Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It really should’ve been 2-1 Astros, except with them winning last night and the Angels winning tonight. Each bullpen blew a 4 run lead.

Not really sure what the Astros should do at the deadline. Obviously not sell, but staying put is looking like a better option than trying to rent another championship. There are way too many holes in the pitching staff and the Astros can’t plug them all. The best approach might be to try to slug their way deep in the playoffs, and hope the BABIP gods favor their pitchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying this Kyle Bradish breakout season

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Giants swept the Pirates. They are a game and a half behind the Dodgers in the NL West, and hold the first wildcard spot, just ahead of Miami and Arizona. It will be interesting to see what Zaidi pulls off at the trade deadline.

You may have heard that the Giants didn't sign a star this offseason. Neither did lots of other teams, but supposedly we were screwed because we didn't sign Aaron Judge, or Carlos Correa, or Trea Turner, or Carlos Rodon, or Xander Bogaerts, and huh, turns out players don't generally get better and healthier when they hit their 30s, and you can't just buy a winning team.

Logan Webb has been a workhorse, pitching the most innings in MLB this year. Alex Cobb has also been very good. Anthony DeSclafani, Alex Wood, Ross Stripling, and Sean Manaea have been mediocre to bad, and we've tried to maximize what we can get out of them by using them as bulk relievers, using openers, piggybacking starters, etc. At times, 3/5 of the rotation has been bullpen games. Somehow, this has sorta worked. But we could absolutely use a SP at the deadline. So could every other team, of course.

The offense is very Zaidi-era Giants. No household names, but a deep roster full of guys Farhan dug up who work the count and get on base. Thairo Estrada has become a borderline star at 2B. JD Davis has become a fantastic defensive 3B and a solid hitter. The fanbase roasted Zaidi for moving on from Belt, but we replaced him with LaMonte Wade, who has the 5th best OBP in baseball, right between a couple of guys named Acuna and Freeman. And so on. But Thairo is out 6 weeks with a broken wrist. We could use an infielder.

We do finally have some prospects who are contributing. Luis Matos plays a mean center field, makes contact and gets on base. If he develops a bit of power, he's the CF of the future. Patrick Bailey has only played 42 games, but he's been one of the better catchers in baseball this year.

So here the Giants are again. Rebuilding and contending at the same time. Doubt we make any big moves but who knows. Maybe Farhan can work some magic.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
If the Giants have a serious-quality contact hitter that they can live without, maybe it'd turn out that the Twins could make a win-win trade with them. We have a number of quality pitchers for the first time in what feels like forever, but the hitting has been seriously struggling this year. Power isn't lacking, but a reliable hitter would be a very welcome addition.

Of course, I don't know which pitcher I'd even be willing to trade, out of fear. Having them is so nice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Angels think they should have swept while the Astros think the same. That series was something else

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1680769928352202757?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If that game wasn't a sign for the Angels to trade Ohtani, then I dont know what is

shut that nonsense. we are not manifesting that energy in this thread.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

The M's just staggered their way back to .500 for what seems like the 20th time. Astros good for three at least, with roughly a 70% chance of a sweep just because.

Speaking of frustrating teams that tread water and make being a fan a freaking non-stop chore....
Is there any way of finding THE MOST .500 TEAM?

Looking at the schedule, at one point the M's have been:

42-42
37-37
35-35
34-34
33-33
30-30
29-29
24-24
21-21
20-20
19-19
18-18
17-17
8-8
1-1

15 times in 84 games. That's probably not even very high. Assuming a maximum of being at .500 81 times in a 162 game season, any way of finding what team pulled it off the most times in a year?

EDit - quick google. The 1959 Cub were at .500 35 times.

The M's have spun their tires since this and added:

43-43
44-44
45-45
and their current 46-46.

At .500 19 different times in 92 games.

indeed.

Edit : I know nobody cares about anyone elses grid, but drat. The teams today were great for remembering 80s baseball. (It takes Expos for Nationals.)

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 17, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1680928406983024641

We love to try to create a new team in july to save our jobs.... don't we folks?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The next 2 weeks are pretty critical for these just outside of a playoff spot teams

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wonder why Yan Gomes plays so much and Miguel Amaya barely at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I wonder why Yan Gomes plays so much and Miguel Amaya barely at all.

