Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kvantum posted:

You're probably looking for a Hyper 7. https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

$500 USD for a 173% abomination of an aircraft carrier (the class of keyboards even larger than so-called "battleships" that have more than 108 keys.)

oh, jesus. on one hand, yes, I am. on the other, I can in no way justify $500 on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kvantum posted:

You're probably looking for a Hyper 7. https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

$500 USD for a 173% abomination of an aircraft carrier (the class of keyboards even larger than so-called "battleships" that have more than 108 keys.)

:popeye:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kvantum posted:

badass

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kvantum posted:

how the gently caress do you design a keyboard double the size and with like 200 keys and *still* manage to put a bunch of keys in non-standard places and with shrunk sizes?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how the gently caress do you design a keyboard double the size and with like 200 keys and *still* manage to put a bunch of keys in non-standard places and with shrunk sizes?

I have no idea. The sick, sad thing of it is, though, part of me wants to use this as the base for a chimera of a monstrosity of my ultimate dream layout. A battleship, but based around a 75% Alice layout for the main alphas, with thumb clusters like an Ergodox instead of just spacebars, and the two side banks (one as a numpad), and the top rows. I guess the whole thing should be modular then. Left bank, right bank, top rows, left alpha, right alpha. 5 modules, 2 PCBs for each of the left and right banks, so 7 PCBs. I'd probably only need, what, $3000 for prototyping? Who wants in on the group buy? /s

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

that's really pretty

hey, this is probably the right place to ask: where should I be looking if I want modern keyboard quality but some kind of grotesquely 1980s depravity? looks like my boss is going to walk over with his coffee and cigarette and be annoyed that I don't have an ashtray, maybe has a billion keys, and when the keys light up it either means there's a soviet missile launch or there's so much smog all our stuff broke

a couple cheaper options

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q3-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40469149548633

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q3-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40036144218201

model f isn't much cheaper than the above but does model m type boards
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/store/

unicomp is worth looking at too https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 18, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Kvantum posted:

this thing better have a RUB OUT key

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/corsair-is-buying-diy-mechanical-keyboard-brand-drop/

quote:

Corsair is buying DIY mechanical keyboard brand Drop
Drop claims enthusiast roots will remain but product availability could improve.

Corsair is acquiring Drop, the companies announced today. Corsair is already the parent company of other gaming peripherals and PC brands it previously acquired, including Elgato and Origin PC. The latest acquisition adds a brand that's well-known among mechanical keyboard builders to the company's catalog.

though if memory serves, they don't have any original designs?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

they have a few but most of their offerings seem to be resales.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the new framework 16 laptop has swappable keyboards (with or without numpad), per-key RGB, and QMK firmware. switches aren’t swappable afaik, but it’s the first laptop I’ve seen with QMK

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

man, some of those are really nice. I might have jumped on the keychron already (buying from Amazon or somewhere else) if it were backlit

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

disaster pastor posted:

man, some of those are really nice. I might have jumped on the keychron already (buying from Amazon or somewhere else) if it were backlit

Both the Q3 pro and the normal Q3 have RGB backlighting, with south facing LEDs. It's just that they don't include shine though caps for them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Both the Q3 pro and the normal Q3 have RGB backlighting, with south facing LEDs. It's just that they don't include shine though caps for them.

oh poo poo

gotta find some 80s style clunky ugly (but not actually ugly) shinethroughs, and I guess a numpad to put on the left to fulfill my desire for BUTTONS

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

disaster pastor posted:

oh poo poo

gotta find some 80s style clunky ugly (but not actually ugly) shinethroughs, and I guess a numpad to put on the left to fulfill my desire for BUTTONS

I have the Keychron Q0 numpad and it’s nice

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

oh poo poo

good luck op:

post hole digger posted:

i have a code keyboard and like it but wish i could find pbt osa or dsa keycaps with shine through for it. seems like they dont really exist tho

report back if you find any

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I want new keycaps for my kinesis but I still can’t find the special shift key or space bars. what’s a good split keyboard with tenting and wrist rests? or should I just tim tyler it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Silver Alicorn posted:

this thing better have a RUB OUT key

/Far Side comic about mob bosses moving with the times

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I have the Keychron Q0 numpad and it’s nice

