Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i tried out my airbrush today and i love it. i only primed one model then base coated his head. i definitely need to work on aim but, baby steps.

im doing up a biel tan themed army and im doing up a farseer(it definitely wont be as good as the one posted recently), but heres the test spray for the green. im using ak emerald green. i kinda think i need to go a bit darker but im open to suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lots to clean up on this guy still, but I’m finally happy with the fire sword. It’s a little weird but I think it contrasts my chapter colors nicely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Spirit Otter posted:

i tried out my airbrush today and i love it. i only primed one model then base coated his head. i definitely need to work on aim but, baby steps.

im doing up a biel tan themed army and im doing up a farseer(it definitely wont be as good as the one posted recently), but heres the test spray for the green. im using ak emerald green. i kinda think i need to go a bit darker but im open to suggestion.

A wash might take care of that for you. It's a good green, just maybe not what you had in your head when you started.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Im building a Vyrkos army for Soublight Gravelords in AOS.
Current progress. Changed the Necromancer a bit, to get him a bit more in line with my wintery eastern european theme.

Belladamma Volga - the model that convinced me to get into Vyrkos. I am not entirely satisfied with her face ( they were always the hardest for me ) and I dont like how I did the feathers on her hat. Those two things I will probably work on some more, otherwise I am calling her done.

First unit of Dire Wolves.

Apologize for the bad quality of the photos, I have lovely lighting. I will buy or make a light box at some point but its not a priority.
I will appreciate any comments or advice.

For the rest of the army, more Dire wolves will be still Fenrisian Wolves. For the regular skeletons I will be using these boys https://www.etsy.com/listing/110214..._search_click=1

For the Grave Guard I will be converting these ( Drill or dremel out their heads and put in skulls ) https://www.etsy.com/listing/104172..._search_click=1

This will be my first Vampire Lord https://www.etsy.com/listing/135359..._search_click=1

I will most likely be using official GW zombies, since they are actually ok value for the money, but I will be converting them a bit, adding fur, cloth and stuff - sure they dont feel cold now, but they did when they were alive.
Apologize for the bad quality of the photos, I have lovely lighting. I will buy or make a light box at some point but its not a priority.
I will appreciate any comments, advice or if you know of any other vaguely eastern european models that could fit this theme.

EDIT: I just noticed that single loving cat hair stuck to the wolf Volga is sitting on. Its not glued on, we just have three cats so fur gets everywhere.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Has anyone tried our Warcolours 94? I'm tempted mostly because I'm a sucker for oldhammer, but also because other than goblin green, golden yellow, vermillion and heavy blue, all of my colours are fairly desaturated VMC paints.

Virtual Russian posted:

Tiny Necrons!

With these I've got about 1600pts painted, most importantly though I've got my 1k minigeddon list fully painted.

Those look lovely, great job.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Southern Heel posted:

Has anyone tried our Warcolours 94? I'm tempted mostly because I'm a sucker for oldhammer, but also because other than goblin green, golden yellow, vermillion and heavy blue, all of my colours are fairly desaturated VMC paints.

Those look lovely, great job.

I haven’t personally but rogue hobbies did, and it looks pretty drat faithful to the OG

https://youtu.be/hnHiExLCb-w

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

True but also a sponsored video by someone who (while passionate) is not giving an unbiased opinion!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have not loved the warcolors paints I've used tbh. From another YT video I watched on the line it seems like they replicate the bad as well as the good particularly with coverage. It definitely feels like more of a fun nostalgia product than something that would be a staple in your collection.

I think if you want solid bright colors the new Vallejo Game Color range is getting good reviews and I think AK interactive Gen 3 is good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

very excited to get the email confirming my address for my wave 2 Duncan Rhodes paints. I’ve been very pleased with my wave 1 paints and looking forward to these.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

very excited to get the email confirming my address for my wave 2 Duncan Rhodes paints. I’ve been very pleased with my wave 1 paints and looking forward to these.

I recently got the Two Thin Coats blues "triad", and I can say that from the little bit of testing that I did with them, the Marine Blue is definitely going to be a huge help whenever I want to paint Ultramarines.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

mllaneza posted:

A wash might take care of that for you. It's a good green, just maybe not what you had in your head when you started.

im afraid of washes, i can seemingly never apply them properly and they always seem to pool up on me, im also very dumb

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

My Spirit Otter posted:

im afraid of washes, i can seemingly never apply them properly and they always seem to pool up on me, im also very dumb

Use oil washes. They are your friend. Unless you try to drink them. Then they are your mortal enemy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Having fun with this guy, but I do kinda feel like I'm failing to get the point between paint applying smoothly or as a watery mess and it kinda piled up on the model?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

My Spirit Otter posted:

At least the way I used them, they should pool up. You then go back and wick up the pools with an unloaded brush, or spread it around a bit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Practicing blends again

I think I was lucky and got a good mix in my wet palette when I did it. I forget just how much of blending is just simply dictated by physics. It can be decently easy or impossible depending on just how the paint behaves.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did you layer or wet blend that?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For the purple: wet blend, it's sloppy and parts are lazy since I'm just practicing getting back to painting. So it probably looks like blending in some spots, layering in others.

