Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Part of the problem with BZ1 redux is they improved the vehicle AI aiming so it's a lot harder to take on, say, 2 to 1 odds, which you are expected to do pretty regularly in the campaigns.

BZ2 never felt as good for me as BZ1. I blame the move to a more RTS focus, making the game a lot of the time just an alright RTS instead of an interesting hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
God drat, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is straight up busted on higher framerates. I've had TWO critical puzzles just not work properly until I turned on Vsync and halved my refresh rate. The first one at least was obviously broken, you're supposed to turn a crank and it doesn't actually move. The second one I went through several iterations of it not working but almost seeming like it should, checking online, seeing suggestions getting it partly fixed until I had to reload a checkpoint and cap my FPS again. Then of course there's all the minor visual bugs like flags waving super fast and the rappelling visuals glitching out. I'm glad I never bought this one and am just playing it through family share. The complaints about how little combat there is are very real also, at least so far.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tempora Mutantur posted:

this is from a while ago and I don't think anyone answered, so as someone who played the original LegionTD as a custom map for a looooong time, the main differences are:

tldr: mechabellum is a direct autobattle between player armies focused on unit positioning and tech choices, whereas legion TD is more autobattler-via-tower-defense (i.e. in mechabellum, the two armies engage directly, there's no sending creeps at one another)

- there is no real "econ" in mechabellum; everyone gets the same number of unit deployments and credits every turn, with some exceptions/depending on the specific choices they make

- everyone shares the same unit pool in mechabellum, *but* every unit can slot up to four different tech upgrades which each player can customize before games and which still have to be actually unlocked during a given round (and the enemy can see what you've slotted)

- generally speaking, every round you and your opponent will know what the other *can* do, but you won't know for sure until the next round; as mentioned everyone has the same unit pool, and between rounds each player sees the same 4 random upgrade cards, so if you see say +1 deployments / napalm bomb / better shields / faster units, you know the enemy *might* take napalm and have to decide if you want to protect against that, risk it, or do the same thing back, and you won't know till the next round (only exception is round 1 starting units and specializations which are randomized and each player sees 4 options that the other player DOESN'T see, but the units are still unlockable in the round)

imo mechabellum is the perfect evolution of autobattlers that removes the vast majority of RNG, because even the RNG of round cards is mitigated by the fact that you can prepare

Thanks for this post btw! I bought Mechabellum and it's cool, but I got sucked into Legion TD2 again so I'm going to put off on learning Mechabellum until I get sick of Legion again

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Unreal_One posted:

Part of the problem with BZ1 redux is they improved the vehicle AI aiming so it's a lot harder to take on, say, 2 to 1 odds, which you are expected to do pretty regularly in the campaigns.

Yea, I was totally unable to perform basic mission tasks on normal difficutly in the remaster as it turns out having fair fights is disastrous for a solo-tank commando mission, which is all of them. The tragedy is that it's such a well-meaning change too: people noticed that their AI allies where bumbling morons who spent a lot of time in a fight wiggling around trying to compensate for getting knocked around instead of actually shooting. So they fixed it, your allies now fight quite well in big teamfights, but... so do the enemies. So when before you'd find an enemy tank and just slam on it with the basic AT stabber and keep it knocked off balance until it dies, now it just laughs at you and returns fire, RIP.

I know I'm just reiterating what you said but I want 3rd parties readers to share my pain, in older RTS's the jank is instrumental to the balance, as it turned out.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Thanks for the recs folks, much appreciated!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Weedle posted:

apology song played on the hunting horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSpaLObDL4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am :stoked: like nothing else for remnant 2 next week

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How toxic are players in Legion TD2? WC3 custom games weren’t really known for chill players unless you were playing Tag the Peon or Wolf RP.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Owl Inspector posted:

Holy poo poo that's next week?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

That, and the Expanse adventure game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My friends are really pumped for Remnant 2 and I'm just nervously checking my balance and all the upcoming games because I'm certainly not gonna be left out if all of them get it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
remnant 1 had some rough edges but a very strong foundation, I’m optimistic about the next one

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxxidation posted:

remnant 1 had some rough edges but a very strong foundation, I’m optimistic about the next one

Yeah it is absolutely the kind of game that deserves a sequel, great ideas but rough around the edges. If they just polished that formula it'll be fantastic

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm guessing Remnant 2 is not on Gamepass? If I search for it all I get are results for the first game. It was fun enough for gamepass but not something I'm gonna drop $50+ on.

Just so desparately bored of everything lately. BG3/Starfield need to get here ASAP :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remnant 2 is already in Steam's top-sellers, over a week out. Those types of games usually aren't on gamepass.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I said come in! posted:

That, and the Expanse adventure game.

hope it turns out good, but feeling bit sceptical about it.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Sab669 posted:

I'm guessing Remnant 2 is not on Gamepass? If I search for it all I get are results for the first game. It was fun enough for gamepass but not something I'm gonna drop $50+ on.

