Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dandywalken posted:

AR and SMG def feel ehh. The damage penalty for burst is too high imo.

Yeah i agree with this, it's kinda weird how wimpy automatic weapons are other than machine guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah, I've had decent success just single-tapping with AR's + a compensator, but at that point they're basically just worse rifles with a lovely burst option. They should just remove the damage penalty on bursts probably.

Shotguns have been pretty good for me though, especially the Auto-5 modified for range and with the Breach and Clear perk.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Exodee posted:

Yeah, I've had decent success just single-tapping with AR's + a compensator, but at that point they're basically just worse rifles with a lovely burst option. They should just remove the damage penalty on bursts probably.

Shotguns I've have been pretty good for me though, especially the Auto-5 modified for range and with the free movement perk.

Just wait til you get the AA-12 :getin:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The other problem is that chewing through a clip of ammo using bursts in an AR or SMG will eventually consign you to crafting to replenish. The game is surprisingly stingy with the ammo drops.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hopefully a fanmade balance pass isn't too far away. Lotta old nerds with opinions who need to make up for years of no JA to mod.

I wanna run my mercs with ARs and SMGs because it's cool. Optimal means nothing if it's not aesthetic.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
So with the ambush with Ghost at the mansion, thanks to whoever came up with the strat earlier in this thread to just run away and stealth everyone. I just ran everyone behind the little gazebo thingy which confused the hell out of the enemy and made that fight a breeze.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I wish perks had uses outside of combat. Something like increased operation speed, efficiency, generating crafting resources, anything.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

deep dish peat moss posted:

I restarted my save on the hardest difficulty and with a few mods, and it's making me realize just how poor pretty much every weapon type is in comparison to Rifles. Even the Gewehr 98, which you can find 5 guaranteed copies of on the starting island, outperforms top-tier guns from other categories. No wonder I was breezing through everything on my first playthrough, I had 3 M24s before the military rolled in.

The rifles have more potential damage per AP, can easily hit 100% hit chance with 1-2 aims (so 8-9 AP) and ~80 Marksmanship (even for headshots if you have elevation), and only need to roll their hit once. Compare that to an Assault Rifle that needs to hit a full 3-shot burst to do comparable damage, and even with 3 aims (8AP) you will have a hard time hitting 100% hit chance at any appreciable distance, especially for headshots (at practical engagement ranges my ARs have ~40-50% hit chance for bursts and ~60% hit chance for single shots with full aim).

Things lean far heavier in favor of Rifles when you start taking Stealth into account (one single source of damage is enough to kill an enemy, which means you don't lose Hidden status). But even without that, the best Assault Rifles in the game average out to roughly the same damage per turn as the absolute worst Rifle unless you're within a few tiles of the enemy (close enough to get a 100% hit chance burst fire headshot). By the time you get M24s, no other weapon can hope to compete in potential damage per turn.

The same goes for SMGs, shotguns, etc - the Rifle can delete one enemy per turn in nearly any conditions, and almost any other weapon needs perfect conditions to do the same. There are some exceptions like Machine Guns. And Pistols are pretty good, but they're just weaker Rifles.

Anyway all of this is to say that ARs and SMGs really need their effective range increased by like a solid 5+ tiles and/or their accuracy buffed a bit so that they can compete with Rifles, and Shotguns need to do like twice as much damage as they do now.

e: They're also the most ammo efficient guns, and work the best in bad weather, etc.

Yeah, this is definitely my experience. I want ARs to be more useful.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
The sight mount on the AA12 is just too hideous to use. I'm using the benelli instead, although it might just be better anyway with its higher base damage and range.

Agreed that ARs/SMGs are a bit weak compared to Rifles. Machine guns are good but a 1 per team item since they eat ammo like crazy. Shotguns are surprisingly great.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

brainwrinkle posted:

The other problem is that chewing through a clip of ammo using bursts in an AR or SMG will eventually consign you to crafting to replenish. The game is surprisingly stingy with the ammo drops.

