Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Lambos and personal Mars harems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

gay picnic defence posted:

What do these idiots imagine is going to happen to their shares when that debt is restructured?

Hundreds of thousands of dollars each, they become the new wealthy elite, and I guess this Ryan Cohen guy they love so much will give each of them a kiss on the mouth.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

gay picnic defence posted:

What do these idiots imagine is going to happen to their shares when that debt is restructured?

to the moon in my brand new lambo

daddy musk is taking us to mars

death to the hedgies

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 16, 2023

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

More like sharting stocks

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
It never ends. Becker: buy my bags please.
https://twitter.com/ZssBecker/status/1680192831099371520

rest of the world: get crypto out of gaming for fucks sake. Despite meta going to poo poo, they want to believe.

https://twitter.com/johnmatosllc/status/1680578664541433857

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

for fucks sake posted:

More like sharting stocks

Paul Blarting stocks.

farting stocks.

Barting stocks?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

That's Wordwang!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
on the subject of buttcoin gaming, did that dookey ddump, sewer game ever progress to ever progress to its next thing?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm trying to remember something that happened that shows how Blockchain is worse than regular databases.

Am I right in thinking that there was an issue with the bitcoin ledger a few years back where about half the nodes on the network went out of sync with the other half, causing there to be a need to spin out one half to a separate coin?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought that was because they disagreed with each other on a point of bit-theology?

(One faction wanted to increase the number of transactions that could happen every ten seconds, the other did not)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Analysts, place your bets: which cryptocurrency would have been most realistic as the one referenced over and over in the latest Mission Impossible? And which would have been the funniest?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It never ends. Becker: buy my bags please.
https://twitter.com/ZssBecker/status/1680192831099371520

rest of the world: get crypto out of gaming for fucks sake. Despite meta going to poo poo, they want to believe.

https://twitter.com/johnmatosllc/status/1680578664541433857

Didn't Axius crash after a big hack?

Also, do they still employ those singing triplets?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tsietisin posted:

I'm trying to remember something that happened that shows how Blockchain is worse than regular databases.

Am I right in thinking that there was an issue with the bitcoin ledger a few years back where about half the nodes on the network went out of sync with the other half, causing there to be a need to spin out one half to a separate coin?
Nothing needs to "happen". It's just not very good technology. It's like needing something to "happen" to explain why square wheels make a bicycle worse.

Also as always define "Blockchain" because it could mean anything from a full blown distributed proof of work cryptocurrency to an excel spreadsheet with "=BASE64SHA1(concat(A1,B1)" in cell B2.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Didn't Axius crash after a big hack?

Also, do they still employ those singing triplets?

Yes to Axie after their fantasy slave labor scenario crashed. The hack may as well have been an escape from the slave labor camps.

Triplets, no idea.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tsietisin posted:

The blockchain is low capacity and incredibly slow. Bitcoin could process what, like 6 transactions simultaneously until recently? It's a system wherein every write needs to negotiate a consensus of a bunch of parties at the same time, every time. It's a side effect of its security.

It is a very secure and theoretically tamperproof system of keeping records. But not for something that needs to be accessed very often.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Consensus cryptocurrency is one big dial labeled "security-convenience" and no matter where you spin it it's neither secure enough or convenient enough to justify it's existence.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Bitcoin could process what, like 6 transactions simultaneously until recently?

It’s roughly 10 minute chunks of time, nothing is real time. The 7/s number comes out of how many transactions can fit in a single chunk.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
When BBBY goes bankrupt, do the shares disappear or could these true believers still keep them and trade them to eachother for 0c forever?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I guarantee there are multiple different bbby stock certificate nft projects ready to jump on that moment no matter what happens in real life

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Sentient Data posted:

I guarantee there are multiple different bbby stock certificate nft projects ready to jump on that moment no matter what happens in real life

A smart one would put that out right now and get ahead of the curve, drop hints that it's part of the Teddy plan without ever saying anything they could get sued over