Gomes is having a good year, but it drives me insane when I see Barnhart out there. Amaya is the future. Let him get reps instead a .450 OPS guy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankee business model depends on 5 or 6 playoff gates. They will do anything to make sure that happens.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
"We don't just need to fill an OF hole that we didn't fill in the offseason, we also have holes at these positions we didn't fill in the offseason either" is just tremendous incompetence

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

"We don't just need to fill an OF hole that we didn't fill in the offseason, we also have holes at these positions we didn't fill in the offseason either" is just tremendous incompetence

They did do stuff in the rotation and in the bullpen in the offseason and it's still not good enough lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

They did do stuff in the rotation and in the bullpen in the offseason and it's still not good enough lol

Signing Rodon was good but the fact that they went into another season thinking Severino could make it through is hilarious

e: who could have foreseen that both Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson would be trash and the only thing keeping both from being DFA'd is that Donaldson keeps ending up on the IL

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

THE CUBS ARE MAKING THEIR MOVE
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1680649239511064577?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why??

Edit: Oh no... Yan Gomes is gonna get traded

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The A's have been swept 13 times this season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Signing Rodon was good but the fact that they went into another season thinking Severino could make it through is hilarious

e: who could have forseen that both Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson would be trash and the only thing keeping both from being DFA'd is that Donaldson keeps ending up on the IL

The pitching is good enough to make the playoffs even getting nothing from Severino though them trading all their pitching depth for Montas remains shitbrained. It's incredible that they didn't see this coming with the lineup after being a mediocre team for most of the last 2 years even with Judge playing like loving Barry Bonds. They needed to drastically remake the lineup and they did literally NOTHING! lol

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 17, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
The Jays looked pretty good this weekend. I was surprised. Pretty consistent on offence through the whole series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Why??

Edit: Oh no... Yan Gomes is gonna get traded

Their emergency backup backup backup catcher in Iowa Dom Nunez just got hurt.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tucker Barnhart is about to be optioned, I'd assume. He's been really bad for the Cubs.

This is the DBacks selling a minor league 3/4th catcher in the farm for cash. Whatever.

Hope the Diamondbacks try to get a pitcher. I don't even mean a top rotation player, they need back end players.

I don't think they're all in nor should they be for this team yet.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit : I know nobody cares about anyone elses grid, but drat. The teams today were great for remembering 80s baseball. (It takes Expos for Nationals.)

I absolutely got stuck on Astros/Nats and ended up just brute forcing the Top 24 franchise guys by the end (and ended up with an 80s guy.) That so far seems like the lowest number of possible guys I've seen for a team/team combo.

But 8 of 9 were solid memories.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

R.D. Mangles posted:

Gomes is having a good year, but it drives me insane when I see Barnhart out there. Amaya is the future. Let him get reps instead a .450 OPS guy.
His April was good. Since then:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

His April was good. Since then:

.617 is a really good OPS for a Cubs catcher or first baseman.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Very excited for future Yankees Max Kepler and Emilio Pagan.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yan Gomes knew that the Cubs pitching a perfect game would be the end of the world, so he did the needful

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

rickiep00h posted:

I absolutely got stuck on Astros/Nats and ended up just brute forcing the Top 24 franchise guys by the end (and ended up with an 80s guy.) That so far seems like the lowest number of possible guys I've seen for a team/team combo.

But 8 of 9 were solid memories.

That one was easy for me because the Nats signed the same guy who blew game 7 for the Astros

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

That one was easy for me because the Nats signed the same guy who blew game 7 for the Astros

Also their journeyman announcer is a 1%-er

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I wonder if the Cubs would be interested in trading Stroman for the Jays' slightly used Mitch White. It's totally a fair and balanced trade!

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/1680904977026359298

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That Reds font is kinda huge, it only fits 5-6 characters in the “normal” spot

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

I wonder if the Cubs would be interested in trading Stroman for the Jays' slightly used Mitch White. It's totally a fair and balanced trade!

They probably need to throw in Bellinger!!!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Big fan of the name rainbow extending past the numbers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

That jersey puts Mark Grudzielanek's to shame

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kirios posted:

Big fan of the name rainbow extending past the numbers.

Should've just connected it at the bottom. I'd even buy one

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That jersey puts Mark Grudzielanek's to shame

As someone with an even longer last name that nobody outside of Poland can pronounce or spell correctly I can sympathize with Mark.

I also have a few jerseys from teams I've been on with my name on the back and usually they just shrink the font to like half the normal size.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Dril tweet for everything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Crushed!

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1681001992032862211?s=46&t=PZdu3FmlNyzr9wfuU9UK1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well that loving sucks, I'm just glad it didn't paralyze him or worse