Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Colomas are nice I played a couple at rufus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Pollyanna posted:

I think part of it might actually be the fact that I have a guitar teacher, and a very experienced one at that. Part of my ADHD is that I really don’t like being beholden to someone else’s expectations and assignments, and tying my pace to someone else’s annoys me and kills the whole vibe. Combined with the very scattershot approach my tutoring has taken and finding my teacher hard to follow sometimes, I might stop the lessons for the foreseeable future :( I can see tutoring being extremely valuable and useful for many people, but I just don’t think I’m in the right place for it at this time. I’d like to go it alone for a while.

you're your teacher's boss dude; they're a resource to help your process of learning, not an unchanging set of assignments and expectations.

have you raised any of your concerns with them? teaching is a reciprocal relationship; you have to let your teacher know what you need, and your teacher needs to know what is and isn't working for you. some teachers stink, and you shouldn't stick around with them if they do, but i would strongly encourage you to find a different teacher if you move on from this one. even if you don't want a formal one, ask around in the thread/ talk to other musicians. i will gladly give you a set of suggestions of things to do if your teacher doesn't work out

having a guitar teacher/homie is valuable for everyone IMO. it's very hard to be objective about your own progress and how you need to improve, and from my own lived experiences adhd symptoms make that even harder.

Spanish Manlove posted:

this sounds like entirely a mental problem (which we're not at all qualified to handle) than a guitar problem

i think i said something along these lines to you the last time i was reading the thread and a similar issue came up, but there's nothing wrong with asking fellow musicians for help with struggles learning the instrument. even if struggling to learn something has a mental basis, there's strategies and methods fellow players can provide advice about based on their own lived experiences.

learning an instrument can sometimes be difficult and overwhelming, there's no shame in talking about that fact with our peers. this line of conversation is something i personally find much more rewarding and valuable as a topic of discussion than what flavor of SG we're all into this week (no shade to the gearheads)

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

This rules, good job. I kept inserting strings and slide/lap parts guitar in my head to break it up a bit. Also I cleaned my gutters this morning before a big rain storm so I appreciate the synchronicity.

thanks for listening :) i would love to record this with a full-on country band, upright bass, pedal steel, the works

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there a less expensive alternative to the Fender Mustang Micro that the thread could recommend? I'm broke and living with my parents atm.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a less expensive alternative to the Fender Mustang Micro that the thread could recommend? I'm broke and living with my parents atm.
Vox amplug is good, half the cost. There are cheaper chinese clones floating around if the Vox headphone amp is still a bit steep of a price point.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

thank you I will check it out.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

If you can wait, they go on sale during Black Friday a lot. I got mine for more than 1/2 off last Black Friday.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

zelah posted:

I have a Coloma Guitars Freya on the way with p90s don’t @ me.

Nice, be sure to post a picture of it when you get it. I got one a little earlier this year, there were some issues with actually getting the guitar shipped to me (I posted about it in the Stupid Music poo poo thread) but thankfully it all got sorted out. Here's a bad picture of it that I just took:

Initially I didn't really bond with the guitar because I wasn't really getting the sounds I wanted out of the pickups (it's my first guitar with P90s) but I just tried adjusting the heights of the pole pieces and it seems to be more to my liking. Still need to do some more fine tuning and in the long run I might replace the pickups altogether but for now I need to just spend more time playing it.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 16, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pollyanna, aren't you having some "fun" at your job right now? Maybe I'm mixing you up with another goon.

My tech job is kicking my rear end right now and I just look at my guitar like "maybe some day I'll play you again, when corporate America isn't crushing my soul".

I think my body will finally be done next week after having quite a few issues with the finish company. It will be interesting trying to blog about the process without sounding pissed.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

homewrecker posted:

Nice, be sure to post a picture of it when you get it.

Yeah that shipping stuff doesn’t sound great. I’ll definitely keep the thread updated if something sketchy goes on/when I get it.

Yours looks great though! Glad adjusting the pickups is working out so far.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

If you PM me, I will send you both of these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2NJCVX/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QCGG319/

Very useful and sound good for their super cheap price point.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I get served the Coloma Guitars chick's videos all the time on TikTok. Seems like a cool person that believes in what they're doing.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone have experience with Lace Sensor pickups? I see lots of mixed opinions of them online, but I stumbled upon some old The Who videos where Townshend’s strat sounds fat and heavy as gently caress with a set of golds in them (apparently he just uses Clapton strats). Makes me really want to get a set of golds for my second strat and deafen myself.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gin_Rummy posted:

Anyone have experience with Lace Sensor pickups? I see lots of mixed opinions of them online, but I stumbled upon some old The Who videos where Townshend’s strat sounds fat and heavy as gently caress with a set of golds in them (apparently he just uses Clapton strats). Makes me really want to get a set of golds for my second strat and deafen myself.
Paging Dang It Bhabhi! to the Guitar Megathread.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gin_Rummy posted:

I have a lot of experience with Lace Sensors. Sup?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have a lot of experience with Lace Sensors. Sup?