I've not had a problem while using controlled busts. It helps if you have mercs all using different ammo types. If everyone is whipping aks around or the like it's going to decimate your ammo. I tend to keep a variety of ammo types spread among my guys and gals. Usually one AK /rpk, one shot gunner, one with pistols, one with a nato rifle, and a sniper

I trained up livewire's marksmanship and made her the dedicated sniper. As part of the weapon ammo variety thing I found a Winfield 1886, put a silencer and 10x scope on it and she's an absolute tack driver with it. Landing nearly impossible headshots constantly and never breaking stealth. And it uses 44 magnum, an ammo type I've got a million of rather than my WP or NATO ammo.

Long barrel shotguns are amazing also. It can blow someone's head off from way farther than you would expect, and the auto 5 costs like 4ap a shot.

Edit also I've got like a million billion 9mm, if you get a mp5 or dual wield uzis it can be with it to spend gunpowder and upgrade to the special ammo for them

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 17, 2023

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
No one has talked about Dr. Q itt yet. Give him a machete or just his fists and have him run around the map absolutely slaughtering bozos. His unique makes an enemy go unconscious on command. Facing a boss? Dr. Q's got it under control. Just have him hang out off to the side while the rest of your squad gets in the main engagement and then have Dr. Q roll in.

Man, I haven't lost an entire weekend to gaming in years. This game is great.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Steak posted:

No one has talked about Dr. Q itt yet. Give him a machete or just his fists and have him run around the map absolutely slaughtering bozos. His unique makes an enemy go unconscious on command. Facing a boss? Dr. Q's got it under control. Just have him hang out off to the side while the rest of your squad gets in the main engagement and then have Dr. Q roll in.

Man, I haven't lost an entire weekend to gaming in years. This game is great.

Dr Q is loving fantastic. Dedicated melee guys can be devastating

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I wasn't sure about them due their nature of having to expose themselves to the enemy. But perking them up with +grit combined with free moves they can very easily scurry back to cover after beating the poo poo out of a guy and are very resilient if they happen to be caught by some bullets

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey, when training someone does the trainer need to have a high wisdom to be an effective trainer as well or high leadership? Because I just did a round of training health with grizzly as the trainer. 5 mercs were being trained by him and they only got +1 health up, with one or two getting +2. What gives?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Wisdom is for learning, not for training from what I understand. Leadership and the teaching perk, combined with a high skill in whatever it is that you're teaching are what you want.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Trainer's LDR and having the Teaching perk increases the speed of training/stat gains during the 2 day period. Students with a higher WIS and larger skill gap between their teacher will also learn quicker, but I think the trainer's LDR is much more important. I had Raider teaching leadership classes and some people were gaining double digits in the 2 day period.

One of the meta IMP builds is pure shooter Teaching/Night Ops with maxed LDR so they can pass on their stats/skills to the weaker combat characters.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Gyoru posted:

The Trainer's LDR and having the Teaching perk increases the speed of training/stat gains during the 2 day period. Students with a higher WIS and larger skill gap between their teacher will also learn quicker, but I think the trainer's LDR is much more important. I had Raider teaching leadership classes and some people were gaining double digits in the 2 day period.

One of the meta IMP builds is pure shooter Teaching/Night Ops with maxed LDR so they can pass on their stats/skills to the weaker combat characters.

How's this for starting stats?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah that's pretty much perfect for the IMP. Make them either a Psycho or Negotiator personality since most people grab Scoundrels anyway (Livewire and/or Fox)

The cheapest Negotiator is Buns, who won't join if Fox is already recruited (she can join if you recruit Buns before Fox)
There are only 3 Psychos in Fidel, Meltdown, and Nails

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Gyoru posted:

Yeah that's pretty much perfect for the IMP. Make them either a Psycho or Negotiator personality since most people grab Scoundrels anyway (Livewire and/or Fox)

I did negotiator by default for the money. Would probably only do psycho on one specced for autofire.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
shotguns have a place in the form of crowd control, and perhaps more importantly shotgun shells can obv only be used in shotguns and you get plenty of those, so it's fairly economical

but you can also just carry two guns, so.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So far I think my best use for smgs is for say Mouse to have one, and a shotgun. Spend the turn approaching a target doing the run and spray and pray move, then next turn yank out the shotgun and give it to them.