I have mine to the left of my Q10. Yes, it is quite nice, and fully VIA programmable with the possibility of multiple layers.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
saw some nice ducky keyboards but no happyhacker in the first electronics store i went to in japan. the search continues

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those solenoid keyboards are getting youtube clicks so i'm thinking of doing a little project, in which i load up a 60% with some nice blues and have every keypress pull the trigger of a .22 caliber powder actuated nailgun
you want clack? i'll give clack

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I've been wanting to do something similar for some time now so keep me posted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can't actually link it to a real gun which would be funnier, yes, but this dude i knew back in my early 20s learned about all sorts of ATF regulations and specifically one that said that the trigger of a gun must be actuated by a live human finger attached to somebody

(he built a big RC car and put an AK74 and a webcam on top and did get a Visit from dudes in suits)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
down with powder actuated microswitches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like doing the typewriter carriage return motion but it's also the HK slap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

burning swine posted:

yeah I like everything else about the code, the keycaps were pretty disappointing.

mine came with no keycaps, so im not sure how the native ones were. doubleshot pbt is glorious however

dunno about the famine layouts but these do look super nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

those solenoid keyboards are getting youtube clicks so i'm thinking of doing a little project, in which i load up a 60% with some nice blues and have every keypress pull the trigger of a .22 caliber powder actuated nailgun
you want clack? i'll give clack

blues are awful

youve got a model m there huh? you'll be so profoundly disappointed with the click (not clack) of blues

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

blues are awful

youve got a model m there huh? you'll be so profoundly disappointed with the click (not clack) of blues

wait really? why do you say that I have a code keyboard with browns and was thinking about getting one with blues next.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blues are fine but they aren’t substitutes for model m clack

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

blues are fine but they aren’t substitutes for model m clack

Not even Kailh Box Navies beat the Model M.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

blues are awful

not only did you completely miss the point of the post but i already have a keyboard with those switches and quite like them

e: also that M is a shelf artifact curiosity, i need a windows key irl

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
my 'tism doesn't let me like that the reset and activation points aren't the same on the blues, but supposedly the box whites fix that, and it feels true on this board

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you also conscious of 'bottoming out' or whatever, genuinely curious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

not only did you completely miss the point of the post

lol I didn't realise you were new around here

post hole digger posted:

wait really? why do you say that I have a code keyboard with browns and was thinking about getting one with blues next.

well it's kinda weird that people have different opinions to this but here are mine :

the click on the blues is kinda annoying. its absolutely like a tinny plastic click

BUT it's probably because I find them too light and I make too many typos on them. which is why I like clears. and I heard greens are just blues but stronger like clears are and I would love to know what that experience is like and then mabe I would enjoy the click idk

you should be able to rent these things imo. those tester things that have a million different switches might be interesting but surely they can't help you know if you "vibe" with a 'board

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

post hole digger posted:

blues are fine, I like them a lot

echi id send you my key tester if we were on the same continent but greens are literally just blues with a stronger spring, if you don’t like the click you won’t like greens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't particularly like the "click", but I'm trying to remember if browns have the same feel as blues aside from the click.

I like the idea of a more tactile "break through" mechanism which is why I am intrigued by greens... but also not enough to do anything about it because tbh I am very happy with clears... but curiosity

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Browns feel mushy as hell, barely a step up from a membrane imo. I hear clears are better though.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am going to buy a keychron q3 and some box jade switches and build a new keyboard i think. make something that i will get yelled at for using too late at night.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2023

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

post hole digger posted:

i am going to buy a keychron q3 and some box jade switches and build a new keyboard i think. make something that i will get yelled at for using too late at night.

If you're buying from Keychron direct, I'd recommending spending the $20 for switches and keycaps, just to have them as backups if nothing else.

Of course everyone's customer service experiences would say buy from Amazon or another 3rd party with a better returns policy, so YMMV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you don’t return keyboards, you just grow your parts stash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i bought them from dvinikey.com which i dont know anything about, but had the model i wanted in stock and everyone says buying direct from keychron is bad if you ever need to actually talk to someone.