Any reason I shouldn’t look into them? I’ve seen some complain about them being sterile, quiet, not as good as modern noiseless PUPs, etc. Admittedly, I’ve only done about ten minutes of googling, but those are just a few of the issues I read. The obvious counterpoint is that I can very easily hear Lace Sensors sounding like pure fire on live performances.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Almost all guitars on Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were stats with lace sensors. That may or may not be a selling point for you.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Almost all guitars on Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were stats with lace sensors. That may or may not be a selling point for you.

It is, actually!

The Strat I’d be loading with Lace Sensors is my tuned-down combo blues/Smashing Pumpkins axe. I never had an issue with the cleaner tones I’ve heard on those albums, and obviously the fuzzed up parts sound great too. How do Lace Sensors handle general blues, both high and low gain?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gin_Rummy posted:

Any reason I shouldn’t look into them? I’ve seen some complain about them being sterile, quiet, not as good as modern noiseless PUPs, etc. Admittedly, I’ve only done about ten minutes of googling, but those are just a few of the issues I read. The obvious counterpoint is that I can very easily hear Lace Sensors sounding like pure fire on live performances.

Well, they sound fundamentally different but let me explain how: Most pickups have a peak frequency that looks like a fairly skinny peak. This is what gives a lot pickups their character, both how skinny the peak and where it is placed. For various reasons Lace pickups are wide range pickups and their peak is a very wide. This is what gives their pickups the "HD"-like quality. I think most people either love it or hate it. Having said this, the hotter the Sensor the darker it gets just as with any pickup. Despite being wide range the Blue and Red Sensors can really growl. The Gold is much chimier as it is meant to emulate the classic Strat sound. Doug Martsch from Built to Spill has always used Golds.

Lastly, they're dead quiet without sounding lifeless like so many pickups with dummy coils.

Here is a Lace Red Sensor in the bridge of a Strat being played through a Big Muff. Those two things are all you need to get this tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KE9lvU810

Gin_Rummy posted:

It is, actually!

The Strat I’d be loading with Lace Sensors is my tuned-down combo blues/Smashing Pumpkins axe. I never had an issue with the cleaner tones I’ve heard on those albums, and obviously the fuzzed up parts sound great too. How do Lace Sensors handle general blues, both high and low gain?

They sound amazing, just different. Notice the clarity of Corgan's Muff tone vs, say, J Mascis' Muff tone.

I would order a Lace Ultimate Triple (Red, Silver, Blue) as this is what was loaded into Billy's guitar.
https://lacemusic.com/products/lace-sensor-ultimate-triple

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 17, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh and here's something that blew my mind when I measured it: The sound of the Deathbucker Alumitone is nearly the same, frequency-wise, as an EMG81 albeit with reduced output voltage. The SOUND of these two pickups is nearly identical and one them doesn't use a battery.

Note: I am no longer employed by this company and have no skin in the game there. I just like guitars.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Gin_Rummy posted:

Clapton Strats have an active mid boost that helps too. Not that the Laces won't sound fat and heavy but the other guy in my band has a Roadhouse strat with a similar circuit and it's amazing how little I want to turn that thing off when I play his rig.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The tone knob on my Squier got too loose or something and now it doesn’t grab onto the pot well enough and just falls off :cry:

Somewhat tempted to replace it with a cooler looking one off of Reverb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pollyanna posted:

The tone knob on my Squier got too loose or something and now it doesn’t grab onto the pot well enough and just falls off :cry:

Somewhat tempted to replace it with a cooler looking one off of Reverb.

superglue/cyanoacrylate will fix this in 10 seconds.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

A wiggly knob is your chance to justify buying another guitar. Don’t waste it! You need something to play while you figure out how to fix your old guitar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

False alarm, there’s a tightening screw on the side. The oversized novelty dial will have to wait. :v:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

duodenum posted:

A wiggly knob is your chance to justify buying another guitar. Don’t waste it! You need something to play while you figure out how to fix your old guitar.

Pollyanna posted:

False alarm, there’s a tightening screw on the side. The oversized novelty dial will have to wait. :v:

Wow so you post in this thread asking for help and then just ignore everyone's advice? Okay ... :mods:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wouldn’t be the first time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the best part about teles/strats is that they have a million parts to choose from

you've gotta hot rod the gently caress out of those things to make them your own

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the best part about teles/strats is that they have a million parts to choose from

you've gotta hot rod the gently caress out of those things to make them your own

Gorgeous, is that gold?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Harton posted:

Gorgeous, is that gold?

some sort of coated aluminum but it's a thick layer since I haven't scratched through it

I think the whole ensemble kinda makes it look a little "Iron Man"-esque which was not my intent but it plays nice as hell so what can I do

I love that 9.5" radius on a maple neck

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Love the look man, I got the gold pick guard on my strat and love it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, I've been toying with a turquoise one for my orange Tele, just go full Nickelodeon colour pallette with it.

