Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

olylifter posted:

WIBTA if I told my parents I don't want to go back to living with them?

Seven years ago my (F17) parents decided to go on a world trip. Because I was too young to join them, they arranged for me to live with their best friends who've they've known since elementary school and they were giving temporary guardianship of me.

These friends (let's call them Pete and May) own and live on a horse ranch in Montana, so for me, having lived in Chicago until then, it was a huge change. I was (of course) really angry, depressed and sad at first because I felt like my parents abandoned me.

Pete and May really helped a lot in coming to terms with those feelings. They've always treated me like their own daughter and taught me so much. I learned how to ride horses and how to take care of them. I help out on the ranch regularly, while attending school virtually. We go horse riding in the open country and in the mountains every weekend with the three of us. They even gifted me my own horse to care for, and I love her so much. Honestly, this kind of life just sits so well with me. I am genuinely enjoying every second of my life.

I do have semi-regular contact with my parents, like once every few weeks. Sometimes a videocall/voicecall, sometimes just an email, postcards, etc. But after the initial period of feeling abandoned, I don't think I ever really missed them.

Now my parents have sent me a message saying they're done with their travels and are coming to pick me up so we can live together again, how much they missed me and can't wait to see me again. Which I think is really unfair because if they really missed me they wouldn't have gone off traveling for seven years.

And I just don't want to. After living so close to nature for so long, really getting into this lifestyle and spending so much time around the horses, I don't think I can go back to living in the city. I don't want to abandon my horse either, and honestly Pete and May feel more like my parents than my real parents at this point.

WIBTA if I told my parents that I don't really miss them and don't want to return to live with them and just want to stay where I am?

Abandoning one's 10 year old daughter, for 7 years, to travel, as one does.

just enjoy your new cool montanta family imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm (M29) in love with my FWB married friends, (M32) and (M30) and I don't know what to do. Please help.

Reddit is (almost disappointingly) telling him to get on his own feet first and not leave them in the position of dealing with a confession while he's sleeping on their couch, which is sensible advice, but on the other hand, this is just 'useless lesbian' but in a gay throuple situation.

:therapy:

seriously though, is there any realistic chance the married friends haven't realized that the OP is head-over-heels with them yet

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Oh, they absolutely know, yeah. Hope he can get on his feet so they can have the badly needed conversation without the whole power imbalance hanging overhead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

olylifter posted:

I really hope this gets a positive update.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beachcomber posted:

I really hope this gets a positive update.

at worst, OP has to go live with a couple of strangers for a few months until her 18th birthday

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

olylifter posted:

Reading the OP's comments about the parents sending a lot of postcards from quote, "Asian countries, Middle-Eastern countries, South-American countries, etc", I'm starting to agree with the Redditors who are thinking that the parents didn't go on a global gallivant, but were waiting for the statute of limitations on something to expire. :tinfoil:? Maybe, but it's kind of making sense to me.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

olylifter posted:

For some reason this reads like one of those AITAs that's a thin re-telling of some fictional setting. You know, "my kooky uncle has an heirloom ring from the war" and it's about Bilbo Baggins, or "I kissed a girl who turned out to be my long-lost sister" and it's Star Wars. Anyone got any ideas what would fit this one?

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Reading the OP's comments about the parents sending a lot of postcards from quote, "Asian countries, Middle-Eastern countries, South-American countries, etc", I'm starting to agree with the Redditors who are thinking that the parents didn't go on a global gallivant, but were waiting for the statute of limitations on something to expire. :tinfoil:? Maybe, but it's kind of making sense to me.

google returned this result for "crimes with a 7 year statute of limitations illinois": https://www.findlaw.com/state/illinois-law/illinois-criminal-statute-of-limitations-laws.html

quote:

Theft of property exceeding $100,000 in value: 7 years from the last act committed in furtherance of the crime.
Identity theft: 7 years from the last act committed in furtherance of the crime.
Aggravated identity theft: 7 years from the last act committed in furtherance of the crime.
Financial exploitation of an elderly person or person with a disability: 7 years from the last act committed in furtherance of the crime.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Could be, one of the first hits that comes up for 7 year statute of limitations is "major fraud" - so maybe some kind of financial crime? Not sure exactly how that'd work but if the parents really WERE traveling, it could explain why there was no mention of work/jobs or money trouble. If that's what happened I can't wait for an update on the situation, I hope the legal system fucks them over for both the fraud & child abandonment.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 17, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

olylifter posted:

Seven years ago my (F17) parents decided to go on a world trip. Because I was too young to join them, they arranged for me to live with their best friends who've they've known since elementary school and they were giving temporary guardianship of me.

