Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yet another game where mines are op and have to be nerfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Yet another game where mines are op and have to be nerfed

Slava Ukraini

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Imagine 4 mines on the edge of a cliff

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ive died to claymores like 3 times in the ~30 hours ive played. You have to have zero situational awareness for them to be a big issue

the AP mines are a lot harder to spot and we'll probably see them used a lot more now

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

imagine four mines on the edge of -

loquacius posted:

Imagine 4 mines on the edge of a cliff

GOD drat IT

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my immersion!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive died to claymores like 3 times in the ~30 hours ive played. You have to have zero situational awareness for them to be a big issue

the AP mines are a lot harder to spot and we'll probably see them used a lot more now

in like 100 hours probably 90-95% of my claymore deaths have been while intentionally walking through areas that i know you can't see claymores in because i'm trying to put my own in them

huge win for the lean macro scrub lobby though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1680925831835648000?t=88E-Yf2zDj-9eZmANJZiaA&s=19

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

decided to treat myself and pick up some classics I always wanted to play but never got around to/games from my childhood I remember but haven't enjoyed as an adult on GOG, trying to decide where to start

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

undying is good and I actually recommend you read that little book that had all the family's journals in it before starting because it's one of the best lore supplements I've ever seen in a game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

also all of the kirk point n clicks are gold star entries in the genre, get judgment rites if you liked 25th anniversary

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

undying is good and I actually recommend you read that little book that had all the family's journals in it before starting because it's one of the best lore supplements I've ever seen in a game

oh hell yeah I love stuff like that, Barker’s tendency to actually invest serious personal effort into game/media ephemera is always dope and it’s a shame developers don’t do that anymore. I’m sure the GOG version came with that so I will do so, good to know it’s actually a competent shooter too, I looked up a gameplay video and skipped to a random spot where the player was shooting werewolves on some blocky moors with a revolver and thought, cool, I’m into that

Buck Wildman posted:

also all of the kirk point n clicks are gold star entries in the genre, get judgment rites if you liked 25th anniversary

will keep that in mind thanks, I do love the aesthetic and the way the TOS cast is rendered in these. I vaguely remember these being regarded as a big deal for the voice cast and animations back in the day. I’m mostly stoked to try it because I think it was either the first or one of the first games I ever played, my dad bought a copy when it came out and I was like three and when I was five or six I figured out how to install it on our beige Mac via floppy disks but couldn’t actually get anywhere in it, I got too distracted/confused as a stupid child, but I suspect as a stupid adult it will be just right

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jul 17, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's both a solid lovecraftian narrative experience and a p good run'n'gun shooty time with a lot of surreal setpieces and weaponry

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd never heard of the soldier of fortune game prior to civvies video and I couldn't believe how the game turns into metal gear about halfway through

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Frog Act posted:

will keep that in mind thanks, I do love the aesthetic and the way the TOS cast is rendered in these. I vaguely remember these being regarded as a big deal for the voice cast and animations back in the day. I’m mostly stoked to try it because I think it was either the first or one of the first games I ever played, my dad bought a copy when it came out and I was like three and when I was five or six I figured out how to install it on our beige Mac via floppy disks but couldn’t actually get anywhere in it, I got too distracted/confused as a stupid child, but I suspect as a stupid adult it will be just right

make sure you have the star map downloaded and open while you play otherwise it's impossible to do the necessary navigation lol. this was the game's form of DRM back in the day

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SoF2 is a big step back in gameplay from SoF1 but it's still an interesting relic from when you could basically adapt unused Cannon Film treatments to FPSes, it's worth experiencing if you're into that era but it's also pretty shallow and dry so if you stop feeling it you won't miss anything by bailing before you finish

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

decided to treat myself and pick up some classics I always wanted to play but never got around to/games from my childhood I remember but haven't enjoyed as an adult on GOG, trying to decide where to start

There's a universe out there where instead of Diablo 3 we got Nox 3. I'd invent a whole multiverse to live there and play that game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

There's a universe out there where instead of Diablo 3 we got Nox 3. I'd invent a whole multiverse to live there and play that game.

