there's lots of exotic weapons and armors that can even the scales a little bit.

Conditional Finality in particular is an amazing gun even before the bubbles start rolling out!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

10 minute supers aren't a reliable counter to a 4 minute super, but luckily there's lots of exotic weapons and armors that can even the scales a little bit.

Conditional Finality in particular is an amazing gun even before the bubbles start rolling out!

WELL NOT ALL OF US HAVE CONDITIONAL FINALITY CHRIS

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Then go wait in the car until your Nova Bomb is charged!! :smuggo:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Witherhoard is another good pick since people have a strong desire to stand in a particular location.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Peregrine shoulder charge is pretty good, but imo the most fun is syntho ballistic slam

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love this game

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1681098512518516736

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Week 9 Seasonal Challenges are up too. Serendipitously, one is an Iron Banner challenge. :v:

Edit: Or, well, they were. Rip.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 18, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did two of them, and they were the last I needed to unlock the big dust pile, lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

I did two of them, and they were the last I needed to unlock the big dust pile, lol

I could only play one Iron Banner match before they got locked again, I'm owned.

So hey, is it just me or is the requirement for "do almost all the seasonal challenges for a big chunk of Bright Dust" challenge WAY lower this season? Normally, you get to skip at most, three challenges, which I think is mostly intended to let us skip the seasonal ornaments, cause they're all behind double rank resets. This week, you could be totally done with it before week 9.

Also in the week 9 challenges, I saw there was a "obtain an ornament for the seasonal weapon" challenge so apparently they're not even doing challenges for all three anymore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It seems lower this season cause there's that other tab of challenges for unlocking season bonuses that also counts. I was half expecting there to be less of the regular challenges to compensate?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There's usually one for obtaining any ornament, one for each specific ornament, and one for all three.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

MJeff posted:

Week 9 Seasonal Challenges are up too. Serendipitously, one is an Iron Banner challenge. :v:

Edit: Or, well, they were. Rip.

Wait, isn't this (Fortress) the last Iron Banner of the season? How is the challenge completable?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ullerrm posted:

Wait, isn't this (Fortress) the last Iron Banner of the season? How is the challenge completable?

It’s “do Crucible matches, Iron Banner grants bonus progress.”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s “do Crucible matches, Iron Banner grants bonus progress.”

Still seems like a bit poorly thought out to put it after IB is all over though, cause I can probably bet the progress will feel quite slow just doing regular crucible matches.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Still seems like a bit poorly thought out to put it after IB is all over though, cause I can probably bet the progress will feel quite slow just doing regular crucible matches.

No you’re correct, it’s just another sign of poor planning for this game. Same as the weekly challenge for doing Trials matches coming out on a week where Trials wasn’t available.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxyclean posted:

They also put the one for Trials round wins in the week when there is no Trials because of IB.

The double XP/loot rotations this season have been all over the place, I had to spend the week I would have concentrated on farming Kalli on getting 1 vanguard reset and 2 gambit resets instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Farming Kalli would probably have been a better use of your time, honestly

A season or two ago they had to change the IB schedule because of an emergency patch, I would have thought they would return the schedule to the original plan in a new season but welp

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how long have the emblem stat trackers been broken

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Seeing a lot of preemptive complaints about the new Solstice RL, and the HC was given a lukewarm reception last year too (and Compass Rose seems the same) so I guess if people were worried about events being FOMO fuel they shouldn't. Personally I'm gonna be killing time at some point or anything by playing the game, so it's fine by me. But then I like Something New (the HC) and hope the changes next season make it actually useful lol

Honestly I don't think any events weapons have been or will ever be meta approved. I like them a lot tho. Like, Horror Story is my bae, but Mechabre, Werewolf, The Title, Stay Frosty etc are all good but not weapons where I wouldn't expect at least one annoying person to ask why I'm not running some other meta weapon. The event weapons sit in a nice spot, fun if you get them, and not a big deal if you don't. Which is what they should be. Also for the love of god don't buy event cards, they are not good value what the gently caress.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Event weapons now seem to occupy the niche of "fun situationally powerful origin trait on a weapon archetype and stats that will never be useful."

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
The new Solstice RL is disappointing because it's a precision, aka the bad damage frame. But at least we have a green rocket now if you need to match colors!

They actually reworked the perks on Something New, so you can get better rolls than last year. And compass rose gives you the opportunity to actually easily farm a precision shotgun!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

They also put the one for Trials round wins in the week when there is no Trials because of IB.

The double XP/loot rotations this season have been all over the place, I had to spend the week I would have concentrated on farming Kalli on getting 1 vanguard reset and 2 gambit resets instead.
The trials one is silly, but at least it's only "wait a week."

And the week you wasted time doing vanguard and gambit resets was the bungie day week, which isn't really normal. But it does feel pretty annoying that double XP seems to specifically land on the "wrong" weeks. Arguably, the excuse could be that you'd want to boost playercounts for activities on off weeks, but with how many other goofs, very little of how the challenges is set up feels particularly intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

The new Solstice RL is disappointing because it's a precision, aka the bad damage frame. But at least we have a green rocket now if you need to match colors!

They actually reworked the perks on Something New, so you can get better rolls than last year. And compass rose gives you the opportunity to actually easily farm a precision shotgun!

Oh word? My Something New has Feeding Frenzy and Demolitionist and I don't think I'd want to change that unless there's something super spicy happening this year. And hey, a Strand rocket is better than not a Strand rocket. Something has to be the first instance of a new element/archetype combo, might as well be that. I dunno, they can't exactly make event weapons absolutely amazing, because it'll just piss off anyone who was too busy for the event.

MJeff posted:

Event weapons now seem to occupy the niche of "fun situationally powerful origin trait on a weapon archetype and stats that will never be useful."

Yeah, pretty much, and I am fine with that. Even when unbroken the Dreamwork perk is actually pretty nice, and the Class Contender perk is great too. The Dawning Surprise one tho, I just swap the weapon to whatever other origin trait it has, like Omolon for Stay Frosty. Search Party would be amazing on weapons I want to take into Lost Sectors tho, too bad lol