These friends (let's call them Pete and May) own and live on a horse ranch in Montana, so for me, having lived in Chicago until then, it was a huge change. I was (of course) really angry, depressed and sad at first because I felt like my parents abandoned me.

Pete and May really helped a lot in coming to terms with those feelings. They've always treated me like their own daughter and taught me so much. I learned how to ride horses and how to take care of them. I help out on the ranch regularly, while attending school virtually. We go horse riding in the open country and in the mountains every weekend with the three of us. They even gifted me my own horse to care for, and I love her so much. Honestly, this kind of life just sits so well with me. I am genuinely enjoying every second of my life.

I do have semi-regular contact with my parents, like once every few weeks. Sometimes a videocall/voicecall, sometimes just an email, postcards, etc. But after the initial period of feeling abandoned, I don't think I ever really missed them.

Now my parents have sent me a message saying they're done with their travels and are coming to pick me up so we can live together again, how much they missed me and can't wait to see me again. Which I think is really unfair because if they really missed me they wouldn't have gone off traveling for seven years.

And I just don't want to. After living so close to nature for so long, really getting into this lifestyle and spending so much time around the horses, I don't think I can go back to living in the city. I don't want to abandon my horse either, and honestly Pete and May feel more like my parents than my real parents at this point.

WIBTA if I told my parents that I don't really miss them and don't want to return to live with them and just want to stay where I am?

Word up to Pete and May. They seem awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nurglings posted:

Make eggplant parmesan and tell him it's chicken
I have childhood eggplant trauma (staring at a cold plate for hours), so I may be overreacting, but eggplant texture is mushy and can in no way be mistaken for chicken.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm (M29) in love with my FWB married friends, (M32) and (M30) and I don't know what to do. Please help.

Reddit is (almost disappointingly) telling him to get on his own feet first and not leave them in the position of dealing with a confession while he's sleeping on their couch, which is sensible advice, but on the other hand, this is just 'useless lesbian' but in a gay throuple situation.

The power dynamic is the real issue but once this dude is in a better position I think this could be really sweet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Edit got confused

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 17, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AITA for ditching my girlfriend at a 5k because I wanted a better time?

quote:

My girlfriend [31f] and I [36m] have been together for about two years now. We live together.

About nine months ago I picked up running as a hobby and I have since grown quite fond of it. I currently run an average of 25 miles a week. A few months ago I decided I wanted to try a 5k or 10k, and after some Google searching found a 5k in my city that looked fun. I registered for it, paid the fee, and decided to start training specifically for it.

I mentioned it in passing to my girlfriend that night, and she asked if she could come too. I was psyched about the idea of running a 5k with her and said yes, but warned her that she would probably want to start training because I was going for a sub-27 minute time, which might be tough for a complete beginner.

She said she would like to train with me, which, again, sounded fun. The next morning I woke up at 5am for my run as I usually do, but my girlfriend was not up for it and told me she'd go later.

This continued for a week, and then two weeks, and finally I managed to get her up once for a run. She was miserable the entire time and I basically didn't get any exercise.

Last Friday, the day before the race, I asked if she was really up for it. She insisted she was. She then told me that she would just "skip-gallop" it, like she used to do with her mile runs in middle school. I asked her to demonstrate what a skip-gallop was, and she showed me this bizarre side-stepping gallop, as if she had casts on her legs. I told her it seemed like a really inefficient way to run, but she insisted it always worked for her.

