Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the game complete the quest or fail it?

I think it just completed itself, like I could go to House/Yes Man and tell him about the conspiracy and that the situation had been resolved. Like the important thing is that the conspirators are dead, nobody really cares about the Omertas beyond that.

e: It's been some years and these old playthroughs do start to blend into each other, but I think the game just went "ah well let's just move on". I'm honestly not even sure if I kept this outcome instead of reloading and trying it again for an actual resolution. I hope I kept it.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lily's story have to be one of the saddest in wasteland. Kidnapped by the Master's army, forced to be a super mutant and now facing the choice between going insane or forget her past. I honestly couldn't do anything else than let her continue to take half doses of her anti psychotic drugs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Finished the Omerta quest and it was actually kina cool. Felt kinda badass just sitting in the couch while Cachino killed the bosses. And now I guess I have to finally, officially choose a side by talking to Yes Man. It really speaks well of the game that I've actually struggled with this.

If you're not aware, there's a hidden part to yes man's quest chain. if you go and make good with the followers of the apocalypse in Freeside, you can contact them again during Side Bets to get them to sign on to doing humanitarian/welfare stuff in New Vegas in exchange for your protection/resources. It arguably makes Yes Man the most humane ending.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They'll also do that for the NCR but they're not thrilled about it. Turns out well in the end though iirc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well, it's done, alea iacta est. I don't even get to try and save the president. At least the NCR didn't brand me a terrorist.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Alhazred posted:

Well, it's done, alea iacta est. I don't even get to try and save the president. At least the NCR didn't brand me a terrorist.

i thought Yes Man still gave you the save the president quest? am i misremembering? (usually i let House give it to me then murk him)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have to actually save him. Just try

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rockstar Massacre posted:

i thought Yes Man still gave you the save the president quest? am i misremembering? (usually i let House give it to me then murk him)

I wasn't liked enough by the NCR to get near him. I had two choices: say that I don't care about Kimball or that the NCR doesn't like me enough to let me near Kimball.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 13, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

On the plus side: Did you know that you can dress Cass in a leather armor? Because you can.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like her default clothes, though. Unlike certain potato sack wearing individuals

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Alhazred posted:

On the plus side: Did you know that you can dress Cass in a leather armor? Because you can.
I like to give her the Riot Gear from Lonesome road. I think it looks good on her and fits her style.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do stat bonuses from outfits do anything for companions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1679725496442159104?t=VmOKFni6LPmyd0Uo9Ysq1A&s=19

I've done one of those things and I want to do another.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I like her default clothes, though. Unlike certain potato sack wearing individuals

It's apparently not possible to make Veronica wear the fancy dress you give her.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*big iron echoes in the distance*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone got some tubing? I need to make some tourniquets

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

*big iron echoes in the distance*

P sure it's just decorative clutter

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

One of the things that I always forget that I laugh at is Captain Parker's little side quest in the Aerotech Park. He thinks one of the refugees is dealing drugs and cheating at cards and, of course, they are doing that. So he's like 'Hey, I'll give you some extra caps if you help me arrest this guy' and free caps is always nice so you walk over to the building with him. Keith, the card cheat, is pissed off about being arrested so he makes a crack about how Parker's wife left him and Parker, without any interaction from the Courier at all, pulls out his battle rifle and guns the guy down right in front of you and when you ask about what just happened just shrugs and says 'he shouldn't have talked about my wife'.

+100 caps.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NorgLyle posted:

One of the things that I always forget that I laugh at is Captain Parker's little side quest in the Aerotech Park. He thinks one of the refugees is dealing drugs and cheating at cards and, of course, they are doing that. So he's like 'Hey, I'll give you some extra caps if you help me arrest this guy' and free caps is always nice so you walk over to the building with him. Keith, the card cheat, is pissed off about being arrested so he makes a crack about how Parker's wife left him and Parker, without any interaction from the Courier at all, pulls out his battle rifle and guns the guy down right in front of you and when you ask about what just happened just shrugs and says 'he shouldn't have talked about my wife'.

+100 caps.

