Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Franco Caution posted:

I wonder if some of the new videos where he has on guests/helpers is to get more people to watch the channel who are normally turned off by the videos that are just him.
Or it could be he is just rich now and wants to go do other poo poo with his day vs making videos with him in a parking lot over and over again.

It’s 1000% the latter. All the big YouTubers when they get enough capital will set it up in a way so it’s sustainable for them to step away somewhat or more than somewhat, and maintain significant revenue for the rest of their life. Doug in particular secured a sizable investment ($37M) for Cars and Bids and has brought other people in for content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

They just can’t build enough to meet demand. They’re a smash hit. You can always grab a base model from a flipper for $36k though!

Yeah that's what I meant- launching a volume vehicle that's popular from the jump into an environment rife with supply chain issues

Combined with dealers marking the loving things up like everything else makes it V unfortunate

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

It’s 1000% the latter. All the big YouTubers when they get enough capital will set it up in a way so it’s sustainable for them to step away somewhat or more than somewhat, and maintain significant revenue for the rest of their life. Doug in particular secured a sizable investment ($37M) for Cars and Bids and has brought other people in for content.

He's also said he's wanted to have people on for a long time, but hasn't because he was either busy focusing on what gets views for the channel and then eventually getting involved with C&B. So yea now that he doesn't need the YouTube money, he's more free to experiment with his channel and just do what he wants to do, such as have friends on and shoot the poo poo.

Like his recent videos with guests all get a fraction of the views of one of his regular reviews. So when you're dependent on that Ad money, it's hard to justify putting out that kind of content.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah he’s still doing the same twice a week solo videos, just adding some other stuff with friends because he can and it’s fun

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's one thing to not like his videos, but the weird amount of venom Doug gets on this forum is off-putting. Dude is incredibly harmless.

Agreed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/heres-what-hyundais-first-electric-n-car-looks-like

No real details, but :shrug:

Other than the extremely tired red pinstripe and performance blue paint, looks like just a regular Ioniq 5 to me. and hot take, performance blue didn't even look good when it was new, never mind now however many N cars later.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/heres-what-hyundais-first-electric-n-car-looks-like

No real details, but :shrug:

Other than the extremely tired red pinstripe and performance blue paint, looks like just a regular Ioniq 5 to me. and hot take, performance blue didn't even look good when it was new, never mind now however many N cars later.

The GT version of the ev6 got lime green calipers, lime green stitching and beefier engine/suspensions, little else. I don't think they are going to add the ioniq5 a :rice: bodykit with neon underglow.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Looks like they did indeed add a rear wiper; hope that gets added to the normal Ioniq 5s as well

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

and hot take, performance blue didn't even look good when it was new, never mind now however many N cars later.

:wrong:

The N livery is great and the Ioniq 5 was already the best looking CUV on the market. I think if they made it overly aggressive, it wouldn't work.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I love it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Walking past a new Nissan Frontier today, the bolt pattern stuck out to me because my brain is wired wrong.

I looked it up, 6x114.3, or 6x4.5

So, hold the gently caress up:

6 bolt pattern for no reason
imperial bolt circle.
Same bolt pattern as the Dodge viper

Can somebody explain the physics or engineering for me that makes 6x114.3 better than say 5x127

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

Can somebody explain the physics or engineering for me that makes 6x114.3 better than say 5x127

Could it be that the answer is in the accounting department? If that's what they've been using, it would be cheaper to keep what they can than to switch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Could it be that the answer is in the accounting department? If that's what they've been using, it would be cheaper to keep what they can than to switch.

It's not though. It's new to Nissan in 2017.

Only other non-badge engineered vehicles that have used it:

1997-2003 Dodge Dakota/Durango
93+ Dodge Viper
2008-2019 Kia Borrego/Mojave
1993-1996 Honda Jazz
2008-2013 Suzuki Equator
2006-2009 Pontiac Montana

e: If i had a new Frontier i would be running Viper 3 spokes on it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
There was a Honda Jazz with 6x114.3?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There was a Honda Jazz with 6x114.3?