Saturday was the day of the race and right out of the gate she utilized her skip-gallop strategy. Two minutes in I realized that she was already completely gassed. She started asking me to wait so we could walk together. I apologized, told her I loved her, and left her behind to finish the race. I ended up with a time of 26:43, beating my goal.

After the race I tried calling her but she wouldn't pick up. When I made my way back to the car I realized she had left me. I took an Uber home, and right when I walked in the door, I was met with cry-shrieking about how I ditched her. I tried to calm her down and explain that she kind of brought it on herself but she was not interested whatsoever.

Yesterday she gave me the silent treatment all day. Do I deserve what I'm getting here?
Here's another running related one.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Clocks posted:

it appears to me that the relationship

*puts sunglasses on*

has run it's course

*YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH*

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Fasdar posted:

It is fascinating how poverty creates both picky eaters who can only physically tolerate tendies and boxed potatoes as well as people who feel deeply guilty for not eating every single thing ever put in front of them.
Maybe :thejoke:, but that’s because it doesn’t? Children without the means to pout until they get tendies grow out of it, it’s only the ones whose parents have the time and money to cater to a Little Hitler that grow up to be awful adult babies.

Or they have legit sensory processing issues, which is both a different situation and also has a survivorship bias that selects for “enough $$$ and opportunity to get diagnosed + treated”

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Captain Hygiene posted:

:psyduck:

"and honestly Pete and May feel more like my parents than my real parents at this point"

Yeah, because they are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Temporary guardianship

FMguru posted:

Hey! She wasn't abandoned, they sent her postcards and stuff from time to time, sometimes even a phone call!

RC Cola posted:

just enjoy your new cool montanta family imo

I checked the comments, and a lot of people are suggesting that the parents may have been waiting out the statute of limitations on something, because they were gone for exactly 7 years, kept bouncing from country to country every couple of weeks, and somehow never went to a single European country during the whole seven years they were gone.

Commenters are also pointing out that OP is almost 18, so her bio parents can go kick rocks because no judge is going to change her guardianship at this point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is new and exciting information.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AmiYumi posted:

Maybe :thejoke:, but that’s because it doesn’t? Children without the means to pout until they get tendies grow out of it, it’s only the ones whose parents have the time and money to cater to a Little Hitler that grow up to be awful adult babies.

Or they have legit sensory processing issues, which is both a different situation and also has a survivorship bias that selects for “enough $$$ and opportunity to get diagnosed + treated”
No, a thing that definitely happens is, like, working parents. Dinner growing up is almost always tendies and fries thrown into the oven when Mom gets home from work, because that can cook while Mom is in the shower and the kids will definitely eat it. Lack of exposure to other foods plus the knowledge that if you try something and don't like it you'll have to eat it already or you're wasting the food and the money it represents = ordering tendies and fries (or, in my dad's case, a grilled cheese sandwich) everywhere due to a fear so deep you're not consciously aware of it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wait, isn't there an anime thing where women with gargantuan breasts shoot blood out of their nipples when they get excited? Sort of like how a nosebleed means they're horny?

It's milk, they milkgasm, I have been inflicted with too many images of this nonsense.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

No, a thing that definitely happens is, like, working parents. Dinner growing up is almost always tendies and fries thrown into the oven when Mom gets home from work, because that can cook while Mom is in the shower and the kids will definitely eat it. Lack of exposure to other foods plus the knowledge that if you try something and don't like it you'll have to eat it already or you're wasting the food and the money it represents = ordering tendies and fries (or, in my dad's case, a grilled cheese sandwich) everywhere due to a fear so deep you're not consciously aware of it

This was one of my cousins. Growing up, it was always frozen/instant stuff or restaurant food for him. He would come over on holidays where we had a small mountain of delicious, homemade food and basically just pick at some potatoes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's milk, they milkgasm, I have been inflicted with too many images of this nonsense.

I think by now I know the difference between milk and blood.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Clocks posted:

It sounds like he wanted a better time in more ways than one, tbh.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

wait, is that what strawberry milk is??