hell, same

there’s still a multiplayer community out there for it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

SoF2 is a big step back in gameplay from SoF1 but it's still an interesting relic from when you could basically adapt unused Cannon Film treatments to FPSes, it's worth experiencing if you're into that era but it's also pretty shallow and dry so if you stop feeling it you won't miss anything by bailing before you finish

interesting, retarding SOF1’s gameplay. I actually played SOF2 a lot in like 2016 or so and spent a good amount of time in the multiplayer, which I am tentatively hoping is still active. you’re absolutely right about it being a fairly middling example of what games were like back then but I liked it well enough like eight years ago and look forward to trying it again,!-&: your post makes me wanna try SOF1 as well, which I never actually did play

Buck Wildman posted:

make sure you have the star map downloaded and open while you play otherwise it's impossible to do the necessary navigation lol. this was the game's form of DRM back in the day

lol word, I’m gonna ask my dad if he still has the physical copy from the copy we got back in 1992. unlikely since he has no capacity to discern value in nerd ephemera and threw out a bunch of valuable stuff several times but you never know

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I was only familiar with it in the saw it at ebgames as a kid / rare posts referencing it but the second I saw the xtreme 90s style isekai premise about an ORDINARY DUDE who was SENT TO A MAGICAL REALM THROUGH HIS TV I was sold instantly glad to hear it’s also regarded as a good game in its own right

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Empire Earth is a game I have very fond memories of, the novel experience of taking your civilization from the stone age to nuclear bombers to mechs and lasers blew my mind. The campaigns were all well-constructed and definitely worth playing and doing huge map skirmishes against as many bots as possible will give you a lot of fun. Island maps were the best, figuring out how to siege and land your troops on a heavily-fortified enemy island is a blast.

poo poo now I wanna play Empire Earth again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Empire Earth is a game I have very fond memories of, the novel experience of taking your civilization from the stone age to nuclear bombers to mechs and lasers blew my mind. The campaigns were all well-constructed and definitely worth playing and doing huge map skirmishes against as many bots as possible will give you a lot of fun. Island maps were the best, figuring out how to siege and land your troops on a heavily-fortified enemy island is a blast.

Every time Empire Earth comes up I have to post that nukes make it unplayable, though, because fully-upgraded buildings can withstand a nuclear blast but an invading army can't, so every time you mount an invasion against an enemy with nuclear capabilities they just nuke their own territory to wipe your dudes out. Dunno if they ever patched that out but they should have because I always felt like that ruined its potential.

stone-age-only games were better than base rules imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Buck Wildman posted:

undying was actually also pretty spooky back in the day no idea how it holds up now. also did a lot of stuff with finding upgrades for your weapons and spells that the dishonored games did

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

same my grandma bought it for me when I was like 11 thinking it was age of empires and it ended up sucking me in big time. I think you hit on what made it special, which is that it was uniquely ambitious chronologically and went nuts on unit variety, there are like 300+ and it just felt like there was more of everything compared to other RTS games that didn’t over you the chance to take cavemen and guide them into a nanobot future

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the scythe is also my favorite melee weapon in a game to this day

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

Every time Empire Earth comes up I have to post that nukes make it unplayable, though, because fully-upgraded buildings can withstand a nuclear blast but an invading army can't, so every time you mount an invasion against an enemy with nuclear capabilities they just nuke their own territory to wipe your dudes out. Dunno if they ever patched that out but they should have because I always felt like that ruined its potential.

stone-age-only games were better than base rules imo

there was a problem of resources too where inevitably the map would run dry and "winning" meant spending hours mopping up enemies that couldn't offer real resistance. the game was not really balanced for playing through all the epochs. that might have changed in the expansion where you could mine other planets?