Just so desparately bored of everything lately. BG3/Starfield need to get here ASAP :negative:

The first one didn't launch on Gamepass, but came there eventually. That's my plan for 2

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

funkmeister posted:

The first one didn't launch on Gamepass, but came there eventually. That's my plan for 2

I've been burned enough times by gamepass cross-play fuckery that I don't bet on multiplayer games there anymore. Better off buying it on steam if I really want to play it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sab669 posted:

Just so desparately bored of everything lately.
Yeah. I’m looking forward to Starfield but I’m also incredibly prepared for it being an unremarkable snoozefest after 10 hours of play.

Cautiously optimistic for Stalker 2 but all the baggage of that series plus the challenges of making a game while your own country is fighting for it’s literal survival is a big ask.

Cities Skylines 2 and Life By You (the sims clone) could be good but I’m even more anxious about those.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glad Cities Skylines 2 is coming to day 1 game pass. I like city building / management sims, but many of them nowadays cant hold my attention for long. Growing up, I could play them for hours at a time. Skylines 2 will also likely be a huge step down in features from the first game, will be built back up with paid DLC.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

my late summer and fall is going to be full, Baldur's Gate 3 and Armored Core 6 launch in august which im excited for and unfortunately i have decided to put myself through the ordeal of playing another bethesda game at launch and have pre-ordered starfield despite my expectations being being so incredibly low i'll be impressed if the game even runs on day 1

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a Bethesda game, so of course there will be bugs, but I dunno I'm not expecting something as sloppy as Cyberpunk was. They've been working on it forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was that interview last month after the Xbox Showcase, where whoever it was that was at Xbox (not Phil Spencer) that claimed Starfield in its current development state (a month ago) could be completed from start to finish and would still also be the most polished Bethesda game released if it were to release right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

There was that interview last month after the Xbox Showcase, where whoever it was that was at Xbox (not Phil Spencer) that claimed Starfield in its current development state (a month ago) could be completed from start to finish and would still also be the most polished Bethesda game released if it were to release right now.

A bar so high you might trip.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I said come in! posted:

Skylines 2 will also likely be a huge step down in features from the first game, will be built back up with paid DLC.

This hasn’t been the case so far at least. They’re only like 40% through they developer diary series I guess but so far it’s been really solid feature wise.

You also want them to cut the bad features anyway. Either scrap the idea entirely or bring it back in an improved state in a future expansion.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I just beat Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it gave me a great laugh with the most anime twist I could imagine. In this fantastical, anime version of WWII, magical girls take the place of nuclear technology. Put a magical girl inside a generator and you get enormous amounts of energy. Set a magical girl off and you have a fantasy version of an atomic bomb.

Best laugh I've had since one of the plucky protagonists of Resonance of Fate turned out to be a literal school shooter in his backstory.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sab669 posted:

System Shock Remake bro. Good stuff and definitely not boring.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How is something like BG3 over steam remote play/parsec?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I said come in! posted:

i refuse to believe this until i play it myself

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Sab669 posted:

It's a Bethesda game, so of course there will be bugs, but I dunno I'm not expecting something as sloppy as Cyberpunk was. They've been working on it forever.

Long dev times aren't exactly a point in it's favor. For example, Cyberpunk was in development for around 9-ish years and we all saw how that launched. I figure I'll give it a month or so to finish cooking after release, then try it out on Gamepass. I'll buy it once the inevitable GOTY version releases with all the DLC (assuming it's not another turd like Redfall ended up being).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

i refuse to believe this until i play it myself

Ooh absolutely, will believe it when I see it. Starfield is a day 1 game pass title, so no risk.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There's a risk I'll sign up for gamepass and get access to every league champ again

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

game pass was cool when i had it but it does not seem to agree with my PC and i end up having to reinstall half the games every other day, i would've played starfield with it if that wasn't the case.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fwiw gamepass games no longer install in weird encrypted directories which caused most issues with running gamepass games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I only ever saw that after much troubleshooting and even an OS reinstall so Gamepass just doesn't exist to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hogama posted:

I only ever saw that after much troubleshooting and even an OS reinstall so Gamepass just doesn't exist to me.

wild rear end guess, but was the clock on the computer set correctly?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hogama posted:

Windows+ G, Enable

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Cyberpunk was a huge letdown for me, and it was a bit of a shame particularly because I went into it about as blind as you could be for that kind of game. I played it around launch once I got my RTX 3070 and was met with a game that really didn’t engage me in the slightest. I waited another year or so for the bugs to get ironed out (though I have a high jank tolerance anyway) but it really didn’t do anything for me. Witcher 3 was interesting enough that it made me overlook the medieval fantasy world which I usually hate, so I figured CP2077 was gonna be a slam dunk. Apparently there’s some big expansion DLC coming out and (because I apparently didn’t learn the first time) I’m curious and hopeful that maybe it could get me to enjoy Night City and the characters in it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The DLC is supposed to come with some pretty big Perk overhauls and other things like that getting patched into the base game too, IIRC. I'm pretty excited for that too, as a decent number of Perks were just kinda boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If I'm understanding correctly, it's also getting rid of the looter shooter numbered guns poo poo and making the weapons work more like Fallout or something, right?