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean they only need a string of BBBBBBBs in the name, the galaxy brain stock traders got the correct Zoom , pokemon company , or n-name company.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CountryMatters posted:

When BBBY goes bankrupt, do the shares disappear or could these true believers still keep them and trade them to eachother for 0c forever?
They go away in every meaningful and legal sense, there is no longer an entity that those shares are tied to and the shares represent literally no value whatsoever because the underlying corporate entity has been dissolved or wholly subsumed by another entity. Brokerages will simply zero them out and force the loss when the bankruptcy cancels the outstanding shares; no one is going to let them trade what is in essence the deed cards from a Monopoly board game.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

at the same time there will be people who try to buy and sell physical BBBY stock certificates until the end of time. It will not end.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How much money are these BBBY suckers actually pumping into this stock?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How much money are these BBBY suckers actually pumping into this stock?

since going OTC the number of "bought more!" posts in the subreddit has significantly decreased, but before that seeing 5+ figure share counts was not uncommon.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The reason I ask is because there has been a recent recommendation in the UK of how to register shares that individuals hold. Instead of having paper certificates, how can the system be made completely electronic.

One of the suggestions or forward by this committee was effectively "put it on a Blockchain". This is obviously a bad idea. Australia looked into doing that and all they managed to achieve was spending a lot of money and getting nowhere.

Because of what I do for a living, there's a chance I can get some comments to this committee about what a stupid idea this would be.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

You have to keep hodling them with your diamond hands because any day now Ryan Cohen will create Gmerica, and topple amazon, and he will reward the faithful with lambos.

It really is a religious cult, its just that instead of your soul going to heaven you get a new car, that's....really sad when you think about it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Boxturret posted:

It really is a religious cult, its just that instead of your soul going to heaven you get a new car, that's....really sad when you think about it.

agreed but MOASS fan fiction NEVER gets old

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

They don't even really want the car either, just the status that comes with owning it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at the same time there will be people who try to buy and sell physical BBBY stock certificates until the end of time. It will not end.
Paper certificates are practically extinct. Certainly a company in bankruptcy like BBBY won't be in any position to offer them since there are quite a few legal requirements to make the paper comply with securities law. There's certainly the possibility of fanfiction securities that people will trade, but actual legit paper certificates are probably nonexistent right now -- at least any that were supposedly issued in the period where this mania existed.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zetamind2000 posted:

third eye opened enlightenment buddha nature

but more likely it's a redpill thing

It means young guys who smoke weed commonly mistake being high for being enlightened.

If there is any possible positive item for our society to come out of Joe Rogan's inexplicable popularity, I hope it's finally killing off the old High Times magazine notion that smoking weed actually makes you smarter/more creative/etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Looking forward to the movie in 2064 where everyone is trying to find the treasure grandpa hid on the property, only to find it is a chest chock full of worthless stock certificates for long dead companies.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking forward to the movie in 2064 where everyone is trying to find the treasure grandpa hid on the property, only to find it is a chest chock full of worthless stock certificates for long dead companies.

a treasure chest full of one billion iraqi dinars

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a treasure chest full of one billion iraqi dinars

that's already a trope, but usually it's confederate money

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

We all know Bison dollars is the currency of the future.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Timothy Dexter managed to have that actually pay off with pre-american-revolution currency, thus beginning the most insane example of failing upwards in American history

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://twitter.com/offlinecashco

The Bitcoin Note: Physical, secure #Bitcoin that you can easily share, spend or hold. “Crypto bros invent cash.”

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

coolusername posted:

https://twitter.com/offlinecashco

The Bitcoin Note: Physical, secure #Bitcoin that you can easily share, spend or hold. “Crypto bros invent cash.”

AHEM

Boxturret posted:

look at this fool

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

that's already a trope, but usually it's confederate money

The remaining confederate money now has value as a historical curiosity and collector's item so it doesn't work for the trope anymore. Find a cache of confederate bills and you might even be able to sell them for greater than the face value to some southern pride idiot.

Trope needs a fun new worthless thing to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I once found this old USSR dime and a coworker was convinced it was worth a fortune.