SMGs just feel to be at a severe handicap at the moment. Really, really bad ammo economy and far too many grazing hits.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I spent hundreds of parts to give Fox two tricked out Uzis, and she is barely better than just taking a Winchester or the Confidante

it's not worth it right now

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I like to give my imp a bit of medical because it feels right in terms of immersion and because I just rewatched Master and Commander and I'm not gonna have Dr. Q in a tent with a mirror if Kalyna goes for an albatross.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I missed when everyone else was talking up Kalyna earlier but i really like the line she gets when a lady gets a kill. Its the best of the girl power kill lines I seen so far, Fox just has a generic you go girl and Livewire has a decent one but its not as fun on repeats as Kalyna's.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Did I miss out on something in the Abandoned mansion? Cleared out the outside and the guys inside, then went below and had no options to do anything much than kill the Ghost, but when I came back there was nothing new above ground. Leaving and returning doesn't give me anything new.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You could not kill the ghost

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Got the Fosse Noire mine as a reward after getting Pantagruel to 100% loyalty on my second run where I focus on the north side of the map and wow, it has straight up insane income, combined with Diamond Red I now make a ton of money and this is with 3 very expensive mercs(fidel, wolf, vicki) in my squad.

:10bux::10bux::10bux:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

You could not kill the ghost

Yeah, I hadn't found all the clues, and now there's something different.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

I missed when everyone else was talking up Kalyna earlier but i really like the line she gets when a lady gets a kill. Its the best of the girl power kill lines I seen so far, Fox just has a generic you go girl and Livewire has a decent one but its not as fun on repeats as Kalyna's.

I think Mouse’s is hilarious because she starts instinctively flirting with the woman getting the sick kill, gets self conscious, and tries to walk it back.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Gyoru posted:

Ok so what i'm hearing, on my second read of this post, is to train trainers up in leadership first and then get them to pass on their 90+ attributes to others when the IMP trainer can't cut it anymore.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matt141 posted:

Got the Fosse Noire mine as a reward after getting Pantagruel to 100% loyalty on my second run where I focus on the north side of the map and wow, it has straight up insane income, combined with Diamond Red I now make a ton of money and this is with 3 very expensive mercs(fidel, wolf, vicki) in my squad.

If you visit that mine there's a bunch of wisdom checks you can make to increase the income too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

brainwrinkle posted:

I think Mouse’s is hilarious because she starts instinctively flirting with the woman getting the sick kill, gets self conscious, and tries to walk it back.

oh lol, i should grab mouse

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mouse is great. Fun stealth character. You are best not using her in a party with Fox though, unless you want to just eat the morale penalty.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah, Mouse's flirting is cute. Her really high agility has made her excellent for flanking too.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its too bad they didnt do corpse clean up like in JA2. Huge missed feature of that game.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Matt141 posted:

How did you get it to 100%? Was it just a matter of time or did you have to do the various quests related to the town? I captured it and the town late last night and haven't had a chance to look into it beyond getting the hospital up.

Also where am I supposed to spread the communist propaganda pamphlets?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

TheWeedNumber posted:

How's this for starting stats?

lmfao this is gonna be hilarious

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i already put 8 hours in but i am just going to do a reset lol, I want a IMP that doesn't suck and while I can certainly get through the game without any problems I feel like now I just want to do everything a bit better now that I know how to.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

She did this in my game with Meltdown

Meltdown gave her the gay sweats and it was hilarious, full on 'I'm in danger' territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Steak posted:

How did you get it to 100%? Was it just a matter of time or did you have to do the various quests related to the town? I captured it and the town late last night and haven't had a chance to look into it beyond getting the hospital up.

Also where am I supposed to spread the communist propaganda pamphlets?

I went around showing the communist manifesto which combined with doing quests, killing legion etc. eventually got me to 100%, I was able to show it to people in conversations in the refugee camp, fleatown, even the abandoned mansion butler and such. This was after uh, "upgrading" the pamphlet with the suggestions from the brothel owner.