Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I had no idea the star of Birdemic was modding these forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

It's not just pizza. Connecticut is the loving worst. A whole state that's a NIMBY bedroom community for bridge-and-tunnel Yankees fans and mouth breathing Disney cruise enthusiasts. It's just Ohio with insurance conglomerates instead of manufacturing. Connecticut is the home of 80s summer camp movie villains. Fix your potholes, your racism and your poo poo-fired soot pizza before you come after any state except (maybe) Alabama or Mississippi.

Wait until you hear that part of Ohio used to belong to Connecticut. Also Connecticut isn't just urban decay and racism, it's also rural and racist East of the river!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm not American and I'm never going to try one, but are deep dish pizzas not just absolute poo poo? They look awful.
As an American they're super loving gross unless you're the type of person who both enjoys, and whose stomach can actually handle, eating spoonfuls of melted cheese and soggy crust.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Just realized I may have some content for this thread.

My neighbor baked me a tomato pie. From what I can gather it has tomatoes, onions, cheese, and crust - so it's kind of a pizza?

I did not expect to like it, and honestly feel kind of confused while eating it, but as a picky eater I keep finishing the slices.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I didn't think someone could make a dish stupider than quiche, but here we are.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That looks so loving good what the hell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That style of tomato pie is good, yeah. I dunno why anyone would have a problem with it on principle.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Deep dish pizza doesn't have soggy crust. It's hard/flaky and buttery. You should be able to pick up the slice with your hand for a short while if you really wanted before the cheese decides to escape over the side, and even then it should be a nice, slow escape. It's best to eat with a fork and knife, though.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is there such a thing as a "good" frozen pizza?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Failson posted:

Home Run Inn is the one brand I used to love. I haven't had them in a decade, I think they're fairly locally distributed to states around their Chicago restaurant location (which I moved away from). Just a really high quality, hefty pizza with tons of cheese, I really miss them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

I had no idea the star of Birdemic was modding these forums

I was much prettier in my youth.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Failson posted:

Most of them are palatable but the main problem is they're never even close to edible the next day.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Failson posted:

If they’re not mass produced they can be pretty good, like a Matey’s pizza in eastern PA. Buy local!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Silent Hill 2 & 3 crossover

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mister Speaker posted:

I didn't think someone could make a dish stupider than quiche, but here we are.

Quiche Lorraine is buttery pastry, bacon, eggs, cheese and onion. It's unimpeachable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AARD VARKMAN posted:

"big brain hole"

i love big brain holes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pie is good, savory pie is good. I have my own idea that pizza is actually not a pie because it has a very different form factor.

Failson posted:

I've had a decent amount that I like. Open Nature and Signature Select I've had the most success with, Red Baron is hit and miss. It's been a while since I shopped around with other pizza brands, but I feel like being cheap is important because otherwise you're better just ordering, and the more expensive brands didn't seem to to correlate to quality anyways last I tried.

Thinner crust I think also does better than whatever trick that frozen pizza likes to try with rising crusts. Less worry about it ending up uncooked.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Thinner crust I think also does better than whatever trick that frozen pizza likes to try with rising crusts. Less worry about it ending up uncooked.

Yeah, toppings can be pretty okay with a good frozen pizza, but getting a good rising crust I think is just asking to much.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I really like Dr. Oetker's fancy-pants thin crusts in American groceries but they've gotten way more expensive lately.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The mad doktor has made his way stateside? I'd have thought homeland security would be better prepared for this eventuality :ohdear:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
the Oetker selection around here is pretty tame and hella tasty, like a really loaded and nice mushroom pie or a pepperoni/pesto thing - none of the mind-numbing eye-clawing insanity that makes it to these threads. Checking online tho, looks like prices may have gone back down a bit so I guess I'm having a frozen pizza goon lunch soon

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the year before last costco had these thin crust frozen pizzas from italy with three types of salami and mushrooms, minimal cheese, and delicious sauce, and they were the best frozen pizzas i ever had. every single one of the cashiers i took them to said something to the effect of "holy poo poo, have you tried these, they rule!" and they were right.

then they were gone, and have never returned.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The mad doktor has made his way stateside? I'd have thought homeland security would be better prepared for this eventuality :ohdear:

My question is if they brought over their Big Americans brand and if so, what did they rename it to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4Q08kDScE

(shamelessly inspired by those Old Spice commercials)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I ate a Dr. Oekter's pepperoni & pesto a few weeks a go, it was pretty nice. Salty in the good way. The thing was greasy as gently caress though, when I cut it into slices pools of grease immediately formed on the plate. I tried to be careful but still ended up with my hands and face covered in grease, and had to wash myself afterwards. Would do it again when drunk tho.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Failson posted:

These are excellent, made with Italian voodoo because they shouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are.

https://www.crostamollica.com/products/pizza

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

StoryTime posted:

I ate a Dr. Oekter's pepperoni & pesto a few weeks a go, it was pretty nice. Salty in the good way. The thing was greasy as gently caress though, when I cut it into slices pools of grease immediately formed on the plate. I tried to be careful but still ended up with my hands and face covered in grease, and had to wash myself afterwards. Would do it again when drunk tho.

As any connoisseur would know, Dr. O has half a dozen different lines of za so you have to be more specific. It has been a while but I only recall ever seeing the Restaurante line in the states. That's kind of their bottom-tier za but still better, or at least lighter than a lot of frozen za.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

My question is if they brought over their Big Americans brand and if so, what did they rename it to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4Q08kDScE

(shamelessly inspired by those Old Spice commercials)

The Donald Trump

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Last year when I was in the throes of depression I ate a lot of lovely McCain and Dr. Oetker frozen 'zas and every time I'd hate myself a bit more for it. There are smaller Mom & Pop places that do frozen pizzas and they usually sell them through local breweries (something else I was also hitting up a lot through delivery services last year), they're always much better than the grocery store brands.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Quiche Lorraine is buttery pastry, bacon, eggs, cheese and onion. It's unimpeachable.

To each their own, but I don't gently caress with quiche. I'd much rather have those ingredients in a soft omelette than bake it in a pastry.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Speaker posted:

Last year when I was in the throes of depression I ate a lot of lovely McCain and Dr. Oetker frozen 'zas and every time I'd hate myself a bit more for it.
That's just what happens when you eat the same easy depression meal every time, doesnt matter what it is. Frozen pizzas are generally pretty good, and if you add your own fresh ingredients to them theyre especially good. Of course, I also like fresh pizzas, but theyre like a whole different dish to me than frozen pizza somehow, and theres nothing wrong with the frozen ones.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't know that I've had a single high carb pizza that actually tasted good in my life. Pizza with fries or potatoes are rear end

I had an amazing twice-baked potato pizza like five years ago that I still think about

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I had an amazing twice-baked potato pizza like five years ago that I still think about

after you baked the pizza, was it thrice baked?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Y'all getting pizza n scared of carbs might as well gently caress off. Eating a largely carb thing n worrying about carbs is indicative that you care but not enough to do poo poo. Work a physical job or pick up some metal or jog or wank a lot if you're so scared of carbs. Let people that care about flavour enjoy a poutine pizza or dipping bread sticks(skinny pizzas) in marinara and mash.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I didn't mean that to be lovely,but stand with it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's time to carb up, boys

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

it's time to carb up, boys

:craboot: Hell yea- *reads more closely* uh, carry on

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It does bring to mind a take I once read that pepperoni is a terrible topping for pizza because it's just salt and fat on something that's already salty and fatty.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'd agree with half of that.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

nesamdoom posted:

Y'all getting pizza n scared of carbs might as well gently caress off. Eating a largely carb thing n worrying about carbs is indicative that you care but not enough to do poo poo. Work a physical job or pick up some metal or jog or wank a lot if you're so scared of carbs. Let people that care about flavour enjoy a poutine pizza or dipping bread sticks(skinny pizzas) in marinara and mash.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

It does bring to mind a take I once read that pepperoni is a terrible topping for pizza because it's just salt and fat on something that's already salty and fatty.

Was this take generated by a computer, which is fundamentally limited in that it can have no personal understanding of the concept of taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

How is cheese pizza salty? There's nearly no salt in mozzarella or pizza sauce.. I don't understand the op.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 23, 2023