It bugs me that there's no way to report him for that murder, even though the NCR's supposed to have laws. Of course, I usually don't do that quest because he takes five minutes to walk over to Keith on his way to arrest him.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Chamale posted:

It bugs me that there's no way to report him for that murder, even though the NCR's supposed to have laws. Of course, I usually don't do that quest because he takes five minutes to walk over to Keith on his way to arrest him.

It's probably marshal law in that area. The guy can get away with shooting a drug dealer who's being aggressive.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You just got shoot him first :clint:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I never got around to playing through the story add-ons so I did a playthrough to try them out, here are my not particularly spoilery impressions in a sentence:

Dead Money: Hope the Courier you made for New Vegas copes now they're playing Thief while poisoned
Honest Hearts: Well this looks like an interesting environment to explore oh wait it's over
Old World Blues: Comedy Science! episode I might have a better impression of if it wasn't bookended with so much talking
Lonesome Road: You liked how the Courier was a blank slate well too bad here's your backstory - you suck and your choices suck and you especially suck for playing this DLC

As standalone stories they are enjoyable enough (at least the first three were) but they somewhat clashed tonally and pacing-wise with the base game.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Trapezium Dave posted:

I never got around to playing through the story add-ons so I did a playthrough to try them out, here are my not particularly spoilery impressions in a sentence:

Dead Money: Hope the Courier you made for New Vegas copes now they're playing Thief while poisoned
Honest Hearts: Well this looks like an interesting environment to explore oh wait it's over
Old World Blues: Comedy Science! episode I might have a better impression of if it wasn't bookended with so much talking
Lonesome Road: You liked how the Courier was a blank slate well too bad here's your backstory - you suck and your choices suck and you especially suck for playing this DLC

As standalone stories they are enjoyable enough (at least the first three were) but they somewhat clashed tonally and pacing-wise with the base game.

I’ve said this before but I absolutely hate that you’re forced into doing these aggravating panicky jumping sequences in Dead Money when the game engine is not built to do that well

Love the atmosphere and environment but it sucks first few times through

Oh so you want a place to sleep? Haha gently caress you

Oh so you want a navigable map? Haha gently caress you

Oh so you want to explore and not have to deal with a deadly health draining environmental factor you cannot counteract? Haha gently caress you

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 19, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah, I usually don't mind that much when DLC's clash a bit tonally, as most of the best DLC's experiment and try something a bit new that wouldn't really fit into the main game so it's sort of to be expected.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Honest Hearts is odd in that the main story of it is really short, but there is a great big and interesting sidequest to do that's much longer (and you are not steered into recognizing its existence at all)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

DeathChicken posted:

Honest Hearts is odd in that the main story of it is really short, but there is a great big and interesting sidequest to do that's much longer (and you are not steered into recognizing its existence at all)

I know I'm going to hurt myself by learning about this for the first time, but I have to ask what sidequest is that?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Trapezium Dave posted:

The only fun way to play Lonesome Road is to treat Ulysses like a crazy person who doesn't know what he's talking about and has the wrong Courier. It is also one of the only things in the game that makes me think back on the old 'Shandification of Fallout' video in a bad way; you run into a group of Deathclaws living alone on top of an abandoned highway overpass just waiting for a Courier to wander through and try to kill and my brain goes 'but... what do they eat?'

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I know I'm going to hurt myself by learning about this for the first time, but I have to ask what sidequest is that?

The caves that Waking Cloud doesn’t want you to go into were home to a survivor of the actual nuclear fallout event. He left his story behind, scattered across several hidden caches, and it’s better than the main plot of the DLC. (And he’s got a great rifle as a reward at the end too.)

It’s technically not a side quest since the pip-boy doesn’t track it, but it’s a must do.

e: also you can get a safe place to sleep very early on in dead money. The auto-doc clears fatigue.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dead Money ftw. Make it harder if anything

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

NorgLyle posted:

The only fun way to play Lonesome Road is to treat Ulysses like a crazy person who doesn't know what he's talking about and has the wrong Courier. It is also one of the only things in the game that makes me think back on the old 'Shandification of Fallout' video in a bad way; you run into a group of Deathclaws living alone on top of an abandoned highway overpass just waiting for a Courier to wander through and try to kill and my brain goes 'but... what do they eat?'