Not that Jazz.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Not that Jazz.

The Isuzu Jazz. Still better than the other rebadged Honda from that era:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What's strange is that as far as i can tell, unless everywhere on the internet is wrong, the Isuzu Amigo it was based on is 6x139.7

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Powershift posted:

1993-1996 Honda Jazz
2008-2013 Suzuki Equator

Those are an Isuzu Mu and a Frontier, respectively. Dates back longer than 2017 too, Nissan have been using it on the Navara since at least 2005 that I can find currently. Not sure what my R50 Terrano/Pathfinder had.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KakerMix posted:

The Isuzu Jazz. Still better than the other rebadged Honda from that era:
"I bought it because Hondas are so reliable."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:lol:

I wonder what happened there

https://twitter.com/Motor1com/status/1679531076559986691?t=waL5TtocdFmrS1cZjsZ9dA&s=19

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0Ez8yLX94

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Knowing nothing else, I'd have to guess brake fade. I had that happen on track: all of the sudden the middle pedal wasn't as useful as it had been and trying to make the corner became an exercise in damage mitigation.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Safety Dance posted:

Knowing nothing else, I'd have to guess brake fade. I had that happen on track: all of the sudden the middle pedal wasn't as useful as it had been and trying to make the corner became an exercise in damage mitigation.

Yeah but isn't that at most about 30 seconds into a pretty fast hill climb? I'd guess some stupid software issue crashed the car moments before it crashed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, yeah, I don't know the course at Goodwood well enough to comment on that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JohnnySavs posted:

Yeah but isn't that at most about 30 seconds into a pretty fast hill climb? I'd guess some stupid software issue crashed the car moments before it crashed.

That's maybe 20 seconds into the run at best :ohdear:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TIL the Mazda CX-90 has a ginormous gasflap.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Air brake

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smooth jazz posted:

How to message out your design was supposed to be electric without saying it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any new car announced at this point probably has a contingency for a BEV version, gas flap got designed before everyone VHS'd to the much smaller form factor tesla charging standard

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

smooth jazz posted:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I feel like Mazda launched the CX90 at exactly the wrong time and is going to get crushed once again like their previous attempt to go upmarket.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like Mazda launched the CX90 at exactly the wrong time and is going to get crushed once again like their previous attempt to go upmarket.

If they could subsidize some of the high interest rates in their lease/financing, they could do alright...
These things are p wonderful, from what i saw...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's not though. It's new to Nissan in 2017.

Only other non-badge engineered vehicles that have used it:

1997-2003 Dodge Dakota/Durango
93+ Dodge Viper
2008-2019 Kia Borrego/Mojave
1993-1996 Honda Jazz
2008-2013 Suzuki Equator
2006-2009 Pontiac Montana

e: If i had a new Frontier i would be running Viper 3 spokes on it.

Nah, you've got it backwards. Now you can run Frontier wheels with all-season ditchfinders on your Viper and not pay $2k for a set of tires! There is no way this could backfire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

It has a dynamic brake proportioning system using regen which dynamic brake bias is the wooooorst idea for a track. Almost certainly when it put a wheel n the inside the entire system poo poo itself, the driver lost front brakes and maybe steering authority esp if it was steer by wire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlowBloke posted:

How to message out your design was supposed to be electric without saying it.

there's a PHEV version with an identical door on the other side for the electrons, i think they probably did this for symmetry/cost reasons.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A lot of cars with diesel variants in other countries also have an extra filler for the urea mix, and the gas model will just use the same set of filler parts and panels, many just have a blank spot on the gas model for where the extra filler would be.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/Hyundai_UK/status/1680972070908223489

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44565085/2024-hyundai-santa-fe-revealed/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looks like a stockier Land Rover

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

oh that rear 3/4 angle is rough

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pik_d posted:

Looks like a stockier Land Rover

Looks like if you put the wheels from the newer Navigator onto a Ford Flex, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
low polygon rear end car

to be fair the current one is... not attractive