Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thatbastardken posted:

i've heard the beaches were much nicer before all the development hosed the place up

Also a very common story around Australia. Sea walls just ruin the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

The Lord Bude posted:

The Gold Coast is pretty much the worst place in the country. Not just in terms of politics or demographics but to visit as well.

I live on the Gold Coast and in the Fadden electorate. Can confirm. It’s actually getting <more> conservative over time

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
dictator dan refugees

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

birdstrike posted:

dictator dan refugees

The fadden electorate is in the north of the GC, anti vaxxers tend to be in the south of the city. This area is more economic liberals, old rich people who want to gently caress the poor but who have high vaccination rates and were generally okay with lockdowns and public health measures

In a humble defense of the city in general, it’s a great place for expats and I like it here as a Canadian more than I liked Perth and Sydney. I get and don’t disagree with the criticism, though

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It was a joke I imagine (because we wood chipper those who flee without permission). Lots of Victorians left, it wasn't just antivaxx nutters.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

The Gold Coast is pretty much the worst place in the country. Not just in terms of politics or demographics but to visit as well.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Politics?? Australia??

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Australia has a politic, and it is problematic.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Lord Bude posted:

A lot of the northern Gold Coast reminds me of a 80s Miami aesthetic and the 80s for that matter which I hate. Although I have good memories of the place since my family would rent out places on the beachfront places at Tugun and Bilinga during school holidays. There are so many nicer beaches though nearby.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Serrath posted:

The fadden electorate is in the north of the GC, anti vaxxers tend to be in the south of the city. This area is more economic liberals, old rich people who want to gently caress the poor but who have high vaccination rates and were generally okay with lockdowns and public health measures

In a humble defense of the city in general, it’s a great place for expats and I like it here as a Canadian more than I liked Perth and Sydney. I get and don’t disagree with the criticism, though

I would hate living in Sydney too - love visiting, would never live there. But Brisbane is far better than the Gold Coast.

I just don’t like the trashy seediness of the Gold Coast. All the strip clubs and overpriced poo poo bars and restaurants and tourist traps. I’m sure if you lived at Burleigh or something it would be nicer.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Serrath posted:

Hate the term ex-pat. Just call them migrants.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
burleigh is sort of the sweet spot. too far north to be too bothered by the crystal fuckers, too far south to deal with any of the seedy surfers bullshit, still within a decent drive of the northern rivers boat ramps to go fishing

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

thatbastardken posted:

i've heard the beaches were much nicer before all the development hosed the place up

They definitely seemed a lot nicer in my childhood memories. We took the kids last year and I was gobsmacked by just how lovely they had become. The whole place in general is just a poo poo place to take your family now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SecretOfSteel posted:

Hate the term ex-pat. Just call them migrants.

They can't call them "migrants" because that undermines the dogwhistle.

So:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Doublepost!

ABC News posted:

How the big four accounting firms infiltrated governments, earning more than $10b over a decade while taxpayers are in the dark

They sit in government departments on secondment, occupy hundreds of boards across Australia and earn billions of dollars consulting to the public and private sector. The big four accounting firms — EY, Deloitte, KPMG and PwC — are now under the spotlight like never before. Even more alarming is the growing reliance on the big four by the Department of Defence, which splurged almost $4 billion of taxpayer money on thousands of contracts with EY, Deloitte, PwC and KPMG. But it could be more.
The magnitude of the money being spent by governments speaks volumes about the extent of their involvement. According to data collected from AusTender by data warehousing expert Greg Bean, who spent decades in data analytics, the Commonwealth spent more than $8 billion in the past ten years on the big four, increasing more than 600 per cent since 2013. It's a similar story for the states. NSW spent $504 million in the past four years on EY, Deloitte, KPMG and PwC, while Victoria spent $844 million and Western Australia $582 million.
The figures for state and federal governments are large but they don't capture the total amount spent with the big four. There is no consolidated figure publicly available and Commonwealth Corporate entities are only required to disclose contracts worth more than $400,000, which means lots of contracts avoid disclosure on the AusTender site and some contracts are amended or extended. According to Bean's analysis, almost one third of contracts were amended.

Government departments in NSW, for instance, routinely fail their obligations to post contracts on the eTender site. Additionally the site only includes current contracts which means expired contracts disappear from the site, making it difficult to keep tabs on the size of the overall bill and contracts below $150,000 are not disclosed on the site.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-17/pwc-ey-kpmg-deloitte-government-10-billion/102602370

Lol, lmao. Love to suborn our public service to capital.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Imo the public service is fully doomed in the long run, they were already poo poo paying jobs and now with inflation they are true peasant wages. It's hosed out there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

They can't call them "migrants" because that undermines the dogwhistle.