Thanks for name dropping that video. I hadn't come across it before. Here is a link to a mirror if anyone, like me, hadn't seen it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3GDcMXBFI

Seeing these arguments, I can imagine the cinematic appreciators finding their in-universe detractions and say "Well, these farms couldn't possibly feed everyone in in that settlement." I recall seeing some chatter about something similar for The Return of the Obra Dinn where a ship that big could not be operated by a crew of that size. (Obra Dinn is phenomenal by the way.) I think this points to a distinction: on a scale of simulationism we can have setpiece games at one end where nothing is explained or matters and simulationist games at the other where they endeavor to leave not questions unanswered. In the middle, we have degrees of immersive games of various stripes. Mario Odyssey is a setpiece game while Microsoft Flight Simulator might be the opposite, and New Vegas is somewhere in between.

For an immersive game, these types of background questions will be asked. They should endeavor to answer a reasonable number of these questions in their text. These answers need to be satisfactory and non-contradictory, but they do not necessarily need to hold up to the most rigorous scrutiny, just a cursory examination.

"What do they eat?"
"Well, here's a farm."
"The farm is far too small and the salinity of the Nevada earth means..."
"Shut the gently caress up, it's a video game, not a textbook."

By contrast, if you ask, "What do they eat?" to New Donk City, the proper response is "Who loving cares?" The game doesn't require immersion; it is a series of setpieces for a exploration and platforming challenges. On the other hand, if you ask an incredibly nuanced question about ailerons in MS Flight Sim, you can travel much deeper before that response is warranted.

I dunno what I am getting at here. Just spitballing. This has all probably been said before, and I'm the last one to cross the finish line.

Finally: oh god, is this why there's so much tiresome settlement building in Fallout 4?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

Dead Money ftw. Make it harder if anything
I've always personally ranked OWB slightly above Dead Money just because I enjoy the wacky science setting and the more open exploration but I will say that on my most recent playthrough I appreciated that Dead Money is the one DLC that is really committed to giving the player multiple solutions to all of its challenges. There isn't just one correct path to find Dean, you don't have to feed Dog, you aren't required to assuage Christine's claustrophobia (but you should).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the entirety of Dead Money is the game devs trying to carve out a new game inside of Bethesda's Fallout engine, with entirely new and separate mechanics for how everything works, so the more you want to play Fallout, the more the DLC will chafe on you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Magnetic North posted:

Finally: oh god, is this why there's so much tiresome settlement building in Fallout 4?

It's because someone made a settlement building mod for New Vegas that was popular.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Fallout 4 has the exact amount of tiresome settlement building that you're willing to do. No one is forcing you to do it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Alhazred posted:

Fallout 4 has the exact amount of tiresome settlement building that you're willing to do. No one is forcing you to do it.

yeah but without it all you have left is, lol, fallout 4

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I actually enjoy Fallout 4 a lot as a hallway shooter. I've got over 1,000 hours in it, and I'll make a new character and play through the main story and Nuka World whenever I feel like playing. But I find exploring the world to be boring, and the factions are much less distinctive than the ones in New Vegas.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chamale posted:

...and the factions are much less distinctive than the ones in New Vegas.

The mad scientists faction really needed to be far more mad sciency. Instead they were just randomly, boringly, evil for no real well explained reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NorgLyle posted:

Tunnelers that made a wrong turn, marked men but only the legion ones, and all the junk food you stopped picking up forty hours ago

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

RBA Starblade posted:

Tunnelers that made a wrong turn, marked men but only the legion ones, and all the junk food you stopped picking up forty hours ago

Stopped picking up? Can you explain what that means? Like, you just leave things behind when you loot? Doesn't your brain tell you "but you need to take that so the container is empty"? And when you hit your inventory weight limit, you go back to the container closest to the entrance of the building/dungeon/whatever and dump everything in there before going back for more. That's how Bethesda games work. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rockstar Massacre posted:

yeah but without it all you have left is, lol, fallout 4

Eh, I liked Fallout 4 and until I finish New Vegas it will be the only Fallout game that I've completed.