Green: layering.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Use oil washes. They are your friend. Unless you try to drink them. Then they are your mortal enemy.

please do not drink any paint

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Especially do not drink very old Vallejo reds from the model color line.

don't spray them either.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the heads up on the war colours stuff. I have been using Vallejo game colour for my bright colours for a little while, I guess I should just expand that!

Loving the lime green and purple there! When I was a kid, everything had a black basecoat, and I never understood layering, so everything was always super dark-this overly saturated and bright renaissance is fantastic!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

don't spray them either.

or oranges or yellows too. in general you should always have a proper mask for airbrushing regardless of the paint, but anything that said "DO NOT AIRBRUSH" is probably a heavy metal paint

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'll quickly jump in to mention I never brush paint with warcolours, I hate them for that, but, they are by far my favorite paints to airbrush. They thin easy, rarely clump on the tip and the transparency makes it easy to make multiple small passes on something to build up detail.
I don't know anything about their retro line though, I only ever ordered a set of their regular line.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Why use the old paints instead of modern ones that cover well and have colors that are just as vibrant if not more vibrant?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why use the old paints instead of modern ones that cover well and have colors that are just as vibrant if not more vibrant?

depends on how you feel about the delicious taste of cadmium

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

depends on how you feel about the delicious taste of cadmium

"oh you said add CARDAMOM"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Retro Warhammer is the "in" thing right now, and some people have convinced themselves that they absolutely need the same experience of watery/chunky paints from the 1990s to truly understand what it was like to paint Warhams in the early days :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'd rather use gouache paints like John Blanche and some of the studio team apparently used

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'd rather use gouache paints like John Blanche and some of the studio team apparently used

My painting is always gauche

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Muir posted:

My painting is always gauche

XD

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for the tips with my trolls, got me moving with them again.
Thought I'd use my newly built light box to show off too!
First guys I've painted since childhood:

Some of the eyes came out weird but overall I'm happy with my first attempts in years!

Some elves:

Again I got some weird eyes, but the mushrooms on the back of the little wood dude look great!

And these guys I did yesterday, proud of how good they look for a days work!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Nice! A simple black wash on all those metals will really make a difference.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have the bottles already and only ever use them for spot colors. Black Red is still my go-to for spear shafts, for instance.

I have a bottle of VGC Jade Green I bought in 2006 that I’ve maybe used twice

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jonny Nox posted:

don't spray them either.

Cease to Hope posted:

or oranges or yellows too. in general you should always have a proper mask for airbrushing regardless of the paint, but anything that said "DO NOT AIRBRUSH" is probably a heavy metal paint

How old are we talking? I have a few old VMC red/orange/yellow from maybe the mid-late 00s.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

I have the bottles already and only ever use them for spot colors. Black Red is still my go-to for spear shafts, for instance.

I have a bottle of VGC Jade Green I bought in 2006 that I’ve maybe used twice

Well ok that makes sense. I should have phrased it "why buy NOS vintage paints instead of modern ones?"

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Here are my new old style epic Marines, I just can’t decide on a colour scheme:

My gut was to go with the rogue trader space, wolves scheme but now that it’s on the miniature I’m not sure. I want to avoid green because that’s the colour of my gaming table, and red because that’s what my opponent is going to paint his eldar with!

Any thoughts or opinions gladly taken!

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Muir posted:

Nice! A simple black wash on all those metals will really make a difference.

I wish I hadn't already varnished them all!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

My gut was to go with the rogue trader space, wolves scheme but now that it’s on the miniature I’m not sure. I want to avoid green because that’s the colour of my gaming table, and red because that’s what my opponent is going to paint his eldar with!

I really like Space Wolves as a color scheme. They stand out against almost anything and the light grey armor vs black weapon makes them easy to read. What you have out there looks great to me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lord Banana posted:

I wish I hadn't already varnished them all!

Don't let that stop you!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

How old are we talking? I have a few old VMC red/orange/yellow from maybe the mid-late 00s.

They only managed to go heavy metal free in 2014. There was probably some time for vendors to clear old stock after that.

The bottles with cadmium are labelled as do not spray. Assuming the label printing didn’t rub off or get covered with paint.

I don’t spray any of my old paints, personally.

It’s funny, the comment was meant as a joke, I didn’t mean to kick off a discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Space Wolves! Seriously though, that one really pops, the color scheme seems perfect for the scale, excellent contrast. That rhino looks excellent!