So:

Ex-pats leave

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Ex-pats leave

:lol:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

Ex-pats leave

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

Ex-pats leave

lmao

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

migrants - looking for a new life in a new (western) country

expats - mostly white sex pests hiding in asian countries.

thats how I've always understood it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

You did not understand it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/gasugasu1984/status/1680728481439821825

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

By 'lose money on their investments' do they mean they're not making enough on rent to cover maintenance and the mortgage? Or that when they sell the house, even with the equity they've made from their rental income, that they're actually making tangible losses on what they paid for the property?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
let's try 'neither, but their market research tells them that labor is dropping the ball and people are talking green guillotines'

(edit: to clarify i am sure they all lose money on paper every year for negative gearing purposes but i doubt they are actually 'losing money')

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Konomex posted:

By 'lose money on their investments' do they mean they're not making enough on rent to cover maintenance and the mortgage? Or that when they sell the house, even with the equity they've made from their rental income, that they're actually making tangible losses on what they paid for the property?

Presumably the former. Rent isn’t enough to cover mortgage repayments at current interest rates - in fact rental yield is lower than the cost of just interest only repayments at the moment. Rent is just something to offset your costs a bit until you sell the house and make a capital gain.

The only people who are actually living off rents are people who bought property decades ago and have long since paid them off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

abigserve posted:

Imo the public service is fully doomed in the long run, they were already poo poo paying jobs and now with inflation they are true peasant wages. It's hosed out there.

Eh it depends, there's definitely some decent paying public service jobs but the issue is that real career progression is pretty limited and (this my opinion) you find that the public service accretes some real shits who just can't hack it in the real world so you can have a pretty poo poo culture where nothing ever changes. It's applicable to the private sector sure but (and again from experience) I see it more in the public sector.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would go public service if they still had the 54.11 but the way it is now no dice.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

migrants - looking for a new life in a new (western) country

expats - mostly white sex pests hiding in asian countries.

thats how I've always understood it.

People complain about the migrant/expat thing for being racist, but the way I've always seen it is that a migrant is fully committed to making a new life in the new country: citizenship, kids, bringing along the whole family, basically no looking back.

Whereas an expat is either a) a retiree who isn't working and has moved for the climate or whatever, and isn't really going to be integrating or raising a new generation in the new country (i.e. boomer Brits in Spain, boomer Aussies in Bali) or b) a young person chasing career/money/experience but who isn't necessarily about to put down roots and may still have an eye on the door (i.e. all the young Australians I know working in the UK or US).

Obviously they aren't mutually exclusive and a lot of young "expats" will end up being permanent migrants, but I think there's more to it than people who dismissively think it's all race/nationality-coded.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think the thing that also gets missed is that successive Liberal and Labor governments have failed to invest in the public service and in many cases it's extraordinarily expensive to bring both the "know how" in-house and to continue to develop that knowledge. There's basically no room to grow in the public service which means you risk having the knowledge seep out into the stratosphere.

The majority of money spent on consultants IIRC is about the digital/tech consulting these days, which IIRC is where all the Big 4 have been investing/growing over the past few years. Everyone is stumping up for this knowledge because it's moving so fast and these tech consultants basically are the "gold standard" and the government sure as hell can't afford to stop paying these guys. I know we all think of those shady rear end management consultants as being the bane of our existence but really it's a bunch of computer touchers who are raking in the big bucks at present.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And for all that, every intersection of government and computers is still a mess at the best of times. Privatisation has been nothing but a massive rort that neoliberalism has convinced even many of the people doing it that it's magically better no matter how much hard evidence to the contrary.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Recoome posted:

The majority of money spent on consultants IIRC is about the digital/tech consulting these days, which IIRC is where all the Big 4 have been investing/growing over the past few years. Everyone is stumping up for this knowledge because it's moving so fast and these tech consultants basically are the "gold standard" and the government sure as hell can't afford to stop paying these guys. I know we all think of those shady rear end management consultants as being the bane of our existence but really it's a bunch of computer touchers who are raking in the big bucks at present.

Lol, as a very recent former big 4 computer toucher, the staff doing the actual computering get paid poo poo and are compensated by “on the job” training (ie, throw them in the deep end and blame them when it fucks up).

The managers/senior managers promise the world then bill extra when the consultants/senior consultants can’t figure out how to deliver on those promises.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
quite a few problems on wild dingo island lately, maybe they should have some sort of required seminar for new people on the island telling them to stay the gently caress away from the dingoes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Non Compos Mentis posted:

quite a few problems on wild dingo island lately, maybe they should have some sort of required seminar for new people on the island telling them to stay the gently caress away from the dingoes

sorry i think you have us mistaken for a state that has more industries than digging poo poo out of the ground and tourism

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the dingoes and the orcas have been organising

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

loving Age had it on their front page, too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

sorry i think you have us mistaken for a state that has more industries than digging poo poo out of the ground and tourism

the dingoes are biting (or digging bits out of, if the bite goes far enough) the tourists, though.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

thatbastardken posted:

the dingoes are biting (or digging bits out of, if the bite goes far enough) the tourists, though.

presumably the dingos will be shot as a threat to the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Perhaps there should be some sort of form visitors to the island have to sign that says they are responsible if bitten by a dingo and will get fined