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hallo spacedog posted:

This is the most "furries, probably" thing I've read in this thread in a while

and now you're reminding me of the "yiff the otter" fiasco.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

okay, i'm gonna regret asking, but what "yiff the otter" fiasco

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well this is going to be a fun afternoon.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i hate that song

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

is that better or worse than the cuckies thing from earlier, to throw more fuel on the dumpster fire

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

InediblePenguin posted:

Lack of exposure to other foods plus the knowledge that if you try something and don't like it you'll have to eat it already or you're wasting the food and the money it represents
I think we’re talking past each other a bit - I grew up in one of these sorts of families, it created adults who go to the same chain restaurant and order the same steak/burger/whatever every time, yes, exactly as described for the reasons described. “This is your birthday splurge, you only get it once a year, get what you know you like” - yes, sure, that describes plenty of people.

But it doesn’t create the more extreme variant of

The_Franz posted:

This was one of my cousins. Growing up, it was always frozen/instant stuff or restaurant food for him. He would come over on holidays where we had a small mountain of delicious, homemade food and basically just pick at some potatoes.
this poo poo, the same way, unless the kid learns “we’re not getting you McDonald’s, eat what Nonna made or go to bed hungry” is an empty threat

Or maybe it’s all generational, it’s been over a decade since I studied any of this poo poo and the research was probably 5-10 years old when I did. :shrug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

okay, i'm gonna regret asking, but what "yiff the otter" fiasco

Oh, that's an old classic wtf internet story. There's a reading on the F Plus about it, it's just peak nerd social fallacy with a poly situation and a houseguest. There are three hundred points in this story where everyone involved should have kicked this guy out for being a total creep. TW: weirdo unhinged harassment to the point that he receives a pity handjob because that's easier than kicking a guy out of your own house when there's 2-3 of you, I guess.

https://thefpl.us/episode/100a

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742845

Here's an old post that has the whole thing in text. From listening to the F Plus try to read just parts of it, it sounds very hard to read. The furry terminology use is AGGRESSIVE

To be clear: the story you guys had is much nicer, but if I hear poly + furry, my brain screams Yiff The Otter at me, that is my curse.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 17, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

oh christ
I consider myself to be fairly reasonable but my tolerance would have snapped at that convenience store in Monterey, before they even got back to the house

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

okay yeah, that sure was a story. would have been about 500 lines shorter if anyone involved had a fuckin spine, tho

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AmiYumi posted:

But it doesn’t create the more extreme variant of

this poo poo, the same way, unless the kid learns “we’re not getting you McDonald’s, eat what Nonna made or go to bed hungry” is an empty threat

You're flat out wrong here. Only eating bland processed food is the root of the vast majority of picky eater situations, and by far the most common reason for that is two-income families needing to find something cheap and easy to make that they can shove into the kids in the couple of hours between getting home from work and sending the kids to bed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m sure this time we’ll come to an agreement about picky eaters.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foo Diddley posted:

okay yeah, that sure was a story. would have been about 500 lines shorter if anyone involved had a fuckin spine, tho

"I told him I wanted him out of my house and I was going to give him $600 for the inconvenience" my loving sides

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AmiYumi posted:

I think we’re talking past each other a bit -:
You literally said that poor kids can't grow up like this because only spoiled kids can demand tendies. I'm saying poor kids literally can and do grow up like this because they're not demanding the tendies, the tendies are what is being made every day anyway. Cheap store brand chicken nuggets from the oven that can be thrown in quickly by working parents who are not well off and are not spoiling the kids by giving into tantrums they're just preemptively serving picky-eater foods (that way IF the kids are picky they'll still eat it and nobody needs to think about it too hard)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If the picky eater will at least sniff and/or try a bite then I’ll respect the desire not to eat something.

But then I’m picky myself so I’m happy to be accommodating. I’ve refused food based on the smell, and welp.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I’m sure this time we’ll come to an agreement about picky eaters.

Oh thank GOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Disagreements over what is good to eat kept us on the move for millions of years, picky eaters may have been the main thing keeping us from creating bizarre world, but eventually everyone settled in a river valley with tendies and fries that pretty much everyone was cool with and did civilization about it.