the few times I tried multi-player I got my rear end beat by hordes of dragoons while I was running bronze age archers and the like, tbf I think cheating was rampant.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Frog Act posted:

your post makes me wanna try SOF1 as well, which I never actually did play

SoF1 is an absolute cartoon, and for the better. CV11 just did a good video recapping his first playthrough and while im not entirely as gently caress-hot about the game as he is i still agree that it works great as a fun, campy, self-indulgent power fantasy bloodbath - at one point he compares it to Deathwish 3 and id say that's just about dead on.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

those are obviously eggs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the "correct" way to play empire earth was on gamespy with "random starting age, 3 ages only, 3-4 players, medium map (which was one of the smaller iirc?)" rules. that way you'd get quick and sweet games, and due to the amount of ages, almost no 2 subsequent games would feature the same units, it was hilariously amazing

also i loved staying in ww1 age every time that was possible because ww1 had partisans that could path through forests and shoot at aircraft with their guns, unlike any other unit in the game, and they were only available in ww1 age. you could completely shut down people by hitting their poo poo randomly through forests, then hiding again

unfortunately lamespy is superdead :rip:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

SoF1 is an absolute cartoon, and for the better. CV11 just did a good video recapping his first playthrough and while im not entirely as gently caress-hot about the game as he is i still agree that it works great as a fun, campy, self-indulgent power fantasy bloodbath - at one point he compares it to Deathwish 3 and id say that's just about dead on.

I’ll take a gander at that, thanks. it’s kinda funny though, my admittedly vague recollection of SOF2’s campaign from fairly recently is that it was also a totally absurd aggregation of jingoistic sentiments and end-of-history operator tropes dialed up eleven but absent any actual self awareness about what they’re doing. so if the first one is, relative to that, regarded as an even more ludicrous version of that, then yeah I’m def gonna grab that and play them in order

I do hope multiplayer is still active i remember it as a kind of odd confluence of the COD military fetish stuff to come and the quake arena stuff that came before it which worked really well

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
undying was really good at the time

i expect it looks far too graphically dated to be spooky at all now, gameplay probably holds up though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the main thing i remember from undying that it has some really well done monster closets used as jump scares lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

undying was actually also pretty spooky back in the day no idea how it holds up now. also did a lot of stuff with finding upgrades for your weapons and spells that the dishonored games did

it deffo holds up if you're untroubled by the dated graphics at this point

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

undying was really good at the time

i expect it looks far too graphically dated to be spooky at all now, gameplay probably holds up though

the part where youre wandering through a catacomb hearing this weird singing sound only to find its the corpse of the family's dead mother trying to sing a lullaby was bone chilling

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I don’t care about dated graphics, I’d be bothered if there was some notable gameplay issue that made things unpleasant like with an unpatched Bloodlines or Elite Force or whatever but recently I’ve found that the kind of unalloyed gameplay of shooters from that era feels very comfy, the absence of a super busy UI and shitloads of unlocks and ADS systems and stuff makes other issues a lot easier to tolerate. idk if that’s just nostalgia from being a tween in the early 2000s and thus cementing an association between those styles of gameplay and graphics and the idea of carefree fun but I do think there’s something genuinely important about that distinction

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Frog Act posted:

yeah I don’t care about dated graphics, I’d be bothered if there was some notable gameplay issue that made things unpleasant like with an unpatched Bloodlines or Elite Force or whatever but recently I’ve found that the kind of unalloyed gameplay of shooters from that era feels very comfy, the absence of a super busy UI and shitloads of unlocks and ADS systems and stuff makes other issues a lot easier to tolerate. idk if that’s just nostalgia from being a tween in the early 2000s and thus cementing an association between those styles of gameplay and graphics and the idea of carefree fun but I do think there’s something genuinely important about that distinction

Meta progression can feel heavy at times and weigh the whole experience down. Sometimes I don't want a skill tree, or crafting, or upgrades, or assigning points. A sparse game that just is the game itself can have a really nice feel. Like Metroid Prime, where 0.1% of your time will be spent in a menu, and you never have to worry about numbers. All gameplay all the time. There are games today that still work like this, but they are the exception. I would associate this sparse game design style with the early 00s too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Ukraini

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7204804267092217094

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nox is great

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DoombatINC posted:

i am pretty sure my younger self was convinced this was the most realistic and badass shooter ever made. i do not remember a single thing except apparently it had realistic reload animations??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the only thing i remember is a silly demo of sof where people got gibbed up real good when you shot them lol