Current guitar worry: my Strat got a fret dress done earlier this year - how many years do we have left,my poor baby is getting old (probably plenty).

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ive got the gold guard on my j mascis jazzmaster and on a p bass. I’m all in on gold guards these days, it’s kind of corny and gaudy but I like it. And it might even be functional!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2sKbdZh50

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
My acoustic's action was high so I tried lowering it with the truss rod to the recommended 1.75mm at the 12th fret. Once I did that I started getting fret buzz on the first two frets on the A and D strings. I raised it again but the buzz continued, now I'm at 2.5mm action and still getting fret buzz. Any advice?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

escapegoat posted:

My acoustic's action was high so I tried lowering it with the truss rod to the recommended 1.75mm at the 12th fret. Once I did that I started getting fret buzz on the first two frets on the A and D strings. I raised it again but the buzz continued, now I'm at 2.5mm action and still getting fret buzz. Any advice?

if the neck relief is in spec, take it to a tech so they can either lower the saddle or the nut. or do that yourself. but it's not something i do myself because irreversible and more difficult than lowering a Stratocaster saddle. Acoustics need to be setup to the player because there are no beginner level adjustments you can make like on an electric, and everybody has a different ideal action for themselves. you should not adjust neck relief to change action.. your neck relief should be set to spec and then adjust for action at saddle. Nut should also be set to a spec and not needing any changes ever. So Relief to spec -- > nut to spec --> then adjust action to liking with saddle height

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 18, 2023

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

ethanol posted:

you should not adjust neck relief to change action

Really? Everything I looked at treated adjusting the neck as a standard way to alter action. I've adjusted the saddle before on another guitar but the truss rod seemed the better option because like you said saddle is irreversible.

Given I now have this buzz probably going to have to take it to a tech anyway to sort out.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 18, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you need to adjust neck relief a lot (more than anything else probably) to bring it back into spec as humidity changes the guitar, that will affect the action. people mistakenly think that is how you adjust action. That's incorrect, the neck should be properly set, and then action is adjusted to final touch elsewhere. once the saddle / nut are correct you may have high or low action or one day, and you just need to bring the neck back into proper relief. But if the other components aren't right, no amount of changing the neck relief will fix your problem. In fact it will make it worse over time

acoustics tend to ship high because as I said, you can only shave down a saddle. so if it's too low then players effectively bought a busted guitar for them. so it's better to ship high and let techs shave it down to the player's preference.

(you can also replace the saddle btw, I say irreversible I mean without changing the saddle )

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 18, 2023

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

escapegoat posted:

Really? Everything I looked at treated adjusting the neck as a standard way to alter action. I've adjusted the saddle before on another guitar but the truss rod seemed the better option because like you said saddle is irreversible.

Given I now have this buzz probably going to have to take it to a tech anyway to sort out.

Nut height, relief, and action/saddle height alter three different aspects of the guitar - string height at nut, mid fretboard, and fretboard end respectively. They will all affect each other slightly, but if you have a high saddle then adjusting the truss enough to alter action at the fretboard end, for example, will likely throw the other specs off.

Whereabouts on the board are you trying to lower the action?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gaudy gold chat:

This instrument was a one-off. It was built by Zion guitars, and the body was built and finished by Tom Anderson Guitarworks. It is a replica of a Valley Arts Steve Lukather Model, with a quilted maple body and bird's eye maple neck, ebony fretboard, and gold hardware. It came with EMGs like the Lukather, but my Dad swapped out pickguards and loaded it with a couple gold covered humbuckers. When he traded it to me I decided to keep the gold but I bought a pickguard and put gold singles in it, too. They are custom shop Seymour Duncans. A custom Saturday Night Special in the bridge (trem-spaced, overwound) and Psychedelic singles with gold pole pieces in the neck and middle. It lives in its case because I am afraid to hurt it, but it sounds amazing and plays like butter. It is a little heavy. But it'll burn your eyes out if you look at it too long!

It doesn't have a serial number, it was built for Pete Petty, the guitarist for My 3 Sons. He's a friend of the family.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063622534660

escapegoat posted:

Sounds like your neck is too straight and needs more relief. Loosen the truss rod about 1/8 turn and check it, give it time to settle, and repeat. Or have your luthier check the relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, I've been toying with a turquoise one for my orange Tele, just go full Nickelodeon colour pallette with it.

Current guitar worry: my Strat got a fret dress done earlier this year - how many years do we have left,my poor baby is getting old (probably plenty).

Looking like Aquaman and some poo poo